Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Milwaukee Mitchell Airport now has indoor maps. (Took a look at that after seeing it mentioned on Reddit).

I don't know why, but I'm a little surprised to see a smaller airport with the feature. Don't get me wrong...not complaining at all! I think it's great! I totally see the value in having indoor maps for LARGE international airports, but Milwaukee isn't that big. For large airports...it's a VERY helpful feature. For smaller airports (like Milwaukee)...I'd consider it almost like a nice bonus! Hope to see some of the smaller airports I frequently travel through!

EDIT: I have also read multiple times that there may be a correlation between gate numbers showing up...and an airport later having indoor maps. I checked the airports I regularly go through just to see if they show gates. Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Ft. Myers...do not show gates. San Francisco...does. So if it's true that that gates on the map are a "sign" of upcoming indoor maps...SFO could be coming soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: dk001

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Milwaukee Mitchell Airport now has indoor maps. (Took a look at that after seeing it mentioned on Reddit).

I don't know why, but I'm a little surprised to see a smaller airport with the feature. Don't get me wrong...not complaining at all! I think it's great! I totally see the value in having indoor maps for LARGE international airports, but Milwaukee isn't that big. For large airports...it's a VERY helpful feature. For smaller airports (like Milwaukee)...I'd consider it almost like a nice bonus! Hope to see some of the smaller airports I frequently travel through!

EDIT: I have also read multiple times that there may be a correlation between gate numbers showing up...and an airport later having indoor maps. I checked the airports I regularly go through just to see if they show gates. Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Ft. Myers...do not show gates. San Francisco...does. So if it's true that that gates on the map are a "sign" of upcoming indoor maps...SFO could be coming soon.

Be good to see. I love how GM has so many airports, train stations, etc... in detail. Apple Maps really needs detail like this.

Reactions: iOS Geek

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Be good to see. I love how GM has so many airports, train stations, etc... in detail. Apple Maps really needs detail like this.
Thanks for mentioning GM. I didn't even think about checking that! I just looked at San Francisco, Ft. Myers, Anchorage, and Fairbanks. All four of them have indoor maps. I would label Ft. Myers as the "roughest" or "least detailed" of the four, though.

Seeing that now...makes me wonder a bit. Maybe it's not reliant on the airport providing the data after all. Maybe Apple really IS doing it themselves. The reason I say this is because comparing the indoor maps between GM and AM of O'Hare, for instance...I don't think I would say the data from each is on-par compared to the other. Apple appears to be more detailed. If the data were coming from the airports themselves, you'd think the maps would look exactly the same (not accounting for the different "look and feel" that Google and Apple have for their maps).

Reactions: dk001

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Thanks for mentioning GM. I didn't even think about checking that! I just looked at San Francisco, Ft. Myers, Anchorage, and Fairbanks. All four of them have indoor maps. I would label Ft. Myers as the "roughest" or "least detailed" of the four, though.

Seeing that now...makes me wonder a bit. Maybe it's not reliant on the airport providing the data after all. Maybe Apple really IS doing it themselves. The reason I say this is because comparing the indoor maps between GM and AM of O'Hare, for instance...I don't think I would say the data from each is on-par compared to the other. Apple appears to be more detailed. If the data were coming from the airports themselves, you'd think the maps would look exactly the same (not accounting for the different "look and feel" that Google and Apple have for their maps).

That is a great point.
I first started to really notice and use it a couple years back when I was in Tokyo. It really helps with trains.
Here is the current and swapping floors is so helpful.
F1F05F16-12B2-4853-8C6C-3A7A2CF2CEB1.png

This is the type of interaction and data AM really hopefully gets.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Seeing lots of green in Germany. (not "new maps" green, but still more green nonetheless). Has anyone been keeping track of Europe to know how recently that showed up?

That’s how it goes: you start seeing more green (base layer) and then some months later new maps shows up.

Reactions: dk001 and iOS Geek

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
The airports aren’t required to supply the info. Google uses its own info and crowd sourcing. No different than a lot of their transit info.

Apple has simply taken a different path and chooses to work directly with government or local “owners”...I’m sure with some agreement that info is provided on a regular interval.

For the areas in transit where this has been implemented for example, Apple is clearer and more up to date.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
That’s how it goes: you start seeing more green (base layer) and then some months later new maps shows up.
Yep, I remember hearing that here, I think! Also noticing more green in Israel. Haven’t heard anything about Apple working on that part of the world yet though. Only reason I keep an eye on that one is because my wife is from there. Guess I’ll start keeping more of an eye on it to track any more changes!

Reactions: gwhizkids

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
That’s same in U.K. Iv started noticing difference with things. So hopefully this is the start of Europe rollout.

If you can, grab some screenshots of various areas and then check on them once a week to see if you notice any changes.

Then again, I guess I could do that as well...I just have less motivation since I live in the USA.

Reactions: gwhizkids

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Nothing new to report on the map itself that I've noticed, but I saw on Reddit that Apple has put info on their website for data collection in the Netherlands. There was also mention of the US being listed/updated on Apple's website, so I took a look. All 50 states are listed for January-December 2020. Looking at the list, they are covering every county/parish/borough in the US by vehicle this year. To me, that speaks volumes about how "up-to-date" they will be keeping the maps. I must say I'm impressed! That might end up explaining how I've seen 3D models in the standard map view show up even though the buildings they show don't exist as of the most recent satellite imagery (such as new houses in my neighborhood and the new building at the community college for example. None of which exist on the satellite imagery yet, but DO have a 3D model in standard view).

Pedestrian data collection is still limited, which I kind of expected. For instance, the only county in Illinois that's listed is Cook and that is listed as October 2019-June 2020.

Speedman100

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2013
I noticed some building models added to the map in my area that were not on there a month ago. These are newly constructed buildings. Good to see updates coming in.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Nothing new to report on the map itself that I've noticed, but I saw on Reddit that Apple has put info on their website for data collection in the Netherlands.

Same for France and as far as I remember the UK was intensely “data collected” over the last year. The question is how long will it take Apple to actually put this freshly collected data to use.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Well, it took a few times (maybe 4) submitting a change for a local park I was frequenting, But AM finally got it right.

When I punched in directions, it would always take me to the only parking lot, but then wanted me to walk to the center of the park where the actual marker on the map was. I kept submitting a change to stop the directions at the parking lot as that is where people really want to go. They finally got the hint (or understood what I was submitting) and end the directions now at the parking lot.

They also added multiple parking lots for another park I started going to. I simply named the parking lots for the park as it's own POI versus the park itself. Was surprised that they added them in just a few days! Now people looking up the park should see the park as well as both parking lots associated with it and choose where they want to go.

Still want to see the "edit entrances" option come back that they teased us with in the early betas last year or just a better interface for corrections in iOS14.

Reactions: dk001 and gwhizkids

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Well, it took a few times (maybe 4) submitting a change for a local park I was frequenting, But AM finally got it right.

When I punched in directions, it would always take me to the only parking lot, but then wanted me to walk to the center of the park where the actual marker on the map was. I kept submitting a change to stop the directions at the parking lot as that is where people really want to go. They finally got the hint (or understood what I was submitting) and end the directions now at the parking lot.

They also added multiple parking lots for another park I started going to. I simply named the parking lots for the park as it's own POI versus the park itself. Was surprised that they added them in just a few days! Now people looking up the park should see the park as well as both parking lots associated with it and choose where they want to go.

Still want to see the "edit entrances" option come back that they teased us with in the early betas last year or just a better interface for corrections in iOS14.
I could almost swear I saw the “edit entrances” recently, but I guess I’m mistaken. I’ll have to look again!

Reactions: compwiz1202

DingeZ

macrumors member
May 3, 2016
Amsterdam

So, everybody who uses walking directions to go to the park is sent to the parking lot instead? That doesn't seem like an improvement.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
So, everybody who uses walking directions to go to the park is sent to the parking lot instead? That doesn't seem like an improvement.

It’s the entrance to the park and where most people would start a walk on the paths, so yes it is.

The park marker was in the random “middle” of the park and not where people typically walk to.

01a52b717b7225c133c774192e6dd137.plist

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I could almost swear I saw the “edit entrances” recently, but I guess I’m mistaken. I’ll have to look again!
Yea I used it a few months ago. Unfortunately, they never changed it. They fixed incorrect hours I reported in days but won't fix the location for Panera. It stops just as you enter the mall area, but someone who doesn't have a general idea of the layout will have no idea where to go from there.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Yea I used it a few months ago. Unfortunately, they never changed it. They fixed incorrect hours I reported in days but won't fix the location for Panera. It stops just as you enter the mall area, but someone who doesn't have a general idea of the layout will have no idea where to go from there.

You can still edit entrances in the “report issue” portion of the route screen, but not on a POI screen...or multiple entrances or by type (drive, walk, etc) like they had on the beta last year for a week.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I remember using it during the betas and while I DID see them make changes based on those reports...it was very inconsistent. Some reports saw a change and some didn't. Definitely something I would be very happy to see come back in the form it did in the betas.
[automerge]1592260656[/automerge]
Also...I recently read about a list of airports that recently gained indoor maps. There was a pretty decent list going on Reddit and I DO see them listed on Apple's website. However, I haven't been able to view them. For example, Istanbul is listed as having indoor maps, but when I go to look at it, indoor maps don't show. (An issue that currently has a thread going on Reddit).

And still missing from the list...is SFO!

Blaster13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
So in U.K. Iv noticed when using turn by turn navigation my say nav starts turning weird ways and does weird stuff. Is this down to all new updates then?

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
So in U.K. Iv noticed when using turn by turn navigation my say nav starts turning weird ways and does weird stuff. Is this down to all new updates then?
Can’t say I recall having an issue like that when they started working on my area (Midwestern United States). But I would say it could maybe indicate that something is being worked on. Have you read anything by Justin O’Bierne? His website has a section dedicated to whatever the next release may be. He believes the UK will be the first part of Europe to be released for testing and based on previous timelines from the US releases, could be anytime between now and July. So that suggests the UK could enter the testing phase pretty much anytime now.

Last edited:
Reactions: ian6969

ian6969

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2019
Can’t say I recall having an issue like that when they started working on my area (Midwestern United States). But I would say it could maybe indicate that something is being worked on. Have you read anything by Justin O’Bierne? His website has a section dedicated to whatever the next release may be. He believes the UK will be the first part of Europe to be released and based on previous timelines from the US releases, could be anytime between now and July. So that suggests the UK could enter the testing phase pretty much anytime now.
Thanks for the heads-up, Justin O’Bierne’s web site has got some great info on it. It will be good to see the U.K. updated, seems like we’ve been waiting for ever ? Having said that, I’ve found Apple Maps better than Google for some years now in all aspects apart from the initial search for a location.

Blaster13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
Can’t say I recall having an issue like that when they started working on my area (Midwestern United States). But I would say it could maybe indicate that something is being worked on. Have you read anything by Justin O’Bierne? His website has a section dedicated to whatever the next release may be. He believes the UK will be the first part of Europe to be released and based on previous timelines from the US releases, could be anytime between now and July. So that suggests the UK could enter the testing phase pretty much anytime now.
Yeah it’s weird it used to be static all time and follow when I turned, now when I’m at least half a mile from a turning it’s like it’s following the road layout and turns and twists then coming to a roundabout, it will almost look like it’s going sideways and raising if that makes sense.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Yeah it’s weird it used to be static all time and follow when I turned, now when I’m at least half a mile from a turning it’s like it’s following the road layout and turns and twists then coming to a roundabout, it will almost look like it’s going sideways and raising if that makes sense.

I never experienced that prior to the updates taking place in the USA...but there were a bunch of "glitches" like incorrect traffic data (there but occurring on the wrong spot of the route), odd routing every once and a while, just weird stuff that would pop up and then go away a week later. You could really tell they were working on stuff.

I was hoping that by doing the USA first they would really figure out all of the bugs or weird data points needed to address before moving to other countries, but with different routing and driving rules, I'm sure some will still pop up as they develop.

Can't wait to see what may be developed in the first beta or two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.