Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Another day...and other than a pond that was added to the map in the town park, not much new to report. My neighborhood park is still missing its pool. (It's roughly the same size as the town's public pool, which was added recently).

I sent in a few reports last week to correct some misplaced markers and also add a few. Haven't heard back on any of them yet...which now makes this the longest duration I've gone between making the initial report and hearing back about it. Maybe if I look in the mirror and say "maps" three times, something interesting will happen ?

However, while digging around, I noticed that there is a street near me that's name is spelled wrong. I checked Google Maps, just to see if they had it spelled right, but it turns out they have the same spelling as Apple. I'll be sending a report about this one. I'm assuming the best way to go about this would be to submit a picture of the actual street sign itself with my report? It is a currently undeveloped section of my neighborhood, but the streets are all named and the signs are up...so all it will take is for me to go for a quick walk!

Reactions: dk001

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Another day...and other than a pond that was added to the map in the town park, not much new to report. My neighborhood park is still missing its pool. (It's roughly the same size as the town's public pool, which was added recently).

I sent in a few reports last week to correct some misplaced markers and also add a few. Haven't heard back on any of them yet...which now makes this the longest duration I've gone between making the initial report and hearing back about it. Maybe if I look in the mirror and say "maps" three times, something interesting will happen ?

However, while digging around, I noticed that there is a street near me that's name is spelled wrong. I checked Google Maps, just to see if they had it spelled right, but it turns out they have the same spelling as Apple. I'll be sending a report about this one. I'm assuming the best way to go about this would be to submit a picture of the actual street sign itself with my report? It is a currently undeveloped section of my neighborhood, but the streets are all named and the signs are up...so all it will take is for me to go for a quick walk!

maybe click your heals too? :p

I usually include pics or screenshots. Can't tell if they help but figure they can't hurt either.

• Haha
Reactions: iOS Geek

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
maybe click your heals too? :p

I usually include pics or screenshots. Can't tell if they help but figure they can't hurt either.
?

And yeah, looking back, I don't think I've submitted screenshots for any of my previous reports. (But I also haven't had any that I remember would have even been helped by having one). No matter what my report is though, I always put something in the "optional" text box. Like you said, not sure if it actually helps but it also doesn't hurt. So this would be a situation where an actual picture would be useful. Alright then! Guess I know what I'm doing after lunch!

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Buildings in downtown Brooklyn are certainly looking more detailed lately.

AE43CF41-A02F-475E-A495-E510AA03EADB.png

Also, a stop sign at an intersection near my home was recently replaced with a traffic light. I took pictures and sent it onto Apple, and they updated the map (during navigation) within three days.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Is anyone here sometimes using Waze on Apple CarPlay? I used it this morning for the first time in months (after a few updates), and for the life of me, I can't find a way to "voice" a destination search. It's like the button is missing on CarPlay. I don't see a microphone or anything.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Yeah, after reading this I decided to take a look around my area again just so see if I noticed anything else than what I recently mentioned. No new building changes other than the ones I recently mentioned. However...I can almost swear that the colors have been altered slightly so they can better contrast with each other. Specifically the different shades of green they use to show areas that are more tree covered and the green they use for open fields/marsh/farmland. Maybe my eyes are messing with me (and I can't really compare since I didn't keep my screenshots), but I feel like the already darker shade of green...was made a little more "vivid" and the other shade of green was also changed slightly. As for Dark Mode, the greens are still a little tough, but I almost feel like that has been adjusted (VERY slightly).

It just feels like something changed.
[automerge]1587056343[/automerge]

I agree. Really the only thing I notice in my town is that the places that outright closed for the duration...their card in Maps says "temporarily closed". But everything else that's still open, it's showing their normal operating hours despite the fact that NONE of these businesses are operating under those same hours. Some may close at their normal time, but they don't open at their normal time. Some are the opposite of that. Some shortened their hours on both ends. None of which are reflected. What you mentioned would definitely be a huge help because a lot of our businesses that are doing delivery, for instance...did NOT offer that normally. Really the only way people know these businesses are doing this...is if they follow the business on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram. Or if they heard about it through word of mouth. Delivery from these places also probably won't continue to do so once this all settles down, since it's small businesses who are doing it simply because it's their only option right now. So it would be nice to know for now, while that lasts.

You may have to go a few pages back to see my picture about it, but at one point, there was a "temporary hours" section listed on a business's card...and I saw it on every business I tapped on. I haven't seen that section ever since then. The thing about those "temporary hours" though was that they were listed as exactly the same as the businesses normal listed hours.
Google has always been poor for us for hours even before this. And is there a way to just search delivery and get a list nearby? Would like to find more places who deliver themselves to stop using the crappy third parties.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Google has always been poor for us for hours even before this. And is there a way to just search delivery and get a list nearby? Would like to find more places who deliver themselves to stop using the crappy third parties.
There is a search shortcut in Apple Maps that shows you places that do "food delivery". But what I can't tell you...is if they deliver themselves. It will depend on a per-business basis. For instance, if I hit that shortcut, it brings up the usual delivery "suspects": pizza, Chinese, stuff like that. But it also shows a lot of places in my town that never offered delivery before this quarantine. (The family businesses, the pub, etc). Some of them use third parties to deliver...some do it themselves. I ordered delivery recently from a place in town and the owner herself was the one driving around town to do the deliveries. We do have businesses out here that are doing deliveries through third parties, but they seem to be in the minority. Most businesses out here opted to handle it themselves because it gives them more control over the whole experience. (Which is actually a reason I've read about online for quite a few businesses). And I think it's great that they're doing it that way! The less people it has to have contact with to get to you, the better!

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Is anyone here sometimes using Waze on Apple CarPlay? I used it this morning for the first time in months (after a few updates), and for the life of me, I can't find a way to "voice" a destination search. It's like the button is missing on CarPlay. I don't see a microphone or anything.

Even when I tried to use the microphone in the past it didn't work. Haven't tried it lately.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Remember the other day when I said I hadn't heard anything from Apple regarding the reports I made? And that it was now the longest period I had gone from initial report...to hearing about it? Well...I woke up this morning to a response to each and every one ? Checked the app to see if the changes were actually reflected and YEP they are!

Took a little longer than what I would consider "usual" (compared to my personal experience in the past), but they got it done!

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
This is weird. This Burger King had incorrect hours, so a few days ago, I sent a correction in to show that the restaurant is open 24/7. Apple Maps corrected the hours two days later.

If you click on this Burger King from the map itself, it properly shows the restaurant being open 24/7. But if I try to navigate there on Apple CarPlay, CarPlay tells me they’re closed. How weird.

64CCF559-0A73-418A-9A53-DFDEF1D6C087.png

251A8CB7-6864-47A7-A006-B581C0F98B47.png

Reactions: compwiz1202

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
This is weird. This Burger King had incorrect hours, so a few days ago, I sent a correction in to show that the restaurant is open 24/7. Apple Maps corrected the hours two days later.

If you click on this Burger King from the map itself, it properly shows the restaurant being open 24/7. But if I try to navigate there on Apple CarPlay, CarPlay tells me they’re closed. How weird.

View attachment 913716

View attachment 913715
When I reported hours for another restaurant, they were quick about fixing it too, but I never checked for the CarPlay discrepancy. But I also reported a bad entry point for Panera months ago, and they never answered, and last I looked it was still wrong. It shows the end point just as you enter the shopping center, and if you were never there before, you wouldn't know which way to go from there.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
When I reported hours for another restaurant, they were quick about fixing it too, but I never checked for the CarPlay discrepancy. But I also reported a bad entry point for Panera months ago, and they never answered, and last I looked it was still wrong. It shows the end point just as you enter the shopping center, and if you were never there before, you wouldn't know which way to go from there.

All of the restaurants on AM in my area still for the most part have the normal prepandemic hours and status.
Well ... kind of.

Close to me:
Panera - AM says closed
Sharky's - AM says open
Urbane - AM says open
Jamba - AM says open
Redbrick - AM says open.

Actually they really are:
Panera - curbside (mask required) and delivery
Sharkys - curbside and no-contact delivery
Urbane - curbside and no-contact delivery
Jamba - closed
Redbrick - curbside only

I sent these in but am not holding my breathe as all the local restaurants are pretty much un-updated in AM.
Is "un-updated" a word? ?

?

• Sad
Reactions: compwiz1202

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I know I've mentioned this before (maybe a few times ? ). I'm still surprised that SFO doesn't have indoor maps. I think it's the only major US airport to not have it. If I recall correctly, someone on here said Apple depends on the airport itself providing them with that information. If that's the case, I wonder why SFO hasn't done it. Even the Oakland airport has it. For me, it's not a big deal. I go through SFO fairly often. As far as I'm concerned, I don't think of it as a confusing airport. For those unfamiliar with it though...indoor maps would be helpful.

As far as other airports I would like to see...I think Anchorage could also be a benefit. Maybe even Fairbanks. RSW in Ft. Myers, Florida would be nice as well. Now granted, those three airports are ones I go through quite often as well, I could find my way through those airports with my eyes closed...and I wouldn't label them as "huge", but it would still be helpful to a lot of people.

When it comes to updates for indoor maps, I wonder how Apple will be handling the O'Hare expansion. (I'm putting the link to the project below if you want to see what's being done). If they truly rely on the airports providing them with the data, then updates should come pretty quick as the project goes on. The map for Woodfield Mall was updated fairly quickly after a sizable renovation on a section of the upper level, so I would imagine the airport would be updated pretty quickly after the project is finished (which is still a ways off at this point...for example, the website has the groundbreaking for Global Terminal in 2023 with it opening in December 2028. There are also satellite terminals that are to be completed before the groundbreaking, because the plans call for no reduction in gates during the construction of the Global Terminal...which means the satellite ones have to be done and open by whenever the groundbreaking is for Global in 2023. Terminal 5 is also having an expansion that is supposed to open in 2021). So it's definitely not a change we'd see on the map anytime soon. But I'm already curious as to how it will be handled!

Last edited:
Reactions: MozMan68

Speedman100

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2013
I know I've mentioned this before (maybe a few times ? ). I'm still surprised that SFO doesn't have indoor maps. I think it's the only major US airport to not have it. If I recall correctly, someone on here said Apple depends on the airport itself providing them with that information. If that's the case, I wonder why SFO hasn't done it. Even the Oakland airport has it. For me, it's not a big deal. I go through SFO fairly often. As far as I'm concerned, I don't think of it as a confusing airport. For those unfamiliar with it though...indoor maps would be helpful.

As far as other airports I would like to see...I think Anchorage could also be a benefit. Maybe even Fairbanks. RSW in Ft. Myers, Florida would be nice as well. Now granted, those three airports are ones I go through quite often as well, I could find my way through those airports with my eyes closed...and I wouldn't label them as "huge", but it would still be helpful to a lot of people.

When it comes to updates for indoor maps, I wonder how Apple will be handling the O'Hare expansion. (I'm putting the link to the project below if you want to see what's being done). If they truly rely on the airports providing them with the data, then updates should come pretty quick as the project goes on. The map for Woodfield Mall was updated fairly quickly after a sizable renovation on a section of the upper level, so I would imagine the airport would be updated pretty quickly after the project is finished (which is still a ways off at this point...for example, the website has the groundbreaking for Global Terminal in 2023 with it opening in December 2028. There are also satellite terminals that are to be completed before the groundbreaking, because the plans call for no reduction in gates during the construction of the Global Terminal...which means the satellite ones have to be done and open by whenever the groundbreaking is for Global in 2023. Terminal 5 is also having an expansion that is supposed to open in 2021). So it's definitely not a change we'd see on the map anytime soon. But I'm already curious as to how it will be handled!

There’s still no indoor maps for DC’s two airports. If what you’re saying is right about the airport providing the maps, then I guess the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority isn’t providing. They run both airports.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
There’s still no indoor maps for DC’s two airports. If what you’re saying is right about the airport providing the maps, then I guess the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority isn’t providing. They run both airports.
If that really is how Apple gets the data for indoor maps, maybe they aren't getting it because whoever runs these individual airports views it as a security concern for all we know! Then again, basically every airport has a map on their website, so who knows!

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
If that really is how Apple gets the data for indoor maps, maybe they aren't getting it because whoever runs these individual airports views it as a security concern for all we know! Then again, basically every airport has a map on their website, so who knows!

Good thought. But I can go online and get the maps.
Or they just don’t want the expense.
3A683E14-BA21-4B91-9EE2-42613ADA4F26.png

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Good thought. But I can go online and get the maps.
Or they just don’t want the expense.
View attachment 915736
Yep, that's exactly why I mentioned online. Haha it's that alone that would make me go "uh huh, suuuuure" if the reason turned out to be that they were concerned about security.

Heck, maybe it's none of those reasons and it's a case of "we just haven't gotten to it yet"! I have both the American and Alaska airlines apps on my phone. SFO used to have a floor plan map that you could view in American's app. Ended up being removed some time ago. But looking now, it is listed again (not sure how long ago it was re-added. I haven't been in this app for quite a while until now). It's listed as an option to view, but I'm stuck on "loading map".

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Seeing lots of green in Germany. (not "new maps" green, but still more green nonetheless). Has anyone been keeping track of Europe to know how recently that showed up?

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Took a trip for a couple of days up to Pismo Beach and decided to try using AM to get around in this beach communiy.
Pro Max 13.5 PB4

For the most part it worked okay. Biggest miss was doing directions from my hotel to Walmart (needed to restock some stuff). Right direction but it was gicing me the wrong name for the road.
Was supposed to be S. Halcyon Road but AM kept saying “Branch Street”. Gets confusing when AM says to exit on Branch Street, turn right on El Camino Real, turn right on Brisco Road, then left onto Branch Street.

My save? Other half was giving me accurate direction on her Galaxy. LMAO!!!!

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Took a trip for a couple of days up to Pismo Beach and decided to try using AM to get around in this beach communiy.
Pro Max 13.5 PB4

For the most part it worked okay. Biggest miss was doing directions from my hotel to Walmart (needed to restock some stuff). Right direction but it was gicing me the wrong name for the road.
Was supposed to be S. Halcyon Road but AM kept saying “Branch Street”. Gets confusing when AM says to exit on Branch Street, turn right on El Camino Real, turn right on Brisco Road, then left onto Branch Street.

My save? Other half was giving me accurate direction on her Galaxy. LMAO!!!!
I'm looking forward to being able to go to more places again so I can use turn-by-turn for somewhere other than home to work and back ? I don't need the directions, but I use it as a good way to test things out and look for issues, especially now that they have addressed my corrections relating to entrances.

Unrelated...but how's the beta? I didn't jump on the beta train for this one.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
I'm looking forward to being able to go to more places again so I can use turn-by-turn for somewhere other than home to work and back ? I don't need the directions, but I use it as a good way to test things out and look for issues, especially now that they have addressed my corrections relating to entrances.

Unrelated...but how's the beta? I didn't jump on the beta train for this one.

Not bad. Not really any better than 13.4.1 IMO
I jumped on mostly for the mail security fix. Still have a couple of accounts that drop into Apple Mail.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Not bad. Not really any better than 13.4.1 IMO
I jumped on mostly for the mail security fix. Still have a couple of accounts that drop into Apple Mail.
Ahh gotcha. I was actually a little surprised they didn't push out a 13.4.x to fix that. Normally, I would have jumped on for a point release. Just didn't have the time.
I'll definitely be jumping on for the iOS 14 beta once it starts, though! I'm actually getting really excited to find out what's coming with that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.