Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I thought all the islands of Hawaii were updated but just Oahu had Look Around (originally that is...since last year)??
That's what I thought. I was a little confused when I read that part of the post, so I had to go check ? I assumed they were done at the same time the rest of the islands came out. But if they weren't done before...they are now ?

johaen8

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
Near Montgomery, AL
It already does that in a ton of places and has for quite a while (at least 18 months for some spots). You can see the difference typically in the building/landmark when in 3D mode (edit...and I mean in comparison to the other 3D buildings around it).

Can you name any locations that have 3-d terrain like in the Alcatraz screenshot? I looked at San Francisco right next door and it's definitely flat.

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Can you name any locations that have 3-d terrain like in the Alcatraz screenshot? I looked at San Francisco right next door and it's definitely flat.

There are so many...the Stratosphere hotel in Vegas was rendered...the Space Needle in Seattle, there are a bunch of monuments around the world that are rendered as well as their surrounding area.

I think there’s a list out there. I’ll check and update the thread.

EDIT: Place Des Vosage in Paris is another one.

Last edited:

johaen8

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
Near Montgomery, AL
I see what you mean. Those locations definitely have a higher quality rendering than their surroundings. Neat!

Attachments

• 4277DEA5-8875-4F0F-ACE5-57883B52B953.png
    4277DEA5-8875-4F0F-ACE5-57883B52B953.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 206
  • 3D773D3B-52CE-4BCF-AC6F-32ED85B716E8.png
    3D773D3B-52CE-4BCF-AC6F-32ED85B716E8.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 212
  • 9D69694E-4784-40D5-B41E-72C0E9FB3CB6.png
    9D69694E-4784-40D5-B41E-72C0E9FB3CB6.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 179

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I see what you mean. Those locations definitely have a higher quality rendering than their surroundings. Neat!

And you can see that they are usually identified differently as well...you can see the marker on the Stratosphere pic. Let's you know it is a detailed 3D view of that place.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
And you can see that they are usually identified differently as well...you can see the marker on the Stratosphere pic. Let's you know it is a detailed 3D view of that place.
What I'm wondering about though...is that the Golden Gate Bridge also has a marker like that. But no detailed 3D view. I wonder if it might be coming soon. If that's the case...it might be worth getting really into the map and finding locations that have markers like that, but no detailed 3D view yet, because it may mean it's coming.

In San Francisco alone...you have icons like that for Lombard Street, Grace Cathedral, Salesforce Tower, Fisherman's Wharf, the Ferry Building, and Coit Tower, to name a few. Coit Tower has a detailed model, but not to the extent that Alcatraz does. (If it were to, it would detail the fact that Coit Tower is actually on a hill).

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
What I'm wondering about though...is that the Golden Gate Bridge also has a marker like that. But no detailed 3D view. I wonder if it might be coming soon. If that's the case...it might be worth getting really into the map and finding locations that have markers like that, but no detailed 3D view yet, because it may mean it's coming.

In San Francisco alone...you have icons like that for Lombard Street, Grace Cathedral, Salesforce Tower, Fisherman's Wharf, the Ferry Building, and Coit Tower, to name a few. Coit Tower has a detailed model, but not to the extent that Alcatraz does. (If it were to, it would detail the fact that Coit Tower is actually on a hill).

Yeh...the markers are for "points of interest" but not all are rendered as you have pointed out. I never looked at Coit Tower that way and yes, it does surprise me since the topography around it is important as well.

Reactions: iOS Geek

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Just noticed in my app updates that HERE We Go has been updated to work with CarPlay for those that want to try something different out.

I just want to say...if anyone EVER complains about Apple Maps, just try HERE We Go. I think my Garmin GPS from 20 years ago was better than this app.

The graphics are absolutely awful. The voice guidance couldn't be more robotic. For some reason, it just didn't want me to go on the main road out of my neighborhood when leaving or coming home for the one trip I tried it on. It did find the POI for a local chicken place I like to go to every once and a while.

I had it as a back-up when I was traveling to Europe on a regular basis since it does have downloadable maps, but going to delete it now.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Looking through this in greater detail as I try to see what I can migrate for day to day activities from GM to AM ...
In my area (Ventura Ca) there are a lot of walking / biking trails. In Satellite view all of these trails are easily visible and viewable. In Map view these trails disappear or end up being designated as boundaries instead of trails.

IMG-Sat001.jpg IMG-Map001.jpg

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Looking through this in greater detail as I try to see what I can migrate for day to day activities from GM to AM ...
In my area (Ventura Ca) there are a lot of walking / biking trails. In Satellite view all of these trails are easily visible and viewable. In Map view these trails disappear or end up being designated as boundaries instead of trails.

View attachment 899414 View attachment 899415

I’m assuming zoom level has no impact?

When they first released the beta of NorCal, walking paths were one of the first things we noticed on this thread.

And I just checked around my neighborhood and they are missing as well...except for ones in a park I visit with the puppy.

I swear they were there before. Looks like they are only showing up in designated park areas while ones alongside roads are now missing.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
I’m assuming zoom level has no impact?

When they first released the beta of NorCal, walking paths were one of the first things we noticed on this thread.

And I just checked around my neighborhood and they are missing as well...except for ones in a park I visit with the puppy.

I swear they were there before. Looks like they are only showing up in designated park areas while ones alongside roads are now missing.

Zoom has no effect :confused:

They were there originally. It was one of the things I checked. Now some are there, others .... not so much.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Curiosity is in swing! Yesterday, when looking at POI's on the Maps app...they had two separate "hours" sections. One was for "normal" and the other was for something like March 16-March 26. Today...only the "normal" section shows. Wonder what that's about! Could very well be a section for the "seasonal" hours feature they were talking about in the beginning.

EDIT: Worth mentioning though, that in the March 16-March 26 category...the hours listed for each day of the week...were the exact same hours that were listed under the "normal" section. There was no difference at all between the two sections.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Jxdawg

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Just updated my IPP 12.9 G2 to the latest beta for 13.4. Something changed in Apple Maps. Not sure if it is AM or the underlying iOS.
The number of listed businesses near me decreased in AM. AM and GM used to be really close.
DC1DC439-3412-431D-B27C-5CBEA98E0D89.png EA613366-9DD3-48FA-A9D0-098034737432.png

Second is when I pull up the task manager the view of AM no longer is a snapshot of what you were last viewing and it is in the wrong mode. Showing Dark Mode when that is turned off.
FC906704-3250-4D80-B64C-F040A7E6CA6F.png

So far only AM is exhibiting this behavior ....

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Yeah...something is going on...my wife’s phone got the notification last night that Apple Maps had been updated...like when the new Maps area was released for us. Weird.

improvemaps

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2019
Curiosity is in swing! Yesterday, when looking at POI's on the Maps app...they had two separate "hours" sections. One was for "normal" and the other was for something like March 16-March 26. Today...only the "normal" section shows. Wonder what that's about! Could very well be a section for the "seasonal" hours feature they were talking about in the beginning.

EDIT: Worth mentioning though, that in the March 16-March 26 category...the hours listed for each day of the week...were the exact same hours that were listed under the "normal" section. There was no difference at all between the two sections.
I wonder if it's because Apple wants to warn users that the opening hours of a business might have changed due to the unique circumstances caused by the ongoing pandemic. Perhaps Apple will let business owners change the opening hours for now and then let them easily move over to the normal opening hours again when the situation is under more control.

Reactions: iOS Geek

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Did any of you ever see the test for the US territories? Justin O’Bierne’s page showed a top poll response of 13% “yes” on March 25th and 26th. Poll results have been 0% from the 27th to now. That test release seems to have appeared and then disappeared FAST! I unfortunately did not see it on any device.

There’s definitely some other work going on, though! There seem to, yet AGAIN, be some updates to the 3D buildings in the standard map view. In my town, at least, I’ve noticed that even more construction that was completed after the new map release is reflected. There was an issue with some building heights in the area also being inaccurate in relation to other structures. I saw some of those were changed a few months ago. Noticed some more recently. One building for instance is our hospital. Some sections of the hospital have more floors than others, but at original release, the 3D model showed the whole building as the same height. It was updated some weeks back and I noticed this past weekend that the model for this hospital was updated a second time. It is still not quite right, but it’s getting close! I also just noticed something new on the POI card. (Posted below). Checked Reddit to see if there was a post about it, and there was one recently.

Attachments

• FCA3E124-75F7-4E23-8528-9C20186A0F7E.jpeg
    FCA3E124-75F7-4E23-8528-9C20186A0F7E.jpeg
    392.4 KB · Views: 207
Reactions: MozMan68 and Shifts

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Did any of you ever see the test for the US territories? Justin O’Bierne’s page showed a top poll response of 13% “yes” on March 25th and 26th. Poll results have been 0% from the 27th to now. That test release seems to have appeared and then disappeared FAST! I unfortunately did not see it on any device.

There’s definitely some other work going on, though! There seem to, yet AGAIN, be some updates to the 3D buildings in the standard map view. In my town, at least, I’ve noticed that even more construction that was completed after the new map release is reflected. There was an issue with some building heights in the area also being inaccurate in relation to other structures. I saw some of those were changed a few months ago. Noticed some more recently. One building for instance is our hospital. Some sections of the hospital have more floors than others, but at original release, the 3D model showed the whole building as the same height. It was updated some weeks back and I noticed this past weekend that the model for this hospital was updated a second time. It is still not quite right, but it’s getting close! I also just noticed something new on the POI card. (Posted below). Checked Reddit to see if there was a post about it, and there was one recently.

I noticed that a particularly large apartment building was missing from my neck of the woods a few months back, so I took some screenshots and sent them to Apple.

Last week sometime, the 3D representation of the building suddenly appeared on the map.

The building representing my White Castle is still missing, though.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I noticed that a particularly large apartment building was missing from my neck of the woods a few months back, so I took some screenshots and sent them to Apple.

Last week sometime, the 3D representation of the building suddenly appeared on the map.

The building representing my White Castle is still missing, though.
I am curious about the process behind these 3D representations. At one point, I thought the satellite imagery was a part if it because they could determine where buildings are based on that so they know they should have a 3D representation there. But back when this map was released in my area, buildings were missing in recently finished construction areas. Most of those buildings now have a 3D model, but when you switch over to the satellite imagery...it doesn't show those new buildings. Satellite imagery in my area is about 1-2 years old. I may be wrong, but it's starting to seem like satellite imagery has nothing to do with it. I looked at our local college. It has a 3D model that includes the newest building on campus (something that it didn't show upon initial release. It showed up recently). When you look at the satellite imagery...it was taken just as they were tearing up the parking lot to start construction. So in that particular instance...the 3D representation doesn't seem to be connected to data from satellite view, because as of the last time that view was updated...the building doesn't exist There wasn't even a defined footprint for it. There's also an entire subdivision in my town that has 3D representation now, but the satellite view still shows that area as an open field. And about a quarter of that subdivision didn't even exist when Apple drove through here. The entire subdivision is represented, though.

If they ARE, in fact, using satellite data to do this...I wonder if we'll be seeing updated imagery rolling out sometime soon. A lot has changed in my area since the last time it was updated. And actually this entire section of the state has changed quite a bit since then.

Reactions: MozMan68
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.