Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Blaster13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
I never experienced that prior to the updates taking place in the USA...but there were a bunch of "glitches" like incorrect traffic data (there but occurring on the wrong spot of the route), odd routing every once and a while, just weird stuff that would pop up and then go away a week later. You could really tell they were working on stuff.

I was hoping that by doing the USA first they would really figure out all of the bugs or weird data points needed to address before moving to other countries, but with different routing and driving rules, I'm sure some will still pop up as they develop.

Can't wait to see what may be developed in the first beta or two.
I do think they are working on it, il try screen record it tonight whilst I’m at work. And post it.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I never experienced that prior to the updates taking place in the USA...but there were a bunch of "glitches" like incorrect traffic data (there but occurring on the wrong spot of the route), odd routing every once and a while, just weird stuff that would pop up and then go away a week later. You could really tell they were working on stuff.

I was hoping that by doing the USA first they would really figure out all of the bugs or weird data points needed to address before moving to other countries, but with different routing and driving rules, I'm sure some will still pop up as they develop.

Can't wait to see what may be developed in the first beta or two.
Definitely looking forward to the betas. I’ll be running them again this year! Even though rumors don’t seem to paint iOS 14 as ”big” as 13 was, I’m pretty excited for this one!

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
As I've said for several releases now I'd like a minimum vocal direction mode. I don't need to have in 10 miles, in 2 miles, etc. etc. Or an easy way (with Siri) maybe to silence vocal directions.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
As I've said for several releases now I'd like a minimum vocal direction mode. I don't need to have in 10 miles, in 2 miles, etc. etc. Or an easy way (with Siri) maybe to silence vocal directions.
Ha, I turned voice off entirely. For me though, the reason is even though I use them everywhere I go...I don’t actually NEED turn-by-turn directions. I only use it to hunt for issues, so the actual vocal callouts aren’t really necessary for me. I get where you’re coming from.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Not sure if it’s been discussed yet but Canada’s mapping occurred from May - November of 2019 (I added it to the wiki). I saw the car in Toronto on a couple of occasions and saw tweets from others who’ve spotted it. No new maps or Look Around have been implemented here.

Anybody have any info on how long it takes to process this data? Surely there’s a dedicated team on this. At this pace, new maps for the rest of the world will be available sometime in 2075. Maybe we’ll hear more at WWDC.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Not sure if it’s been discussed yet but Canada’s mapping occurred from May - November of 2019 (I added it to the wiki). I saw the car in Toronto on a couple of occasions and saw tweets from others who’ve spotted it. No new maps or Look Around have been implemented here.

Anybody have any info on how long it takes to process this data? Surely there’s a dedicated team on this. At this pace, new maps for the rest of the world will be available sometime in 2075. Maybe we’ll hear more at WWDC.

We only add dates to the first page when new Maps has actually been released. The collection dates are already available on Apple’s Maps collection page.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
To wrap up my own thoughts on the state of Maps as of the effective end of iOS 13: the naysayers said that Apple could never achieve feature or mapping data parity with Google.

They were wrong.

They have done so in the US and will soon do so in much of the rest of the world. Sure, there are things Google does better still, but there are also things Apple now implements better than Google does. Look Around, where rolled out, is better than StreetView. Not a ton better, but better.

Competition is good!

Reactions: ipedro and MozMan68

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
To wrap up my own thoughts on the state of Maps as of the effective end of iOS 13: the naysayers said that Apple could never achieve feature or mapping data parity with Google.

They were wrong.

They have done so in the US and will soon do so in much of the rest of the world. Sure, there are things Google does better still, but there are also things Apple now implements better than Google does. Look Around, where rolled out, is better than StreetView. Not a ton better, but better.

Competition is good!

For me, Look Around is such a huge improvement. Yes, it needs to be released everywhere, but that’s coming.

The big difference IMHO is simply following a route and the level of graphic detail and how it changes based on speed, turns, etc. having a real updated view of buildings and vegetation areas is so good, I’m just used to it now but REALLY notice it when I try Google or Waze.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Maps
Cycling
Maps now routes cyclists along bike lanes, bike paths, and bike-friendly roads. Preview the elevation for your ride, check how busy a street is, and set routes to avoid steep inclines or stairs. Maps also offers custom cycling voice guidance and a rich experience on Apple Watch that makes it easy to navigate with a glance.
Guides
Get recommendations for the best places to visit in a city with Guides created by a selection of trusted brands. Guides help you discover great places to eat, shop, meet friends, or explore in cities around the world. You can save Guides so you can easily get back to them later, and they automatically update when new places are added so you always have the latest recommendations.1
Electric vehicle routing
Easily plan trips with your electric vehicle. Maps automatically adds charging stops along your route and even accounts for charging time when calculating the ETA. Once you add your electric vehicle on your iPhone, Maps can keep track of things like the current charge and charger type to give you the best route for your vehicle.2
Congestion zones
Major cities like London and Paris have congestion zones to help reduce traffic in dense areas. Maps lets you see congestion zone tolls on the map and can route you around them if you like.3
New maps available in more countries
Detailed new maps are coming to more countries later this year, including Canada, Ireland, and the UK. The new maps offer more detailed roads, buildings, parks, marinas, beaches, airports, and more, giving you a more realistic view of the world.
Refine location
Quickly get a highly accurate location and orientation when you’re in urban areas with poor GPS signals.
Speed cameras
Maps lets you know when you’re approaching speed cameras and red-light cameras along your route. You can also see where individual cameras are located on the map.

Wow! Speed and red light cameras, too? Awesome!! And confirmation that Canada, Ireland, and the UK will be the first international countries to receive the new maps later this year.

The "refined location" for urban areas with poor GPS signals also intrigues me.

• Wow
Reactions: HURR.B.

HURR.B.

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
Maps
Cycling
Maps now routes cyclists along bike lanes, bike paths, and bike-friendly roads. Preview the elevation for your ride, check how busy a street is, and set routes to avoid steep inclines or stairs. Maps also offers custom cycling voice guidance and a rich experience on Apple Watch that makes it easy to navigate with a glance.
Guides
Get recommendations for the best places to visit in a city with Guides created by a selection of trusted brands. Guides help you discover great places to eat, shop, meet friends, or explore in cities around the world. You can save Guides so you can easily get back to them later, and they automatically update when new places are added so you always have the latest recommendations.1
Electric vehicle routing
Easily plan trips with your electric vehicle. Maps automatically adds charging stops along your route and even accounts for charging time when calculating the ETA. Once you add your electric vehicle on your iPhone, Maps can keep track of things like the current charge and charger type to give you the best route for your vehicle.2
Congestion zones
Major cities like London and Paris have congestion zones to help reduce traffic in dense areas. Maps lets you see congestion zone tolls on the map and can route you around them if you like.3
New maps available in more countries
Detailed new maps are coming to more countries later this year, including Canada, Ireland, and the UK. The new maps offer more detailed roads, buildings, parks, marinas, beaches, airports, and more, giving you a more realistic view of the world.
Refine location
Quickly get a highly accurate location and orientation when you’re in urban areas with poor GPS signals.
Speed cameras
Maps lets you know when you’re approaching speed cameras and red-light cameras along your route. You can also see where individual cameras are located on the map.

Wow! Speed and red light cameras, too? Awesome!! And confirmation that Canada, Ireland, and the UK will be the first international countries to receive the new maps later this year.

The "refined location" for urban areas with poor GPS signals also intrigues me.
Those new features are pretty cool

HURR.B.

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
I guess we’ll have to move this thread to the iOS 14 board now haha
I remember when we moved it from iOS 12 to 13
Yeah, i guess so, WWDC 2020 just happened, and it announced new features that will be on Apple Maps on iOS/iPadOS 14

HURR.B.

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
Anyone looking forward to the new maps in Canada, Ireland, and the UK?

I am, since it's nice to see how much Apple Maps has improved over the years.

Last edited:

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008

I think I said this in another thread, but we've already got this in China and have had for a couple of years.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Can you provide any example photos or video of how that looks in China? Curious to see how Apple implemented it.

I'll try to screenshot on my way to work tomorrow.

It's mostly a series of warning triangles (for traffic and bus lane cameras) unobtrusively on the map, with audio like "Bus Lane Camera ahead" or "Traffic Camera ahead". Speed cameras are shown as a speed limit circle, and called out but the speed isn't (ie "Speed Camera ahead"). If you're over the 'limit', it adds a warning to "watch your speed" and displays the speed limit as white text inside a fully red circle.

Reactions: G1Ravage

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
I wonder if there's some sort of behind the scenes work taking place again. Apple Maps has been behaving strangely on my phone all day. Normally when I open the app, it always defaults to North up view, in 2D. (I'd prefer it opened in 3D, which is how I exit it, but iOS 13 doesn't cooperate with that.)

But today, when I open the app, for some reason it's pointing due south, but the icon shows me facing north. It's never done this before. If I tap the north up icon, it turns around to face north. But it does this every time I open the app.

Reactions: HURR.B.

HURR.B.

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
I wonder if there's some sort of behind the scenes work taking place again. Apple Maps has been behaving strangely on my phone all day. Normally when I open the app, it always defaults to North up view, in 2D. (I'd prefer it opened in 3D, which is how I exit it, but iOS 13 doesn't cooperate with that.)

But today, when I open the app, for some reason it's pointing due south, but the icon shows me facing north. It's never done this before. If I tap the north up icon, it turns around to face north. But it does this every time I open the app.
Huh, that's weird. I don't have any of these problems.
[automerge]1593134086[/automerge]
Also, it says the creator of this thread is suspended. Does anyone know why?

Reactions: MozMan68
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.