Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
New or old?
dfc806afe9442513731b553bd6212479.png

New....tennis courts showing as well. Nice.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Nice comparison!

...and actually, to be fair, while Google's standard view shows nothing as usual, Apple Maps is actually incorrect as their satellite view is older than Google's. The club apparently added/moved the left courts south of the the East court and put pickle ball courts in as well as a warming hut...smart (especially in a colder climate).

ae23c0693ef45c5f79df7dee1cc5e9e7.jpg

Reactions: lindros2

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
...and actually, to be fair, while Google's standard view shows nothing as usual, Apple Maps is actually incorrect as their satellite view is older than Google's. The club apparently added/moved the left courts south of the the East court and put pickle ball courts in as well as a warming hut...smart (especially in a colder climate).

ae23c0693ef45c5f79df7dee1cc5e9e7.jpg

You'll also baseball, football, and soccer fields, and tennis courts, etc.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
What determines who has limited rollout? Would a phone reboot possibly cause the new maps to show?
I’ve been spelunking and experimenting on macOS and have yet to find anything that jumps out as me as determining whether one sees the new maps or old. What I can say is that I don’t think it’s fully server-side given that it’s not a per-account A/B rollout.

There used to be a configuration profile floating around the internet, for folks involved with Maps development, that purported to force the new map to display. It was supposed to quit working in one of the iOS 12.x releases, and I’m no longer able to find any (public) trace of it. I wish I could have gotten the profile in time to see what switches it flips on-device to force the new maps.

In any case, I had a wave of reports published earlier today that have yet to actually appear; all of them are in the remaining U.S. old map area. I wonder if maybe, just maybe, they pull it off in time. 6 hours and some change left if they want to.

Reactions: iOS Geek

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Well it's 2020... Guess they missed a deadline. :eek:
Yep. Nothing to see. But like I said before...if missing the deadline means that there are less initial inaccuracies like other regions have seen...it'll be totally worth the delay in my mind!

Reactions: MozMan68

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
actual 3D images of buildings look >3 years old. saw an apple camera car in November tho
no additional info displayed like stop signs or traffic lights
difficult to appreciate 3d as the big blue location dot is in the way
street names are in the way, some streets are not labeled tho

dont think i would use the 3D mode much, bet it worked well in the lab

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
If you think about it, Apple technically did launch the maps across the US. It just wasn't the entire US. Here's how.
A = length of US
B = width of US
C = A+B entire US
F6416B70-B753-4F2F-97EB-899359B8BF16.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: dk001 and MozMan68

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Figured 2020 and maybe my map is fixed.
Nope. Still busted in AM.
AM 10102020.jpg GM 01022020.jpg

btw - the building outlines in AM are incorrect. They are missing portions of the main building and additional buildings. Submitted a new correction request and included that detail.

lindros2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011
[automerge]1577991124[/automerge]
What I can say is that I don’t think it’s fully server-side given that it’s not a per-account A/B rollout.
It is now showing new maps on my iPad Pro, but not iPhone nor MacBook Pro...
How odd - both iPhone and MacBook showed the new southeast when I was in Colorado two weeks ago.
... yet not when I'm in Atlanta.

This is so... odd.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
[automerge]1577991124[/automerge]

It is now showing new maps on my iPad Pro, but not iPhone nor MacBook Pro...
How odd - both iPhone and MacBook showed the new southeast when I was in Colorado two weeks ago.
... yet not when I'm in Atlanta.

This is so... odd.

I think us stating how we have no idea how it is distributed to which devices doesn't make it NOT server-side.

That's the one thing we actually know. It IS server-side released. There is no other way to release an update and then pull it from "random" devices.

Apple could be doing it by some random device serial number (total wild ass guess there)...we simply do not know.

What we do know is that pre-release started December 18, which means new maps in the US for EVERYONE by the end of January (most likely).

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
When looking at the Look Around coverage in the San Francisco Bay Area...has it always covered Sausalito (on the north end of the Golden Gate, if you’re unfamiliar with the area)...or is that coverage new? I do remember the Bridge having coverage from the beginning of the Bay Area coverage...but can’t say I remember Sausalito having it too, but may be wrong!

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I live in Miami, FL, and strangely enough my iMac at home, running Mojave, is getting the new maps, but my iOS devices (fully updated), both iPhone and iPad, are getting the old version.

I wonder why Apple is doing it this way rather than just give everyone the new maps at once.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
When looking at the Look Around coverage in the San Francisco Bay Area...has it always covered Sausalito (on the north end of the Golden Gate, if you’re unfamiliar with the area)...or is that coverage new? I do remember the Bridge having coverage from the beginning of the Bay Area coverage...but can’t say I remember Sausalito having it too, but may be wrong!

I believe it did...I remember going across the bridge when it came out to check it out. Maybe it extended a bit though?

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I live in Miami, FL, and strangely enough my iMac at home, running Mojave, is getting the new maps, but my iOS devices (fully updated), both iPhone and iPad, are getting the old version.

I wonder why Apple is doing it this way rather than just give everyone the new maps at once.

It’s still in limited pre-release. Everyone WILL have it within the next 4 weeks most likely.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I finally decided to take screen shots of Look Around areas. With the final US update coming soon, I'm hoping I can tell if there is any expansion of the existing areas or new areas added more easily. Please post if you notice anything so the front page may be updated. Thanks!
[automerge]1578056621[/automerge]
Hoping for big improvements, here in Port Saint Lucie, FL Apple Maps is very out-of-date.

Are you referring to POI's or road data? I've used Maps in FL quite a bit over the past two years and it always got me to where I needed to go (FLL/Miami Area, Daytona to Jacknsonville areas and on a drive from NE FL to Marco Island area.) Directions were spot on and all POI's I had to find came up correctly.

reixer

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2019
I finally decided to take screen shots of Look Around areas. With the final US update coming soon, I'm hoping I can tell if there is any expansion of the existing areas or new areas added more easily. Please post if you notice anything so the front page may be updated. Thanks!

Are you referring to POI's or road data? I've used Maps in FL quite a bit over the past two years and it always got me to where I needed to go (FLL/Miami Area, Daytona to Jacknsonville areas and on a drive from NE FL to Marco Island area.) Directions were spot on and all POI's I had to find came up correctly.

Missing roads. I think Apple stopped updating since 2018 because they are going to release the new map. But they sure have taken their time to release the Southeast map.

rdinterman

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Florida

Directions are OK, will get you there. Many missing interchanges, roads, and circles that have been there for a couple of years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.