Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I’d say there’s a decent chance. Apple doesn’t like to miss deadlines, and rarely does so without explaining that it will do so in advance. I’d say we see it tomorrow morning.

Reactions: iOS Geek

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I’d say there’s a decent chance. Apple doesn’t like to miss deadlines, and rarely does so without explaining that it will do so in advance. I’d say we see it tomorrow morning.
Seems doable to me! Tomorrow would strike me as more likely to avoid releasing on a holiday. And it would still be in plenty of time for a lot of travelers!

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Seems doable to me! Tomorrow would strike me as more likely to avoid releasing on a holiday. And it would still be in plenty of time for a lot of travelers!

I think “traveler aid” is no longer the objective: avoiding looking bad is!

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I think “traveler aid” is no longer the objective: avoiding looking bad is!
True ? Was just a thought I had. Honestly, as time went on and it seemed like it was awfully quiet, I was starting to agree with those who said they'd be ok with them missing the End of 2019 deadline, if it meant improved quality would be the reason for missing it. Think of how many misplaced POI's there have been in newly released areas. If missing the End of 2019 deadline prevents that issue being repeated in the Central, Southeast, and Alaska...then I'd be ok with that!

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
True Was just a thought I had. Honestly, as time went on and it seemed like it was awfully quiet, I was starting to agree with those who said they'd be ok with them missing the End of 2019 deadline, if it meant improved quality would be the reason for missing it. Think of how many misplaced POI's there have been in newly released areas. If missing the End of 2019 deadline prevents that issue being repeated in the Central, Southeast, and Alaska...then I'd be ok with that!

I agree with you. I have generally been satisfied but they need to make sure the quality is there first, going forward, rather than trying to hit arbitrary deadlines.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Will you be here telling us you're in Alaska daily? ;)

I live in a new neighborhood in a smallish city in Wisconsin and a lot of the road names are wrong. I took a walk a couple weeks back and submitted reports for all of the streets along with pictures but haven't seen any changes made as of today. I also haven't seen any changes to the map as a whole but I've kind of resigned to the fact that we're part of the last wave and the chance that Apple won't meet the deadline they set. Not a huge deal for me as I don't really use Maps all that often.
Haha just for the sake of being a smartass...I safely made it to Alaska the other day ? ? By the way, It's cold as crap up here ? But anyway...keep an eye out this week. Apple could surprise us! (Hopefully).

I keep opening the app every once in a while hoping I can finally say "holy crap, it's done"!!!
But nope ?
[automerge]1577658020[/automerge]
I agree with you. I have generally been satisfied but they need to make sure the quality is there first, going forward, rather than trying to hit arbitrary deadlines.
Exactly. For the brief period that I had the test release, I looked at areas I frequently travel to. Out of all those states that remain...it was just Alaska and Florida that I looked at. But when browsing around...I didn't find any POI's that were misplaced. Not to say there aren't misplaced ones at all, but at least in terms of areas that know very well and can confidently look at and go "yep, that's in the right location"...I was very impressed. Didn't see anything misplaced. That could support the idea of why we went so long without seeing anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knowlege Bomb

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I took a look at Google Street View for that highway interchange. The problem here is how Apple seems to be automatically pulling data from their vehicles, and implementing them into directions.

When exiting a highway, Apple Maps will direct you "towards" the exit using information gathered from the last sign visible just before the exit. If the sign is large, and contains lots of route information, Apple Maps will typically deduce what is necessary based on your next move, and ignore the rest.

View attachment 885095

But, if the last highway sign at your exit is "split" into multiple signs for multiple exits within the interchange, I've noticed that Apple Maps will tend to only read the information on the left-most sign (including the exit number), but still mention the road you need out loud. Although it sometimes has a habit of reading off something from the incorrect sign also.

In your case, your exit direction is SHOWING you that you're headed towards State Route 202, but it's TELLING you to take Exit 147B towards State Route 51, because that's what the left-most sign says.

There's a secondary problem. Once you're on the exit ramp, why isn't Apple Maps giving you lane guidance? At that point, wouldn't it specify now to stay right onto Exit 147A towards State Route 202?

NO. And here is why.

View attachment 885096

Notice how the interchange is drawn. Once you leave I-10 onto the exit ramp towards State Route 202, notice how the road is drawn thick yellow, like the rest of the highways? Apple Maps is treating this road as part of Route 202 itself, rather than as an exit ramp. And because of this distinction, the directions ignore the exit ramp split for Exits 147A and 147B, because it believes you're already on the main highway it expects you to be on. I'm experiencing this problem a TON in New York City. I've reported this at least a dozen times at various locations, but none of have fixed yet.

So there are two problems here. The first, is that the automated directions are pulling incomplete information from the exit signs at certain interchanges. The second, is that certain complex interchanges between different highways sometimes have their ramps mistakenly drawn as part of the main highway itself, ESPECIALLY if it's where one highway begins or ends. This can cause directions to be less specific, or downright confusing, because Maps will always assume you're following the "main road", if it's not instructing you to exit off of it.
This is the one I hate in general. If there are places where the road splits, and you need to go the way where the road name changes, it will never address the name change, so unless you have some idea where you are going, you will just stay on the same road name and go the wrong way. Then other times it will say stay left, right on a road but the road never even slightly goes off of straight.

Reactions: dk001

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Nothing so far today. Hope is fading ?

Oh well. Less errors in terms of POI locations (if that's the case) will make up for it!

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Nothing so far today. Hope is fading ?

Oh well. Less errors in terms of POI locations (if that's the case) will make up for it!

There's still a chance as the implementation seems to hit the servers between 12 a.m. and 3 a.m. in the US depending on where you live.

I'm still wondering why MacRumors is sticking to their story about it going wide?

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
There's still a chance as the implementation seems to hit the servers between 12 a.m. and 3 a.m. in the US depending on where you live.

I'm still wondering why MacRumors is sticking to their story about it going wide?
True. And yeah, I’m also surprised that story is still up...

mkennon

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2019
What determines who has limited rollout? Would a phone reboot possibly cause the new maps to show?

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
Yeah, the rest of the U.S. is in limited release, including Georgia, where I'm at.

I’m in Atlanta suburbs and don’t have it except on my MBP.
[automerge]1577816613[/automerge]
What determines who has limited rollout? Would a phone reboot possibly cause the new maps to show?

don’t know and no a reboot hasn’t helped.
[automerge]1577816659[/automerge]
Is there an easy way to tell if you have the updated Maps

for one, you’ll see a lot more green and the updated buildings.

Reactions: mkennon

jpsmith76

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
Huntsville, AL USA
Huntsville, AL here and nothing on multiple devices, with multiple carriers. Reboot, hard reboot, tried everything I can think of to trick it into showing on any of my devices and haven’t found a way yet.

Jt69yupper

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2015
Find a golf course near you. If you see the individual hole layouts, greens, and sand traps, then you have the updated maps for your area.

New or old?
dfc806afe9442513731b553bd6212479.png

Reactions: compwiz1202
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.