Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
We've received more reports that Apple is expecting its employees to be on hand next week as well as extended hours... presumably in preparation for new product releases.

Software (Shake, FCP?) updates seem especially likely... but hardware announcements are still possible.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Macrumors said:
We've received more reports that Apple is expecting its employees to be on hand next week as well as extended hours... presumably in preparation for new product releases.

Software (Shake, FCP?) updates seem especially likely... but hardware announcements are still possible.

Ok, guess the Thaw to Summer has started! :p

lind0834

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2003
Boring Tuesday?

I think the release of the updated eMacs was really food for thought. Shows us all that no matter how much rumor mongering we go through Apple will keep us on our toes. There was one person who said eMacs tomorrow but wasn't 100% on everything.. and again they only knew one day before.

Tomaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
Switzerland
lind0834 said:
I think the release of the updated eMacs was really food for thought. Shows us all that no matter how much rumor mongering we go through Apple will keep us on our toes. There was one person who said eMacs tomorrow but wasn't 100% on everything.. and again they only knew one day before.

So, lets talk about new PM G5s, new iMacs and iBooks, as well and new ipods and iSights, software updates and so on
--> then they will update PBs !!! ;)

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Tomaz said:
So, lets talk about new PM G5s, new iMacs and iBooks, as well and new ipods and iSights, software updates and so on
--> then they will update PBs !!! ;)

PBs WWDC...its a big deal, Steve will want to present it.
PMG5...anytime, but WWDC looks likely given the current premotions.
iMacs...if G5 then WWDC because its a BIG deal
iPods...anytime, but if colour then a song and dance presentation would seem likely.
iSights...not sure, new software to allow multi-conferencing would be very nice, as well as basic videoing options...

Tomaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
Switzerland
aswitcher said:
iPods...anytime, but if colour then a song and dance presentation would seem likely.
iSights...not sure, new software to allow multi-conferencing would be very nice, as well as basic videoing options...

I agree with everything except the PBs at WWDC. I don't think they will release a G5 PB yet, maybe towards the end of the year or early 2005. G4 PBs at WWDC? No way! Maybe Dual-G4 PBs?

(G5 PBs at WWDC would be great, but from what we know, should it be possible to put a G5 into a PB yet?)

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Tomaz said:
I agree with everything except the PBs at WWDC. I don't think they will release a G5 PB yet, maybe towards the end of the year or early 2005. G4 PBs at WWDC? No way! Maybe Dual-G4 PBs?

(G5 PBs at WWDC would be great, but from what we know, should it be possible to put a G5 into a PB yet?)

A dual G4, no I think dual cores are destined for the G5 in 2005/2006.

G5 in PB? Who knows. Lots of RUMORS that heat and wattage are a problem. I dont know. Everything about the G5 chips is fuzzy from all the rumoring going on... But I do want my G5PB and I expect Steve to at least give us a shipping date at WWDC...the G4PB just looks so lame now that the eMac has caught up to it. iMac and PB need serious attention soon.

Kurt

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
Details??

Is this in their retail stores which would indicate new hardware with immediate delivery?

If it is software I don't see how many employees would be needed for extra hours. People are going to be walking into the store to buy tens of thousands of copies of Shake or FCP.

Maybe they are each going to be given a soldering iron and instructions on how to fix mini iPods. :D

Tomaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
Switzerland
aswitcher said:
...I do want my G5PB and I expect Steve to at least give us a shipping date at WWDC...the G4PB just looks so lame now that the eMac has caught up to it. iMac and PB need serious attention soon.

Amen to that!

rwbean

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2004
Macrumors said:
We've received more reports that Apple is expecting its employees to be on hand next week as well as extended hours...

Except for those Elk Grove employees... :(

dt921207.gif

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Kurt said:
Maybe they are each going to be given a soldering iron and instructions on how to fix mini iPods. :D

4 am Tuesday Night…

"No you idiots, + is positive, - is negative, oh wait, let me do it!"

Hope not :p

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
New hardware tuesday.

So What? Rumour sites predict this every tuesday.. eventually one of you will be correct.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Kurt said:
Is this in their retail stores which would indicate new hardware with immediate delivery?

If it is software I don't see how many employees would be needed for extra hours. People are going to be walking into the store to buy tens of thousands of copies of Shake or FCP.

I agree on the point you made about the update. If it's a software update, then what exactly are the called employees doing? The only thing I could think of is demoing the new software at Apple's retail stores, and the extra hours are for training. If, however, the update is to hardware, then the call makes much more sense because customers coming to their Apple retail store will have questions about the hardware introduction/update, which the employees need to be trained to answer. In my mind, calling the employees makes the most sense when both scenarios occur at once - i.e. a combined hardware/software update. Therefore, I'm expecting both hardware and software updates next Tuesday.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
wrldwzrd89 said:
I agree on the point you made about the update. If it's a software update, then what exactly are the called employees doing? The only thing I could think of is demoing the new software at Apple's retail stores, and the extra hours are for training. If, however, the update is to hardware, then the call makes much more sense because customers coming to their Apple retail store will have questions about the hardware introduction/update, which the employees need to be trained to answer. In my mind, calling the employees makes the most sense when both scenarios occur at once - i.e. a combined hardware/software update. Therefore, I'm expecting both hardware and software updates next Tuesday.

I totally agree with you. Programs such as FCP won't create enough attention among the majority of people interested in Macs as they are pro programs. So I can't see stuff working extra hours just for demoing FCP. A PB update seems very likely as does a new iMac release and, bit less likely but still possible, new iBooks. Next Tuedsay could turn to out to be Super Tuesday (if Apple doesn't announce new hardware at NAB) :)

dukemeiser

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Iowa
I'm expecting a completely new product. Why else would the employees need to be trained and on hand? For Shake? I can't imagine much of a mad rush for a new version of Shake.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Super Tuesday April 20th 2004

Super Tuesday April 20th 2004

Like it .... let it rip steve !whole new product line ,Knock my socks off with something amazing

ta

tom

Nny

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
aswitcher said:

I'm going to guess that the new PM G5s and new Apple displays will be announced at WWDC, but probably won't ship until around Expo Paris. iMac G5 should be announced at Paris then and start shipping a month behind the PM. PB will be WWDC, but it will be a G4 and it won't be a dual processor. Possible iBook speed bump too. Don't expect an iPod update until MWSF 2005... rev b mini with more storage. If there is a set top box on the horizon it could be NAB, but might be WWDC too. The fact that new hardware got launched a week before NAB (eMac) leads me to believe that we won't see any new hardware at NAB (else they would have held the eMac to launch then). "But that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

nsb3000

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Boston, MA
What I see in my crystal bal...

aswitcher said:

Here are my predictions:
PMG5: Update to rev B before WWDC
iMac: WWDC
Powerbooks: WWDC
iBooks: Post WWDC

Apple does not normally want more than one really big headliner at an expo. If the rumors we have been reading are correct, than the Powermac G5s have been delayed, but they are still on the docket, which lead me to think they will be released anytime now. Steve my very well force us to a accept a loose interpretation of his 3 gigahertz thing, and the rev c update may not be released until late summer (IE October or something)

Meanwhile, I think G5 iMacs, and G5 Powerbooks will be the big news at the WWDC along with 10.4 and the other normal assortment of stuff.

There you have it folks. Is someboday willing to send me a two litter of coke if I am right?

tangenjm@mcmast

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2004
Well . . .

Notice that the eMacs didn't headline the main Apple page. Rather - the G5 ad remains. It won't likely stay as the headline for much longer. I'm betting on whatever is announced at NAB.

Sped

macrumors regular
May 30, 2003
Certainly Apple is going to introduce some piece of hardware at NAB, right?!? If Shake is all they pop out, waiting till WWDC is going to kill me.

machan

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
wisconsin
my guess goes like this:

april 18th at NAB - Shake 3.5, with an outside chance at Quicktime 7 announcement in prep for WWDC

april 20th - Powerbook update (slightly faster G4s)

april 28th - ITMS update event, iPod capacity bump

after this month, i don't have any guesses beyond Powermac G5 updates at WWDC.

what's all this based on? just the same rumors we all read day in and day out.

Tomaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
Switzerland
From the french site "croquer.free.fr":

The french site "Croquer dans la pomme " just released this:

- 2004-04-14 - Nouveaux portables dimanche
- Encore, je vous annonce la sortie de nouveaux portables.
- Ce sera dimanche - pendant le NAB

--> New portables, next Sunday during NAB (PBs, ibooks ?) :)

No idea about their source, though...

fishlord

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2004
Nny said:
"rev b mini with more storage. "

does flash get bigger than they have in there now? And if so then how much would it cost, I have read that they are already loosing money on the minis (cheaper to buy a mini and take out the flash then to buy the flash itself).

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
aswitcher said:

Sorry, but I cannot follow your thoughts. Apple is a company aiming to make money as much as possible, and Steve understands this perfectly, believe me. Otherwise he wouldn't have built one of the largest computer companys in the world.

If products are ready for release today there is no way that Steve waits with the release because he wants to show them first. Thats bull-****.

Procuct releases must be executed very well in terms of ramp-down and ramp-up scenarios. If possible and the schedule fits Steve presents them. If they are ready for shipment month later then Steve presents them as well. Like G5s or XServers. But there is no way that new products are sitting in the warehouse ready for shipment but hold back several month because of those reasons. No way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.