Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
CmdrLaForge said:
If products are ready for release today there is no way that Steve waits with the release because he wants to show them first. Thats bull-****.

no, that's steve. he has a flair for showmanship to say the least. he wants the stage, he wants the glory.ego-maniac? a little, but i can see steve holding things back a little for just the right moment. he likes making us squirm.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Zaty said:
iPod capacitiy update? I don't think so. The 40 giger is big enough. (That's the same size as my PB's hard disk).Not many people have that many songs and even if they do, Why would you need 15,000 or 20,000 songs on your iPod. The only thing I could see would be a 20/30/40 line up but only if they released 4G iPods.

Wrong. I'm waiting for a 50GB (Pref a 60GB drive.) iPod simply because if I purchased a top of the line 40GB iPod my 34.8GB of music would be hitting the roof before the end of the year and never mind the fact that some of us would use the iPod as a removable storage device.

iAtom

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2003
Massachusetts, US
Nny said:
The fact that new hardware got launched a week before NAB (eMac) leads me to believe that we won't see any new hardware at NAB (else they would have held the eMac to launch then). "But that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Well you must remember that NAB is a pro event, and the eMac is a consumor/education product. So they would not have announced the eMac there.

iAtom

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2003
Massachusetts, US
Zaty said:
iPod capacitiy update? I don't think so. The 40 giger is big enough.

Well maybe they will add a 8-10 GB iPod mini. That would be perfect for my needs, even if it costs as much as or more than the 15 GB iPod.

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
billwest9999 said:
A friend of a friend of a friend of mine works at Apple, and he's pretty high up so he actually gets to meet with Jobs sometimes. He told the friend of my friend which told my friend and in turn told me that the powerbooks will be ready by September.

Now, if only I had a friend of a friend of a friend of an aquaintance of some higher up at Apple or someplace else, for that matter, in Tokyo, in Taiwan, or anywhere else in this world, we could clear this whole thing up, once and for all. :D

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2004
iPods aren't just for music...

SiliconAddict said:
Wrong. I'm waiting for a 50GB (Pref a 60GB drive.) iPod simply because if I purchased a top of the line 40GB iPod my 34.8GB of music would be hitting the roof before the end of the year and never mind the fact that some of us would use the iPod as a removable storage device.

me too. i bought a 40 GB iPod with the "Buy A Bundle" promotion last fall. i was hoping to replace my 20 GB since it was never even enough to hold my whole music collection, much less serve as a FireWire backup drive. once i put all my music on the 40 GB, i realized that it was still too close... i needed something bigger to fit all my music AND a backup of my most important work. so i sold the 40 GB iPod on eBay for a nice profit. i never liked the "row of buttons" interface anyway... the older models have a near-perfect UI.

Toshiba's tiny hard drives are up to 60 and 80 GB now. ( Product Index : http://sdd.toshiba.com/cda/main.asp...00000001/81820000011d000000010000659c000003fd ) some of the drives listed in that URL are the exact drives used in the current iPods. the 60 and 80 GB drives are slightly thicker... but i for one wouldn't mind a small increase in they physical thickness of the iPod in exchange for TWICE the storage capacity. the existence of the iPod Mini can help to offset any criticism that a bigger iPod is a step backward.

an iPod with 80 GB of storage, a color screen, video output, and the option to download photos in the field (as some rumors have suggested - http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=393) would be incredible. with such advances, the iPod would transcend its status as an accessory - evolving from from "pretty cool" to "truly useful."

billwest9999

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2004
Mr Maui said:
Now, if only I had a friend of a friend of a friend of an aquaintance of some higher up at Apple or someplace else, for that matter, in Tokyo, in Taiwan, or anywhere else in this world, we could clear this whole thing up, once and for all. :D

Better yet, just be a major shareholder. They HAVE to tell you then because you are the boss.

Who says money can't solve problems?

Gurugrrrl

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2004
Tomaz said:
Announcement of the G4 PB update on Sunday at NAB, available in the Mac stores at Tuesday the 20th. Sounds good to me !
And then no PB G5 update for a looong time so I don't feel bad about having finally bought the last (and perfectly optimized) revision of the PB G4!

:) In 10 days I could be working on a cool computer and sell my crappy Dell!! :)

Have they ever done an announcement like that on a Sunday...in the middle of the day? That just seems weird. I'm still crossing my fingers with my credit card in my pocket.

DrGruv1

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2002
Chicago - West 'Burbs
Set Top Box with Removable Media Player To Go....

A Tivo but better... AND a Video VPOD to go.. watch it at home or just pick up the VPOD take it with you and just keep watching.. No stoppage No loading.. It's just there.

Rev. b macs now

imacs, who cares? :p

updates to FCP and shook :D er shake 'em :rolleyes:

ibooks with superdrives

and no new powerbook for 10 years...... :D

-mike

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
CmdrLaForge said:
Sorry, but I cannot follow your thoughts. Apple is a company aiming to make money as much as possible, and Steve understands this perfectly, believe me. Otherwise he wouldn't have built one of the largest computer companys in the world.

If products are ready for release today there is no way that Steve waits with the release because he wants to show them first. Thats bull-****.

Procuct releases must be executed very well in terms of ramp-down and ramp-up scenarios. If possible and the schedule fits Steve presents them. If they are ready for shipment month later then Steve presents them as well. Like G5s or XServers. But there is no way that new products are sitting in the warehouse ready for shipment but hold back several month because of those reasons. No way.

Apple this year has had singificant supply issues for xserves and ipod minis. Last year the G5s were the same, big delays. Although I take your point about announcements in the last few years, it really wouldn't surprise me if they do stockpile for a number of weeks whilst working closely with their high profile business buyers like Virginia tech to get early machines to them prior to releasing to the public, so that they have enough in the USA and on boats to Europe and Asia to meet initial demand.

Another argument I guess others will have to help me with is what is Apple's history with releasing new form factor machines without doing it at one of their main shows (January, WWDC, Paris Expo...)? Would they really release a new form factor iMac G5 or display at anything but such an event for maximuim spin?

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
there is going to be one more g4 update to the PB before it goes to the g5 and that isn't worth talking about at WWDC. i would expect 3 Ghz PM's there...

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Steven1621 said:
there is going to be one more g4 update to the PB before it goes to the g5 and that isn't worth talking about at WWDC. i would expect 3 Ghz PM's there...

I keep wondering what they can do to make the PowerBook G4 Rev C attractive.

Cheaper...well maybe here in Australia with the exchange rate.

Faster...what 1.42? Whoopy doo.

Could they bump the bus &/or cache up? Probably not.

An option for a 128 VRAM or better 64 VRAM...maybe...12" to 64...maybe

Better screen...now that would be attractive, better resolution and maybe even faster refresh would be tempting

Better battery life...would be nice

Bundled OEM Office X...again attractive

Can anyone think of anything else?

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
iAtom said:
Well maybe they will add a 8-10 GB iPod mini. That would be perfect for my needs, even if it costs as much as or more than the 15 GB iPod.

I dont think they will update the mini anytime soon. They are having trouble shipping mini's to people that bought them several weeks ago. If they updated them right now most people could cancel their order, and that is not good for Apple. Besides, the current iPod mini is selling very well.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Huezo said:
I dont think they will update the mini anytime soon. They are having trouble shipping mini's to people that bought them several weeks ago. If they updated them right now most people could cancel their order, and that is not good for Apple. Besides, the current iPod mini is selling very well.

A new standard iPod could easily appear. Harddisk sizes are always growing and its been sometime since the last update. Better batteries wouldn't go amiss. Plus other features are being requested. Also how well do you think the standard ipods would sell in a limited release of the 5 ipod mini colours. I think that would be an attractive move (and take some of the pressure off the ipod minis which are in poor supply - not even selling yet overseas (3 months!))

So maybe ipods in mini colours/metal

iAtom

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2003
Massachusetts, US
Huezo said:

Well actually what I meant is that they could make a mini with a bigger capacity in addition to the current one. And then maybe they could drop the price of the current one. This is how I would like to see it:

4 GB - $199
8 GB - $249

iAtom

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2003
Massachusetts, US
aswitcher said:
A new standard iPod could easily appear. Harddisk sizes are always growing and its been sometime since the last update. Better batteries wouldn't go amiss. Plus other features are being requested. Also how well do you think the standard ipods would sell in a limited release of the 5 ipod mini colours. I think that would be an attractive move (and take some of the pressure off the ipod minis which are in poor supply - not even selling yet overseas (3 months!))

So maybe ipods in mini colours/metal

Yeah I would love to see iPods in colors. Another feature I would love to see is bluetooth. That way when I'm near my computer it would automatically syncronize without even plugging it in. I also would prefer the mini type buttons on all of the iPods.

jade

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2003
iAtom said:
Yeah I would love to see iPods in colors. Another feature I would love to see is bluetooth. That way when I'm near my computer it would automatically syncronize without even plugging it in. I also would prefer the mini type buttons on all of the iPods.

Or even better you could use bluetooth speakers. They are almost here...and that would be really cool. Or a bluetooth remote or headset. (bluetooth is far to slow for syncing more than a handful of music files.

powerofthekiwi

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2004
fishlord said:
does flash get bigger than they have in there now? And if so then how much would it cost, I have read that they are already loosing money on the minis (cheaper to buy a mini and take out the flash then to buy the flash itself).

dude, minis don't use flash - they run off an internal hard drive

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Something interesting that I read, anyone aware of this?

On Apr 14, 2004, at 6:39 PM, David Schell wrote:

> From the notes on the conference call I read (macminute and
> Macrumors), xServe shipment was delayed due to 970fx chip shortage.
> Likely that is the reason new PMs are delayed as well (wouldn't want 2
> systems held up because they are fighting for the same limited
> component).
>
> The Est Ship date on dual xServes is now about 5-6 weeks (6-8 for
> Edu). That puts them at the end of May or early June before Apple
> catches up. Seems unlikely we will see new PMs (or G5 PB) before
> WWDC.
>
> David

ClimbingTheLog

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2003
Ensoniq said:
Some say the plan was December...others say it was March.

Yeah, December sounds right. Back at WWDC when Steve was off-stage but with his mic still on he was talking to an investor and told them they'd be at 90nm by November. I posted something here about it last summer.

So, we're we're talking almost 6 months of slippage. Now maybe IBM has another team working on the speed issue in parallel (we must assume) but that's still alot of slippage to make up for by WWDC.

ClimbingTheLog

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2003
iAtom said:
Well you must remember that NAB is a pro event, and the eMac is a consumor/education product. So they would not have announced the eMac there.

That's a good point. Ditto for the iBook. So maybe Sunday Shake, Quicktime 7, Video iPod, PowerMac G5 2.6, and then Monday Powerbooks as others have said and Tuesday iBooks, back to the normal day.

I hope it's true because it means the iBooks would have given something very nice away about the PowerBooks, so they couldn't do iBook when the did eMac. That we're deep in school budget season only serves to reinforce this suspicion - they want the SKU's out ASAP for BTS orders.

ClimbingTheLog

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2003
iAtom said:
And then maybe they could drop the price of the current one. This is how I would like to see it:

4 GB - $199
8 GB - $249

Dude, have you heard about the problems they're having selling them at $249? They could raise the price to $299 and still not have a problem selling them.

Supply and demand, it's a beautiful thing. See also market-based economy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.