Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
dukemeiser said:
I'm expecting a completely new product. Why else would the employees need to be trained and on hand? For Shake? I can't imagine much of a mad rush for a new version of Shake.

Are you thinking of hardware or software?

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
fishlord said:
does flash get bigger than they have in there now? And if so then how much would it cost, I have read that they are already loosing money on the minis (cheaper to buy a mini and take out the flash then to buy the flash itself).
Flash gets WAY bigger than what is in there now.. since there's no flash in it at all. The mini uses a hard drive, not flash. Whoever told you to buy a mini and take out the flash must have done so immediately after sending his scouts on a snipe hunt.
Edit: To clarify, no matter how much Hitachi (and IBM before them) push the notion that the microdrive is flash memory, it isn't. It's a hard drive. It has moving parts. Flash memory is solid state... no moving parts. You can plug a microdrive into a CF slot (I use one in my camera) but it has none of the advantages of solid state... smack it around enough and it will die.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
machan said:
my guess goes like this:

april 18th at NAB - Shake 3.5, with an outside chance at Quicktime 7 announcement in prep for WWDC

april 20th - Powerbook update (slightly faster G4s)

april 28th - ITMS update event, iPod capacity bump

after this month, i don't have any guesses beyond Powermac G5 updates at WWDC.

what's all this based on? just the same rumors we all read day in and day out.

iPod capacitiy update? I don't think so. The 40 giger is big enough. (That's the same size as my PB's hard disk).Not many people have that many songs and even if they do, Why would you need 15,000 or 20,000 songs on your iPod. The only thing I could see would be a 20/30/40 line up but only if they released 4G iPods.

Tomaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
Switzerland
numediaman said:
http://croquer.free.fr/

The French site predicts today that new portables will be announced at NAB on Sunday. I'm still waiting for this site to be right about something -- but there you have it.

They announced the last Osx security update 2 days before it's actual release... (April 3rd 2004).

I couldn't find a false announcement of theirs in the last few months...

ElderBrE

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2004
Tomaz said:
They announced the last Osx security update 2 days before it's actual release... (April 3rd 2004).

You didn't look too far then.

They are the guys who announced RevB G5's, iMacs and AppleInsider Aluminium screens for the anniversary:

croquer.free.fr said:
2004-01-22 - Samedi 24 Janvier: les 20 ans du Mac et les nouveautés

Apple serait sur le point de sortir Samedi les produits suivants:

G5
Les PPC 970fx qu'équiperont les nouveaux G5 chauffant moins, les radiateurs seront plus petit et il y aura un gain de place. Grâce à ça, on trouvera 4 emplacements de disques durs dans cette nouvelle version. Ils tourneront jusqu'à 2.6 GHz.

iMac G5
La forme changera un peu, la base sera carrée. Finition aluminium. Le 17' tournerait à 1.6 GHz et le 20' à 1.8 GHz.

Ecrans
Nouvelle finition aluminium pour les écrans.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
Tomaz said:

It's probably much easier to find out when a securitiy update will be released than to get inside info on hardware releases. :)

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
ElderBrE said:

They are the guys who announced RevB G5's, iMacs and AppleInsider Aluminium screens for the anniversary.

Thanks for saving me from having to post in rebuttal. Having said that, I certainly hope they are right about their specs for the G5 (assuming it gets updates fairly soon.)

Tomaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
Switzerland
ElderBrE said:

They are the guys who announced RevB G5's, iMacs and AppleInsider Aluminium screens for the anniversary:

Croquer dans la pomme wrote: "Apple serait sur le point de sortir Samedi les produits suivants"

If I remember right (haven't used French in a LONG time) this means: Apple could be at the point of releasing new products...

Anyway, they didn't have a significant "hit" yet, maybe that will change this Sunday?? PLEEEAASEE ;)

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
Tomaz said:
Croquer dans la pomme wrote: "Apple serait sur le point de sortir Samedi les produits suivants"

If I remember right (haven't used French in a LONG time) this means: Apple could be at the point of releasing new products...

Anyway, they didn't have a significant "hit" yet, maybe that will change this Sunday?? PLEEEAASEE ;)

I can back you up on your French translation (although I don't use our second national language much :) ). Even if they're right they could only have guessed and this a likely prediction so I wouldn't call it a "hit" as I'm predicting new PBs either on NAB or next Tuesday as well. Apple could use NAB to announce new PBs while iBooks would be released quietly on Tuesday, April 20 (along with new iMacs).

Edit: I guess Apple would only release new iBooks at the same time as the PBs if stocks (especially of the 12" PB) are cleared. Does anyone have any idea what stocks of Apple's laptops look like at the moment?

fishlord

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2004
IndyGopher said:
Flash gets WAY bigger than what is in there now.. since there's no flash in it at all. The mini uses a hard drive, not flash. Whoever told you to buy a mini and take out the flash must have done so immediately after sending his scouts on a snipe hunt.
Edit: To clarify, no matter how much Hitachi (and IBM before them) push the notion that the microdrive is flash memory, it isn't. It's a hard drive. It has moving parts. Flash memory is solid state... no moving parts. You can plug a microdrive into a CF slot (I use one in my camera) but it has none of the advantages of solid state... smack it around enough and it will die.

ah.. thanks for clarifying. So then is the Xthousand writes and then the drive is no good I was told also not true?

dieselg4

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2003
Rockin' Pittsburgh!
I'd put more value in the French prediction except its on a Sunday. Does or has Apple ever had a product release on a Sunday?

I'm guessing updated Powerbooks on the 20th, if anything on that date. A G4 speed bump and modest upgrade doesn't seem like a Jobs-worthy update for WWDC. I would think SJ wouldn't make an annoucement himself about PB's untill they take a magical leap forward in preformance.

One thing is certain - if they bump the PB's on the 20th, there won't be a g5 PB for quite awhile.

(Personally I'm hopeful for iBook bumps on the 20th too. Plastic or not, I'm inclined to keep some cash for other more immoral purposes!)

machan

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
wisconsin
Zaty said:
iPod capacitiy update? I don't think so. The 40 giger is big enough. (That's the same size as my PB's hard disk).Not many people have that many songs and even if they do, Why would you need 15,000 or 20,000 songs on your iPod. The only thing I could see would be a 20/30/40 line up but only if they released 4G iPods.

well, you might be right in one sense, but a lot of people use the ipod for things beyond listening to music. the hard drive capability alone is a strong selling point and a bump to a lineup of 15/30/60 wouldn't really be out of the question i think.

Tomaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
Switzerland
dieselg4 said:
I'd put more value in the French prediction except its on a Sunday. Does or has Apple ever had a product release on a Sunday?
I'm guessing updated Powerbooks on the 20th, if anything on that date.

Announcement of the G4 PB update on Sunday at NAB, available in the Mac stores at Tuesday the 20th. Sounds good to me !
And then no PB G5 update for a looong time so I don't feel bad about having finally bought the last (and perfectly optimized) revision of the PB G4!

:) In 10 days I could be working on a cool computer and sell my crappy Dell!! :)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
machan said:
my guess goes like this:

april 18th at NAB - Shake 3.5, with an outside chance at Quicktime 7 announcement in prep for WWDC

april 20th - Powerbook update (slightly faster G4s)

april 28th - ITMS update event, iPod capacity bump

after this month, i don't have any guesses beyond Powermac G5 updates at WWDC.

what's all this based on? just the same rumors we all read day in and day out.

I wonder if the current Pro key number for 6 will still work on 7?

On April 20th I'm attending an Apple sponsored seminar here in Boston. Maybe there will be a connection to something new.

It just doesn't seem likely that there would be any update to the G5 prior to G5. They have that great promotion running till then.

Ensoniq

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Bronx, NY
Apple's previous update schedule (as well as simple common sense) would dictate that they are overdue for a PowerMac G5 update. They said 3 GHz by June 30th of 2004, so it makes sense that about halfway between 06/2003 and 06/2004 they had PLANNED to release G5 updates but something kept them from doing it.

Some say the plan was December...others say it was March. Either way, they missed the dates. We've seen plenty of issues (from rumor sites of course) indicating issues with cooling problems, non-delivery of chips by IBM, low-yields on higher-speed processors, etc. We'll never know what the problem(s) were/are until a long time from now.

But Apple is NOT stupid, so I think we can all agree that there WAS a PLANNED PowerMac G5 revision that slipped past it's due date due to SOME currently unknown (for certain) problems. So what if Apple now HAS fixed the problems? What should they do?

Knowing they promised 3 GHz at the end of June, which is less than 3 months away, and assuming IBM can still meet the 3 GHz deadline, do they:

1 - Release new PM G5 systems NOW, knowing that they will be updated again in 3 months, causing a ton of customers to complain that the 3 GHz update was way too quick?

2 - Hold back new PM G5 systems NOW, saving the expense of that whole product cycle and go right to 3 GHz, causing a ton of customers to complain that the wait was way too long?

Apple's in a crappy spot - Move forward, and meeting the 3 GHz deadline means two completely different product and inventory cycles in a 3 month period. Very difficult, and possibly very expensive. Hold back, and we hear another 3 months of whining from people about where the PM G5 upgrades are even though we'll be jumping from 2 to 3 GHz, which will certainly have been worth the wait.

Either way...I'm starting to think that a lot of these rumor sites that predicted earlier G5 updates were NOT "wrong"...Apple simply had to change the original plans from what the rumor sites reported. Maybe it's just a technicality, but it doesn't mean we can't trust ANY of this reporting. It simply means that the reporters are only human, and Apple can change it's mind. :)

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
Ensoniq said:
Apple's previous update schedule (as well as simple common sense) would dictate that they are overdue for a PowerMac G5 update. They said 3 GHz by June 30th of 2004, so it makes sense that about halfway between 06/2003 and 06/2004 they had PLANNED to release G5 updates but something kept them from doing it.

Some say the plan was December...others say it was March. Either way, they missed the dates. We've seen plenty of issues (from rumor sites of course) indicating issues with cooling problems, non-delivery of chips by IBM, low-yields on higher-speed processors, etc. We'll never know what the problem(s) were/are until a long time from now.

But Apple is NOT stupid, so I think we can all agree that there WAS a PLANNED PowerMac G5 revision that slipped past it's due date due to SOME currently unknown (for certain) problems. So what if Apple now HAS fixed the problems? What should they do?

Knowing they promised 3 GHz at the end of June, which is less than 3 months away, and assuming IBM can still meet the 3 GHz deadline, do they:

1 - Release new PM G5 systems NOW, knowing that they will be updated again in 3 months, causing a ton of customers to complain that the 3 GHz update was way too quick?

2 - Hold back new PM G5 systems NOW, saving the expense of that whole product cycle and go right to 3 GHz, causing a ton of customers to complain that the wait was way too long?

Apple's in a crappy spot - Move forward, and meeting the 3 GHz deadline means two completely different product and inventory cycles in a 3 month period. Very difficult, and possibly very expensive. Hold back, and we hear another 3 months of whining from people about where the PM G5 upgrades are even though we'll be jumping from 2 to 3 GHz, which will certainly have been worth the wait.

Either way...I'm starting to think that a lot of these rumor sites that predicted earlier G5 updates were NOT "wrong"...Apple simply had to change the original plans from what the rumor sites reported. Maybe it's just a technicality, but it doesn't mean we can't trust ANY of this reporting. It simply means that the reporters are only human, and Apple can change it's mind. :)

I'm pretty sure Apple originally planned an update sometime in the Dec-March timeframe (MWSF would have been an obvious choice). Now it appears that something made them change their plans. In order to make a guess what the next revision will bring, it would be helpful to know what caused the delay. We've heard many possibilities, some seemed more likely than others, but obviously Apple could keep this crucial piece of information secret. A jump from 2 to 3 GHz is still possible but I doubt it. IMO they didn't skip one revision, they just could deliver it any sooner.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
This may sound a little weird but i know a guy in Tokyo who knows a guy in Taiwan where they churn out the PB's, from all accounts, nothing about a G5 PowerBook is there ready to go into production, not yet, this guy would of known if there was one.

This might change however a month from now, but at the moment it is still a G4.

billwest9999

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2004
CrackedButter said:
This may sound a little weird but i know a guy in Tokyo who knows a guy in Taiwan where they churn out the PB's, from all accounts, nothing about a G5 PowerBook is there ready to go into production, not yet, this guy would of known if there was one.

This might change however a month from now, but at the moment it is still a G4.

A friend of a friend of a friend of mine works at Apple, and he's pretty high up so he actually gets to meet with Jobs sometimes. He told the friend of my friend which told my friend and in turn told me that the powerbooks will be ready by September.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
billwest9999 said:
A friend of a friend of a friend of mine works at Apple, and he's pretty high up so he actually gets to meet with Jobs sometimes. He told the friend of my friend which told my friend and in turn told me that the powerbooks will be ready by September.

I told you it would sound weird, i don't expect anybody to believe me, but that is the situation i am in, however, i am hoping for September as well since thats when i'm looking for a laptop from apple.

sedarby

macrumors regular
May 29, 2002
Dallas, TX
Coke-a-gram

nsb3000 said:
Here are my predictions:
PMG5: Update to rev B before WWDC
iMac: WWDC
Powerbooks: WWDC
iBooks: Post WWDC

Apple does not normally want more than one really big headliner at an expo. If the rumors we have been reading are correct, than the Powermac G5s have been delayed, but they are still on the docket, which lead me to think they will be released anytime now. Steve my very well force us to a accept a loose interpretation of his 3 gigahertz thing, and the rev c update may not be released until late summer (IE October or something)

Meanwhile, I think G5 iMacs, and G5 Powerbooks will be the big news at the WWDC along with 10.4 and the other normal assortment of stuff.

There you have it folks. Is someboday willing to send me a two litter of coke if I am right?

I really don't think sending 2 liter bottles of coke through the mail is a good idea. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.