Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Does anyone know if you can still upgrade the internal SSD on a 2019 Mac Pro? Looks like Apple no longer sells the upgrade kits. https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MXNN2AM/A/1tb-ssd-kit-for-mac-pro

They only sell the newer kits, which according to Apple, are only compatible with the new 2023 M2 Mac Pro. https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MR3A3AM/A/apple-4tb-ssd-upgrade-kit-for-mac-pro

What do you all recommend?

(Or is there any way to just bypass the T2 chip and use a regular M.2 in the original sockets?)

I'd prefer to avoid the various PCIe adapters. I need my PCIe slots for other things.

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
Does anyone know if you can still upgrade the internal SSD on a 2019 Mac Pro? Looks like Apple no longer sells the upgrade kits. https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MXNN2AM/A/1tb-ssd-kit-for-mac-pro

They only sell the newer kits, which according to Apple, are only compatible with the new 2023 M2 Mac Pro. https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MR3A3AM/A/apple-4tb-ssd-upgrade-kit-for-mac-pro

(Or is there any way to just bypass the T2 chip and use a regular M.2 in the original sockets?)

I'd prefer to avoid the various PCIe adapters. I need my PCIe slots for other things.

You can upgrade it yourself, but you need to have access to another mac or an iPhone in order to use DFU mode (because of the T2 chip).

You can still find SSDs on eBay, and I think OWC might still sell them as well (though extremely overpriced still to this day).

Bookmark THIS PAGE <--- this will answer a lot of your questions.

More info on DFU Mode

Apple's official SSD Upgrade Guide for the 7,1

Look in the main Mac Pro forum. There are a few posts from users who I believe have installed M.2 SSD blades successfully in their 7,1 (I may be wrong if they're having success or not, I'm not interested so haven't really read through, but I do know those threads exist).

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
You can upgrade it yourself, but you need to have access to another mac or an iPhone in order to use DFU mode (because of the T2 chip).

You can still find SSDs on eBay, and I think OWC might still sell them as well (though extremely overpriced still to this day).

Bookmark THIS PAGE <--- this will answer a lot of your questions.

More info on DFU Mode

Apple's official SSD Upgrade Guide for the 7,1

Look in the main Mac Pro forum. There are a few posts from users who I believe have installed M.2 SSD blades successfully in their 7,1 (I may be wrong if they're having success or not, I'm not interested so haven't really read through, but I do know those threads exist).

Wow, if regular M.2 SSD blades would work, that might mean it's possible to have 16TB storage? That could be really useful!

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
HERE is the thread on M.2 Blades in a 7,1. Look at how many pages...

Maybe I misunderstand but that thread talks about using 3rd party cards to use m.2 blades.

I think OP wants to upgrade the Apple built in blades, which I think only work apple’s proprietary sticks of memory.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia

In the Australia store, the 2 & 4TB kits are still available, it's weird they're selling out, because they'll be required to carry stock for spares for ~7 years in some jurisdictions. I have to imagine there's going to be either a new manufacturing run, or a firmware upgrade / adapter to allow generic and or 2023 SSDs to work.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
iMac Pro/2019 Mac Pro factory SSDs are not SSDs in the common sense, it's a just a NAND module/pair of NAND modules without any controller.

The controller is inside the T2, you attach NAND modules to it.

Reactions: H2SO4

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
2019 ssd nand module pairs are still available from apple. If you really want to upgrade the 'internal' ssd and money is no object, then you can order the ssds from apple and reset the storage with the apple DFU utility, using another mac. ALSO, you can install a single nvme blade adapter, with a big ssd, and boot from that. You have to turn on external boot options and go from there.

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
2019 ssd nand module pairs are still available from apple. If you really want to upgrade the 'internal' ssd and money is no object, then you can order the ssds from apple and reset the storage with the apple DFU utility, using another mac. ALSO, you can install a single nvme blade adapter, with a big ssd, and boot from that. You have to turn on external boot options and go from there.

Heads up that this link is to apple AUSTRALIA. So it looks like they are in stock everywhere outside the US. It also doesn't look like those stores ship to the US?

Last edited:
Reactions: aaronhead14

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
You can also purchase the SSD-kits from Apple in Sweden and Norway. But for some reason the price is 20% higher in Norway, compared to Sweden ⁉️ (Money to be saved for any readers in Norway)
I bought the 4 TB SSD kit some weeks before the new Mac Pro was launched (May 30th). As I was worried that Apple might stop selling these kits. Still at the same price as when I bought my kit.

4TB-kit

Reactions: prefuse07

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
You can also purchase the SSD-kits from Apple in Sweden and Norway. But for some reason the price is 20% higher in Norway, compared to Sweden ⁉️ (Money to be saved for any readers in Norway)
I bought the 4 TB SSD kit some weeks before the new Mac Pro was launched (May 30th). As I was worried that Apple might stop selling these kits. Still at the same price as when I bought my kit.

4TB-kit
Oh, so there are some global apple stores that will ship to the States? nice!

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
Oh, so there are some global apple stores that will ship to the States? nice!
I doubt very much that any Apple store will ship to another region. Sorry if I chose the wrong wording, unless you say that in jest, which is great. Some times one got to laugh, right? ;)

On a side note. I have seen the iPower Resale e-bay shop sell kits for the Mac Pro.

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
I doubt very much that any Apple store will ship to another region. Sorry if I chose the wrong wording, unless you say that in jest, which is great. Some times one got to laugh, right? ;)

On a side note. I have seen the iPower Resale e-bay shop sell kits for the Mac Pro.
No, not jabbing. I am honestly curious if any global apple stores ship to the US.

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
I just tried to find some info on the Apple store website.
It says support for repairs are limited within the EU (EES), including Switzerland. And that the product guarantee of 1 year (default), is also limited to the region only. No information on export.

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
Thanks. But having to go through the hassle of using a freight forwarder + potentially having to pay customs is a big NO in my book, and for this I would rather pay the inflated prices on eBay to still get something from a US seller, but thanks again!

So, now when someone is asking about US apple store stock and people keep posting global apple store links -- we can know to ignore. This is NOT a jab at you, Regulus, but just speaking in general.

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
I come to the same conclusion. Even if we just wanted to say there still exist some kits out there, internationally.
But probably only kits that already was in stock. And Apple does not produce those kits for the 7.1 anymore?

Here in Sweden and Norway, the 8TB-kit is gone. Only 1, 2 and 4TB kits left.
So probably not a bad idea to get an upgrade kit for those who need it.
I see the graphic cards also have fewer cards than last summer.

This does not look great in my opinion. If Apple stopped restocking upgrade parts already.
We can probably forget that Apple will have new AMD 7000-series cards

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Jun 28, 2023
̶N̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶l̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶d̶e̶,̶ ̶ill ̶a̶s̶k̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶S̶O̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶s̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶s̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶p̶a̶c̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶l̶a̶p̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶s̶ ̶c̶o̶w̶o̶r̶k̶e̶r̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶A̶u̶s̶t̶r̶a̶l̶i̶a̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶h̶i̶p̶ ̶u̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶k̶i̶t̶

̶L̶e̶a̶r̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶t̶o̶d̶a̶y̶

$1,600USD for 4tb? Lol noooope

I can get 4tb SSDs all day long for my PC laptop for like $350

This is why I would love a MacBook based on the forum factor, but I’ll never buy one

Last edited:
Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008

Are you sure?

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Are you sure?
European Apple Store links are completely useless to Americans, FYI.

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
European Apple Store links are completely useless to Americans, FYI.
the ssds are available in the USA. When you check the left column for compatibility you have to open a tab and scroll DOWN to Mac Pro 2019, its not next to the 2023 entry

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.