Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

juan985_Spain

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2019
I am experiencing slower speeds as well. Mine was at around 1400MB/s for both read and write speeds.

I’ve noticed a larger drop in the battery as well. Went from 100 to 60 in around 8 hours or so.
One idea:

once you have the NVMe external enclosure, try to boot your mac with it. I run several Parallels VMs on an external Samsung T5 (USB 3.0) and I do not feel any performance issues with the fact the VM is running on an external USB 3.0 disk.
Maybe, your mac will perform (in terms of read/write speeds) as if you were using a stock Apple disk. I know there is the drawback of having a dongle around all the time, but I would give it a try to see how it goes.

I will do that and post the results here. I have both Catalina and Windows 10 installed in the Sabrent SSD. My plan is to try to boot from the external SSD and to keep only the windows partition in the long run. The rest of the space available after erasing MacOS in the NVME Sabrent will be great and fast storage

Do you think it is possible?

Kraizelburg

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Spain
I’ve noticed a larger drop in the battery as well. Went from 100 to 60 in around 8 hours or so.
At this point is clear that no third party NVME drive will properly hadle power drain in Mac OS. Apple NVME drivers are 100% closed and ASPM is disabled for non propietary drives.

Now i'm looking for used apple drives on ebay :(

macpro_mid2014

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2019
Toronto, Canada
I will do that and post the results here. I have both Catalina and Windows 10 installed in the Sabrent SSD. My plan is to try to boot from the external SSD and to keep only the windows partition in the long run. The rest of the space available after erasing MacOS in the NVME Sabrent will be great and fast storage

Do you think it is possible?

It is possible! I also have Windows 10 in the external disk plus Ubuntu 18.04 which I use with a VPN and MacOS 10.11.6 (El Capitan) to 10.15.1 (Latest Catalina).

User93

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2019
Hi.
I have 970evo installed in my Mac. I'm wondering: have you perform update from macbook or from PC?
Samsung provides an ISO file that allows you to create a bootable USB drive that handles the firmware update, you can create it using either platform.

markintosh13

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2018
thanks
is there a big difference between stock 670 mb\s read speed and 1300 mb\s ?

For me the need was to increase storage, first from 512GB to 1TB and then again to 2TB.

The increase in speed is nice to have, but I can't really say that it's night and day noticeable.

Reactions: ykokosh

antexxx

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2010
At this point is clear that no third party NVME drive will properly hadle power drain in Mac OS. Apple NVME drivers are 100% closed and ASPM is disabled for non propietary drives.

Now i'm looking for used apple drives on ebay :(
actually it's not so clear , because in my experience, i had no problems with Intel 760P NVMe drive
with closed lid my power drop is 0% in 6-7 hours
if you still looking for original Apple drive i have 1TB for sale on ebay
you can PM me for details about it
[automerge]1573032923[/automerge]
here's my power settings
Currently in use:
standbydelaylow 86400
standby 1
womp 1
halfdim 1
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
powernap 0
gpuswitch 2
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 0
standbydelayhigh 172800
sleep 0
autopoweroffdelay 172800
hibernatemode 0
autopoweroff 0
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 0
highstandbythreshold 35
acwake 0
lidwake 1

Kraizelburg

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Spain
actually it's not so clear , because in my experience, i had no problems with Intel 760P NVMe drive
with closed lid my power drop is 0% in 6-7 hours
if you still looking for original Apple drive i have 1TB for sale on ebay
you can PM me for details about it
According to your own post power consumption with intel 760p is higher than stock apple, actually when I tested the corsair MP510 had idle consumption of 0.16 vs 0.2 intel.

Did you changed hibernate mode to 25? I kept it to default mode because I like waking up fast from sleep.

Last edited:

savink

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2019
Successfully installed new PCIe NVME drive on my MacBook Air mid 2013; before I begin, a very big thank you to @maxthackray and other contributors on this thread & forum.

My Setup:
MacBook Air mid 2013, 13" MBA 6,2
Boot ROM version: 117.0.0 <--had installed macOS Mojave once on original disk, before reverting back to High Sierra
SMC Version: 2.13f15

Issue:
Original Apple internal disk just failed with prohibited symbol on screen, upon reboot flashing folder with Question mark icon on screen.

Workaround:
While I was waiting for the parts to arrive, I used an USB disk (fast 100 Mbps read) to install OS X El Capitan and have my MBA functional, i wasn't able to install the later macOS systems on USB without internal disk present.

After reading a lot over here, I ordered Crucial P1 (500 GB) QLC drive and sintech short adaptor. The Crucial P1 was the cheapest available that had the right power usage, performance and storage space for my requirements. My usage is limited to Web, Entertainment & statistical analysis using Numbers app.I don't move large (>50GB) files and hence the P1 was perfect. However, the Crucial P1 is not recommended for pro users or content editors but then the MacBook Air is not meant for this type of use anyways.

Parts Used:
1. Storage Adaptor from Sintech eshop
2. Crucial P1 - 500 GB drive
3. ScrewDriver Set from iFixit.

The actual installation of the hardware & the OS took about 30 mins of time, but many hours were consumed for reading & researching.

Good :):
1. The Crucial P1 NVME drive was detected right away using a macOS High Sierra installer USB disk, and formatted (initialised) with APFS & GUID partition map.

Issues o_O:
1. During install I got this error. The same error popped with a different disk and also with macOS Mojave install disk.
mojave.png

Resolution:
a. from the web "the issue was due to expired signatures and resolution was to set the date". with current date/time I had issues, so I checked the certificate/signature validity on one of the installer DMG files available on the USB disk and then set my system date back 1 year and reverified certificate/signature validity to make sure there isn't any expired error.

To check signature, Open terminal from the installation utilities:

pkgutil --check-signature /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg

Command Output:
Code:
Package "InstallESD.dmg":
   Certificate Chain:
    1. Software Update
       SHA1 fingerprint: 1E 34 E3 91 C6 44 37 DD 24 BE 57 B1 66 7B 2F DA 09 76 E1 FD

2. After successful installation, I thought of updating to latest available updates for macOS High Sierra, However, during installation while the Apple Logo and progress bar was happening, the flashing folder with question mark icon appeared, the disk got lost somehow, however a reboot fixed the issue. after reboot, the updates continued to install and finished successfully.

Others:
1. I have not tested the Sleep/Hibernation yet. will update later
2. My battery is already quite old hence can't comment on power consumption. I haven't noticed any difference while working on battery with the new drive, so I assume its all ok.
3. Havent noticed any abnormal thermal's.

Some Pictures:
Installed Drive.JPG

Installed nvme.png

Disk Speed Test: its excellent

diskspeed.png

Attachments

• 1573031509759.png
    1573031509759.png
    144.3 KB · Views: 86

Juttersbitter

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
Thanks a lot for the comprehensive information! 1 hour less is not so bad, I'm curious if it will improve with your planned testing with standby 0 hibernatemode 25 and nvmram and smc reset. I have my Macbook 13" 2015 set to standby 1 hibernatemode 25 and standbydelay 300 (with Apple SSD). That 3 extra seconds on wake up with hibernatemode 25 is not so bad.

How is the temperature of the Kingston A2000 under high, mid and low usage? I read that the Samsung EVO's and others get very warm.

I'm using 13" 2015 mac

I measured my common daily usage scenario with chrome/movie playback.
First impressions are disappointing - battery lasts 1 hour less. The last result with apple SSD is actually 20% of battery while asleep, but it's not recorded by the app because it turned off before even waking up
View attachment 874967

View attachment 874976

SSD drains around 160-170mA when idle, that's only 0.5W
Maximum write power consumption - 3.1W, read - 2.8W, but only under heavy load, most of the time it is below 0.4A

About performance:
Write speeds amorphousDiskMark shows ~1gb/s write speeds for 35gb (the maximum possible size) file. Writing 100-gigabyte file with 'dd' reports write speeds ~600mb/s test which is strange, according to reviews on the internet drive has fast (up to 2200mbs/s) SLC cache ~70gb and after that speed drops to 500-600 mb/s, so I was expecting better results. Reads speed is 1.4gb/s (maximum possible for pci 2.0 x4)

I'll do more testing with standby 0 hibernatemode 25 and nvmram and smc reset

htcmda

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2018
All of this talk about 1 hour less battery life and how people scoff at that, makes me smirk. My battery has well over 800 cycles, it lasts about 4 hours and I currently have the original apple 512gb ssd. I plan to get a brand new battery soon as well as buy a 1tb+ nvme on black friday. So anything better than 4 hours will be a huge upgrade for me.

EDIT: Forgot to add that my Macbook goes from 100% to 0% if unplugged and left over night. So I'm definitely in need of a new battery ?

AlGardner

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2018
Russia
Samsung provides an ISO file that allows you to create a bootable USB drive that handles the firmware update, you can create it using either platform.
I've seen it, but since my macBook detects the USB stick as "WIndows" it doesn't boot from it. Just grey screen, no signs of any activity. I've been waiting for 5 or more minutes. Tried Unetbootin (or some like this) and with console diskutil - same result(

Actually, maybe anybody measureed profit from this firmware update for Samsung EVO 970? Can't find any data...
I'm testing without this update, and with hybernation settings from the first message in this topic, Laptop lost 4% in 12 hours inactivity with closed lid.

Kraizelburg

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Spain
I've seen it, but since my macBook detects the USB stick as "WIndows" it doesn't boot from it. Just grey screen, no signs of any activity. I've been waiting for 5 or more minutes. Tried Unetbootin (or some like this) and with console diskutil - same result(

Actually, maybe anybody measureed profit from this firmware update for Samsung EVO 970? Can't find any data...
I'm testing without this update, and with hybernation settings from the first message in this topic, Laptop lost 4% in 12 hours inactivity with closed lid.
My battery went down from 9-10 hours to 4.5 h approximately with normal use, office docs, YouTube, web browsing and some coding.

Reactions: AlGardner

xabibal

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2019
Hello again . I am Spanish and I am estranged with google translator because I do not know English well. I want to buy an ssd m2 disk to install on my macbook pro retina 15 "in late 2013.
I have tested with Samsung 970 evo plus 500 Gb with sintech adapter and it does not work.
I've also tried Sabrent Rocket 1T with sintech adapter, but it doesn't work either.
What is the best option for my mac? I want it to be as close as possible to the original but to be cheap.
I hope help. Thank you

Kraizelburg

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Spain
Thank you for the reply

Is it with the last Samsung firmware?
No sorry it was with the corsair MP510 480GB which is just 1 position below Sabrent rocked in the consumption chart from this thread.
[automerge]1573067020[/automerge]
Hello again . I am Spanish and I am estranged with google translator because I do not know English well. I want to buy an ssd m2 disk to install on my macbook pro retina 15 "in late 2013.
I have tested with Samsung 970 evo plus 500 Gb with sintech adapter and it does not work.
I've also tried Sabrent Rocket 1T with sintech adapter, but it doesn't work either.
What is the best option for my mac? I want it to be as close as possible to the original but to be cheap.
I hope help. Thank you
They should work just fine, have you updated to the latest OS before swapping drives? you need to do this in order to update the bootloader then create a bootable USB drives with Catalina or Mojave and you should be fine. Remember you need to format your drive first with disk utility.

xabibal

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2019
No sorry it was with the corsair MP510 480GB which is just 1 position below Sabrent rocked in the consumption chart from this thread.
[automerge]1573067020[/automerge]

They should work just fine, have you updated to the latest OS before swapping drives? you need to do this in order to update the bootloader then create a bootable USB drives with Catalina or Mojave and you should be fine. Remember you need to format your drive first with disk utility.

No recuerdo si tenía sierra alta o mojave. No puedo volver a poner el disco original porque dejó de funcionar.

Try a bootable usb with linux and do not detect any of the disks

bopcat

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2019
Hi everyone,
First, thanks so much for this thread. I've been following it for about a year and it's been super helpful with troubleshooting issues with my SSD.

I have a 13'' mid-2014 rMBP, currently on Mojave 10.14.6, with a JetDrive 850 on BootROM 149.0.0.0.0. Everything is working well (other than hibernation, obviously).

I'm interested in upgrading to Catalina - are there any risks associated with upgrading, given that I'm on BootROM 149.0.0.0.0? Or am I good to go?

I took a look at the last ~30 pages but couldn't find an answer to a similar scenario.

Thanks in advance!

savink

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2019
does anyone have update/experience if macOS Catalina fixes sleep/hibernation issues for older macs using third party PCIe NVME drives?

dimickh

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2019
Thanks a lot for the comprehensive information! 1 hour less is not so bad, I'm curious if it will improve with your planned testing with standby 0 hibernatemode 25 and nvmram and smc reset. I have my Macbook 13" 2015 set to standby 1 hibernatemode 25 and standbydelay 300 (with Apple SSD). That 3 extra seconds on wake up with hibernatemode 25 is not so bad.

How is the temperature of the Kingston A2000 under high, mid and low usage? I read that the Samsung EVO's and others get very warm.

With Hibernatemode 25 there almost no drain while lid is closed.

About temps: A2000 is a single sided drive(all memory chips is mounted on one side of the circuit board), these drives are better in terms of cooling. Personally I haven't seen the drive getting hotter than 50°C.

Reactions: Juttersbitter

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Hi everyone,
First, thanks so much for this thread. I've been following it for about a year and it's been super helpful with troubleshooting issues with my SSD.

I have a 13'' mid-2014 rMBP, currently on Mojave 10.14.6, with a JetDrive 850 on BootROM 149.0.0.0.0. Everything is working well (other than hibernation, obviously).

I'm interested in upgrading to Catalina - are there any risks associated with upgrading, given that I'm on BootROM 149.0.0.0.0? Or am I good to go?

I took a look at the last ~30 pages but couldn't find an answer to a similar scenario.

Get a time machine backup first but you should be fine.

My bootrom version did not change with catalina.

dimickh

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2019
With Hibernatemode 25 there almost no drain while lid is closed.

About temps: A2000 is a single sided drive(all memory chips is mounted on one side of the circuit board), these drives are better in terms of cooling. Personally I haven't seen the drive getting hotter than 50°C.
Also regarding power consumption: with original ssd idle power draw can fall to as low as 3.4W (mostly display consumption) compared to 6.7W with A2000. This converts to respectively 22 and 11 hrs maximum runtime from battery at very lightweight tasks( for a new 75WH battery). I suppose CPU can't go into a deep sleep mode while any of the I/O devices are active.

Juttersbitter

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
Also regarding power consumption: with original ssd idle power draw can fall to as low as 3.4W (mostly display consumption) compared to 6.7W with A2000. This converts to respectively 22 and 11 hrs maximum runtime from battery at very lightweight tasks( for a new 75WH battery). I suppose CPU can't go into a deep sleep mode while any of the I/O devices are active.

Are you happy with the 1TB Kingston A2000 upgrade overall if you take the cons into consideration?

Walee

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2018
No recuerdo si tenía sierra alta o mojave. No puedo volver a poner el disco original porque dejó de funcionar.

Try a bootable usb with linux and do not detect any of the disks

Did you create new partition via disk utility? Without this OS installer won't see the disk.
If nothing helps then I'd suggest you to either seek professional help or find a used original apple ssd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.