Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Walee

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2018
and also, do you guys know what size the SSD screw is?

By the looks of it it's an M2, length of the original one is 2mm, but 3mm fits just fine. Some adapters from eBay come with a spare screw, however the one I got is way too long - 4mm and as a result it doesn't sit right with a short adapter. As always be careful when experimenting with screws and don't screw them into the board effectively drilling a hole...

My question is: If I choose the Intel 660p, will I still be able to achieve 1,800Mbps (realistically less), or will I get even slower r/w speeds than with the Sabrent? Sorry if this doesn't make sense.

Realistically you will get 1400-1700Mbps no matter how fast drive you get. Better look as other speedtest results instead of plain sequential r/w (iops, random read/write etc). To be honest I'm unfamiliar with Adobe Creative Suite and Final Cut Pro so I don't know what kind of workload these programs create.

What else can I do?

Find someone who can lend you their original apple ssd for upgrade purposes. You can always try to install macos on an external drive to see what happens, but it's unlikely this will do the job.
No harm in tying though ;)

After installing the sintech adapter and the ssd, I closed the body again - and recognized that afterwards the macbook "wobbles" a bit on the table. Following I suppose that ssd & adapter do not fit perfectly.

There are two latches around the battery that need to be clipped in place. Maybe you missed them? There are no latches on Air's.
if possible make photos - it's hard to guess without being a fortuneteller :)

Is there a consensus on the best and or cheapest product to use the old oem drive externally?
As far as I know the answer is "no". There is no selection to choose from anyway - these beasts are rare, not cheap and in my opinion are hardly worth buying.
But if you really need/want one - check out OWC or Sintech. Also Transcend has a Jetdrive lineup, but I'm not sure they sell enclosures without ssd's - these appear on used market from time to time.

Last edited:

quaresma

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2013
Installed the Adata SX8200 pro 512GB in my Early Macbook Pro 2015 13 inch. Was easy. Sintech did not send a screw, so I just used the one that was there on the motherboard.
Anyway, not noticing speed increase in file transfers or loading apps. Not a big deal. My goal was to increase storage space.

But it got me thinking: How much does Filevault slow things down? Mounting dmg files is still as slow as before, and copying to apps to applications folder is not much faster.

Reactions: tzevoon

Chilorio

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2019
Hi.

Please Help Me.

I have a MBP early 2015. The SSD crashed and could not fix it (had Yosemite). To replaced I purchased a 970 EVO with a Syntech large adapter. Because the original SSD doesn't work I couldn't upgrade the OS. I made a usb with Catalina and Mojave, if I format the SSD to APFS I does not let me install the OS because of a firmware error, if I format the drive to MacOS Journaled the installation starts but before it finishes the MBP restarts and I'm not able to finish. It happens with both OS.

What else can I do?

Thank you in advance.

Any ideas?

Carioquinha

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2019
Hi at all,
while waiting for the short sintech adapter - which hopefully will be solving the "bulge-issue" - I was thinking about the ssd itself. I was wondering, if the adata 8200pro is also a good choice with regard to temperature and follwing fan activities.

So far and with my typical usage of my 13" Macbook pro retine (early 2015), I cannot recognize any fan activities at all. In addition, changing the ssd follows the need for more capacity (Apple SSD came with 256 GB) - not necessarly more speed - but - as far as possible - not significant more power consumption - and not significant more waste heat.

Can I suppose that those ssd models with small power consumption also produce less waste heat?
Following the Corsair (does anybody have this ssd in use?) and the sabrent are one of the ssds with small waste heat? Is there any other analysis/ recomandation than the ones on the first page?

Thanks in advance,
Carioquinha

quaresma

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2013
Installed the Adata SX8200 pro 512GB in my Early Macbook Pro 2015 13 inch. Was easy. Sintech did not send a screw, so I just used the one that was there on the motherboard.
Anyway, not noticing speed increase in file transfers or loading apps. Not a big deal. My goal was to increase storage space.

But it got me thinking: How much does Filevault slow things down? Mounting dmg files is still as slow as before, and copying to apps to applications folder is not much faster.

Well, the answer to my question is here:
https://macmyths.com/do-i-really-need-filevault/

Filevault DOES affect performance. I knew that, but I didn’t know read speeds could be up to 48% slower! and write speeds up to 22% slower.

do you guys enable FileVault with the nvme ssds?

Kraizelburg

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Spain
Well, the answer to my question is here:
https://macmyths.com/do-i-really-need-filevault/

Filevault DOES affect performance. I knew that, but I didn’t know read speeds could be up to 48% slower! and write speeds up to 22% slower.

do you guys enable FileVault with the nvme ssds?
I never have enabled fire vault or any other kind of encryption in my personal computers as they are always with me, on the other hand if it is a business computer you may want to enable fire vault for security purposes.

Chilorio

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2019
Hi.

Please Help Me.

I have a MBP early 2015. The SSD crashed and could not fix it (had Yosemite). To replaced I purchased a 970 EVO with a Syntech large adapter. Because the original SSD doesn't work I couldn't upgrade the OS. I made a usb with Catalina and Mojave, if I format the SSD to APFS I does not let me install the OS because of a firmware error, if I format the drive to MacOS Journaled the installation starts but before it finishes the MBP restarts and I'm not able to finish. It happens with both OS.

What else can I do?

OT: Without realizing The SSD that came with the MPB became full and crashed. When I started the MBP gave me the folder with a ? error (can't find OS) I tried to fix the drive with disk utilities it can't be donde because it doesn't have enough free space (8 MB), i't can't be erased or formatted either. Do you know a solution?

Thank you in advance.

Find someone who can lend you their original apple ssd for upgrade purposes. You can always try to install macos on an external drive to see what happens, but it's unlikely this will do the job.
No harm in tying though ;)

I have MacOS installed on an external HD, the latest OS that I can install is Sierra, I failed with High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina. Thank You for your answer, I keep looking if somebody let me use their original SSD.

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
I have MacOS installed on an external HD, the latest OS that I can install is Sierra, I failed with High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina. Thank You for your answer, I keep looking if somebody let me use their original SSD.
eBay is your best bet, buy original apple ssd, return it if you're not satisfied with the product.

Last edited:

quaresma

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2013
Can the bootrom install file be extracted somehow? I'm on Mojave 10.14.6 with the latest security updates but my bootrom is till 186.0.0.0.0. The latest bootrom for my Early 2015 MBP on Catalina is 188.0.0.0.0?

But... if nothing important has changed I don't need it?

damaltor

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2019
Canada
Can the bootrom install file be extracted somehow? I'm on Mojave 10.14.6 with the latest security updates but my bootrom is till 186.0.0.0.0. The latest bootrom for my Early 2015 MBP on Catalina is 188.0.0.0.0?

But... if nothing important has changed I don't need it?
I'm a little confused, the info I am seeing for your MBP running Mojave is...
MacBookPro12,1 186.0.0.0.0
...and as Dimentium states, running Catalina...
MacBookPro12,1 187.0.0.0.0
Am I missing something?

quaresma

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2013
I'm a little confused, the info I am seeing for your MBP running Mojave is...
MacBookPro12,1 186.0.0.0.0
...and as Dimentium states, running Catalina...
MacBookPro12,1 187.0.0.0.0
Am I missing something?
It’s up to 188.0.0.0.0 on the latest Catalina beta. I’d like to know if bootrom update can be done without upgrading to Catalina?

liberace

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2019
guys how you don't understand that bootrom version bring you nothing
we will never receive update that will fix this because "the key of apple" is completely opposite in every product they made

Last edited:

bugra101

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2019
Has anyone ever experienced good read speeds but low write speeds after upgrading to Sabrent Rocket Ssd?

its an MBA 2017, Upgrade was flawless. Trim is enabled. x4 Pcie is showing on system info.

I`m getting 1500mb/s read and 800mb/s write.

Does indexing effect this result? I've done a clean OS install to Catalina from Catalina.

Also there seems to be 2 disks on Disk Utility like in the attached picture?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-12-08 at 01.29.56.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-08 at 01.29.56.png
    767.1 KB · Views: 168

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
I'd definitely go the adapter upgrade route rather than OWC. That way you can determine the quality of the NVME drive yourself ;-)

Well yes I can choose from various drive options though I don't really know which one is the best one. Just seems that the OWC drives would be easier in that I don't need to fuss with an adapter. Plus their prices seem decent now although I think SSD prices are still way too high compared to "traditional" HDD with the same capacity.

liberace

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2019
Has anyone ever experienced good read speeds but low write speeds after upgrading to Sabrent Rocket Ssd?

its an MBA 2017, Upgrade was flawless. Trim is enabled. x4 Pcie is showing on system info.

I`m getting 1500mb/s read and 800mb/s write.

Does indexing effect this result? I've done a clean OS install to Catalina from Catalina.

Also there seems to be 2 disks on Disk Utility like in the attached picture?
how is your battery life now?
I guess yes after indexing it should go close to 1200 on write

bugra101

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2019
how is your battery life now?
I guess yes after indexing it should go close to 1200 on write

I’ve not actually measured the battery yet, need to download coconut battery.

I havent actually left the mac running more than an hour since the upgrade. Might still be indexing. Will try again after a while.

quaresma

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2013
I’ve now used the Adata SX8200 pro 512GB on my early 2015 MBP, for 5 days.

Battery: Definitely a hit on battery, when just surfing and listening to music. I guess I have to live with it.

Speed: I was surprised to see mixed results. Sometimes r/w speeds are better and sometimes worse than the original drive. I don’t get nowhere near the 4k random speeds as you guys. Might have something to do with FileVault being enabled? Pretty disappointing. I don’t feel the faster speeds in the OS in general (loading apps, opening dmg files and so on).

Overall it was a really easy upgrade, I used the iFixit Essential Toolkit and was done in 5 minutes. I used the short Sintech adapter.

As for storage: Well what can I say, double the space! Went from 256 -> 512! I can now transfer most of my Raw files from the external drive.

Speed is still disappointing though... Makes me wonder why people say “you won’t notice Filevault, Apple is so smart blah blah”

efra

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016
Has anyone tried the 2 tb Sabrent version? Works normal? Would it work in the mbpr mid 2014?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.