Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

flameir

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2019
Hello. I need more space in my MacBook Pro 2015 i5 2.7 16GB.
Now I have 128GB (original) SSD, but I decided to upgrade it to 1TB. I really need good battery life, write/read speed is not so important for me. Can you guys can help me, which SSD is the best for battery? Are they all worse than original from Apple? :/
Thank you for your help!

gianttg

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2019
Hello. I need more space in my MacBook Pro 2015 i5 2.7 16GB.
Now I have 128GB (original) SSD, but I decided to upgrade it to 1TB. I really need good battery life, write/read speed is not so important for me. Can you guys can help me, which SSD is the best for battery? Are they all worse than original from Apple? :/
Thank you for your help!

intel660p should be good for you

Reactions: flameir

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Six months later report

- Original: Macbook Air 2013 13" 256GB SSD 8GB ram
- Upgrade: Adata XPG SX8200 1TB (not the Pro)
- Adaptor: Short adaptor with 183307 stamped on it, and on the green circuit board it says NFHK N-941A. (Possibly no longer available). Purchased from Amazon UK.

All working fine. Macbook Air far, far faster, far more snappy, far more usable after the upgrade. Occasional black screen / force reboot on waking. Especially if battery is under 5% when putting to sleep.

Old Apple SSD: around 400MB/sec
New Adata SSD: Around 1300MB/sec :)

Installation post:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...e.2034976/page-96?post=26773813#post-26773813

Important comment on the Adata SSD especially degrade in performance when filling up. To be expected but good to be aware.
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread....2034976/page-180?post=27430472#post-27430472

Next project:
I've just got a 2015 MBP 15", 16GB ram 512GB Apple SSD, 700MB/sec.

Feels 'slower' than the Air, even though the MPB has an i7 & fresh OSX install and the Air has an old undervolted i5. It's all because of the SSD (!) :)

I have a new Crucial 1TB CT1000 P1 which might be slower than the Adata. Considering moving the 1TB Adata to the MPB and putting the Crucial in the Air, but it's a lot of hassle.

I have a spare short 183307 adaptor (accidentally brought two last June). Any updates on adaptors? if not, I will use that for the MBP.

Reactions: tzevoon and teffers

Kraizelburg

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Spain
Six months later report

- Original: Macbook Air 2013 13" 256GB SSD 8GB ram
- Upgrade: Adata XPG SX8200 1TB (not the Pro)
- Adaptor: Short adaptor with 183307 stamped on it, and on the green circuit board it says NFHK N-941A. (Possibly no longer available). Purchased from Amazon UK.

All working fine. Macbook Air far, far faster, far more snappy, far more usable after the upgrade. Occasional black screen / force reboot on waking. Especially if battery is under 5% when putting to sleep.

Old Apple SSD: around 400MB/sec
New Adata SSD: Around 1300MB/sec :)

Installation post:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...e.2034976/page-96?post=26773813#post-26773813

Important comment on the Adata SSD especially degrade in performance when filling up. To be expected but good to be aware.
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread....2034976/page-180?post=27430472#post-27430472

Next project:
I've just got a 2015 MBP 15", 16GB ram 512GB Apple SSD, 700MB/sec.

Feels 'slower' than the Air, even though the MPB has an i7 & fresh OSX install and the Air has an old undervolted i5. It's all because of the SSD (!) :)

I have a new Crucial 1TB CT1000 P1 which might be slower than the Adata. Considering moving the 1TB Adata to the MPB and putting the Crucial in the Air, but it's a lot of hassle.

I have a spare short 183307 adaptor (accidentally brought two last June). Any updates on adaptors? if not, I will use that for the MBP.
How's battery life compared to before the upgrade?

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
How's battery life compared to before the upgrade?
As far as I can tell, about the same. Functionally a little bit less because I have to be more careful now about not letting it go under 5% while asleep if I don’t want to loose unsaved work.

Overnight it loses a couple of %, but quite minimal.

Kraizelburg

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Spain
As far as I can tell, about the same. Functionally a little bit less because I have to be more careful now about not letting it go under 5% while asleep if I don’t want to loose unsaved work.

Overnight it loses a couple of %, but quite minimal.
Thanks for your comments. Could you post some iStats screenshoots to have a look at power consumption?

Thanks again

sanitariu

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2019
After doing some digging in the Apple supplied EFI tools, I have had a strong suspicion it should be possible to develop a software-based solution to flashing a modified bootrom that should fix the Late 2013 hibernation issues.

Some users reported to have achieved this successfully around November/December 2018, but their guides or information are incomplete or don't deliver the desired results anymore.(https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...use-of-a-sintech-adapter#comment444229_333495)
(https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ld-efi-after-downgrade-from-yosemite.1803934/)

Modifying the firmware updater is very similar to modifying the extracted bootrom image (through hardware extraction with a CH341A or /usr/libexec/Firmwarecheckers/eficheck/eficheck). The main difference is you're changing an firmware updater file, and not a rom image from the chip. The chip files use rom or .bin.
  1. Extract the latest firmware updater file for your specific MacBook from the a Mac Install.app(Open Contents->Contents->SharedSupport->InstallESD.dmg->Packages->FirmwareUpdate.pkg->Scripts->Scripts->Tools->EFIPayloads). For my Late 2013 it was MBP111.scap
  2. Extract the firmware for the 2015 Macbook. For my 13" Late 2013 I used MBP114.fd
  3. Use UEFITools 0.24 to extract the NVMe driver (GUID
    51116915-C34B-4D8E-86DB-6A70F2E60DAA) as a separate file from the MBP114.fd, I named it DXE NVME2015, and the added extension was .ffs
  4. Execute a "Replace as is" on the NVMe driver in the MBP111.scap and replace it using the DXE NVMe.ffs file
  5. save the firmware updater file, and you could be required to rename the extension back to .scap
  6. Use terminal and execute sudo /usr/libexec/efiupdater -p /Path/To/Folder/Containing/fixed.scap --force-update
  7. This should pre-stage the EFI firmware and write it to the EFI partition with bless -mount / -firmware
  8. According to the users reporting success, if you'd shutdown the Mac, wait a few seconds, and turn it back on, it should go to a grey screen and a progress bar, indicating it is flashing the pre-staged firmware update to the actual bootrom. Actual quote from second link above: "Shut down your mac from menu, wait until it will turn off.
    Wait a bit, then turn on your computer but do NOT hold the power button down. The screen will turn black and remain in that state for up to 40 seconds. A gray screen will appear and a status bar indicates the progress of the update."

Until step 8, everything works and gives good outputs. I can see the changed firmware in the EFI partition. It just doesn't flash it when booting the first time after it. I've tried running the efiupdater from recovery as well, not different results.

For now I'll flash my MacBook tonight with the CH341 and Pomona clip I have waiting at home. But I'm sure someone with a bit more knowledge can fix this method too, and save a lot of people the risk of flashing manually.

=====EDIT=====
After some more testing, I tried to pre-stage/flash an unmodified MBP111.scap to my Late 2013. Same terminal response, but it DID flash it with a visible progress bar when rebooting afterwards.
So:

There is probably some firmware signing taking place, meaning this would never work.... Maybe it's been added since Mojave, leading to some users being successful previously :(

Do you have any new success in flashing firmware via software on 2013 MacBook Air

omawnakw

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2019
Hi, i'm having a problem when i try to connect the ch341a to my secondary mac... it doesn't recognize the chip and i don't know where to find drivers of it, how can i ask you some questions about it?
Thanks
As far as I know there is no SPI drivers for ch341a for MacOS: chip manufacturer doesn't supply them (only for Linux and Windows). There is SDK available and the low level USB driver but it is useless for most of us. So the easiest way is to run linux either with BootCamp or virtualisation software with usb passthrough support like Parallels Desktop.

EDIT: Looks like I was wrong. flashrom utility can talk directly to usb device. Programmer name is ch341a_spi (jumper must short pins 1 and 2 as it set by default to work in SPI mode):
Bash:
brew install flashrom
flashrom -p ch341a_spi -r dump1.bin -c "MX25L6406E/MX25L6408E"

If you don't have homebrew you can get it at https://brew.sh/
You can find instruction by Cmd+Q in rtf file on the first page of this thread. here https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ssd-to-m-2-nvme.2034976/page-65#post-26224320
If you have problem with flashrom identifying the chip you should check your connection pinout.

Last edited:

Menkveld

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2019
So after having read this forum multiple times i decided to upgrade my 13” macbook pro early 2015 (12,1) from 128gb to 1tb. I found the wd black sn750 for a good deal and its from a known good brand.
Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/r.html?C=1VAYFMVJ4YLY6&K=MGXKL72OLY7V&M=urn:rtn:msg:20191129000106bda64ebbf1304428a7e1f0d5b890p0eu&R=129U4DH2OP0TH&T=C&U=https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07M64QXMN/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item&H=J1ZAHAZRRJA7GXOTLLXUPSWQCAKA&ref_=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

I also went with the official sintech adapter:https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/r.html?C=1VAYFMVJ4YLY6&K=MGXKL72OLY7V&M=urn:rtn:msg:20191129000106bda64ebbf1304428a7e1f0d5b890p0eu&R=Z09NQCTW1ZUR&T=C&U=https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FYY3H5F/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item&H=6QQYDC14IWFK8GOIB946NUBBID4A&ref_=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

It works great, much faster and more storage. The only downside are the kernel panics which occur.
They seem to occur when my macbook is in hybernation and password locked on. I tried disabling power nap and put ssd in sleep when possible. Still doesnt work. I tried a reinstall of the soeftware but no luck either.
Im out of ideas.
image.jpg

W_Y_G_K

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2019
I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015).

And I want to upgrade SSD.

Can I use WD Blue™ 3D NAND SATA SSD Internal Storage 2TB NVME M.2 2280 ?

Not WD BLACK!

Last edited:

Walee

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2018
The only downside are the kernel panics which occur.
They seem to occur when my macbook is in hybernation and password locked on.

Looks like it panics because of nvme driver or something related. What version of bootrom your mac has?

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
The only downside are the kernel panics which occur.
They seem to occur when my macbook is in hybernation and password locked on. I tried disabling power nap and put ssd in sleep when possible. Still doesnt work. I tried a reinstall of the soeftware but no luck either.
Im out of ideas.

For me, on a 15 inch 2015 MBP, Kapton tape was the answer. First at the end of the adapter, reducing the amount of metal exposed on the pins being inserted into the socket. That fixed most of my problems. Was still getting a few problems, so Kapton tape on the surface underneath the SSD. No idea if the latter did anything, of if just reseating it fixed it, but so far so good.

Carioquinha

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2019
Hi @All,
meanwhile my "short" sintech adapter has arrived, together with the adata 8200 pro in place insde my macbook pro retina 13" early 2015; hdd clone installed - and - it works finally. As well as without the "bulge" on the backside as with the usage of the "long" adapter.
And yes - temperature is getting higher than with the original apple sdd - but seems not to be an issue so far - but:
My macbook has slown down significantly - at startup and also at startup of simple appes (like safari etc.).
Quick test with an SDD test has shown writing speeds up to 1.300 MB/sec and reading speed up to 1.500 MB/sec (with 5 GB files).

Does anybody of you guys have an idea what could have gone wrong?
BTW - "FileVault" is still off - I did not change anything in the configuration.

Thanks in advance,
Carioquinha

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
Hi @All,
meanwhile my "short" sintech adapter has arrived, together with the adata 8200 pro in place insde my macbook pro retina 13" early 2015; hdd clone installed - and - it works finally. As well as without the "bulge" on the backside as with the usage of the "long" adapter.
And yes - temperature is getting higher than with the original apple sdd - but seems not to be an issue so far - but:
My macbook has slown down significantly - at startup and also at startup of simple appes (like safari etc.).
Quick test with an SDD test has shown writing speeds up to 1.300 MB/sec and reading speed up to 1.500 MB/sec (with 5 GB files).

Does anybody of you guys have an idea what could have gone wrong?
BTW - "FileVault" is still off - I did not change anything in the configuration.

Thanks in advance,
Carioquinha
do a pram and smc reset see if that helps.

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
OK, so I put the 2TB Sabrent in a late 2015 MacBook pro maxed out. I took it out of my late 2013 MacBook pro 15 inch. In the 2013, I was getting consistent speeds of 1300 MB/s read and write. In the 2015, I'm getting 2500 MB/s writes and a fraction of that with reads, most recently 600 MB/s. Sometimes the reads get up to 1200 or so, and as I run the speed test, the writes slow to 1300 MB/s or so. Any idea why the 2015 would be so much less consistent with speeds?

Hmm. For some reason, spotlight is back at work. Looks like it's having to reindex the entire drive, even though I just moved it from one machine to another.

Last edited:

Carioquinha

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2019
do a pram and smc reset see if that helps.

Hey Vince22,
thanks a lot - but unfortunately that did not help so far - I feel that the entire system is running with lower speed somehow - for example loading this forum's page takes (visible) split second longer. Another example: Starting safari without specific starting page normally shows directly all bookmarks - with the ssd installed, that takes a bit longer: In first instance I can see only some unspecific place holder for those bookmarks - a second later it shows the specific icons. With the original apple ssd installed I never saw those "place holders" but directly the specific icons.

Any other idea?

Thanks and a great weekend!
Carioquinha

Carioquinha

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2019
Hey guys,
I don't have any idea - but after formatting the SDD again and installing the same clone as before - the system seems to be working well...anybody with an idea why? ;)

Cheers,
Carioquinha

markintosh13

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2018
Anyone in Canada: the ADATA SX8200 2TB is on sale - $300 after $50 instant coupon, Prime shipping. When I bought mine I was not charged tax (YMMV). Have been very happy with the two Adata XPG SX8200 drives I've used to upgrade MacBooks (a 1TB SX8200 went into my 13" Late 2013 and a 2TB SX8200 Pro ended up in my 13" early 2015 (after a bit of a painful start with two Sabrent 2TB Rockets that failed [one that created endless kernel panics and another that worked great but then abruptly died after two days]).

Screen Shot 2019-12-21 at 10.00.43 AM.png

Menkveld

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2019
Looks like it panics because of nvme driver or something related. What version of bootrom your mac has?
Hi,
I checked my bootrom and it is 187.0.0.0.0
My macbook is the 12,1
I did some research and found that bootrom 188.0.0.0.0 is available for my macbook.
(I’m currently on the latest catalina 10.15.1)

Walee

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2018
I did some research and found that bootrom 188.0.0.0.0 is available for my macbook.

an nvme ssd should in theory work as intended with 187.0.0.0.0 bootrom, so it must be something else. I'd try a different ssd if possible - maybe your current one is simply incompatible. Also if there is a firmware update available for your ssd - it might be a good idea to apply it before trying to swap it. Note: remember to create backups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.