Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

code600

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
Hi @code600, I tried the same thing today, flashing a MBP2014 with 2015 NVME drivers. I followed the steps outlined here: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...e.2034976/page-54?post=26102169#post-26102169

Dosdudes ROMTool confirmed the flash, but rechecking with UEFITool suggests, that nothing got flashed. Even the checksum did not change. (My System is running on a 960GB JetDrive 'TS960GJDM850' on a MacBookPro11,3 with OSX10.13.6)

Any hints on how you did this?

I first took a 2015 macbook, updated it to the latest firmware. Dumped the firmware on my computer using the TL866II programmer. Opened the firmware with UEFITool and looked for the file that starts with 51116915, right click on it and click Extract As Is and save it(I noticed on the newer UEFITool for some reason you can't extract anymore so use older version). Then I dumped the firmware from the 2013 macbook on my computer. Opened it with UEFITool then found the same 51116915 file and right click, replace as is, locate the previous file that I extracted, then save the rom file. Hook up the programmer, open the file and flash it. You don't need a 2015 macbook you can extract the nvme file from the OS installer.

If you are using Dosdudes ROMTool, all it does is just read your original rom file and it can write a rom file to your macbook as well, But you will need to use the UEFITool afterwards to inject the NVME file (the one you extract using UEFITool from a OS installer) then use the Dosdudes ROMTool to flash the saved ROM to your macbook. I would recommend getting a SPI flash programmer and also a SOP8 adapter clip so you don't have to desolder EFI chip, all you would need to do is add additional 3.3V to 1 of the power pins to power on the chip. Doing it using Disdudes ROMTool doesn't require any of the programmers but if something goes wrong then your macbook will not function anymore and then you would need to buy the programmer to fix it

nas7y

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2019
Moscow
I use my retina late 2013 with nvme adapter+ 256gb a-data gammixs5 . With samsung 970 i had problems and sell it momentally.

hariv

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I have iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), thunderbolt 2 ( Firmware Version: 23.10)

planning to connect to "Samsung MZ-V7E1T0BW 970 EVO 1 TB V-NAND M.2 PCI Express Solid State Drive, Black"
as an external drive connected to thunderbolt 2.

Will that work on my imac model ?

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac14,2
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: 140.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.15f7

The reason being , my imac has Fusion drive (of which 128 is SSD), so attaching nvme m.2 would be great.

and then install latest mac os catalina on it

Can someone please tell me it will work as is , without any of the flashing?

Thanks.

znbrook

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2019
I'm not sure how, but hibernation is now working for me on my 2014 MBP 13". I'm using a sabrent 512gb nvme drive. I decided to turn it back on just to see if it would work for some reason, and it did! Maybe it's the new Catalina beta update? Not sure. Just wanted to say somthing.

efra

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016
Finally today i have got the MP510 from Corsair, 960gb, using short adapter although i have both of them and these are the speeds i am getting. No problems so far.
Macbook pro retina 13 inch Mid 2014
Captura de Pantalla 2019-12-28 a la(s) 6.49.26 p. m..png

Reactions: sawpits and nas7y

Rauliki

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2019
I'm not sure how, but hibernation is now working for me on my 2014 MBP 13". I'm using a sabrent 512gb nvme drive. I decided to turn it back on just to see if it would work for some reason, and it did! Maybe it's the new Catalina beta update? Not sure. Just wanted to say somthing.
Could you check boot rom version?

tk_mac

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2019
Which sintech adapter should I get, the short version or the long version and why? I need to do both a 2015 Mac Book Air and a 2015 Mac Book Pro.

Short Version

Long Version

tk_mac

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2019
Please note: There are three different Sabrent Rocket 2TB drives.
In case anyone is interested, it seems like the sabrent 2TB drive is overheating in my 2015 15" MBP. I get higher speeds for a moment, then the fans kick on, and the drive slows way down. Not sure if there's a way to fix this.
I had two 2TB Sabrent Rockets fail in my 13" early 2015 - one started exhibiting kernel panics with increasing frequency, the other worked great for two days then suddenly failed. N=2, so YMMV.
Which 2TB Rocket did you install? There are three different 2TB products, two of them PCIe Gen3 and one of them PCIe Gen4 (which specifically requires a heat sink)
Here are the links to Sabrent.
1) https://www.sabrent.com/product/SB-...ernal-ssd-high-performance-solid-state-drive/
2) https://www.sabrent.com/product/SB-...ernal-ssd-high-performance-solid-state-drive/
3) https://www.sabrent.com/product/SB-...al-ssd-maximum-performance-solid-state-drive/
Were you both on option 3? Would it be correct that only options 1 and 2 are appropriate for our purposes here?

tk_mac

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2019
I am having some confusion about power consumption specs. I looked at numbers in our tables at the top of this thread and numbers off of manufacture spec sheets and I am finding huge order of magnitude differences. Why?

Three Examples
1) Intel 660p. Our chart shows Idle 0.6w, Write 2.5w, Read 2.7w. Intel says Active 0.1w, Idel 0.040w
2) Adata SX8200. Our chart shows Idle 0.6w, Write 3.9w, Read 3.7w. XPG says 0.33w active, 0.14w Slumber
3) Intel 760p. Our chart shows Idle 0.6w, Write 4.2w, Read 3.6w. Intel says Active 70mw (0.070w), Idle 25mw (0.025w)

I am trying to choose a drive that will not create significant extra heat and battery drain and I am not sure how to interpret this. Any advice?

Kraizelburg

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Spain
I am having some confusion about power consumption specs. I looked at numbers in our tables at the top of this thread and numbers off of manufacture spec sheets and I am finding huge order of magnitude differences. Why?

Three Examples
1) Intel 660p. Our chart shows Idle 0.6w, Write 2.5w, Read 2.7w. Intel says Active 0.1w, Idel 0.040w
2) Adata SX8200. Our chart shows Idle 0.6w, Write 3.9w, Read 3.7w. XPG says 0.33w active, 0.14w Slumber
3) Intel 760p. Our chart shows Idle 0.6w, Write 4.2w, Read 3.6w. Intel says Active 70mw (0.070w), Idle 25mw (0.025w)

I am trying to choose a drive that will not create significant extra heat and battery drain and I am not sure how to interpret this. Any advice?
Hi, that's because NVME drives can enter into a deep sleep mode in windows and probably Linux but Mac OS only have this deep sleep feature with their own propietary drives so whatever measure you read on manufacturer's website isn't going to be applicable in a Mac OS enviroment.

It is sad but this is the price of close hardware drivers.

I bought a corsair MP510 after following this chart but I ended returning it because battery life went down for over 2 hours and in my situation this was unacceptable. But personal situations vary for each individual. If you have your mac plugged most of the time then I can't see any problem.

Also bear in mind that temps will rise a few degrees depending on the drive.

Last edited:

efra

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016
Hi, that's because NVME drives can enter into a deep sleep mode in windows and probably Linux but Mac OS only have this deep sleep feature with their own propietary drives so whatever measure you read on manufacturer's website isn't going to be applicable in a Mac OS enviroment.

It is sad but this is the price of close hardware drivers.

I bought a corsair MP510 after following this chart but I ended returning it because battery life went down for over 2 hours and in my situation this was unacceptable. But personal situations vary for each individual. If you have your mac plugged most of the time then I can't see any problem.

Also bear in mind that temps will rise a few degrees depending on the drive.
Which drive did you end getting? I dont use the computer without the brick but i can see how fast the battery is dryung up

tk_mac

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2019
I am interested in 2TB drives. How might I find out the relevant power draws for use in the Mac environment? I am particularly interested in Sabrent Rocket, Corsair, Adata, and Intel 660p/760p in 2TB capacities and don't think I should just use the numbers off our chart in the first post as those are from lower capacity drives.

Kraizelburg

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Spain
Which drive did you end getting? I dont use the computer without the brick but i can see how fast the battery is dryung up
I have a 2015 13"MPB with 128GB storage, as I said I bought the MP510 which is a great drive and I didnt have any problem with Catalina instalation but battery life got hit pretty hard due to the reasons I post above so I ended buying a 256GB original apple drive on eBay.

Worth mentioning that I also have a NAS with 2x3TB in raid 1, so I decided to go this route instead.
[automerge]1577652493[/automerge]
I am interested in 2TB drives. How might I find out the relevant power draws for use in the Mac environment? I am particularly interested in Sabrent Rocket, Corsair, Adata, and Intel 660p/760p in 2TB capacities and don't think I should just use the numbers off our chart in the first post as those are from lower capacity drives.
If I were you I would just check manufacturer's website but ignore low power state mode data. In my case MP510 was idling at 0.16A whereas with the stock drive is 0.02A in the same scenario.

The main impact is at idle as stock drive can go into deep sleep whereas third party drives cant.

Last edited:

markintosh13

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2018
Please note: There are three different Sabrent Rocket 2TB drives.

Which 2TB Rocket did you install? There are three different 2TB products, two of them PCIe Gen3 and one of them PCIe Gen4 (which specifically requires a heat sink)
Here are the links to Sabrent.
1) https://www.sabrent.com/product/SB-...ernal-ssd-high-performance-solid-state-drive/
2) https://www.sabrent.com/product/SB-...ernal-ssd-high-performance-solid-state-drive/
3) https://www.sabrent.com/product/SB-...al-ssd-maximum-performance-solid-state-drive/
Were you both on option 3? Would it be correct that only options 1 and 2 are appropriate for our purposes here?

both of my failed Sabrent Rocket 2TB drives were option 2 versions - SB-ROCKET-2TB

My successful 2TB install is a XPG 8200Pro

Reactions: sawpits

Johnny Wei

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2019
Hi,
I did some research and buy materials what I need(Crucial P1 1TB, sintech adaptor, bootable USB with Mojiva) but the disk utility can't find my new SSD.
The following is my mac information:
Model name: A1502 /MacBookPro11,1
BootRom: 157.0.0.0.0
MacOS: catalina 10.15.2

Still, I could not figure out which parts might be wrong. I saw a lot of DIY it works on their Macbook pro ( A1502) with P1 SSD.

I put the P1 SSD with adaptor and try to boot from USB and Mac can't find my internal disk. ( I've tried another adaptor and it's the same problem). If I use the Hard drive Enclosure, the system can recognize the P1 as external disk.
Anyone knows which might cause the system can't recognize my P1 internal disk? It's related to the latest BootROM?

Thanks

tk_mac

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2019
both of my failed Sabrent Rocket 2TB drives were option 2 versions - SB-ROCKET-2TB

My successful 2TB install is a XPG 8200Pro
As for the 2TB Sabrents,
Mine is also the version 2. Hmm.
Then which Sabrent series is our chart at the top of this thread talking about? I understand people were reporting good results with Sabrent? But which Sabrents?
Also how is that XPG doing on heat and battery drain?
[automerge]1577709854[/automerge]
If I were you I would just check manufacturer's website but ignore low power state mode data. In my case MP510 was idling at 0.16A whereas with the stock drive is 0.02A in the same scenario.

The main impact is at idle as stock drive can go into deep sleep whereas third party drives cant.

Going back to my Three Examples I had quoted all the power data given by manufacturers.
If I ignore idle and slumber specs, the remaining numbers are all very low, including the drive you said ate up your battery. So I do not know what to think.

Last edited:

Rauliki

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2019
I can’t remember the number it was, but I do remember that it was current and up to date when I cross checked it a couple of hours ago. had a 157 i think?
Ok, thanks.
Did you buy this Sabrent online? Could you post a link?

TheKenny

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2019
Germany
Hello, sorry if this was already discussed at some point.

MacBook Pro Retina 2014 - macOS Catalina 10.15.2
MacBookPro11.3 - Intel Core i7 4980HQ 2.8 GHz - 16GB DDR3-1600- GT750M 2GB
SSD: OWC Aura Pro X2 2TB

I've bought the OWC Aura Pro X2 2TB since I thought it works out of the box and it would be the least stress. I've replaced the original 1TB SSD that was in my MacBook with the new 2TB and installed the latest macOS Catalina 10.15.2 on it. Read and write speeds are great, but sleep doesn't work. When I close the lid of my MacBook or it goes to sleep on its own it crashes due to the following error:

Sleep Wake failure in EFI
Failure code:: 0x0131150e 0x0000001f

Is there anything I can do about it or do I have to live with this?
Thanks in advance for any help!

story

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2015
I could not get these two to work on 2013 and 2015 (bootrom 149) with ST-NGFF2013-B

Intel X600 1TB
SK hynix PCIe Gen3 x4 PC300 NVMe 256GB

Last edited:

Rauliki

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2019
Hello, sorry if this was already discussed at some point.

MacBook Pro Retina 2014 - macOS Catalina 10.15.2
MacBookPro11.3 - Intel Core i7 4980HQ 2.8 GHz - 16GB DDR3-1600- GT750M 2GB
SSD: OWC Aura Pro X2 2TB

I've bought the OWC Aura Pro X2 2TB since I thought it works out of the box and it would be the least stress. I've replaced the original 1TB SSD that was in my MacBook with the new 2TB and installed the latest macOS Catalina 10.15.2 on it. Read and write speeds are great, but sleep doesn't work. When I close the lid of my MacBook or it goes to sleep on its own it crashes due to the following error:

Sleep Wake failure in EFI
Failure code:: 0x0131150e 0x0000001f

Is there anything I can do about it or do I have to live with this?
Thanks in advance for any help!
Check what version of bootrom you have now.
If not the latest, try to install Catalina on your original Apple disk - make sure you are connected to power plug, then put your OWC back and try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.