Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgdominguez

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2010
Hopefully with a keyboard redesign where they get rid of the stupid rounded keys at the corners and fix the truly stupid arrow keys where you have one square arrow key, one with a rounded corner and two tiny dumb ones arranged in a horrible way. The only way to make the arrow keys worse is to distribute them at random at various places on the keyboard.

This would be a fantastic upgrade. I like my Magic Keyboard, but those arrow keys are frustrating. But, I doubt they will change them, I ended up getting another keyboard for when my patience runs out.

Reactions: jlnr

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Who the hell would want to use the Magic Mouse while plugged in? This is such a stupid complaint. A charging cable is far too thick and heavy for comfortable or accurate mouse use anyway. Plug it in for 5 minutes during your next dump and get hours to days of use.
A charging cable is no different from the wire on a wired mouse…

I use my logitech mouse while it’s charging just fine, sometimes you’re busy when the battery dies or gets low and taking a break while it charges isnt great on timing

Reactions: drrich2 and 1129846

andrewxgx

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2018
pretty sure those will be released along with m3 mac studio
so those too should be coming out on sprin

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
This will finally put an end to the shame.

But then they will "update" the iMac again, just for that? I hope so, but why didn't they do it last month boggles my mind. It's such an easy change...

Reactions: panther quest

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
Dear Apple,

Please make me a split ergonomic keyboard with tall-travel keys and a function row. Also make me a wireless optical mouse with sides you can grip with your fingers and a knurled metal scroll wheel. And make them with a switch so you can control a couple-three Macs, or maybe an iPad.

Oh, nevermind, sry. I found a Logitech ERGO K860 plus MX Anywhere 3.

But instead, can you make me a USB-C BlueRay SuperDrive?

Oh, nevermind, sry. I found a Pioneer.

But instead, can you make the iPhone work with a slightly smaller (perhaps collapsible) version of the Pencil?

Like a Samsung S-thingie?

Promise I'll be good and buy a MBP M3P this year, if I can sell my Porsche to pay for RAM.

'kaythanxbye

• Haha
Reactions: jlnr and mrnoark

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
This will finally put an end to the shame.

But then they will "update" the iMac again, just for that? I hope so, but why didn't they do it last month boggles my mind. It's such an easy change...
The Mac Pro also ships with a keyboard and mouse/trackpad (the Mini and Studio do not) so it could be timed with the Mac Pro M3 Ultra refresh at WWDC. Maybe Apple figures it's less of a hassle to update the single color options for the Retail and Mac Pro keyboards than the six color options for the iMac.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Ah, classic Apple undervalueing: cut out some necessity to upsell the customer later.

Shove Lightning accessories in all those iMacs and youre going to make people hungry for USB-C ones.

Reactions: Mrkevinfinnerty

chewbaka

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
Dear Apple,

Please make me a split ergonomic keyboard with tall-travel keys and a function row. Also make me a wireless optical mouse with sides you can grip with your fingers and a knurled metal scroll wheel. And make them with a switch so you can control a couple-three Macs, or maybe an iPad.

Oh, nevermind, sry. I found a Logitech ERGO K860 plus MX Anywhere 3.

But instead, can you make me a USB-C BlueRay SuperDrive?

Oh, nevermind, sry. I found a Pioneer.

But instead, can you make the iPhone work with a slightly smaller (perhaps collapsible) version of the Pencil?

Like a Samsung S-thingie?

Promise I'll be good and buy a MBP M3P this year, if I can sell my Porsche to pay for RAM.

'kaythanxbye
Why does Apple need to make all these accessories when there’s a huge third-party market? What a weird complaint.

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
Long overdue. Does not fix the fundmental issues of the magic mouse being a really crappy over price mouse with a bad charging port location.

I would also argue the keyboard is overpriced but at least you can use it while you are charging. not a bad keyboard to throw in a back though to take on trips. Mine lives in my laptop bag so when we I do have to travel for work I have a movable keyboard but otherwise it goes unused. Only have it because it was from a former employer.

now the apple track pad I like and find it useful so I have easy access to track pad commands.

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
Who the hell would want to use the Magic Mouse while plugged in? This is such a stupid complaint. A charging cable is far too thick and heavy for comfortable or accurate mouse use anyway. Plug it in for 5 minutes during your next dump and get hours to days of use.

A lot of people. It not always an option when your mouse dies when you are in the middle of using it. My have had my MX mouse die on me while I was using it. Guess what I was able to quickly plug it in and keep using it while it charged. A lot of people like me will see oh low charge and that is a later problem or just slips my mind. I rather just plug it in and keep using it.
Also if you think a charging cable is 2 thick then I think you have some other issue as most cables are pretty light and not even noticable. Just annoying and might get in the way.

McWetty

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
It’s not for everybody, but my MX3 mouse and craft keyboard are perfect on my Studio. And with Flow, I can bounce back and forth (with copy-paste) to my gaming PC. Only down side is the logitech options software was coded by Satan himself.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
Ah, classic Apple undervalueing: cut out some necessity to upsell the customer later.

Shove Lightning accessories in all those iMacs and youre going to make people hungry for USB-C ones.

Was always the plan. Get rid of the existing stock on the new iMac customers and then bring out new accessories it should have come with in the first place to buy the following year 💰

Tim's good at his job

Last edited:

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
It really isn't a big deal as I don't use an Apple branded mouse or trackpad, however I do use an Apple Extended Keyboard with TouchID and actually would like to ad another. I've been waiting for the USB-C version not so much as I'd prefer USB-C on my other system, but also because hopefully it would lead to a "sale" on the lightning version that I could then pick up even cheaper!

Redtel

Suspended
Nov 18, 2023
They'll snap a USB-C port and call it a day, like they've been doing lately, specially with that Magic Mouse which has been the epitome of industrial design memes.

Deine Mudda

macrumors member
May 16, 2022

Apple's Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse, and Magic Trackpad could finally switch from Lightning to USB-C in the spring of 2024.

mac-magic-keyboard.jpg

The rumor, originating from Weibo user "Instant Digital," suggests that all three of Apple's Lightning-based peripherals designed for the Mac could receive an upgrade in the spring. It is unclear if the accessories will have any changes beyond the switch to USB-C. They still look largely the same as they did when they received their last major update in October 2015, although there have been some minor revisions over the years, including a switch to braided cables, and new color options that are only available with the 24-inch iMac. Apple also released a Magic Keyboard with a Touch ID button in 2021.

While the Magic Mouse lasts around a month or longer between charges, the position of the Lightning port on the bottom of the accessory has been a point of contention in the Apple community for many years, as it prevents it from being used while charging. It is unclear if the USB-C port on the new version will be placed in a more convenient location.

Ever since Apple began transitioning from Lightning to USB-C, the port change on its peripherals has been widely anticipated. Despite rumors suggesting that the switch would occur with the release of the company's new iMacs in October, no such change occurred and all three accessories continue to sport a Lightning port for charging and pairing.

Apple's decision to leave the accessories unchanged is notable because the company has otherwise progressively been moving to USB-C. The entire iPhone 15 lineup, all latest-generation iPad models, the Siri Remote for Apple TV, second-generation AirPods Pro, and new Apple Pencil all now feature a USB-C port. Other than the three peripherals that accompany the ‌iMac‌, the only latest-generation Apple devices that still have a Lightning port are the AirPods, AirPods Max, and iPhone SE.

Spring officially runs from March to May. An update to the various "Magic" Mac accessories in this time frame would be unusual, given that the iMac was refreshed just five to seven months earlier, but it is not out of the question. Apple is rumored to be planning several product releases for the spring, including new iPads and Macs, and potentially its Vision Pro headset.

Instant Digital has a mixed track record in terms of revealing accurate information about Apple's plans. The source was first to report the iPhone 14's Yellow spring refresh, Spatial Video on the iPhone 15 Pro, and the Apple Watch Series 9's minor refresh, as well as the only rumor claiming that the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus would feature frosted back glass. However, they also have made claims about several iOS 17 features and the release of a new iPad Air in October 2023 that did not pan out.

Article Link: USB-C Magic Keyboard, Mouse, and Trackpad Could Arrive in Spring 2024
Would be an absolute insolence towards anyone who bought an M3 iMac the last days.
I promise you that Apple will change the lightning accessories to USB-C once they arrive.

B-Mc-C

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2017
Irvine, California
Why can’t we have a backlit keyboard? And maybe a bigger battery? I use my Mac Studio for about an hour a month and nearly every time I sit down to find the keyboard and trackpad need to be recharged. Seems they could work on the power management algorithm too, wake up when a key is pressed instead of being on and draining energy 24/7. Too much to ask?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.