Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coluch

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2015
It'd be great if they added backlighting to the keyboard.
Look up the Satechi Slim X1 (wireless) or W1 (wired). Backlit & USB-C, years ahead of Apple, and matching their product design & quality - at a lower price point.

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
Still sticking with the ugly white/silver with no black keys/silver frame option? Will it finally be backlit?

livmatus

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2020
backlight, inverted T arrow keys and retractable legs for the keyboard

a more ergonomic design and charging port not on the bottom for the mouse … on the front ideally

… those are basic things for such peripherals… hope Apple can do it someday

Reactions: flybass and ric22

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Wasn't the reason Apple made the switch to USB-C new regulation from the EU that will become active by the end of 2024?

Lightning is nearing the end of its useful life as it doesn't have enough physical wires fully support USB-3 (needs an active dongle), Thunderbolt or higher-resolution displays - which is starting to become an issue for the iPad Pro, at least, and the higher-end iPhones which are increasingly being pitched as video/photo production devices. I guess, but for the EU, Apple could have invented "Lightning 2" - but what for, since Apple were already a key supporter of USB-C? (Ans: MFi licensing fees!)

Once Apple started using USB-C on the iPad Pro it made perfect sense to start transitioning the rest of the range.

Of course, if you change the cable, some people are always going to be left with obsolete cables and adapters - so here the EU are doing what they do best - providing someone else to blame :)

Reactions: Tagbert

Mrkevinfinnerty

Suspended
Aug 13, 2022
These peripherals really are terrible value, its as if Apple feel obliged to leave out features that every other keyboard at the same price point have.

Super premium price point, unchanged for years , nonsensical line up (want a black keyboard? you have to buy the full size with numpad for reasons unknown)

Classic Tim Cook.

Reactions: ric22

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
Why Apple seems to get stuck in certain ruts of pig-headedness is beyond superficial evidence. Would love to sit in their design meetings, to suss out which decisions are financial vs. technical vs. personal.

Saint Steve was reported to have shouted down advice to introduce a stylus for the iPad, to the effect that a fingers are humankind's natural pointer. True enough, for two fingers, at least. However, upon deciding that drawing and writing should be a thing, humankind picked up a straight stick. Finally sense prevailed, and folks love the Pencil - or needn't buy one if they don't. Winner!

Would that not be an amazing differentiator for a Pro-level iPhone? For a Pro-Level FLIP iPhone? That would run the old Newton's "scroll" application? On its OUTER screen, too, so you could strap it to the outside of your sleeve to take pictures and write notes? With a charger that derives power from both photovoltaics and the reciprocating motion of your arm (You pervs! But, yeah, that does wind a mechanical watch).

Is there any company better positioned than Apple to make supercool things with taste and style?

Alas, no company will ever do that with an Ops guy at the helm, instead of a visionary. Visionaries destroy the quarterlies, every time.

But maybe that's how it's supposed to be. Frankly, humanity really doesn't deserve to have nice things.

OliverFoggin

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2015
Yup... my Magic Keyboard is on the way out (It's like 4 or 5 years old) and I'm waiting for the USB-C version before updating. Want the TouchID versions too.

🫠

Reactions: boston04and07

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
USB-C charging on those desk tutorials are not important at all to me. I have a lightning cord almost hidden to take out every month or so to charge the kb and the tp.
D*mn it, I had just bought new keyboard to my Studio when they relaesed the new with touch-id. So I of course had to buy that. I don't need to buy with USB now, absolutely not.
But of course, it's good to move on to make all USB-C, for long term.

Reactions: Tagbert

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
USB-C charging on those desk tutorials are not important at all to me. I have a lightning cord almost hidden to take out every month or so to charge the kb and the tp.
D*mn it, I had just bought new keyboard to my Studio when they relaesed the new with touch-id. So I of course had to buy that. I don't need to buy with USB now, absolutely not.
But of course, it's good to move on to make all USB-C, for long term.
I agree. I’ve seen posts about how slow Apple has been about not upgrading these peripherals to USB. I don’t think it is that big a deal for these devices. It matters a lot for mobile devices where you are traveling and want to limit the number of cables and devices you are carrying. It matters a lot less for stationary peripherals like this. It’s not that hard to keep one lightning cable on the desk and plug it in once a month to charge up. Of course it will be good when they do upgrade them and it is curious why it hasn’t happened yet, but nothing to get worked up about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lioness~ and seek3r

Portavoz

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2022
I agree. I’ve seen posts about how custom Apple has been about not upgrading these peripherals to USB. I don’t think it is that big a deal for these devices. It matters a lot for mobile devices where you are traveling and want to limit the number of cables and devices you are carrying. It matters a lot less for stationary peripherals like this. It’s not that hard to keep one lightning cable on the desk and plug it in once a month to charge up. Of course it will be good when they do upgrade them and it is curious why it hasn’t happened yet, but nothing to get worked up about.
My Magic Mouse and Keyboard are not stationary at my desk - they travel with me every week in my laptop bag and once they go USB-C I will finally be free of lightning and lightning cables.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
My Magic Mouse and Keyboard are not stationary at my desk - they travel with me every week in my laptop bag and once they go USB-C I will finally be free of lightning and lightning cables.
Sure, you can opt to bring those peripherals when you travel, but do you need a charger in that situaction? If you plug them in before your trip you should have plenty of charge for a long time. In any case, it isn’t hard to add a cable for them if you are packing that much equipment.

I agree, it will be nice to be fully done with lightning. We will be going to Brazil soon and my spouse is bringing an older iPad that uses lightning and I need to account for that in what we pack. Also need to be prepared for both USB-C and USB-A in cars we rent. That is another transition I want to get past.

mrnoark

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2014
Malaysia
Spring is here, where are they? Hope they release them sooner. My 5+ y/o mouse is half-dead, Left-click still works most of the time but Right-click is almost dead. Now I am one of the one-button mouse fellows. 😅

Reactions: dcny

dcny

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2020
Spring is here, where are they? Hope they release them sooner. My 5+ y/o mouse is half-dead, Left-click still works most of the time but Right-click is almost dead. Now I am one of the one-button mouse fellows. 😅
Exactly the same here. I refuse to buy another Magic Mouse that's using lighting cable and useless while charging. (Still using the old battery version) now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.