Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you prefer?

• Used iPhone

Votes: 48 77.4%
  • Cheap Android

Votes: 14 22.6%

• Total voters

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
Used iPhone 7 is selling dirt cheap now, even iPhone 8 is selling around 200CAD.

So for 300ish collards, I picked up 128GB iPhone 7 and 64GB iPhone 8.

Same price, will get brand new Moto G Power (Price in Canada).

This made me wonder, why would any one pick up new Android phone, when iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 are selling at cheap and it is best way to get iOS experience.

It is true that Moto G power has high resolution display, that’s all about it. The CPU is no where near Apple’s A11, iOS 14 is still running beautifully on both iPhone 7 and iPhone 8.

I have both Moto G Power and iPhone 7. I feel even 5 years old iPhone 7 is faster than brand new Moto G Power.

So, for bargain hunters, what do you prefer? Used iPhone or brand new entry level Android?

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I have both Moto G Power and iPhone 7. I feel even 5 years old iPhone 7 is faster than brand new Moto G Power.
Nailed it, can’t beat the smoothness that you get on iOS devices, older iOS devices run as good as the most recent flagship iPhones thanks to their A series chips, seen a few moto g reviews, same old lag that you always get on low/mid range android phones.

No brainer really iPhone 7-8 all day, no contest.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Same holds true with a used Android. You can get a used two year old Flagship Android for the price of a new budget unit. But the performance and just about everything in the used Flagship phone is way better.

Of course the nice thing about a used iPhone. Outside of iOS. You can quickly and easily get the battery health. I don't know why Android can't get this data from the battery. You just have to use apps which guess the health after enough usage data to provide an estimate.

Reactions: bousozoku

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Well that's why they're cheap. It's the Flagships that are made to last.

Occasionally I buy cheap Android phones from a reseller I'm friends with. The last cheap Android I bought for $100 out of curiosity, was the Blu G90 phone (retail $200). It's a damn good phone for the money but the earpiece volume completely sucks in calls. I'm always using wireless buds or speaker phone, so that didn't bother me much. Battery life last almost two days of heavy usage. A few stutters here and there, but nothing major and no crashes. The camera is also surprisingly good for such a cheap phone.

Android is not the same lag ridden OS anymore, and cheap phones are capitalizing on that, cause it's not hard nowadays to have a good experience on a cheap Android phone, as long as the hardware is decent.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Used iPhone 7 is selling dirt cheap now, even iPhone 8 is selling around 200CAD.

So for 300ish collards, I picked up 128GB iPhone 7 and 64GB iPhone 8.

Same price, will get brand new Moto G Power (Price in Canada).

This made me wonder, why would any one pick up new Android phone, when iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 are selling at cheap and it is best way to get iOS experience.

It is true that Moto G power has high resolution display, that’s all about it. The CPU is no where near Apple’s A11, iOS 14 is still running beautifully on both iPhone 7 and iPhone 8.

So, for bargain hunters, what do you prefer? Used iPhone or brand new entry level Android?
Performance wise, the iPhone will win everytime since all iPhones were flagships when they were released. So an old A9 or A10 will still mop the floor with whatever Snapdragon 4xx or 6xx Android has on the lower end. The only advantage of newer Android phones is their updated looks and battery.

And that brings the downside of the used iPhone, the battery. If you can get it replaced, then you're fine. Another downside is, there are so many fake iPhone parts that when you are trying to buy a used iPhone, you don't know if you're getting an actually used but intact iPhone, of an iPhone that have been frankesteined using random fake parts inside.

The thing is, depending on your budget, even a $200 new Android phone is so well featured today that it might be a better choice than a used old iPhone. Eg. my Poco X3 NFC. It's about $250 new with 128GB storage, SD732, 5000mAh battery, 120Hz LCD. Compared to my iPhone 7+, the Poco takes better looking photos and battery last longer. The camera has more features than my iPhone 7+. Not saying anything bad about the iPhone, but depends on what people are looking for.

thesim

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2014
I voted cheap android. I've been down this path a few times and whenever i've picked up a used or refurb older iphone it's the battery that causes the frustrations never the performance. In my use case then a long lasting battery to watch youtube or web browse and never worry about the next charge outweighs the need for the faster apple chip. This is also the case when I have considered older android flagships, the battery will be an issue.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Same holds true with a used Android. You can get a used two year old Flagship Android for the price of a new budget unit. But the performance and just about everything in the used Flagship phone is way better.

Of course the nice thing about a used iPhone. Outside of iOS. You can quickly and easily get the battery health. I don't know why Android can't get this data from the battery. You just have to use apps which guess the health after enough usage data to provide an estimate.
Good point about battery. I'm not sure why Android OEMs/Google has not adopted this built-in health check like iOS.

Another problem with used older flagship Android, is that it is likely they will be left behind in OS and security updates compared to even a cheap but current devices. Eg. the iPhone 7 was from 2016, but still gets the latest iOS14. So even if you buy it today, you're still up to date on the OS side. In contrast, let's say Google Pixel 2, which was released in 2017, is already dropped from update support.

Even going for 2 year-old Android flagships might only net you just a year more of updates at best. While a 2-year old iPhone, eg. iPhone XR, will still be updated for 3 more years.

That is if software updates is a priority, of course. :)

Reactions: LFC2020

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Reasons why used iPhone 7 and 8 are bad choices:

- hygiene, some see used phones like used toothbrush, underwear, etc. you don't know if it's taken a swim in the toilet
- battery wear degradation
- iPhone 7 has audio IC boot loop defect where flexing of the system board over time causes audio IC to separate
https://blog.puls.com/iphone-7-loop-disease
- iPhone 8 also has a system board defect recall
https://support.apple.com/iphone-8-logic-board-replacement-program
- deficient 2GB DRAM on both iPhone 7 and 8 that affects user experience and future proofing

Last edited:
  • Haha

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
- deficient 2GB DRAM on both iPhone 7 and 8 that affects user experience and future proofing
?

Since they're both getting iOS 15, don't see any issues with future proofing, the iPhone 8 will get iOS 16 the following year. ?‍♂️

When it comes to iPhone you don't have to worry about future proofing, 6 years software updates not enough for you? they don't need 16 gig ram like android phones.

Reactions: erniefairchild1

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
I would get a samsung A52 over any older used iphone from 11 back. You get a better screen, better battery life, IP rating, expandable storage, better cameras and more.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It depends on your OS preference. An older iPhone is a good buy though. I bought an OG SE last year for £60 as a back up iPhone. It still works very well. If you prefer android then a cheap android phone might be a better pick. However I wonder how well a budget android phone would perform.

automatictruffle

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2020
My summary:
If you're buying a cheaper pre-owned iPhone or budget entry Android phone, chances are you are either
a) not super tech savvy and would actually be happy without tons of new OS upgrades as the core purpose/needs of your phone are met as is*, or
b) somewhat tech savvy and understand the limitations before hand and aim to upgrade in the future before the device becomes a paperweight.

*My Dad for example finally gets used to how a phone works and bam, new update changes settings, icons and other little things that we either gloss over or think is a wonderful new feature - to him, its a nightmare! He has had both iOS and Samsung devices, but he is actually better off now on a cheaper Android that won't be getting any new OS updates because how the phone works today, is how it'll aways work. There are some benefits to that.

I bought a used XS. Fantastic phone. Love it.
I also have a cheapo Android 10 based phone from Amazon.

Which is the better, faster phone? The iPhone. Hands down. Faster, better camera, the experience.

If I lost both of them and had to buy ONE new device, which of the two would I buy? The cheap Android.

It has its flaws, the camera is basic, the performance is 'meh', but its got expandable storage, the screen is 'fine', unlocked dual sim (and I travel a lot). It can do 99% of the things my iPhone can do, at least 80% as well (plucking numbers from thin air is fun) but costs less than half of what my USED iPhone cost. In many ways it can do more since it isn't locked into the App store (another argument I know, but if I wanna torrent, damnit, I can torrent!)

Summary:
If I can have both, I'll have both and primarily use the iPhone as it is the better phone.
If I can only have one, I'll take the Android and take my chances with the lack of updates, heck its so cheap I'll just get a new one every 12-18 months, I can buy a new budget Android phone every year for about 8 years and still not reach the price of a NEW iPhone. So each time I buy a new device, I get a new battery, new screen - 'removing' scratches, updated processor and OS.

Reactions: Breaking Good

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
This is classic misinformation for the layman or average user.

Yes it will be iOS15 but a severely trimmed version of it.

Many of the new features of iOS15 will not be supported due to being older (limiting) hardware etc.
It's very difficult to compare updates on android and iOS. It really is like Apple's and oranges.

Android has 3 layers of updates:
OS updates
Security updates
Google play services updates/core apps and services updates

They are all independent of each other. Even when a phone is no longer receiving OS updates it can still be receiving security and google play services updates, particularly the later for many years after a phone stops receiving OS updates. Also apps are supported by older OS versions on android. The majority of apps can still work with os 4.4 and later.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020

Many of the new features of iOS15 will not be supported due to being older (limiting) hardware etc.
No it isn’t, do previous android phones get all the latest android features, nope, some are lucky if they get software updates after they’ve been purchased.

A older iPhone runs better and last longer than any low end or second hand android device. ?‍♂️ When it comes to software and longevity, android shouldn’t even be mentioned along side iOS.

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
No it isn’t, do previous android phones get all the latest android features, nope, some are lucky if they get software updates after they’ve been purchased.

A older iPhone runs better and last longer than any low end or second hand android device. When it comes to software and longevity, android shouldn’t even be mentioned along side iOS.
I never mentioned Android. Hmm.

It is nature of technology that everything gets superseded that's why older models lose support over time. iOS updates do the same to older models every passing year.

If Apple kept older iPhones on par with all the latest iOS features not many will upgrade to their latest and greatest. It's life.

My main point was getting iOS updates is good for long term security but you are not getting all the software benefits such as certain new features etc. Thus touting iOS updates as a major selling point needs to be expressed accordingly, more from security point of view rather than the latest features.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Really up to what you prefer, although I know a iPhone 8 Plus will be great for years to come, I think I would still cave for a Galaxy Note8 lol, absolutely loved that phone

But if we are talking about A12 iPhones and up then I’ll pick the used iPhone.

Phones have become so good these days that you literally have to look for a bad one.

If you do plan on using the phone as BYOD device at work then I would recommend the iPhones as they do get security updates longer even after the iOS updates stop.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
Well that's why they're cheap. It's the Flagships that are made to last.

Occasionally I buy cheap Android phones from a reseller I'm friends with. The last cheap Android I bought for $100 out of curiosity, was the Blu G90 phone (retail $200). It's a damn good phone for the money but the earpiece volume completely sucks in calls. I'm always using wireless buds or speaker phone, so that didn't bother me much. Battery life last almost two days of heavy usage. A few stutters here and there, but nothing major and no crashes. The camera is also surprisingly good for such a cheap phone.

Android is not the same lag ridden OS anymore, and cheap phones are capitalizing on that, cause it's not hard nowadays to have a good experience on a cheap Android phone, as long as the hardware is decent.

I do agree with you about Android.

However, I am more talking about extremely low budget. Like below 300 dollars.

If it is more like 300 dollars or above, suddenly new Android phone, like Pixel 4A (if you can get a deal) will make total sense.

But at least in Canadian market, I could not find any new Android phone under 300 dollars that offer better experience than used iPhone.

Reactions: ian87w

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Good point about battery. I'm not sure why Android OEMs/Google has not adopted this built-in health check like iOS.

Another problem with used older flagship Android, is that it is likely they will be left behind in OS and security updates compared to even a cheap but current devices. Eg. the iPhone 7 was from 2016, but still gets the latest iOS14. So even if you buy it today, you're still up to date on the OS side. In contrast, let's say Google Pixel 2, which was released in 2017, is already dropped from update support.

Even going for 2 year-old Android flagships might only net you just a year more of updates at best. While a 2-year old iPhone, eg. iPhone XR, will still be updated for 3 more years.

That is if software updates is a priority, of course. :)

That's definitely a problem with the used Android. Although I'd only keep it a year, two max. The used iPhone two to three years depending on how old it was when I bought it. Then resell either for the newer used models of each. So, their cost is $50 to $75 a year.

That's the nice thing with the used phones. The turnover is cheap too. As they have the greatest depreciation the first year or two. After that the trend doesn't change much until they drop below $100 and then that depreciation drops to a crawl.

Unless you plan to keep the phone a long time. It doesn't make sense to not replace used ones fairly regularly. As the annual cost doesn't change much.

maternidad

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2021

I believe "severely trimmed" is an exaggeration. iOS features unavailable in older devices are rare.

samotivad

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2021
Android phones are tied to Google, which is a company that will sell any data they can on you to advertisers. Do you really want a company like that following you around in your pocket? Sure Apple isn't perfect but they're a little bit better from a privacy perspective.

You can put custom ROMs on the Androids to get rid of Google and while that's interesting, with almost all the custom ROMs I tried the camera becomes bad quality and the GPS is extremely difficult to get working.

With all that in mind, I'd personally go for the old iPhone as long as I knew it was in good working order.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I believe "severely trimmed" is an exaggeration. iOS features unavailable in older devices are rare.

He's right. Older iPhones don't get the full feature set.

https://www.iphonehacks.com/2018/09/ios-12-features-not-available-older-iphones.html

https://www.world-today-news.com/these-ios-14-features-dont-work-on-older-iphones/

Compared to Android it's even worse since you don't have pen support, split window multitasking, can't place icons anywhere on home screen for accessibility, no DeX, etc.

Reactions: kkh786

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Really up to what you prefer, although I know a iPhone 8 Plus will be great for years to come, I think I would still cave for a Galaxy Note8 lol, absolutely loved that phone

But if we are talking about A12 iPhones and up then I’ll pick the used iPhone.

Phones have become so good these days that you literally have to look for a bad one.

If you do plan on using the phone as BYOD device at work then I would recommend the iPhones as they do get security updates longer even after the iOS updates stop.
Agree, have plenty of iPhone 7, 7 plus, 8, 8 plus, in the family, amazing how well they still run on the latest software.

Few family members who upgraded their 7, 7 plus because of damaged screens weren't even looking to upgrade because of how good their phones were still running.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Compared to Android it's even worse since you don't have pen support, split window multitasking, can't place icons anywhere on home screen for accessibility, no DeX, etc.
Because iPhone users really care about placing icons anywhere on the screen and DEX. ?‍♂️?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.