Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you prefer?

• Used iPhone

Votes: 48 77.4%
  • Cheap Android

Votes: 14 22.6%

• Total voters

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
"cheap" android phones are much better now.
Not really, still see many reviewers saying they get a lot of camera lag and UI lag on the low/mid range android phones.

We all know flagship android phones bog down after a short period of time and need to be restored often, can’t see the low/mid range phones being any better. ?‍♂️

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Proper load of **** being talked in here on yet another thread dedicated to bickering and talking nonsense because they need to prove to strangers their choice of Android or iOS.

It's sweet though that Apple have warriors so dedicated to their products that they immediately leap to their defense on forums. Not how I'd want to waste my life, but each to their own.

Reactions: jamezr and Klyster

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
He's right. Older iPhones don't get the full feature set.

https://www.iphonehacks.com/2018/09/ios-12-features-not-available-older-iphones.html

https://www.world-today-news.com/these-ios-14-features-dont-work-on-older-iphones/

Compared to Android it's even worse since you don't have pen support, split window multitasking, can't place icons anywhere on home screen for accessibility, no DeX, etc.
The iOS 14 list wasn't exactly horrifying: a smattering of AR things, a local dictation feature, a camera setting and Apple Car Key.

Big woop.

Why is this a problem?

Reactions: LFC2020

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
The iOS 14 list wasn't exactly horrifying: a smattering of AR things, a local dictation feature, a camera setting and Apple Car Key.

Big woop.

Why is this a problem?
He never has anything good to say about apple, wouldn’t waste your time.

Last edited:

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I would get a samsung A52 over any older used iphone from 11 back. You get a better screen, better battery life, IP rating, expandable storage, better cameras and more.
iPhones since the 7 have IP rating.

The A52 will be a very popular phone. But it's $350, and might be over the budget of some people looking at used phones. And I don't think the A52 will necessarily produce better photos compared to A12 and up iPhones (Apple really nailed the smart HDR part).

In short, it all depends on the intention and budget of the purchase.
For example, looking at swappa, an iPhone 8 can be had for less than $200. The A11 will mop the floor with any new Android devices in that price range, especially when many budget Android are still using slow eMMC storage type, while all iPhones since the 6s use nVME.

It is when you start going to the $300 and $400 range where brand new Android might make more sense as the mid-rangers of today are really good.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019
This made me wonder, why would any one pick up new Android phone, when iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 are selling at cheap and it is best way to get iOS experience.

Your comparison is unbalanced. When you compare phones it should be flagship v flagship. Why dont you compare your Moto G with Samsung s8+ or 9? S8 & s9 will win easily.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
My daughter still has a ip7 and works fine, a Samsung of the same age would be a paper weight lol.
Perhaps. My husband's note 8 still works well but that came out the year after. One of my work colleagues has an S7. I don't really know how well it works. She's the type to use it until it breaks. She told me it was second hand when she bought it It still seems to be functional. She takes calls, sends messages, takes pictures, goes on the net etc.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
If hell bent on apple, get an iPhone 8. I loved my 8. Much more than I love my 11. I do like androids interaction with windows, and customization more than I thought I would however. My next phone will be an android. The last android phone I owned was a first gen NOTE. I moved to windows phone then (best software and hardware experience I have ever used), then onto apple again.

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
I believe "severely trimmed" is an exaggeration. iOS features unavailable in older devices are rare.
The irony of claiming misinformation while spreading misinformation. Missing features are almost always due to hardware. Software limitations are very rare.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
iPhones since the 7 have IP rating.

The A52 will be a very popular phone. But it's $350, and might be over the budget of some people looking at used phones. And I don't think the A52 will necessarily produce better photos compared to A12 and up iPhones (Apple really nailed the smart HDR part).

In short, it all depends on the intention and budget of the purchase.
For example, looking at swappa, an iPhone 8 can be had for less than $200. The A11 will mop the floor with any new Android devices in that price range, especially when many budget Android are still using slow eMMC storage type, while all iPhones since the 6s use nVME.

It is when you start going to the $300 and $400 range where brand new Android might make more sense as the mid-rangers of today are really good.
Sorry but given a chance to get a newer device will most of the time be the better choice. You get the benefit of newer technology. Like faster on board storage and newer updated design. Better and newer display technology and better and faster cellular connectivity through 5G. Then a better camera as well.

Here is the iPhone 8 Plus and the Samsung A52.
I think the choice is a no brainer to me

Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 5.55.06 AM.png

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
This thread is hilarious.

I was being impartial with my comments about iOS and missing features as time goes on. This is from personal iPhone experience.

For example, the iPhone 7 launched with iOS10 and since then it had to give up certain features on subsequent iOS updates due to hardware limitation or Apple keeping things for the latest iPhone. The iPhone 7 isn't just missing features from iOS14 but from iOS11, iOS12 and iOS13.. it all adds up to my use of the word "severe".

Also note, having used a long line of recent Android (mostly Samsung) flagships, I have never needed to factory reset a handset due to performance issues.

Finally, just for the record I am not biased towards iOS nor Android. My choice of device is usually based on the feature set I want most at the time of purchase!

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
He never has anything good to say about apple, wouldn’t waste your time.
C'Mom man...you have no credibility here in the Alt Section. You have even been suspended for trolling these threads.

You should not be calling anyone else about that kind of thing. You should take a hard look in the mirror and your narrow POV.
Someone who has said he hates anything that is not Apple and IOS should not be calling anyone out for brand bias.

maternidad

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2021
He's right. Older iPhones don't get the full feature set.

https://www.iphonehacks.com/2018/09/ios-12-features-not-available-older-iphones.html

https://www.world-today-news.com/these-ios-14-features-dont-work-on-older-iphones/

Compared to Android it's even worse since you don't have pen support, split window multitasking, can't place icons anywhere on home screen for accessibility, no DeX, etc.
These seem to be very few, and minimal for me. Definitely not what I would expect to be understood by severely trimmed, but my expectations may be inaccurate.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
C'Mom man...you have no credibility here in the Alt Section. You have even been suspended for trolling these threads.

You should not be calling anyone else about that kind of thing. You should take a hard look in the mirror and your narrow POV.
Someone who has said he hates anything that is not Apple and IOS should not be calling anyone out for brand bias.
Just the Alt section? lol He's obviously going through a difficult time with the terrible battery life on his M1 Apple device, so consoles himself with rants about Android.

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
Perhaps. My husband's note 8 still works well but that came out the year after. One of my work colleagues has an S7. I don't really know how well it works. She's the type to use it until it breaks. She told me it was second hand when she bought it It still seems to be functional. She takes calls, sends messages, takes pictures, goes on the net etc.
Would be a bogged down laggy mess, but some people don't care. The iP7 is almost same as was new.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Do people really think Tim Cook is browsing this alt section to award his special little boys with some kind of badge for fighting the good fight against Android?

It's funny as **** how some just really can't stand that people are different and have different preferences.

I'll buy a phone, enjoy using it, move onto the next one, enjoy using that and so one. Who cares what other people like or what some random thinks.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Actually it will work just fine. Oh, and not be slowed down by samsung because of "battery wear".
If we were talking about Huawei eMUI, I would agree in terms of no slowdowns from my own personal experience. It stays smooth years after multiple upgrades. Can't really say the same for Samsung OneUI as even my A71 is already showing signs of hesitations here and there. Luckily the Android 11 seems to bring back some smoothness, but won't know how long that would last.

And wouldn't it be great to have a battery health indicator on Android as well? You cannot cheat chemistry of lithium ion battery, and since Apple is supporting iPhones longer, I can understand their intention to combat the battery wear. And the issue produced a net positive result as now one can check battery health on iPhones, and disable the throttling if desired. Android phones work great brand new, but when you are looking for used one, especially years old ones, you don't have an easy way to check battery health.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.