Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you prefer?

• Used iPhone

Votes: 48 77.4%
  • Cheap Android

Votes: 14 22.6%

• Total voters

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
If we were talking about Huawei eMUI, I would agree in terms of no slowdowns from my own personal experience. It stays smooth years after multiple upgrades. Can't really say the same for Samsung OneUI as even my A71 is already showing signs of hesitations here and there. Luckily the Android 11 seems to bring back some smoothness, but won't know how long that would last.

And wouldn't it be great to have a battery health indicator on Android as well? You cannot cheat chemistry of lithium ion battery, and since Apple is supporting iPhones longer, I can understand their intention to combat the battery wear. And the issue produced a net positive result as now one can check battery health on iPhones, and disable the throttling if desired. Android phones work great brand new, but when you are looking for used one, especially years old ones, you don't have an easy way to check battery health.
I agree on the battery health indicator, however, the fact remains that apple were slowing down phones without any knowledge to the owner. it was only after they got caught doing it did battery health and an override become a thing.
I have my OG note, and besides not being able to download some apps I want to use, it's still quick and snappy. No it's not as fast as my iPhone 11, but it's still quite usable everyday.

Reactions: jamezr

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
Do people really think Tim Cook is browsing this alt section to award his special little boys with some kind of badge for fighting the good fight against Android?

It's funny as **** how some just really can't stand that people are different and have different preferences.

I'll buy a phone, enjoy using it, move onto the next one, enjoy using that and so one. Who cares what other people like or what some random thinks.
He does silly, I got one the other day for saying the m1 is interesting in a PC forum.

aa9cf59ea985bdce540ffaafa80d9990.png

Reactions: jamezr

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I agree on the battery health indicator, however, the fact remains that apple were slowing down phones without any knowledge to the owner. it was only after they got caught doing it did battery health and an override become a thing.
I have my OG note, and besides not being able to download some apps I want to use, it's still quick and snappy. No it's not as fast as my iPhone 11, but it's still quite usable everyday.
I have a note 4. It’s still useable and fast enough. The main issue is that the battery doesn’t last long. It drains quickly especially in standby. It can still download most apps. I had the OG note. It was my first android flagship.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019
One of my work colleagues has an S7. I don't really know how well it works

Believe me or not calls sound lot better on my s7edge than Note 10+. S7 now days will work fine if you don't bloat it with ram hungry apps. For calls, messages and pics its one of the best phones for its range.

Reactions: Steve Adams

Gandek

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2017
If you have a S7 with a really worm battery it’s extremely slow. We have 2 in the house, one is a lot faster than the other because of the battery. Blows my mind how Samsung never got In trouble for throttling their phones down it’s wayyy more noticeable. I’d much rather use a older Samsung phone with a removable battery. I also have a LG G2 and it’s faster.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Picked up a Moto one ace 5g 6/128 from T-Mobile for $264 for a work phone. So far it’s pretty damn solid. It’s still on android 10, and Moto will only update it to 11. Hard sell for anyone who wants to keep a phone longer than 2 years, but for now I’m enjoying it.

Attachments

• 841A9E42-095E-49CA-8386-95C37A8FF9E2.png
    841A9E42-095E-49CA-8386-95C37A8FF9E2.png
    921.5 KB · Views: 76

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Not really, still see many reviewers saying they get a lot of camera lag and UI lag on the low/mid range android phones.

We all know flagship android phones bog down after a short period of time and need to be restored often, can’t see the low/mid range phones being any better. ?‍♂️
I didn't know that.

I recently got a small Android-based tablet and it's quite good, running Android 10, even though it is not very powerful for 2021. iPhone 8 is where I finally felt that iOS had enough power to be smooth.

Both platforms have a lot of good and bad.

Reactions: Steve Adams
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.