Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

External monitor VRR flickering on macOS - are you affected?

• No

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Yes (Apple Silicon - FreeSync)

Votes: 43 55.1%
  • Yes (Apple Silicon - GSync)

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • Yes (Intel / AMD - FreeSync)

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Yes (Intel / AMD - GSync)

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

CMMChris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Germany (Bavaria)
Update: Issues have still not been fixed in macOS 13 Ventura.

So macOS Monterey finally comes with support for external variable refresh rate monitors using FreeSync and GSync. I am using a FreeSync compatible Samsung monitor myself, which is working absolutely flawlessly in Windows machines and my Xbox One X with FreeSync enabled.

Unfortunately, this is not the case on macOS Monterey. If I enable FreeSync, the screen shows massive flickering with every movement on the screen (I attached a video where you can see it). Turning FreeSync off on the monitor itself or setting a fixed refresh rate in the macOS screen settings will eliminate the flicker. As soon as I turn variable refresh rate on again, flickering comes back.

This is seriously annoying and makes FreeSync absolutely unusable for me. I already double-checked everything to rule out an issue with my set-up. I switched cables, rebooted the Mac, re-installed the OS and tested the monitor again on a Windows PC and my Xbox - none of which show the flickering with FreeSync enabled.

Furthermore, I have opened a bug report with Apple already, but would like to collect some data points across the community. So if anyone here on MacRumors is using a FreeSync or GSync capable screen, please test it using Monterey and report if you have the flicker as well. It would be handy if you could also share the exact monitor model and Mac model you have.

Big thanks in advance to everyone participating, and don't forget to open a bug report yourself if you are affected. Feel free to quote my case number for reference: FB9722940

Last edited:

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I saw flickering on certain screens only - Log In, Log Out, and some random other times. I just gave up and turned off FreeSync.

Reactions: CMMChris

Kasco45

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2021
Same issue here but my monitor doesn't have an OSD menu to disable free sync so I am forced to go into display settings and change the refresh rate to 60hz and it fixes the issue. Unfortunately it seems on reboot or disconnecting and reconnecting the monitor is reset to variable refresh rate resulting in the flickering returning. Interestingly the flickering is inconsistent and sometimes doesn't seem to happen at all and other times it is easily noticeable.

CMMChris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Germany (Bavaria)
Interestingly the flickering is inconsistent and sometimes doesn't seem to happen at all and other times it is easily noticeable.
It is mostly triggered when movement occurs on screen. For example videos, animated banners and stuff like that.
Please make sure to give feedback to Apple.

CMMChris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Germany (Bavaria)
Giving this topic a little push for some much-needed attention. My bug report with Apple still indicates 0 similar reports. Please report to Apple in case you are affected. Feel free to quote my case number in your report to make it easier for Apple linking the feedbacks.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-31 um 18.27.05.jpg

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
Works perfectly on my FreeSync display in Monterey on my MacBook Air M1. I’m sorry for everyone experiencing the massive issues I’ve been reading about lately. :/

CMMChris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Germany (Bavaria)
Great to hear not all M1 Macs are affected by this. Gives a little hope. May I know what monitor you are using and how it is connected to your MacBook Air M1?

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
I had the same issue with my external monitor and my MBP (MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)).
Setting refresh rate from variable to 60Hertz resolved the issue.

CMMChris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Germany (Bavaria)
Well, I wouldn't called hat "resolved" since you simply disabled the feature by setting a fixed refresh rate. Please vote in the poll and I would appreciate if you can open a bug report with Apple as well.

dahveed311

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2021
2020 Intel MacBook Pro 13" with 2 Dell S2721Q screens through CalDigit TS3 Plus is affected by both (flickering, and resetting of refresh rate from 60Hz to Variable).

CMMChris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Germany (Bavaria)
Just to give everyone here an update. I am running macOS 12.1 Developer Beta 1 now and the issues with variable refresh rate flickering have not been fixed so far. I also have tried using a different FreeSync capable monitor borrowed from my neighbor and this one shows the same issues.

At the moment, my bug report has not received any attention from Apple and indicates no similar reports submitted by other users.

Looks like we need even more reports. So to anyone having this issue and stumbling upon this topic: Please report to Apple and also share your experience in here to get more attention drawn to this mess.

Reactions: dahveed311

dwebbx

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2021
I have the same issue with macOS Monterey installed M1 MacBook Pro and LG 34" Ultrawide. The monitor is connected through a CalDigit dock and FreeSync is open. Fixing the screen refresh rate at 75 Hz solves the issue but I don't want to do that each time the computer wakes up from sleep. I'm also trying to submit a report to Apple but somehow it fails to upload sysdiagnose. I'll try until upload succeeds.

Update: I've submitted the report.

Last edited:
  • Love

msfdc

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2021
I have a Mac mini 2020 upgraded to macOS Monterey on day 1 and only begin to have the similar symptoms today.
It is connected to a dell S2721QS monitor via the HDMI cable from dell. Dell advertises the monitor support FreeSync, but there is not such option in the OSD menu and the default fresh rate in System Preferences is 60Hz.

Not sure if it is the same issue. But the screen does show massive flickering and it seems like it's triggered when Safari rendering a webpage with some specific animated banners on the M1 Mac. I am saying that because in my scenario the bug is only trigger with this specific webpage with M1 Mac mini.

Then the symptom would gradually recovered after I close that specific webpage and quit Safari.

It seems like the issue somehow affect the monitor that even after I reboot or reset the monitor and connect it to an intel based MacBook Pro 13 2017 (also upgraded to Monterey), it still takes some time to recover from the flickering.

After the monitor came stable I tried to browse the same web page with safari on the Intel based Mac but couldn't reproduce the problem, which can be reproduced on the M1 Mac each time.

CMMChris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Germany (Bavaria)
Thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like you are affected by some different issue. Nonetheless, you should report to Apple that macOS is not recognizing your FreeSync capable monitor correctly.

CMMChris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Germany (Bavaria)
Just updated to macOS 12.1 Developer Beta 2 and the issue has not been fixed. Here is a fresh video right after installing the new release.

Keep on reporting!

CMMChris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Germany (Bavaria)
Just installed macOS 12.1 Developer Beta 3. External screen is totally broken now. Tried rebooting, reconnecting, different cables, FreeSync off, FreeSync on - always displays funny colors.

Edit: Nailed the issue down to custom ICC color profiles. In my case I use a calibrated profile from my Spyder 5 Elite. If I select a profile that is built-in to macOS, output is normal. As soon as I select my own ICC profile, output is broken. Created a new ICC profile with the Spyder but that did not fix it. Looks like the ICC system is broken in Beta 3.

Attachments

• 79BA718E-4478-4231-B52C-A1A7BAF899BB.jpeg
    79BA718E-4478-4231-B52C-A1A7BAF899BB.jpeg
    369.3 KB · Views: 449
  • D76081EF-64FA-49CC-9AA6-63DA42ADDB71.jpeg
    D76081EF-64FA-49CC-9AA6-63DA42ADDB71.jpeg
    401.2 KB · Views: 193
  • 075580ED-1D80-4A79-B6DF-4EA31D98E632.jpeg
    075580ED-1D80-4A79-B6DF-4EA31D98E632.jpeg
    424 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Reactions: MissMindeeMayhem

torontomax

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2021
Hi, I might have the same issue but I'm still trying to replicate the issue and will update here as well if I could. I've created a thread about it yesterday. there are few videos of the issue in it but until I'll post the end result videos here whenever I could replicate it again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.