Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

External monitor VRR flickering on macOS - are you affected?

• No

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Yes (Apple Silicon - FreeSync)

Votes: 43 55.1%
  • Yes (Apple Silicon - GSync)

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • Yes (Intel / AMD - FreeSync)

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Yes (Intel / AMD - GSync)

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

Fravin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I currently have the Mac Studio hooked up to a LG 32UD59-B. There the 60Hz works without flicker (same DP cable). With the LG UltraGear 27GL850-B it flickers at 60Hz.
This is very strange, but I experienced heck crazy flickers in the past. Since M1 I have been experienced issues with displays flicking like crazy. I had a M1 MM, M1 MBA, M2pro MBP and now, have a M3Pro MBP. All of them flicking with my display. I tried a lot of cables, adaptors and whatever, with no results. So I faced my display. It was an LG 4k display.

I ordered a Gigabyte 4k display for testing, planning to return it if the flicker would persist. And it has been running rock solid for 8 months (with the supplied USBC cable!!). No flickering at all. Variable refresh rate or not. It doesn't matter.

I bought a second one to use a dual display setup and booth are running with no flicker at all. My conclusion is that, somehow, LGs displays are prone to such a thing. It's my theory, nothing more. But I won't buy an LG display again.

CMMChris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Germany (Bavaria)
My conclusion is that, somehow, LGs displays are prone to such a thing.
Your conclusion is wrong. There are tons of LG screens that don't flicker on macOS, just as there are tons of screens from other brands that do flicker on macOS (one of my Samsung screens for example) or have some other weird issues when it comes to variable refresh rate (for example one of my HP screens which fails to establish correct timing when attempting to enable variable refresh rate).

What all those screens with issues have in common is that the issues only appear when using them with macOS. On other platforms, variable refresh rate works just fine. So clearly flawed implementation of VRR on Apple's side which apparently doesn't like some specifics on some screens. The most hilarious thing is that Apple does not even bother fixing it or even looking into the issue.

Reactions: WestonHarvey1

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Your conclusion is wrong. There are tons of LG screens that don't flicker on macOS, just as there are tons of screens from other brands that do flicker on macOS (one of my Samsung screens for example) or have some other weird issues when it comes to variable refresh rate (for example one of my HP screens which fails to establish correct timing when attempting to enable variable refresh rate).

What all those screens with issues have in common is that the issues only appear when using them with macOS. On other platforms, variable refresh rate works just fine. So clearly flawed implementation of VRR on Apple's side which apparently doesn't like some specifics on some screens. The most hilarious thing is that Apple does not even bother fixing it or even looking into the issue.
And honestly all my complaints would be resolved if it would just remember the setting to disable it. Don't even bother fixing the VRR implementation, I don't care. Literally just save my refresh rate option in System Preferences and I'll be happy. But they won't even do that.

Reactions: CMMChris
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.