Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you pre-ordering through Verizon?

• Yes

Votes: 136 78.2%
  • No

Votes: 38 21.8%

• Total voters

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
I just decided to upgrade my 12 Pro Max 256GB to a 13 Pro Max 256GB. I am going to pay off the remaining balance of the 12 Pro Max and just trade it in. On the Apple site, Apple and VZW offered me $790 and I understand it is setup as monthly payments over 24 months, though Apple stated it was an instant credit. Does this mean I get the credit instantly, and I don't need to do it over 24 months to get it?
Thanks

Last edited:

Scarphac3

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2013
Just got a tracking number for a 128 gb 13 pro scheduled to arrive on the 12th. The original estimate was October 22nd.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
GoDaddy has never had the most organized or understandable tools. They probably buy some of them from the same company as Verizon.

I honestly don't think I've ever seen that happen before. At least FedEx was able to correct the situation quickly once they were made aware of the problem.

Nice. I didn't think it would take them too long to get things worked out.

So, is the iPhone 13 mini worth it? Ha!

hahahahaha I'm on the fence lol

But really, I love the new phone. Battery life is amazing compared to the 2016 SE (I think I replaced the battery 3 times in that one)

And I'm happy to say that damn iPad is now moving west away from me.

Next issue: turn off data on my original iPad, which I was supposed to do as soon as I got the new one up and running, except I expended so much time on the hardware and account issues that I didn't, and my monthly $20 charge went through the other day. Thanks Verizon! (I should send them a bill)

Jonny Robinson

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
hahahahaha I'm on the fence lol

But really, I love the new phone. Battery life is amazing compared to the 2016 SE (I think I replaced the battery 3 times in that one)

And I'm happy to say that damn iPad is now moving west away from me.

Next issue: turn off data on my original iPad, which I was supposed to do as soon as I got the new one up and running, except I expended so much time on the hardware and account issues that I didn't, and my monthly $20 charge went through the other day. Thanks Verizon! (I should send them a bill)
Okay.

Great. The battery life is quite an improvement for me too... I can easily go over an entire day, maybe two, without needing to recharge it.

Yes!

Hmm. Did you get a new line with the new iPad and not "upgrade" the same line? You might even be able to get a $20 credit (refund) for the inconvenience... if you want to spend more time on the phone with them.

I've heard a lot of people had issues ordering the new Apple Watch via Verizon because even when upgrading the website checkout process kept insisting a new plan was required even after selecting the recommended one. The only way around it without calling the sales department was to set it up with a new line from the beginning.

kakalovevivi

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2021
Verizon
I order 13 PRO MAX, Blue, 256GB on 9/19. The shipment date keep delay from 10/1 to 10/8 now 10/11 and automatic change from day to day.
Do you guys have the same problem?
No sure when I can get the phone,
Any one get same model same color and same gb after my order date?

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
So - to repeat a bunch - we ordered 2 phones the same time. My wife's arrived Friday a 13 Pro Max, no signature required on UPS. Mine was supposed to arrive today - 13 Pro. Signature required. I live in an apartment building so not sure how they would but no attempt to contact us to get signature. So status and note that they couldn't deliver due to signature requirement and will try tomorrow. Place on note to do signature. I wish this was some sort of option before. Hopefully, will all work tomorrow. This is an UPS issue not Verizon but . Just frustrating

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Okay.

Great. The battery life is quite an improvement for me too... I can easily go over an entire day, maybe two, without needing to recharge it.

Yes!

Hmm. Did you get a new line with the new iPad and not "upgrade" the same line? You might even be able to get a $20 credit (refund) for the inconvenience... if you want to spend more time on the phone with them.

I've heard a lot of people had issues ordering the new Apple Watch via Verizon because even when upgrading the website checkout process kept insisting a new plan was required even after selecting the recommended one. The only way around it without calling the sales department was to set it up with a new line from the beginning.

They told me their system was "new", less than a year old, still tons of problems...

I've gone over a day once. If I ride I use an app that tracks me, which takes some juice, but all in all I'm happy with battery life. With "normal" non-riding use I easily have 50% left by bedtime.

I got a new line with the iPad, didn't even know upgrading it was an option. The old iPad is on an old pay-as-you go plan. I used to turn it on only when I was housesitting or away from work but it's been on for awhile now. If I turn it off I'll never be able to turn it on again because the plan is long gone and not even attached to my regular account (took 3 guys at the store to figure that out). Not a big deal now since I have the new iPad but I don't need both plans anymore.

The mystery iPad hit Fort Worth this morning, not sure if that's Apple or Verizon but it's been delivered.

The whole 5G thing is annoying as hell. We have towers in the area yet I sit here with one LTE bar. I really don't care about 5G but more than one bar of something would be nice.

We think we'll replace my SOs XR, wondering if going with Apple will still give the same deal without the $40 upgrade fee. It appears we have till tomorrow to do this.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Can anyone tell me if buying from Apple will eliminate the $40 upgrade fee from Verizon? (not the $35 activation fee, the $40 upgrade fee)

geneticfusion

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2010
Upgrading from the 512gb Pacific Blue 12 Pro Max to a 512gb Graphite 13 Pro Max. Ordered today. When I went to order, it first said that it was back ordered until December. However, when I had everything in my cart and went to pay, it said October 22. Only a week, not horrible.

Debated so hard between Graphite and Sierra Blue, but ultimately went with Graphite. Blue is my favorite color…but a dark blue. The sky/baby blue variations are meh to me.

MatrimCauthon

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2020
I ordered my 1tb sierra blue pro max at my local corporate store on 9-25, and I finally received it this Monday the 11th.

Jonny Robinson

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
They told me their system was "new", less than a year old, still tons of problems...

I've gone over a day once. If I ride I use an app that tracks me, which takes some juice, but all in all I'm happy with battery life. With "normal" non-riding use I easily have 50% left by bedtime.

I got a new line with the iPad, didn't even know upgrading it was an option. The old iPad is on an old pay-as-you go plan. I used to turn it on only when I was housesitting or away from work but it's been on for awhile now. If I turn it off I'll never be able to turn it on again because the plan is long gone and not even attached to my regular account (took 3 guys at the store to figure that out). Not a big deal now since I have the new iPad but I don't need both plans anymore.

The mystery iPad hit Fort Worth this morning, not sure if that's Apple or Verizon but it's been delivered.

The whole 5G thing is annoying as hell. We have towers in the area yet I sit here with one LTE bar. I really don't care about 5G but more than one bar of something would be nice.

We think we'll replace my SOs XR, wondering if going with Apple will still give the same deal without the $40 upgrade fee. It appears we have till tomorrow to do this.
Can anyone tell me if buying from Apple will eliminate the $40 upgrade fee from Verizon? (not the $35 activation fee, the $40 upgrade fee)
Great.

Ah, okay. That explains it.

You (didn't) purchase the iPad from Verizon, it will be returned to them. Verizon's "Return Center" is located in Fort Worth, TX.

Agreed. 5G will eat a lot of battery, which is far more noticeable on the mini. One bar of 4G LTE? No fun!

When I am on the road, I always travel with a Verizon LTE Network Extender to ensure service. They are great. I own the newest model... but travel with the previous model because the new model made by Askey does not allow you to limit who has access to the Network Extender yet, even though it's shown in the manual but the previous model made by Samsung does.

Nice. Would they get an iPhone mini too?

The $35 fee is listed on my iPhone 12 Pro Max receipt (I don't have a receipt this year) as an upgrade fee. I do not have an additional $40 fee. As far as I know, the only way to avoid that fee, unless waived by Verizon, is to buy the iPhone unlocked from Apple and to use your current physical SIM with it.

Last edited:

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Great.

Ah, okay. That explains it.

You (didn't) purchase the iPad from Verizon, it will be returned to them. Verizon's "Return Center" is located in Fort Worth, TX.

Agreed. 5G will eat a lot of battery, which is far more noticeable on the mini. One bar of 4G LTE? No fun!

When I am on the road, I always travel with a Verizon LTE Network Extender to ensure service. They are great. I own the newest model... but travel with the previous model because the new model made by Askey does not allow you to limit who has access to the Network Extender yet, even though it's shown in the manual but the previous model made by Samsung does.

Nice. Would they get an iPhone mini too?

The $35 fee is listed on my iPhone 12 Pro Max receipt (I don't have a receipt this year) as an upgrade fee. I do not have an additional $40 fee. As far as I know, the only way to avoid that fee, unless waived by Verizon, is to buy the iPhone unlocked from Apple and to use your current physical SIM with it.

I actually found some 5g in the kitchen. It's not a big house. We've had issues here since a storm Aug 2020, we can drive up and down the main road and just see the bars come in and out. I think a tower went offline but no one admits to it.

Interesting device! Will have to keep that in the back of my head somewhere.

He has an XR and likes the screen size, so I'm thinking a regular 13, unless he likes the larger one. I'm still shocked he went from a flip phone to the XR lol

My $35 fees are listed as upgrade fees. But there are $40 fees buried in the initial "tax payment". There is a Wireless Zone nearby that charges $35, and they said some places charge up to $60. I just didn't know if Apple was one of them. This is only my third iPhone and I don't remember all these fees before, although they did whack me $40 when I went in to talk to them about changing plans in the spring (which they removed when I asked). I thought it was kind of rude, we went to a more expensive plan and oh hey let's hit you for $40 more.

Jonny Robinson

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
I actually found some 5g in the kitchen. It's not a big house. We've had issues here since a storm Aug 2020, we can drive up and down the main road and just see the bars come in and out. I think a tower went offline but no one admits to it.

Interesting device! Will have to keep that in the back of my head somewhere.

He has an XR and likes the screen size, so I'm thinking a regular 13, unless he likes the larger one. I'm still shocked he went from a flip phone to the XR lol

My $35 fees are listed as upgrade fees. But there are $40 fees buried in the initial "tax payment". There is a Wireless Zone nearby that charges $35, and they said some places charge up to $60. I just didn't know if Apple was one of them. This is only my third iPhone and I don't remember all these fees before, although they did whack me $40 when I went in to talk to them about changing plans in the spring (which they removed when I asked). I thought it was kind of rude, we went to a more expensive plan and oh hey let's hit you for $40 more.
5G in the kitchen? Nice.

Yeah, when it comes to coverage etc. they aren't always accurate or truthful.

Well, at least he didn't make the mistake of getting an Android. In all seriousness, which ever model he chooses it's a great iPhone and an even better phone.

$40 buried in the tax payment? That explains why I haven't paid an "upgrade fee" in 10 years! That said Verizon charges more when you go in-store or pay over the phone.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
5G in the kitchen? Nice.

Yeah, when it comes to coverage etc. they aren't always accurate or truthful.

Well, at least he didn't make the mistake of getting an Android. In all seriousness, which ever model he chooses it's a great iPhone and an even better phone.

$40 buried in the tax payment? That explains why I haven't paid an "upgrade fee" in 10 years! That said Verizon charges more when you go in-store or pay over the phone.

Yes, so when I originally did my pre-order I had to pay the tax up front (which never went through). Then when I actually bought the iPad/Mini, plus a screen protector, that up-front payment was a bit higher due to the screen protector. I sat down and figured it out one day and just couldn't get it to add up until I remembered that stupid $40 fee. In one of my many conversations with them, I asked and they confirmed it was in that initial payment. The activation fee ($35) hits when you activate the device (I really should do the iPad this week)

Verizon Zone said they all do it, but I'm not sure about Apple. I can step through buying the phone on Apple and the fee doesn't seem to be there ($0 with trade in), but there is some fine print saying there is a $30 Verizon instant discount which requires activation.

It's not a very transparent process. IMO

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
So tell me this is going to work out ok.

Walk into Verizon, and the guy had me place the order through the app on my phone. We selected "upgrade line" to the correct line, but he insisted we do not select trade in. He says we'll get the trade in when the 13 comes in and we turn in the XR. (trade in promo supposedly ends today per email from Verizon)

It took 5 minutes. It cannot be this easy.

Jonny Robinson

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Yes, so when I originally did my pre-order I had to pay the tax up front (which never went through). Then when I actually bought the iPad/Mini, plus a screen protector, that up-front payment was a bit higher due to the screen protector. I sat down and figured it out one day and just couldn't get it to add up until I remembered that stupid $40 fee. In one of my many conversations with them, I asked and they confirmed it was in that initial payment. The activation fee ($35) hits when you activate the device (I really should do the iPad this week)

Verizon Zone said they all do it, but I'm not sure about Apple. I can step through buying the phone on Apple and the fee doesn't seem to be there ($0 with trade in), but there is some fine print saying there is a $30 Verizon instant discount which requires activation.

It's not a very transparent process. IMO
So tell me this is going to work out ok.

Walk into Verizon, and the guy had me place the order through the app on my phone. We selected "upgrade line" to the correct line, but he insisted we do not select trade in. He says we'll get the trade in when the 13 comes in and we turn in the XR. (trade in promo supposedly ends today per email from Verizon)

It took 5 minutes. It cannot be this easy.
It cannot.

• Haha
Reactions: diane143

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
It cannot.
Oh bloody hell.

I must've said half dozen times, are you sure? That doesn't sound right at all and is not how my order worked. So he asked the girl up front - the same one who - twice - sold me my phone and activated it. She agreed with him.

Mind blown.

Truth be told, I had 3 orders put in and who really knows how the last one worked?

I have the email with the offer on it. I have the printout from Apple's page showing a zero monthly payment using Verizon's special plan. I have proof the order went in today. If it gets fubard, I call. Again.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
This is my next estimated bill and the bill after that. I think both totals should be the same - $17. I must be tired because I can't figure out why one is $27 and one is $17.

Anyone have opinions between Verizons protection vs Applecare?

Also - and this will be fun to fix :rolleyes: - the iPad I actually purchased isn't showing a discount, what I'm getting charged works out to $452 over 2 years. But wait! The iPad that got returned to TX and that is showing in the order section as cancelled, is now on my BILL for ($14.57). The difference between the two is about what I was told initially. But it's spread over two iPads, one of which I don't own. ?‍♀️

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 9.26.45 PM.png

sahni130

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
This is my next estimated bill and the bill after that. I think both totals should be the same - $17. I must be tired because I can't figure out why one is $27 and one is $17.

Anyone have opinions between Verizons protection vs Applecare?

Also - and this will be fun to fix :rolleyes: - the iPad I actually purchased isn't showing a discount, what I'm getting charged works out to $452 over 2 years. But wait! The iPad that got returned to TX and that is showing in the order section as cancelled, is now on my BILL for ($14.57). The difference between the two is about what I was told initially. But it's spread over two iPads, one of which I don't own. ?‍♀️

View attachment 1865337
Definitely AppleCare. I've had nothing but positive experiences with it over the years. Just month ago I broke my 12 pro. max and they shipped me a new (refurb) phone before I had to send mine back. Quick and easy. They do place a hold on your card until they receive your old one but the fact that you can do this though an app, chat, phone, or store AND not have to run the risk of 3rd party parts, makes it worth it. The less you have to deal with carriers, the better.

Last edited:

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Definitely AppleCare. I've had nothing but positive experiences with it over the years. Just month ago I broke my 12 pro. max and they shipped me a new (refurb) phone before I had to send mine back. Quick and easy. They do place a hold on your card until they receive your old one but the fact that you can do this though an app, chat, phone, or store makes it worth it. The less you have to deal with carriers, the better.
I *think* Verizon's plan covers a theft or loss and that's their selling point. I typically do AC but we did the Verizon plan for my SO since he was going from a flip phone to an XR. And I did one month when I bought my Mini.

Both the iPhone and iPad are telling me I have 42 days left to sign up. I used to do it around the one year time, guess they dropped that down to 2 months?

<edit> I just clicked on it... looks like AC plus covers theft/loss too if one was really concerned about that, for less than Verizon's plan

Reactions: sahni130

Milellie111

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2014
I *think* Verizon's plan covers a theft or loss and that's their selling point. I typically do AC but we did the Verizon plan for my SO since he was going from a flip phone to an XR. And I did one month when I bought my Mini.

Both the iPhone and iPad are telling me I have 42 days left to sign up. I used to do it around the one year time, guess they dropped that down to 2 months?

<edit> I just clicked on it... looks like AC plus covers theft/loss too if one was really concerned about that, for less than Verizon's plan

There is now Applecare + with Theft and Loss option. $269 or monthly is $13.49. Verizon’s Total Mobile Protect is $17 monthly through Assurion. I went with AppleCare + Theft and Loss

Reactions: sahni130

Jmik4

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2019
Has anyone else had a glitch accepting terms and conditions when placing their order? I already paid my tax and accepted them when placing my order but Even still my order details say please accept terms and conditions your order is on hold until oct 19th you must do so but when I go to do it again it says terms and conditions are not required for this order ?‍♂️?‍♂️ If I can’t accept them but it says it’s on hold and must be done by October 19th what gives?

• Angry

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Has anyone else had a glitch accepting terms and conditions when placing their order? I already paid my tax and accepted them when placing my order but Even still my order details say please accept terms and conditions your order is on hold until oct 19th you must do so but when I go to do it again it says terms and conditions are not required for this order ?‍♂️?‍♂️ If I can’t accept them but it says it’s on hold and must be done by October 19th what gives?
I am SOOOO sorry for laughing but that is exactly what started my nightmare! I had this happen twice, once on my preorder and once on an iPad I never ordered.

Multiple people told me to ignore the T&C warning on the iPad I didn't want. The deadline was Oct 1. They shipped it, unpaid and unsigned, on Oct 4. I refused delivery, it went back to the hub then fedex sent it back to my town waiting for me to pick it up. It finally got back to where it came from Tuesday.

I have no idea what the right answer is, I'm so sorry you've been burned by Verizon!

Scarphac3

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2013
I had something similar. It said I have to agree to terms and conditions. Eventually later that day it let me accept the terms but the message was still popping up. I contacted support and they told me everything was good to go even though the message was there. The next day the message went away.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
So now we've got the exact opposite issue with my SO's phone. Ordered Wednesday, was supposed to ship next Friday.

It actually shipped today. Which is great, except I doubt anyone will be here.

It's being shipped with UPS. Do we have options to re-direct or should we wait and see if they leave a call tag? It says it "may" require a signature but I've read some people have gotten them unsigned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.