Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghoti

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
There is some talk about exploiting the loophole with Verizon to keep unlimited data plans. I have the two scenarios I am considering outlined below. My wife and I have both had the iPhone 4 for 3 years and are still on the unlimited data Family Share plan. We want to use the transfer loophole with Verizon to keep our unlimited data. We will NOT be able to pay for unsubsidized phones, so that is out of the question. I have been unable to find information on whether both scenarios below work -- for some reason it seems most people do scenario #1 but I don't know if there is a reason for that or if #2 would work also. See below for descriptions:

Scenario #1)
Activate 2 new dummy lines with dumb flip-phones --> use upgrades on dummy lines to get new iphones --> re-activate dumb flip-phones on dummy lines & cancel data plans on those lines --> activate new iPhones onto the unlimited lines --> do the happy dance

Scenario #2)
Activate 2 new dummy lines with new iPhones --> downgrade dummy lines with dumb flip-phones & cancel data plans on those lines --> activate new iPhones onto the unlimited lines --> do the happy dance

Do both scenarios above work for the loophole or just #1?

I do realize I will have to pay $20/mo more + tax after doing this, of course, because I would then have 2 active dumb-phone numbers on my account -- but that's worth it to me to keep unlimited data. As an added bonus, I would always get to use these dummy lines every 2 years to upgrade my iPhones & doing the swap without losing my unlimited data, I believe. (Provided Verizon doesn't yank it out from underneath us all by then)

Last edited:

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I thought you guys w Verizon could buy the phone full price and keep your unlimited.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
I thought you guys w Verizon could buy the phone full price and keep your unlimited.

They can. It's just him trying to save a buck and bringing on the extra stress of trying to "side step" the system. I to have Verizon and will just pay full price for the iPhone 5s. At least I know I won't lose my unlimited data. Knowing these carriers they are looking for any excuse to drop you from unlimited data. I'll just play by their rules and pay for full price for the phone. Not worth the risk IMO.

ghoti

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
They can. It's just him trying to save a buck and bringing on the extra stress of trying to "side step" the system. I to have Verizon and will just pay full price for the iPhone 5s. At least I know I won't lose my unlimited data. Knowing these carriers they are looking for any excuse to drop you from unlimited data. I'll just play by their rules and pay for full price for the phone. Not worth the risk IMO.

I don't have $1500 to spend up-front on two phones. Simple as that. It's try the side-step or lose unlimited. Sorry I don't have as much money as you.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
I don't have $1500 to spend up-front on two phones. Simple as that. It's try the side-step or lose unlimited. Sorry I don't have as much money as you.

Not claiming to. Just selling my old iPhone 5 to purchase the new one. After the sale of the iPhone 5 it's like nearly the upgrade price.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
Here is a break down of the cost. I'd rather pay a bit more (it appears to be under $50) and do a little work to not be in another contract and run the risk of losing the unlimited data.

Full Retail Cost
850 - iPhone 5s 64gb
65 – Taxes
3 – Environmental Fee
918 – Total Phone Cost
400 – Average trade in value at Gazelle, Nextworth, etc.
518 – Final Cost after sale of iPhone 5

Upgrade Cost via Second Line (Subsidized)

400 – iPhone 5s 64gb Subsidized
65 – Taxes
3 – Environmental Fee
30 – Verizon Upgrade Fee
498 – Total Phone Cost
288 – Secondary Line cost for 2 years ($12 mo. @ 24 mo.)

ghoti

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Not claiming to. Just selling my old iPhone 5 to purchase the new one. After the sale of the iPhone 5 it's like nearly the upgrade price.

I hear you on that, but the 4 really doesn't have much of a resale value. Not *terrible* but not great.

bhags8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
I have unlimited on verizon too and am going to pay full retail. But I do have a question since you say they will find anyway to make you switch. I recently subscribed to nfl mobile for $5 a month that gets added to your monthly bill, will that affect my unlimited?

ghoti

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
I have unlimited on verizon too and am going to pay full retail. But I do have a question since you say they will find anyway to make you switch. I recently subscribed to nfl mobile for $5 a month that gets added to your monthly bill, will that affect my unlimited?

That would be a good question for a new thread.

bhags8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
That would be a good question for a new thread.

Your joking right? Have you seen how many duplicate thread topics there are out there? No thx. I think one person is all it will take to answer my question. In fact there was really no need for you to make this thread considering there's already a few posted before yours.

ghoti

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Your joking right? Have you seen how many duplicate thread topics there are out there? No thx. I think one person is all it will take to answer my question. In fact there was really no need for you to make this thread considering there's already a few posted before yours.

Wrong. Everyone talks about scenario #1 and I can't find much if anything about scenario #2 and I'm trying to find out if there is a reason for that.

Also, why hijack a thread with a random question that *maybe* someone will see and answer when you could just ask it in a new thread where it would be much more likely to be seen? I was just trying to be nice by suggesting it would be more functional as a new thread.

----------

... not to mention, yours is a question that can be answered by a quick call to customer service.

bhags8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Wrong. Everyone talks about scenario #1 and I can't find much if anything about scenario #2 and I'm trying to find out if there is a reason for that.

Also, why hijack a thread with a random question that *maybe* someone will see and answer when you could just ask it in a new thread where it would be much more likely to be seen? I was just trying to be nice by suggesting it would be more functional as a new thread.

----------

... not to mention, yours is a question that can be answered by a quick call to customer service.

why bump your thread that no one needs to read anymore?

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
Sorry to "hijack" this thread but my question is in the similar realm..
I've been thinking about this..

My wife's mother has a upgrade eligibility on her account and she doesn't have unlimited data. If she purchases the iPhone 5S with the subsidized price and without activating the phone and gives the phone to me, can I activate that phone on my account? Or is that phone "tied" to her account?

What are the steps to do this if anyone knows?

TIA.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Thank you!

I went to a Verizon store today and asked the rep if I could transfer the upgrade on my unlimited line to a dummy line to keep unlimited. He said no they fixed that in January.

I'm hoping he was full of **** because he doesn't get commission when people do this.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
I went to a Verizon store today and asked the rep if I could transfer the upgrade on my unlimited line to a dummy line to keep unlimited. He said no they fixed that in January.

I'm hoping he was full of **** because he doesn't get commission when people do this.

Call verizon and see what they said. I chatted with them and asked if I could transfer my upgrade to a third line and they said the option would show up on the website under upgrades. (I'm not sure as I haven't bought a dummy phone to do is yet.)

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Call verizon and see what they said. I chatted with them and asked if I could transfer my upgrade to a third line and they said the option would show up on the website under upgrades. (I'm not sure as I haven't bought a dummy phone to do is yet.)

Just called Verizon and he confirmed that if you transfer an upgrade to a dummy line you will lose unlimited.

DizzyV6P

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Funny how Verizon CSR keeps telling people that they fixed the loophole or its not possible.

However, there are at least 5 other threads of people who have been doing this since January 2013. Run a search in this forum and you'll see it.

Is the loophole still there? Probably. But you can bet they are hiding that transfer upgrade feature in the menus. I just went online to look for it, but I don't see it. However, both my iPhone 4 line AND my dumb phone line are eligible for upgrades so I'm assuming the "Transfer upgrade" option won't show up until I use up the upgrade on the dumb phone.

If that's the case, using the instructions on the Reddit link, I should just upgrade the dumb phone line to the iPhone 5s, activate it, then transfer that phone to my iphone 4 line and then reactivating the dumb phone.

When my dumb phone needs to upgrade, then I can transfer the iPhone 4 upgrade to the dumb phone (since I used the dumb phone upgrade to get the iPhone 5s). I still get to keep my unlimited data ;)

Loqui1286

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2013
In the long run you end up spening a lot more money doing this "loophole" thing than just buying the two phones outright. If you can't afford to just drop $1600 just finance through Apple and pay it off over a year. It's a much cheaper option and you don't have $20/month for 2 years hanging on you.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Yea I just spoke to a Verizon rep online and he said it's still possible to do this loophole.

Annoying how inconsistent these reps are

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.