Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
I went to 3 different verizon stores and they all told me there is no way to keep my unlimited data regardless of what loophole I try. They have either been taught to give this canned response now or they have plugged it.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
I went to 3 different verizon stores and they all told me there is no way to keep my unlimited data regardless of what loophole I try. They have either been taught to give this canned response now or they have plugged it.

Try the online rep. I even tested it out to see what would happen online and didn't get any type of unlimited cancellation warning.

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
Can someone help me confirm the following will work? I'm probably reiterating what has already been said in this thread but I'm trying to get a full understanding before Friday.

My plan to keep Verizon unlimited data:
1. Purchase new Verizon iPhone, adding line to existing Nationwide Talk Plan
2. Take new iPhone, activate it on my current UNLIMITED plan
3. Request to remove data and everything on NEW plan, costing me $9.99 + tax for remainder of contract

So this is supposed to work? If so, do I have to have a dumb phone to remove the new iPhone off the new plan, or can they just leave the plan with no phone attached?

Thanks

DizzyV6P

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Can someone help me confirm the following will work? I'm probably reiterating what has already been said in this thread but I'm trying to get a full understanding before Friday.

My plan to keep Verizon unlimited data:
1. Purchase new Verizon iPhone, adding line to existing Nationwide Talk Plan
2. Take new iPhone, activate it on my current UNLIMITED plan
3. Request to remove data and everything on NEW plan, costing me $9.99 + tax for remainder of contract

So this is supposed to work? If so, do I have to have a dumb phone to remove the new iPhone off the new plan, or can they just leave the plan with no phone attached?

Thanks

You need a dumb phone to be activated on that NEW 2nd line if you are transferring the 5s to the unlimited line.

firefighterk

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2011
Hey everyone. Just left the Verizon store about this and they told me to call customer support.

After chatting for a while I think I figured this out

Line 1234 has a iphone 5 with unlimited data
Line 5678 has a old grandmas phone. (Eligible for upgrade)

I told them what I wanted to do and they said if I did a buddy swap the computer would change my unlimited data to a new tiered version. She told me if I wanted to do the "loophole". I would have to leave the 5s on the dummy line for a day or so and the following day I could switch the Esn's

evilrt

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
New Jersey USA
Listen... Get the 5s with grandmas number and activate it in the store with a 2 gig plan. Go home and either call verizon or go to the website and put the dumb phone back on the plan. The data plan will automatically fall off. There's no need to wait a day. As soon as the 5s has no service, reset that thing and pop in the nano sim from the 5 and you are golden. If they happen to ask why just tell them that she's unhappy with the phone and she's giving it to you. case closed. There's nothing they can do about it because her contract is extended by two years and she's paying for the subsidy of the phone. Sell that 5 and get some $$$ for new toys.

kyleh206

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
Listen... Get the 5s with grandmas number and activate it in the store with a 2 gig plan. Go home and either call verizon or go to the website and put the dumb phone back on the plan. The data plan will automatically fall off. There's no need to wait a day. As soon as the 5s has no service, reset that thing and pop in the nano sim from the 5 and you are golden. If they happen to ask why just tell them that she's unhappy with the phone and she's giving it to you. case closed. There's nothing they can do about it because her contract is extended by two years and she's paying for the subsidy of the phone. Sell that 5 and get some $$$ for new toys.

Is there any risk to signing up for the data plan in this situation? I don't want to get stuck paying an extra $30/mo. Also, will this work if I'm upgrading from a 4S?

firefighterk

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2011
I have a q. Cuz you brought up a good point and I almost forgot.

The nano sim

So I was actually giving my old iphone 5 to my sister (5432 iphone 4) So correct me if I'm wrong

When I go home I need to take my nano card out of my iphone 5 put it in the 5s put the old flip back on the grandma line and theodicy I need to go to verizon to get a new nano for the 5 to put on the 5432 line.

evilrt

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
New Jersey USA
Put the old phone back to grandma first. If you give the 5 to sis... The simplest way is for her to go to verizon and get a new nano sim for herself. Keep grandmas sim in a drawer. You never know if it might come in handy some day for who knows what.

----------

Is there any risk to signing up for the data plan in this situation? I don't want to get stuck paying an extra $30/mo. Also, will this work if I'm upgrading from a 4S?

You do not get stuck paying for a data plan if you put a dumb phone back onto the number. The 4S has a different size Sim card from the 5 and 5S. I'm not sure if it can be cut or not maybe someone else can chime in with that one.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
Also, will this work if I'm upgrading from a 4S?

There is a problem here. Two, actually. The 4S is a microSIM and the 5s is a nanoSIM. Even though the 5s will come with a nanoSIM, once it is activated on another line, the SIM is burned and will not be able to be used on your line. So you will need to buy, or talk them into giving you an additional nano to use when you replace your 4S with the 5s. This is where you could potentially run into issues. Good luck.

kyleh206

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
There is a problem here. Two, actually. The 4S is a microSIM and the 5s is a nanoSIM. Even though the 5s will come with a nanoSIM, once it is activated on another line, the SIM is burned and will not be able to be used on your line. So you will need to buy, or talk them into giving you an additional nano to use when you replace your 4S with the 5s. This is where you could potentially run into issues. Good luck.

I don't understand switching the SIM cards. Can I not upgrade a phone on one line and then just switch the phones/lines around on verizon's website? That's what I was originally planning to do but now it sounds like that isn't possible.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
I don't understand switching the SIM cards. Can I not upgrade a phone on one line and then just switch the phones/lines around on verizon's website? That's what I was originally planning to do but now it sounds like that isn't possible.

Back when Verizon only used ESNs or MEIDs then yes, that was simple and doable. Now, however, with LTE, Verizon uses SIM cards. If you activate a 5s on one line and then want to switch it to another line, you need a new SIM card for it. Once a SIM is activated on a number, it cannot be activated on a different number. So, it is theoretically possible to do what you want. But, you will have to activate it with the SIM that comes with the 5s on the alternate line. Then you will have to take your phone off your unlimited line and activate a nanoSIM on the unlimited line to put in the 5s. You then throw away the original SIM and put the new one in. But - this will require you to have a second nano on hand to make the switch.

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
This is how I did it when the iPhone 5 was released.

I have three lines with unlimited data, one is still on contract. I went into the store, asked for an iPhone 5, and started a new line. I put it on a separate data plan, the 2GB/$30 plan. I get home, and call the support line and switch the iPhone 5 with a dumb phone, and cancel the 2GB/$30 data plan. So, I'm at $20 per month for that phone. It shares my mins/txt/etc. NO data.

I thank the rep, and hang up. I took a minute to wait, and then I called back again. I switched the iPhone 4 with my new iPhone 5. It goes on the same line that I've been using, unlimited data. Done.

That's what I'll be doing tomorrow again.

kyleh206

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
This is how I did it when the iPhone 5 was released.

I have three lines with unlimited data, one is still on contract. I went into the store, asked for an iPhone 5, and started a new line. I put it on a separate data plan, the 2GB/$30 plan. I get home, and call the support line and switch the iPhone 5 with a dumb phone, and cancel the 2GB/$30 data plan. So, I'm at $20 per month for that phone. It shares my mins/txt/etc. NO data.

I thank the rep, and hang up. I took a minute to wait, and then I called back again. I switched the iPhone 4 with my new iPhone 5. It goes on the same line that I've been using, unlimited data. Done.

That's what I'll be doing tomorrow again.

You didn't have any problems switching even after that SIM card was tied to the new line?

kyleh206

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
Back when Verizon only used ESNs or MEIDs then yes, that was simple and doable. Now, however, with LTE, Verizon uses SIM cards. If you activate a 5s on one line and then want to switch it to another line, you need a new SIM card for it. Once a SIM is activated on a number, it cannot be activated on a different number. So, it is theoretically possible to do what you want. But, you will have to activate it with the SIM that comes with the 5s on the alternate line. Then you will have to take your phone off your unlimited line and activate a nanoSIM on the unlimited line to put in the 5s. You then throw away the original SIM and put the new one in. But - this will require you to have a second nano on hand to make the switch.

Thanks for your reply. I think I'm following you. Worst case scenario if they won't give me an extra NanoSIM I order one on amazon and have to wait a couple days?

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
Thanks for your reply. I think I'm following you. Worst case scenario if they won't give me an extra NanoSIM I order one on amazon and have to wait a couple days?

Yes but there is no reason they shouldn't give you one. If the corporate store won't, visit a dealer. They pay $3 per SIM and usually sell them for $15. If they didn't sell you the phone, they will at least whore themselves out to make $12. I know that sounds harsh - especially since the very people I have been throwing under the bus are my clients. But I can't help it. My conscience prevents me from sleeping some nights for what these carriers, corporate stores and dealers do to their customers.

firefighterk

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2011
iphone

so heres a thought... might try this what are your thoughts... last time when the 5 was realeased i did the hole loophole thing with my other grandmas phone and i had the 4s. after waiting in line and got into the apple store i was at they had verizon people in the store to make sure things went smoothly. i remember they had to scrap a nano card and put in a new one while i was in the store.

im thinking if i ask them to activate it on my dumb phone and after it activated give them my old iphone 5 and say can you put my iphone 5 sim card in the 5s and put the dumb phone back on my grandmas number i think i might be able to walk out of the store with a working 5s on my line.

any ideas thoughts

i wonder if i really have to keep the 5s on the dumb line for 24 hours. i dont understand how if i dont wait 24 hours it will make the computer think im buddy sharing it and get rid of my unlimited data

also on another note....the verizon rep on the phone said after i finish all of this call us back if there area any other problems as they have 14 days to fix or change any plans around.

firefighterk

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2011
Where did you hear this one from. And it seems others have gotten this to work

Verizon has caught onto this and the loop hole no longer works. When you try and do a hardware swap, it will immediately tell you to contact their 1800 service (if you are trying to do it online). Once you call, when they see you are trying to swap a line that was just added to an existing with unlimited, they will force you into their share everything plan or their 2GB plan.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
so heres a thought... might try this what are your thoughts... last time when the 5 was realeased i did the hole loophole thing with my other grandmas phone and i had the 4s. after waiting in line and got into the apple store i was at they had verizon people in the store to make sure things went smoothly. i remember they had to scrap a nano card and put in a new one while i was in the store.

im thinking if i ask them to activate it on my dumb phone and after it activated give them my old iphone 5 and say can you put my iphone 5 sim card in the 5s and put the dumb phone back on my grandmas number i think i might be able to walk out of the store with a working 5s on my line.

any ideas thoughts

i wonder if i really have to keep the 5s on the dumb line for 24 hours. i dont understand how if i dont wait 24 hours it will make the computer think im buddy sharing it and get rid of my unlimited data

also on another note....the verizon rep on the phone said after i finish all of this call us back if there area any other problems as they have 14 days to fix or change any plans around.

In most cases, the rep wants the activated line or SIM has to be on the account until verizon's systems reconcile for the day (usually overnight). This allows the rep to be paid the proper commission. Which is why they will often tell you that if you do this kind of switch, you need to leave the new phone on the upgraded line for 24 hours. It isn't really required, but if you switch while in the store, that rep isn't going to get paid the full commission.

Occasionally, you will have a rep that is honest with you and I know that I would do what I was able to in order to help them out. Sadly, often times, they will not share the truth and just tell you it is "policy" that the phone has to be on the activated account for 24 hours.

firefighterk

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2011
Ok maybe ill just ask the rep tomorrow. If they can't do it at apple I'll wait the day. And if u really think about all this. It's not really a loop hole. All ur doing is switching phones. People have been switching phone with SIM cards or esn for Verizon for years. How could they say no you can't do that if it's your phone

In most cases, the rep wants the activated line or SIM has to be on the account until verizon's systems reconcile for the day (usually overnight). This allows the rep to be paid the proper commission. Which is why they will often tell you that if you do this kind of switch, you need to leave the new phone on the upgraded line for 24 hours. It isn't really required, but if you switch while in the store, that rep isn't going to get paid the full commission.

DizzyV6P

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Anyone do it today yet? I have one coming in the mail next week and will probably go online to do it.

Do we still have to wait 24 hours after we activate the dumb phone line before switching to the UDL line? I thought this wasn't necessary anymore.

According to the Reddit instructions I'm supposed to:

1) Once I get iPhone 5s in hand, I activate the 5s on the dumb phone line.
2) Reactivate the dumb phone, which will drop the 2gb data.
3) Now the 5s is now inactive.
4) Activate the 5s on the UDL line.

If anyone has done this today, please update w/ the procedure you used.
Thanks!

NYRangers11

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
Here is a scenario I am looking. I got 3 iPhones on my plan. My phone is unlimited data while the other two have 2gb each. I am due for an upgrade.

What if I transfer my upgrade to any other line and then order a 5s? When it comes I will swap the 5s to the unlimited line. Will this work???

If yes, does the upgrade date change on the phone I transferred it to? Does it reset? How does that work because the upgrade date on my other line is n December and I wouldn't wanna loose it.

Appreciate all the help.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Here is a scenario I am looking. I got 3 iPhones on my plan. My phone is unlimited data while the other two have 2gb each. I am due for an upgrade.

What if I transfer my upgrade to any other line and then order a 5s? When it comes I will swap the 5s to the unlimited line. Will this work???

If yes, does the upgrade date change on the phone I transferred it to? Does it reset? How does that work because the upgrade date on my other line is n December and I wouldn't wanna loose it.

Appreciate all the help.

Your upgrade date on the other lines stay the same even though you transfer the upgrade to them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.