Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firefighterk

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2011
Just left the apple store Spoke with Verizon rep who was really nice. There were 3 of them there all thought our loophole thing was hilarious. But I explained to them everything I wanted to do. He did say you deff need to wait 24 hours for the system to not classify the phone as a buddy upgrade. He also suggested not to turn the iphone on untill tomorrow when I go and put the phone on my number.

Also on a side note he said I might be able to use the same SIM cards as they don't burn the numbers into the cards anymore

Hope this helps

Enjoy guys

kyleh206

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
Hey guys I'm trying to switch devices online but the line I bought the 5S with still shows Pending Order. Any ideas?

Also, do I need the Phone ID of the phone I'm trying to reactivate or can I do it online without? It's proving difficult to obtain the ID.

skywalkerr69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
New York
I have unlimited on verizon too and am going to pay full retail. But I do have a question since you say they will find anyway to make you switch. I recently subscribed to nfl mobile for $5 a month that gets added to your monthly bill, will that affect my unlimited?

Not that I'm aware of. I recently cancelled the nfl app on my iPhone 5 with verizon and I kept my unlimited. The rep told me that since it's an extra service it wouldn't effect my plan and it didn't. Let me know what u find out cause now the season started and I want it back.

evilrt

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
New Jersey USA
Nfl is a feature,... It does not effect the data plan. I got the 5s this morning with a flip phone upgrade. I got home and set up the 5s as new. I backed up my 5 to the mac. I called verizon and told them my "grandma" hates the iphone and to activate the flip phone back with no data plan. In 1 minute the flip was back on and the 5s showed 1x in the status bar. I wiped my 5 and swapped the sim into the 5s. Set it up as a backup and I now have a 5s with unlimited data, new 2 year agreement dumb phone and I'm shipping the 5 today because I sold it last week on eBay. I got a new iphone and made $150 profit. BAM!

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Just left the apple store Spoke with Verizon rep who was really nice. There were 3 of them there all thought our loophole thing was hilarious. But I explained to them everything I wanted to do. He did say you deff need to wait 24 hours for the system to not classify the phone as a buddy upgrade. He also suggested not to turn the iphone on untill tomorrow when I go and put the phone on my number.

Also on a side note he said I might be able to use the same SIM cards as they don't burn the numbers into the cards anymore

Hope this helps

Enjoy guys

Think that rep didn't know what he was talking about. I did this process in March with the s4 and all I did was go to the verizon store and tell them to swap the phone with my line.

NYRangers11

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
Anyone know if only Verizon can do the upgrade transfer or any retailer can do this? Because I tried it at Apple.com and there was no way to do this.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I'm just paying retail. I don't want to pay the extra money every month for two years and more than that don't want to be under contract anymore. I'll just pay retail every two years on the big update and be done with it. I can live with skipping the S models.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Can anyone confirm this scenario (I spoke to Verizon reps in store and they thought I was moron for thinking this could work):

My Account has the follow:

Unlimited line - transfer
Dummy Line - no transfer

I want to transfer the unlimited upgrade to the dummy line and keep unlimited, is this possible?

kyleh206

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
Just wanted to let people know I upgraded my dummy line to a 5S (never powered the phone on), talked to an online verizon rep that helped me reactivate the old dumbphone, and then used the online options to switch the 5S to my old 4S line that has unlimited data. No SIM card swaps or issues, all done this morning.

NYRangers11

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
Just wanted to let people know I upgraded my dummy line to a 5S (never powered the phone on), talked to an online verizon rep that helped me reactivate the old dumbphone, and then used the online options to switch the 5S to my old 4S line that has unlimited data. No SIM card swaps or issues, all done this morning.

Did you buy the phone at a Vernon store or somewhere else?

NYRangers11

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011

Can you please explain the "online options" thing?

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007

That's not the real loophole. Since u are using dumb phone upgrade eligibiity

evilrt

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
New Jersey USA
Can anyone confirm this scenario (I spoke to Verizon reps in store and they thought I was moron for thinking this could work):

Dummy Line - no transfer

I want to transfer the unlimited upgrade to the dummy line and keep unlimited, is this possible?

That's a great and scary question. A lot of people say that it should work but I'm reluctant to try it because I dread losing ULD and falling to a 2GB plan. If more people can confirm that this is the case I will volunteer using my upgrade for a friend to lock me in for 2 more years. I understand that Verizon can strip away the ULD at any time but at least there's less of a chance if I'm not M2M.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
That's a great and scary question. A lot of people say that it should work but I'm reluctant to try it because I dread losing ULD and falling to a 2GB plan. If more people can confirm that this is the case I will volunteer using my upgrade for a friend to lock me in for 2 more years. I understand that Verizon can strip away the ULD at any time but at least there's less of a chance if I'm not M2M.

I've spoken to numerous agents using their online tool and they all give me the same response. Here is a chat dialogue:

Me: i recently transfered my upgrade to my mom's line (i'm on unlimited data). My mom's line is on 2gb tiered plan. if i activate it on my mom's line will it get rid of my unlimited?

Agent: No. Not at all. If you activate it on your line you still have your unlimited data plan also/

Are you upgrading online today?

Me: no. I already transferred it online yesterday.

So what should I do when the phone comes in to transfer it to my line?

Agent: Activate the device on the line you want it on

Me: So I don't need to activate it on my mom's line first?

Agent: No. You can just activate it on your line.

Me: so just directly activate it on my line (unlimited) and it should be fine?

Agent: Yes

TLDR: If you visit most verizon stores they will say this isn't possible (they told me this yesterday). Go through the online transfer tools to bypass the morons.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI

I just Purchased iPhone 5s on my grandmas dummy line, want to switch to unlimited line which has an iPhone 4 currently. I understand the whole activate on the Dummyline first and then switch back to the old device.
My question is switching from an iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5S will I have to buy a Sim on eBay or go to the Verizon store and get a Sim before I can activate the iPhone 5s since they are different sizes? Or can I just wait till after midnight and use the sim that came with it?

NYRangers11

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
I've spoken to numerous agents using their online tool and they all give me the same response. Here is a chat dialogue:

Me: i recently transfered my upgrade to my mom's line (i'm on unlimited data). My mom's line is on 2gb tiered plan. if i activate it on my mom's line will it get rid of my unlimited?

Agent: No. Not at all. If you activate it on your line you still have your unlimited data plan also/

TLDR: If you visit most verizon stores they will say this isn't possible (they told me this yesterday). Go through the online transfer tools to bypass the morons.

Where is the online transfer tool?

SipperyPete

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2011

I had 4 reps tell me that this was not possible, but 2 others said it was. Have you completed this yet? I would love to hear definitive confirmation that it works and then I'll be doing the same thing.

Another question though...what happened to the upgrade date of the dummy line that you transferred yours to? Did it stay the same?

----------

Dummy Line - no transfer

You should be fine so long as you use the online transfer upgrade tool and according to the one poster above, you won't even need to activate it on the dummy line first. You should be able to just call VZW and have it activated on your line directly. They would have to tell you if you were about to lose you ULD before proceeding with the activation.

NYRangers11

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
tried to do the line swap online and it doesn't work. Here is the message that I get

Please select a line to swap with. Some lines may be ineligible for this transaction due to suspended service or pending order.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
tried to do the line swap online and it doesn't work. Here is the message that I get

Please select a line to swap with. Some lines may be ineligible for this transaction due to suspended service or pending order.

Sounds like it has nothing to do with an unlimited data plan. Possibly the line your transferring to is like a flip phone plan.

kyleh206

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
I just Purchased iPhone 5s on my grandmas dummy line, want to switch to unlimited line which has an iPhone 4 currently. I understand the whole activate on the Dummyline first and then switch back to the old device.
My question is switching from an iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5S will I have to buy a Sim on eBay or go to the Verizon store and get a Sim before I can activate the iPhone 5s since they are different sizes? Or can I just wait till after midnight and use the sim that came with it?

YMMV but I just used the SIM that came with the 5S. Didn't wait either, activated it a few hours after I bought the phone.

tharepairguy

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
I was able to keep my unlimited data with verizon by using the upgrade option via bestbuy.com around 2am on launch day. It allowed me to keep my existing plan. Did not force me to change plans...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.