Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
I actually really love my new iPhone 15 Pro Max - the new photo capabilities and lighter design have me won over...I really want to keep it and use it as my actual phone. After a week of use though I think the software, from my experience, is a buggy mess which has spoiled the user experience.

I purchased the highest storage 1TB Pro Max - I take a lot of family photos so need the space. The new features in the Photos app are very valuable - I'm able to get 'live' pics with a portrait effect, marvellous!

Unfortunately I've been plagued by the following bugs:
- Half the time I actually can't share photos, they get stuck forever at the 'preparing' dialog.
- The 'preparing' photos bug also applies when I try to take them into a third party app to edit.
- When I'm editing in the Photos app, it gets very slow and hot. Like it will take 15 seconds for the crop tool to appear after I tap it, that kind of thing. The Photos app seems littered with 'edge case' bugs.
- The phone randomly gets warm which can make it drop maybe 8% battery for no reason, it's terrible.

What really highlights these bugs to me is the fact that I still have my iPhone 14 Pro Max set up and it performs all the tasks I try on the new phone without any hesitation or heat.

It basically feels like in switching to the 1TB 15 Pro Max from the previous one I'm paying €2000 for a buggy, unreliable downgrade - not a smart move really.

I do think that this is all software related and will likely get sorted out by January or so but why use a buggy phone for a few months in the interim? The random heat will have a knock-on effect on the battery, I don't want that.

I honestly think I'll re-purchase the iPhone 15 Pro Max maybe in February or so when it's got the software issues fixed - I love the phone. I think Apple need to rethink how they release new phones, the software needs to be more solid. The bugs I'm seeing are show-stoppers to me. I get a new iPhone every year and have never sent one back - this is an unhappy first.

Good hardware is only half the story, Apple needs less buggy software to support it. The iPhone 15 Pro Max feels like buying a new Porsche 911 which won't go into reverse. It's almost great...but the bug is a showstopper, so annoying really.

EDIT: I've also actually even installed the new beta of iOS 17.1 - it solves none of my problems. I've submitted bug reports to Apple.

EDIT 2: I’ve tried wiping the phone and setting it up fresh, not from an iCloud backup - to see if the backup was corrupted. This didn’t fix the issue.

Originally I used an iCloud backup.

Last edited:

PeteBurgh

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2014
It sounds like something has gone badly wrong with this phone. Corrupted/faulty storage perhaps?

I've got the same phone - I've taken hundreds of photos this week and edited dozens (both in the Photos app and in Photomator and Lightroom) and I've not seen anything remotely like the four issues you mention. I've also read and watched an embarrassing number of reviews about the phone this week, and none I've seen mentioned the kind of extreme hangs/delays you're getting. This combination of personal experience and reviews makes me think it's more likely to be something idiosyncratic to your phone, rather than general 'iOS 17 is not ready' stuff.

Personally, I would try wipe and do a fresh install, and failing that, return and exchange before I returned it for good. But I understand the frustration - it's an expensive product and you want it work.

Last edited:

W£S

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2021
I actually really love my new iPhone 15 Pro Max - the new photo capabilities and lighter design have me won over...I really want to keep it and use it as my actual phone. After a week of use though I think the software, from my experience, is a buggy mess which has spoiled the user experience.

I purchased the highest storage 1TB Pro Max - I take a lot of family photos so need the space. The new features in the Photos app are very valuable - I'm able to get 'live' pics with a portrait effect, marvellous!

- Half the time I actually can't share photos, they get stuck forever at the 'preparing' dialog.
- The 'preparing' photos bug also applies when I try to take them into a third party app to edit.
- When I'm editing in the Photos app, it gets very slow and hot. Like it will take 15 seconds for the crop tool to appear after I tap it, that kind of thing. The Photos app seems littered with 'edge case' bugs.
- The phone randomly gets warm which can make it drop maybe 8% battery for no reason, it's terrible.

What really highlights these bugs to me is the fact that I still have my iPhone 14 Pro Max set up and it performs all the tasks I try on the new phone without any hesitation or heat.

It basically feels like in switching to the 1TB 15 Pro Max from the previous one I'm paying €2000 for a buggy, unreliable downgrade - not a smart move really.

I do think that this is all software related and will likely get sorted out by January or so but why use a buggy phone for a few months in the interim? The random heat will have a knock-on effect on the battery, I don't want that.

I honestly think I'll re-purchase the iPhone 15 Pro Max maybe in February or so when it's got the software issues fixed - I love the phone. I think Apple need to rethink how they release new phones, the software needs to be more solid. The bugs I'm seeing are show-stoppers to me. I get a new iPhone every year and have never sent one back - this is an unhappy first.

Good hardware is only half the story, Apple needs less buggy software to support it. The iPhone 15 Pro Max feels like buying a new Porsche 911 which won't go into reverse. It's almost great...but the bug is a showstopper, so annoying really.

EDIT: I've also actually even installed the new beta of iOS 17.1 - it solves none of my problems. I've submitted bug reports to Apple.
Do a hard reset. If it still persist, wipe and reset up your phone.

If it still persist, ask for replacement set within 14 days

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
OP: when you set up the new iPhone, did you use Quick Start, do a transfer, or use a backup?

Try this, seriously. Wipe the iPhone 15 Pro Max. Wipe the iPhone and do a clean install of the latest iOS, plugging into your Mac to do it, if you can. Then install your apps, one by one. Then upload your data from iCloud. Don't use anything else other than clean installs of the latest apps, and import data via iCloud, Dropbox, Drive, or whatever else you use.

Do it. Then report back and see if that fixed the issues. There are multiple reports that a clean iOS install is fixing battery issues, heating issues, and software issues.

I think it's worth a shot. If nothing else, you can provide us with some additional data, and inform us whether this resulted in major improvements, or none at all.

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
It sounds like something has gone badly wrong with this phone. Corrupted/faulty storage perhaps?

I've got the same phone - I've taken hundreds of photos this week and edited dozens (both in the Photos app and in Photomator and Lightroom) and I've not seen anything remotely like the four issues you mention. I've also read and watched an embarrassing number of reviews about the phone this week, and none I've seen mentioned the kind of extreme hangs/delays you're getting. This combination of personal experience and reviews makes me think it's more likely to be something idiosyncratic to your phone, rather than general 'iOS 17 is not ready' stuff.

Personally, I would try wipe and do a fresh install, and failing that, return and exchange before I returned it for good. But I understand the frustration - it's an expensive product and you want it work.
I tried a fresh install without the iCloud backup - it didn’t fix the issues. Originally I used a backup.

Reactions: kolebee and Mity

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
OP: when you set up the new iPhone, did you use Quick Start, do a transfer, or use a backup?

Try this, seriously. Wipe the iPhone 15 Pro Max. Wipe the iPhone and do a clean install of the latest iOS, plugging into your Mac to do it, if you can. Then install your apps, one by one. Then upload your data from iCloud. Don't use anything else other than clean installs of the latest apps, and import data via iCloud, Dropbox, Drive, or whatever else you use.

Do it. Then report back and see if that fixed the issues. There are multiple reports that a clean iOS install is fixing battery issues, heating issues, and software issues.

I think it's worth a shot. If nothing else, you can provide us with some additional data, and inform us whether this resulted in major improvements, or none at all.
I tried multiple different installations - with and without an iCloud backup. Had no joy.

newen

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2023
Please don't return your phone... You will regret it because there are people who are dying to get the remaining iPhone 15 Pro Max inventory right now! I myself would die for any 15 Pro Max 256GB model since I am in Japan and the inventory is scarce here.

Biko65

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2009
Italy

To me, 3 out of 4 of these seem more iOS 17 bugs rather than iPhone 15 Pro related problems.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305

EDIT 2: I’ve tried wiping the phone and setting it up fresh, not from an iCloud backup - to see if the backup was corrupted. This didn’t fix the issue.

I would exchange it for another device. ReUP your 14 days return period. Take it from there.

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023

I think the heat gate is mainly IOS 17 and apps both are not tuned well for a17 pro at all yet. Wait for 17.1 first should be better.

• Angry
Reactions: ifxf

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
How would Apple give out a replacement, if they are unable to instantly ship iPhone replacements that are lost during transit right now?
Apple stores have a contingent reserved for in-store replacements, as far as I know. Apparently Apple does not have such a contingent reserved for replacing lost shipments of online orders. Apple stores are like a separate operation with respect to iPhone allotments.

acblue94

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
New York, NY.

This is your issue. User issues. Not widespread at all. Get a new phone.

0kwhyn0t

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2021
OP, do what makes you feel good and disregard any comments from others who challenge your experience. You’ve obviously done some testing on your own and the web is full of reports similar to yours. Regardless of where the issue is, software or hardware, there IS an issue and it’s absolutely your prerogative to not spend $1600 on amateur hour. You have a great phone that works well. Enjoy it and upgrade when ready. Be well!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.