Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
iPhone: it just might work!

In this case it didn’t, strange that all these issues vary so much between user. iOS updates seem to have less features over the last few years but quality control also seems on the decline.

Reactions: ibookemo

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
How can I upload the data via iCloud? I haven't seen this option. The only option I have seen is to restore from iCloud backup or from the MAC backup, which restores everything from the backup, such as settings, data, etc. Thanks.

You should watch videos on how to do a clean iOS install. I use my Mac and iPhone is connected via USB, and go through the Finder Restore process. Very fast.

Your iCloud data should already be uploaded automatically, based on your backup settings under your account.

If this isn’t making sense, watch plenty of tutorials before you proceed.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Well done OP. If your iPhone 15 Pro Max doesn’t work as it should, you have to return it, and waiting a few months (or even purchasing another model) is the right decision, even more after reading your two edits.

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Share to what service….?
None of the services work - Messages, Email, Airdrop…all get stuck at the ‘Preparing’ dialogue.

Not always, just half the time.

The delivery driver has now collected the phone to go back to Apple. Never been so relieved to offload a product. My old 14 Pro Max is running really smoothly - phew 😮‍💨

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
That does seem like a software bug. "Preparing" usually implies some kind of transcoding process - since the photo is probably in HEIC or other format that will not necessarily work in other services. Hmmmm....
I agree. An odd one as it persists on both a fresh install and one from an iCloud backup. Both involve using my Photos backup from iCloud which is 46,000 photos large.

Funny thing is that the issue does not present on the iPhone 14 Pro Max using the same photo library and version of iOS.

It seems to be an issue between both the software and hardware mix. I can’t fix it, tried for a week.

A miserable experience, not worth €2,000.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
I actually really love my new iPhone 15 Pro Max - the new photo capabilities and lighter design have me won over...I really want to keep it and use it as my actual phone. After a week of use though I think the software, from my experience, is a buggy mess which has spoiled the user experience.

I purchased the highest storage 1TB Pro Max - I take a lot of family photos so need the space. The new features in the Photos app are very valuable - I'm able to get 'live' pics with a portrait effect, marvellous!

Unfortunately I've been plagued by the following bugs:
- Half the time I actually can't share photos, they get stuck forever at the 'preparing' dialog.
- The 'preparing' photos bug also applies when I try to take them into a third party app to edit.
- When I'm editing in the Photos app, it gets very slow and hot. Like it will take 15 seconds for the crop tool to appear after I tap it, that kind of thing. The Photos app seems littered with 'edge case' bugs.
- The phone randomly gets warm which can make it drop maybe 8% battery for no reason, it's terrible.

What really highlights these bugs to me is the fact that I still have my iPhone 14 Pro Max set up and it performs all the tasks I try on the new phone without any hesitation or heat.

It basically feels like in switching to the 1TB 15 Pro Max from the previous one I'm paying €2000 for a buggy, unreliable downgrade - not a smart move really.

I do think that this is all software related and will likely get sorted out by January or so but why use a buggy phone for a few months in the interim? The random heat will have a knock-on effect on the battery, I don't want that.

I honestly think I'll re-purchase the iPhone 15 Pro Max maybe in February or so when it's got the software issues fixed - I love the phone. I think Apple need to rethink how they release new phones, the software needs to be more solid. The bugs I'm seeing are show-stoppers to me. I get a new iPhone every year and have never sent one back - this is an unhappy first.

Good hardware is only half the story, Apple needs less buggy software to support it. The iPhone 15 Pro Max feels like buying a new Porsche 911 which won't go into reverse. It's almost great...but the bug is a showstopper, so annoying really.

EDIT: I've also actually even installed the new beta of iOS 17.1 - it solves none of my problems. I've submitted bug reports to Apple.

EDIT 2: I’ve tried wiping the phone and setting it up fresh, not from an iCloud backup - to see if the backup was corrupted. This didn’t fix the issue.

Originally I used an iCloud backup.
I would suggest giving it the full 14 days before return. These are the first few days of a new super-high-tech product. A) Not everyone has your experience; B) early dot updates to iOS always come, including 17.0.2 today; C) operational issues often do sort out in a week or two; D) personally I would take such problems direct to an Apple Store for resolution and force it up the tech food chain.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
It is not his issue. Others have these issues too.
Not all or even most users have the issues described. That is not to suggest that the issues do not exist on his phone and some others. The point is that he is in a subset, which very very likely means it is a software issue. Software issues are usually resolved fairly quickly with dot updates or Apple changes out the phone.

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
OP: when you set up the new iPhone, did you use Quick Start, do a transfer, or use a backup?

Try this, seriously. Wipe the iPhone 15 Pro Max. Wipe the iPhone and do a clean install of the latest iOS, plugging into your Mac to do it, if you can. Then install your apps, one by one. Then upload your data from iCloud. Don't use anything else other than clean installs of the latest apps, and import data via iCloud, Dropbox, Drive, or whatever else you use.

Do it. Then report back and see if that fixed the issues. There are multiple reports that a clean iOS install is fixing battery issues, heating issues, and software issues.

I think it's worth a shot. If nothing else, you can provide us with some additional data, and inform us whether this resulted in major improvements, or none at all.
This. OP mentioned doing clean installs, but is that simply erasing all content and settings, or following all the steps mentioned here?

Erase all content and settings, DFU mode (I believe recovery can do it too), plug into Mac, update software and try a fresh start from there.

If you’ve done all of that already, I would definitely record the issues and go back to Apple for a replacement.

Edit: nvm, I see you returned. Better luck with the next one 🤞.

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
Does the 8+ get iOS 17? I always forget where they draw "the line" on new iOS updates.
It actually does not. SE2 and Xr, or phones with A12 Bionic and newer, are the oldest models able to update to 17. Just more reason for her to buy a new phone in November then.

Reactions: tekchic

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Sorry you’re dealing with this. When you reinstalled clean without a backup, did some apps automatically populate or did you have to manually download each one individually?

I also believe that any of these issues are software related, but that doesn’t help you right now. Nice of you to try to get to the bottom of it and connecting with support about it. My 15PM doesn’t come in until November, so I can’t offer any good solutions.

Let us know if you happen to find any fixes for this. I’m actually really curious to see if I can replicate any of these issues.

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Sorry you’re dealing with this. When you reinstalled clean without a backup, did some apps automatically populate or did you have to manually download each one individually?

I also believe that any of these issues are software related, but that doesn’t help you right now. Nice of you to try to get to the bottom of it and connecting with support about it. My 15PM doesn’t come in until November, so I can’t offer any good solutions.

Let us know if you happen to find any fixes for this. I’m actually really curious to see if I can replicate any of these issues.
I had to manually install all of my apps (and settings), only the iPhone standard ones like Safari were there...a clean install. The phone has now been picked up by the courier so I'll let the Apple Devs and the user base work out the issues. I'll re-purchase in maybe January/February when things should be more smooth - looking forward to it as I love the new camera features and the actual hardware is a really great design improvement (weight, material etc.)

In the meantime I wish all the 15 Pro Max users the best of luck. I'll be reading the forums to share in your experiences.

Reactions: Kierkegaarden

mrmister

Suspended
Dec 19, 2008
Since you still have your 14 Pro Max all set up, I think returning and just deciding to do this in a few months is absolutely valid. I wish less people here were obsessed with you troubleshooting your own phone, which it sounds like you already have. Frankly I think more people encountering issues of any magnitude should absolutely return their phone in the 14 days, because then it's Apple's problem.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I am glad for the past 3 decades I've been replacing all my phones every 2 years.

I am also glad that the local launch of my iPhone 15 Pro Max is next month so by then all the bugs experienced by this month's users would be squashed.

Which country is that, if you don’t mind me asking?

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Since you still have your 14 Pro Max all set up, I think returning and just deciding to do this in a few months is absolutely valid. I wish less people here were obsessed with you troubleshooting your own phone, which it sounds like you already have. Frankly I think more people encountering issues of any magnitude should absolutely return their phone in the 14 days, because then it's Apple's problem.
The voice of reason - thank you sir. If a product is very expensive, it should deliver a great experience out of the box. I don't have the words 'Apple Technician' written on my jacket - I don't pay them a large amount of money for the opportunity to fix their product issues. Sheesh.

Radeon962

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2020
OP: when you set up the new iPhone, did you use Quick Start, do a transfer, or use a backup?

Try this, seriously. Wipe the iPhone 15 Pro Max. Wipe the iPhone and do a clean install of the latest iOS, plugging into your Mac to do it, if you can. Then install your apps, one by one. Then upload your data from iCloud. Don't use anything else other than clean installs of the latest apps, and import data via iCloud, Dropbox, Drive, or whatever else you use.

Do it. Then report back and see if that fixed the issues. There are multiple reports that a clean iOS install is fixing battery issues, heating issues, and software issues.

I think it's worth a shot. If nothing else, you can provide us with some additional data, and inform us whether this resulted in major improvements, or none at all.

Might just be a random app that they use. I did a full restore from an encrypted backup via iTunes from my 14 Pro Max to my 15 Pro Max and have not had any issues.

ade555

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2021
I think is down to if one wants to take the risk in hope updates will fix the issues, is a lot of money if you just bought the phone straight out. I can understand OP handing his phone back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.