Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Peace said:
Installed the firmware and there is no moo.didn't have it before but I tell you what.The Mac ran at about 47 degrees when idle.now it's down to 37 degrees.

47 and 37!?!?!? WHAT IS YOUR SECRET!?

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
hey wako! I remember you from the old moobook complaint threads. Glad we finnaly got thing resolved after 4 months!

icec0ld

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2006
running this as we speak (or as i type). it definitely cools down the temperatures and since i hit the moo'ing at 70*C and i haven't even been able to hit 60*C now, i have no moo. yes you can hear the fans but that's only when its dead quiet. i'm willing to bet if you're in any public library or any place other than confined solitude you won't hear it (and no my ears are not blasted by my iPod, i use $500 earphones customed for me). the temperature loss is a bigger gain than the slight hum of the fans imo.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
how are you all checking the temps and such? I have a white macbook and I'd like to see if it is running hot, after I install this update.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Sean Dempsey said:
how are you all checking the temps and such? I have a white macbook and I'd like to see if it is running hot, after I install this update.

You can download a widget called coreduo temp or use an all in one widget like istatpro or istatnano.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
istat does not report a temperature for my macbook, neither do any of the other widgets I've tried.

I'll look for that one you mentioned.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
strange, the core duo temp reports "undefined" as the temperature as well. Anyone ran into this? I restarted and everything.

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
I'mstill in 10.4.6, in an attempt to avoid the moo and dont have it, Should i updateto .7 and the firmwareupdate? I also dont want "the colored lines" of 10.4.7. any ideas?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Peace said:
Installed the firmware and there is no moo.didn't have it before but I tell you what.The Mac ran at about 47 degrees when idle.now it's down to 37 degrees.
Same here.

Didn't have the moo before, don't have the moo after, and iStat Nano is showing that it's running about 10'C-12'C cooler. :eek:

THANK YOU APPLE!!!!

fivetoadsloth said:
I'mstill in 10.4.6, in an attempt to avoid the moo and dont have it, Should i updateto .7 and the firmwareupdate? I also dont want "the colored lines" of 10.4.7. any ideas?
I don't think the firmware update is tied to the OS, so even if you're on 10.4.6, it should work OK. I'd imagine that Apple could make this update "not appear" on your Software Update if it didn't work with 10.4.6... :)

sonictonic said:
My iStat nano widget does not report anything for the temp. either. Just a blank section. :(
A few folks on the Apple support forums had to reinstall CoreDuoTemp afterwords to get it working again. <shrug> :)

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Is this the consensus so far: Macbook with moos now are cooled down to the mid 50's while macbooks that never had moos are now in the low 40s!??!?

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
@ aristo

My iStat nano Temp section has never worked on my MacBook. Even after deleting it and downloading and installing again.

I'm confused how it works for some and not for others... :confused:

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
I'm topping out at 60 but my Macbook isn't mooing and it isn't hot at all.....I can't complain....however....I have not moved my macbook from my desk since the day I bought it....I have even left the foaming insert between the display and keyboard on the whole time....I use a BT keyboard and mouse.....so after 2 weeks...not a single mark on the thing....and NO MORE MOOOOO!!!!! :D

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
yeah, in 10.4.6 apple hid the firmware update but to try to lower the temp
im getting 10.4.7 and than the firmware update.

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
How many people with 10.4.7 are having the "mosaics" or "linesof dread" at startup?
id really not like to have the computer cool down but instead have fun looking at colorful lines down my screen. ugh, now i cancelled my 10.4.7 update. didnt seem like i needed it and since i maily use it on tables, not my lap, i dont know if its worth the risk.
any thoughts? thanks alot.

Star Destroyer

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2006
Well, let me be the first to say : My macbook is making more noise after installing.

I read this thread, and i listened carefully, and now i notice a constant fan hum.
Before it was humming every so often, now its all the time.. I even let it cool after updateing. Also, it seems to start, and wake up with a fury of fan speed all the time.

I cant remember that happening before, but it might have, just when i re-open the lid i can hear all the fans kick on fast then settle out...

but yes.. the sound went from pretty much nothing to a slight 'grind' even.. I am pretty sure its the fans spinning.

...hooo-ray for apple...

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Star Destroyer said:
Well, let me be the first to say : My macbook is making more noise after installing.

I read this thread, and i listened carefully, and now i notice a constant fan hum.
Before it was humming every so often, now its all the time.. I even let it cool after updateing. Also, it seems to start, and wake up with a fury of fan speed all the time.

I cant remember that happening before, but it might have, just when i re-open the lid i can hear all the fans kick on fast then settle out...

but yes.. the sound went from pretty much nothing to a slight 'grind' even.. I am pretty sure its the fans spinning.

...hooo-ray for apple...

yea same here, it is making it alot cooler by 10 deg C but now there is a very quiet hmmmmmmmmmmm goin on. Anyone have the previous firmware update?

Star Destroyer

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2006
Not having anthing to check the temp but my skin, i would say SLIGHTLY colder.. But humm worthy.. i dunno yet, well see in the library..grrrrrr

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.