Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Yup I can confirm that my macbook's fan is now on 100% of the time, you can hear the fan (it is fairly quiet though). No moo ofcourse, but the fan is now constantly on. The temp is obviously going to be a lot cooler, but I wish there could have been a better solution to this fan moo problem :(

FullmetalZ26

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2006
Well, I'm definitely happy -- my idle temps have gone from mid-upper 60's to low to mid 50's in all of eight minutes. (This is with an ambient temp of 76-78ºF) I'm more than happy to put up with a tiny bit of fan noise than a slow-roasting laptop, but perhaps that's because my MacBook's fan has been rather quiet all along anyways.

Star Destroyer

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2006
Ok that link didnt provide another link to allow me to DL the program hahaha
How do i GET That, rather then read about it?

FullmetalZ26

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2006
Star Destroyer said:
Ok that link didnt provide another link to allow me to DL the program hahaha
How do i GET That, rather then read about it?
If you're referring to the CoreDuo Temp link at the top of this page, look for a "Download" text link all the way at the top of the page. I couldn't find it either the first time...

Star Destroyer

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2006
hrmm.. i thought that was just all one poorly put togther sentence, not at all a link to download! hahaha

gosh, i messed up! sorry. i have it now though, thank you!

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
Holy crap! I'm serious about my MB being 31 C!:eek: This is the craziest ever. I'm running MSN, Safari, iTunes, CD temp and iPhoto. This is insane!:D :D

I can't hear a difference from my fan, but I'm glad that y'all outthere got the problem solved.;)

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Josias said:
Holy crap! I'm serious about my MB being 31 C!:eek: This is the craziest ever. I'm running MSN, Safari, iTunes, CD temp and iPhoto. This is insane!:D :D

I can't hear a difference from my fan, but I'm glad that y'all outthere got the problem solved.;)

wow...did your mb originally not have moo problems?

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
WillMak said:
wow...did your mb originally not have moo problems?

no, it was all silent, and still is, but it would usually run at 50 C doing that, but now it's 15 C less. Incredible!:D

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Josias said:
no, it was all silent, and still is, but it would usually run at 50 C doing that, but now it's 15 C less. Incredible!:D

ARRRG, why!?!?!?!?!?!? Is there really something physically wrong with the macbooks which had the moo? Sure the moo is gone, but it's still in the mid 50s compared to ppl with no moo getting 30s now! :mad:

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
With the reduced temps does anyone notice their Macbook is running faster in intensive applications like Photoshop or Handbrake?

chris y.

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
los angeles, ca
seems to run about the same speed for me, but Ive only been using it for a couple of hours.

its definitely much cooler I can leave it on my lap while its charging, before I would have to find a table within like 10-20 minutes of plugging it in...the fan noise is hardly noticeable too...its a great update

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2005
any performance hits? i have a feeling that the programs are going to run slower now. can anybody that has a previous cinebench or xbench run redo the run again?

how about the processor load?

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
steelfist said:
any performance hits? i have a feeling that the programs are going to run slower now. can anybody that has a previous cinebench or xbench run redo the run again?

how about the processor load?

these are no fancy benchmarks, but Finder is snappier, and applications such as aMSN that took up to five seconds to launch, starts now in around 2-3 seconds. So according to my MB, yes, it's a bit faster.;)

irbdavid

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2006
Add me to the list of 'no moo to start with' people. Updated. Still no moo, good 5-10ºC cooler idling. No change in fan noise at all (still deathly silent until really try and hurt the processor).

Nice job Apple!

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
Hmm, we should go make a poll, to see how many people this actually helped...

simonthewolf

macrumors member
May 24, 2006
Milton Keynes, UK
Whilst it's nice to see that Apple has provided a fix for this problem, spare a thought for us chirpy G5 tower owners, particularly those who have upgraded to Tiger. No fix in sight here :mad:

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
simonthewolf said:
Whilst it's nice to see that Apple has provided a fix for this problem, spare a thought for us chirpy G5 tower owners, particularly those who have upgraded to Tiger. No fix in sight here :mad:

What? The PowerMac's moo? I know some 12" iBook's have moo'ed, but never heard of PowerMacs? :confused:

fatties

macrumors regular
May 21, 2006
hmm...nothing's happening on mine. its still warm but lets give it sometime to cool... the wierd thing is menutemp is now resolutely stuck on 0 even after about 5 minutes. i mean the fans can't be so stong that its freezing in there?

also does anyone think that apple might have sneakily put something for random shutdowns in the firmware? (please please please...)

menutemp still at 0- well now i have the outside of the mb as a space heater for the winter and if i could just crack it open, use the inside as a fridge... who'd know that this would become such a multi functional machine when they bought it...

Star Destroyer

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2006
Mine at 32 C now.. last night it was at 54C with the new update.. so it goes to show that the temp difference might just be how high your air conditioning is cranked :p

So just waut until winter, everyones temps will likely go down..

ImAlwaysRight

macrumors 6502a
macdaddy121 said:
I have not moved my macbook from my desk since the day I bought it....I have even left the foaming insert between the display and keyboard on the whole time....I use a BT keyboard and mouse.....so after 2 weeks...not a single mark on the thing
That's like buying an expensive sportscar and only driving it up and down your driveway. Your MacBook wants to sit with you on the sofa, lay with you in bed, go with you to the airport (well, maybe not right now), go to your place of work, sit precariously close to your coffee at Starbucks ... FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND HOLY, SET YOUR MACBOOK FREE! :D

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
If I install this update, but don't like the what it does to my MB's fans, if I do a clean reinstallation of OSX, will it undo the update?

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Josias said:
What? The PowerMac's moo? I know some 12" iBook's have moo'ed, but never heard of PowerMacs? :confused:

The PowerMac G5s don't moo - they roar.

Josias said:
Hmm, we should go make a poll, to see how many people this actually helped...

I'd love to see this, as well.

FleurDuMal said:
If I install this update, but don't like the what it does to my MB's fans, if I do a clean reinstallation of OSX, will it undo the update?

The Firmware is something more "internal" than just the System Software on the hard drive, and thus is a separate thing.

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
People that didnt have the moo problem, did the firmware update help? I stayed in 10.4.6 when people where saying that there moo started in 10.4.7 but now with people saying it cooled down the temp im tempted to update, but my two concers are how loud is the hum? and how many people with 10.4.7 have had the colored lines on there screen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.