Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

starchild237

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2020
Historically, when something isn't mentioned at a press event, how long until they quietly update other products via press release? Still interested to see if they'll do a small spec bump this year for MBP16.

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Historically, when something isn't mentioned at a press event, how long until they quietly update other products via press release? Still interested to see if they'll do a small spec bump this year for MBP16.
Also curious about this. I've been waiting for a latest-gen intel 16" mbp for a while and expected it today, but no dice :(

kilihn

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2020
Out Here
Would pray for one, might wait out another week or so before buying refurb. Seems like they have some 5600m models on there now.

phl92

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2020
So there it is, the MBP 13" with new Apple Chip. Oh boy and I just bought 3 weeks ago the MBP 13" 2020... and I am NOT happy with battery life. They claim 10,5 hours on the 2020 MBP and now the new one should have 20 hours?!? Even if they real time won't be that great, there should be a huge improvement.

Honestly, I am just shocked, actually I have tomorrow an appointment at an Apple Store because of my battery issue, but I hope I just can give it back and order the new MBP M1. And I would even safe money, since in my country I paid more than 2000€ for the MBP 13" 2020 and the new one is price about 1650€ with 512GB but only 8GB Ram.
Would you guys recommend the 16 GB upgrade? Or is this chip so efficient that it works like a older MBP on 16 GB??

Reactions: Bea220

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Also curious about this. I've been waiting for a latest-gen intel 16" mbp for a while and expected it today, but no dice :(

Apple probably thought it wasn't worth it. Intel's 11th gen chip for MBP 16" isn't ready till early 2021, and the 10th gen one is the same as the 9th gen one just with .3 Ghz higher top speed (which it can't hit or sustain anyway).

John Calvin Young

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2020
Raleigh, NC
Would pray for one, might wait out another week or so before buying refurb. Seems like they have some 5600m models on there now.
I'm not *that* desperate yet. I'm going to wait, on a timeline through probably March '21, for a decent spec bump. If at that point we didn't get anything worthwhile... I'll have to make the call between buying 2019 hardware, or biting the bullet and waiting for the AS MBP16. Not holding my breath on that one.

kilihn

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2020
Out Here
I'm not *that* desperate yet. I'm going to wait, on a timeline through probably March '21, for a decent spec bump. If at that point we didn't get anything worthwhile... I'll have to make the call between buying 2019 hardware, or biting the bullet and waiting for the AS MBP16. Not holding my breath on that one.
This is so hard lol, I think thats a good wait time for possible Tiger Lake-H to be implemented possibly. I can probably wait but at this point I'm getting so annoyed with Apple, I ordered a 16" in July and returned it because of the fan noise with my external monitor. Waited till now to see what will happen.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I wonder why we don't get edge to edge screens on MacBook Pro's. It's baffling!

XPS screens are just gorgeous.

All the rumours have suggested the re-design of these will be next year - I guess they want to do things one step at a time and not introduce too many changes at once.

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
All the rumours have suggested the re-design of these will be next year - I guess they want to do things one step at a time and not introduce too many changes at once.

That's usually how they do it. They are usually behind their PC counterparts and release features slowly to keep you still yearning for more.

The impossible dream would be that they license out MacOS independently of their hardware. I really like MacOS, but I loathe their hardware.

kfmfe04

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
Looking to replace a 2009 iMac and a 2013 16" rMBP, but as a developer/VM user, 16GB RAM limit in M1's is a no-go. I mean, even my 2013 rMBP has 16GB of RAM 8^P.

In 2020 and beyond, 64GB limits on desktops and 32GB limits on laptops should be the norm. Guess I'll have to wait for M2 or M3.

phl92

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2020
Apple support service is great. I just could return my MBP 13" 2020 which I bought almost a month ago, and now I have again all options to buy this new M1 guy.
I know nobody yet has it at home to test it, but software wise, can you already say what definitely won't work right away, and what will work?
I heard Lightroom and Photoshop will work only next month(s). What about Apps like Skye, Zoom, Word and other 3rd party often used Apps?
Honestly I think the huge power and battery performance will be only achieved using their native Apps in a very mild way. So before buying the new M1 I want to have some benchmarks how this new setup work with the above mentioned 3rd party Apps.
Also the only 2 Thunderbolt hubs are annoying. This means I cnanot charge, use HDMI to my external screen and my Bluetooth hub for my wireless mouse&keyboard at the same time. And these USB-C docks are also anything but really cheap.

philip_t

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2017
Earth
Apple probably thought it wasn't worth it. Intel's 11th gen chip for MBP 16" isn't ready till early 2021, and the 10th gen one is the same as the 9th gen one just with .3 Ghz higher top speed (which it can't hit or sustain anyway).
Given what Apple just showed with the M1, Tiger Lake H will have to be an order of magnitude better than current MBP 16" processors or it will just not be worth it for Apple customers and hence Apple. If Rosetta 2 works as advertised and Virtual Machine hosts such as Parallels can be made to work on AS then I predict the transition from Intel will be a stampede. I wonder how many Intel excutives drowned their sorrows last night?

Bea220

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2020
SoCal
I had bought a 2019 MBP with butterfly keyboard in February - never opened it and returned it after trying the keys on a displayed model in Best Buy. Then I almost bought the 2020 MPB with Magic Keyboard but heard about the Silicon computers to be released so I refrained.

With the M1 announcement and no time to really think it through I went ahead and ordered it immediately. I went with the 8GB and 512 storage... honestly the Air is probably sufficient but I'm drawn to the fancier stuff (and unlike the majority I like the Touch Bar). My delivery is scheduled for 11/17-11/18 through Apple and UPS is optimistic and says 11/16 (I think the earliest Apple wants these out is 11/17 so 11/16 won't happen).

I've been DYING for the 14 inch MBP announcement but that seems far away. I suppose I'll be opening the M1 Pro when it arrives and see if I fall in love. If it's just "meh" I'll return it and wait even longer. My late 2013 rMBP is hanging on but I've been longing for something new.

Do you guys think Apple will actually release a 14" model? The rumors of the return of the 12" make me question it.

I'd appreciate it if anyone can share their thoughts on this. :)

applefan19

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2019
Apple support service is great. I just could return my MBP 13" 2020 which I bought almost a month ago, and now I have again all options to buy this new M1 guy.
I know nobody yet has it at home to test it, but software wise, can you already say what definitely won't work right away, and what will work?
I heard Lightroom and Photoshop will work only next month(s). What about Apps like Skye, Zoom, Word and other 3rd party often used Apps?
Honestly I think the huge power and battery performance will be only achieved using their native Apps in a very mild way. So before buying the new M1 I want to have some benchmarks how this new setup work with the above mentioned 3rd party Apps.
Also the only 2 Thunderbolt hubs are annoying. This means I cnanot charge, use HDMI to my external screen and my Bluetooth hub for my wireless mouse&keyboard at the same time. And these USB-C docks are also anything but really cheap.
Why can you return a Mac bought a month ago to Apple? I thought Apple had 14-day returns (during non-holiday season).

Reactions: phl92

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Hanging to my mid 2015 15 inch mbp for another few months until the 16MBP with Silicon is out (WWDC?). Damn, these just introduced machines are a beast and I can’t wait for real benchmarks using Photoshop/After Effects/C4D.
I'm even considering getting a Mac Mini for now until the 16MBP comes along.

kobefan234

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2008
any truth to this ? Apparently new 16 inch MBP is going to be released in 2020. maybe early december?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 4.40.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 4.40.51 AM.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 82

phl92

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2020
Why can you return a Mac bought a month ago to Apple? I thought Apple had 14-day returns (during non-holiday season).
Good question, I guess the term here is called 'goodwill' ?( my native tongue is not English).
However, in my country are other companies who offer tremendous service even if you ran out of any guarantee deadlines or other... seems Apple is one of them OR they command was to convince as many customers as possible to buy the new M1 chips, which means also taking back MBP which were bought a month ago and maybe even longer?

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
any truth to this ? Apparently new 16 inch MBP is going to be released in 2020. maybe early december?

I guess the outstanding question is what are they going to update the 16-inch with?

Perhaps 10th gen with Wifi 6? A 1080p camera seems unlikely given the AS devices did not get one, 10th gen is not a major upgrade, 11th gen is not yet out as far as we know, and AMD has not announced a successor to the Radeon Pro 5XXX nor has info on it leaked?

JosepPont

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2019
Albaida, Valencian Country

If it is not on the macrumors frontpage this will be a fake with planetarian dimensions
I guess the outstanding question is what are they going to update the 16-inch with?

Perhaps 10th gen with Wifi 6? A 1080p camera seems unlikely given the AS devices did not get one, 10th gen is not a major upgrade, 11th gen is not yet out as far as we know, and AMD has not announced a successor to the Radeon Pro 5XXX nor has info on it leaked?
Talk about a AS 16". L0vetodream says that we will have a "christmas suprise" but seems it will be on the airpods pro studio. If they dont talk about the 16 inch in the event it is unlikely that they'll do a silent release

Appledoesnotlisten

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2017
If it is not on the macrumors frontpage this will be a fake with planetarian dimensions

Talk about a AS 16". L0vetodream says that we will have a "christmas suprise" but seems it will be on the airpods pro studio. If they dont talk about the 16 inch in the event it is unlikely that they'll do a silent release
Apple might end up with a bunch of pissed of users who will just buy a 16" with 5600 and return it at the end of the holiday season just to get by.

JosepPont

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2019
Albaida, Valencian Country
Apple might end up with a bunch of pissed of users who will just buy a 16" with 5600 and return it at the end of the holiday season just to get by.
I'm really tempted to buy the 16" 5600 but as I said in other posts, I'm in fear to have a +4000€ machine that will be outdated and overcomed by far by the machine at the same price range in june (plus the 5600 do not fix the thermals in external monitor at all)

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
I'm really tempted to buy the 16" 5600 but as I said in other posts, I'm in fear to have a +4000€ machine that will be outdated and overcomed by far by the machine at the same price range in june (plus the 5600 do not fix the thermals in external monitor at all)

My 5600M completely fixes it. It's an absolutely insane improvement compared to the 5500M.

kobefan234

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2008

Man. I just spent $3020 on a 2019 MBP (32 GB ram) like 11 days ago. There is a 14 day period where you can return the product to apple for a full refund. I will return it if the new 16 inch is going to be released in the coming weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.