Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
13 inches or 13.3 inches? Are the plans for 14" delayed or non existent anymore?

Nobody knows, but all the rumours are pointing to 13" laptops first, using the current design.

If I were to guess, I'd say that suggests the MBP might move to 14" next year under the expected re-design?

liriel_

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2020
Oh no, I'd love something different. Do you expect it to drop early/mid late 2021? It's just a guess but you know more than I do!

JosepPont

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2019
Albaida, Valencian Country
For the 16 inch model my bet is:

• Intel 2,4GHz maybe will be replaced.

• AMD 5500 (both 4 and 8 GB) will be replaced.

• AMD 5600 stays (obviusly).

I do not know if the ARM will come to the 16 inch but we will see at least a GPU refresh on a Intel based.

My prediction is based on the availability and the delivery time

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
13 inches or 13.3 inches? Are the plans for 14" delayed or non existent anymore?
The 14" was never on the table for this year, it was always tied in with the mini LED rumours which are for 2021. '13 inch' MacBooks are always 13.3" 16:10 panels, or have been to date at least. I think we might start seeing custom panels (think iPad Pro) with Apple's new Mac design language from next year, these could well be non-standard sizes made to fit the chassis rather than the other way around.

Reactions: ascender

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
And the 14" next year would be when ? Q4 2021 ? Before ?
Difficult to say, Kuo is still really the only one talking about it in any level of detail and while he's usually good for what's happening, he can often be a bit out on the when. FWIW he says 'Q2 or Q3' next year, and I think he's talking about calendar quarters not Apple's weird offset quarters, so that means a spring event, or WWDC assuming it's not a press release launch. Could just as easily be this time next year if we get new models now anyway, I'd wait until there's more leakers all saying the same things before taking it as read. I would have thought if it was happening in spring, for one we wouldn't be getting a 16" refresh now (assuming it does show up at the event) and also more people would have been reporting it.

Reactions: ascender

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
That’s the thing, we just don’t know. Unfortunately (or fortunately) good leaks on the Mac stuff seem few and far between compared to other Apple stuff.

It appears (according to Gurman) we’re going to get the current lineup (Air, 13“ & 16”) refreshed with Apple Silicon chips first, so like @Falhófnir says, if they do that now, it could be Q4 next year by the time there’s a full re-design with new screen tech etc.

aednichols

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
That’s the thing, we just don’t know. Unfortunately (or fortunately) good leaks on the Mac stuff seem few and far between compared to other Apple stuff.

It appears (according to Gurman) we’re going to get the current lineup (Air, 13“ & 16”) refreshed with Apple Silicon chips first, so like @Falhófnir says, if they do that now, it could be Q4 next year by the time there’s a full re-design with new screen tech etc.
I would guess the iPhone cycle dictates the chip upgrades for Macs to an extent, so if the redesign is in Q4 2021 they can put an A15-derived chip in it.

It doesn’t make sense to me that they would launch an A14-like notebook next week and then re-launch the same A14 in a different enclosure in the spring.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I guess the
I would guess the iPhone cycle dictates the chip upgrades for Macs to an extent, so if the redesign is in Q4 2021 they can put an A15-derived chip in it.

It doesn’t make sense to me that they would launch an A14-like notebook next week and then re-launch the same A14 in a different enclosure in the spring.
We’re assuming the iPhone/iPad chip or a derivative of it will go in the Air?

Part of the unknown is what they’re going to do with the others. Can’t wait to see what they show next week.

I agree though, an upgrade now and then again in the Spring seems unlikely.

aednichols

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
I guess the

We’re assuming the iPhone/iPad chip or a derivative of it will go in the Air?

Part of the unknown is what they’re going to do with the others. Can’t wait to see what they show next week.

I agree though, an upgrade now and then again in the Spring seems unlikely.
Not literally the same chip as the iPhone, but for example the same CPU and GPU cores in greater quantity.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I think it makes sense that Apple starts with the smaller (13") MacBook Pro and the MacBook Air. Don't forger the whole transition will take 2 years (as confirmed by Apple themselves).

I think at Tuesdays event Apple will focus on the MBP and MacBook Air 13". They will talk more about Apple Silicon, probably show off some of it's features in relation to developer apps (Microsoft have recently updated their Office suit for Apple Silicon). The event will likely last an hour (just like the last two events) and a large portion of that will be Apple talking up their new Apple chips. I doubt we will see redesigned Macs.

EmZed

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2020
Just went to look at 16” MacBook Pros on UK store, when trying to buy, now a holding page for pre-orders starting in three hours time. So either an ARM or an upgrade to the Intel 16”. Or both?

Attachments

• 25F569D0-B42D-428F-86E0-B696B4FB0576.jpeg
    25F569D0-B42D-428F-86E0-B696B4FB0576.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 145

EmZed

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2020
Just went to look at 16” MacBook Pros on UK store, when trying to buy, now a holding page for pre-orders starting in three hours time. So either an ARM or an upgrade to the Intel 16”. Or both?
Been pointed out to me that likely to be just iPhone pre-orders. Really annoying when trying check out MacBook Pro buying options

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013

Nope. It’s new iPhones today (mini and Pro Max) also the HomePod Mini.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Yeah, I've never understood why they take the whole store down like that, its very annoying.

Dave Y

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2020
Been pointed out to me that likely to be just iPhone pre-orders. Really annoying when trying check out MacBook Pro buying options

In the Swedish store they took the opportunity to raise prices, 34999 kr to 35092 for higher-end 16”.

ChineseBots

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2019
I was just curious that will the Apple Silicon version of MacBook Pro 13 and MacBook Air ship with same processor?

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I was just curious that will the Apple Silicon version of MacBook Pro 13 and MacBook Air ship with same processor?
I don't expect so, they will probably use the two to show off what Apple Silicon can do when customised for different priorities (cool, or even fanless running and power efficiency in the Air, and for more grunt in the Pro).

Reactions: yanksrock100

John Calvin Young

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2020
Raleigh, NC
Well, Apple left folks waiting for a updated 16" totally in the dark --

Still stuck waiting ;-(
Agreed, I'm waiting around for an upgrade, too. Likely to get the last best Intel MBP and wait out the awkward transition season.

That said, looking at what they demoed today and what is shipping today across Intel/AMD... I'm kinda glad they didn't rev the MBP16 today. I need >32GB of RAM and want as much GPU as they can give me, and while M1 looks interesting, I'd be much more interested in 64GB, 8+4 cores, and a discrete GPU. Which probably means Intel for now.

End of 2020/21Q1 *could possibly* have Tiger Lake-H, or RDNA2 (Radeon Pro 6000), and I'd love to see either or both. Even AMD doesn't have Ryzen 5000H even rumored quite yet, they're expected to be announcing 5000U class processors in January.

Or maybe we just get a press-release rev to Comet Lake-H next week, to avoid taking the shine off of today's event. I don't know. But I was encouraged a bit by their reiteration that 'it'll take a couple of years'. Because that means that they know they've got to keep supporting Intel for a while yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.