Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mhoutman

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2016
Hi all, my MacBook Pro Retina 2012 died after more than 8 years so a couple of weeks ago I ordered a new MBP 16" full spec.

As rumours about a new MBP continue I wonder if it is wise to send it back after arrival (coming days) and wait for November 17th or just enjoy the new machine. In the EU there is a 14 days return policy.

PS This is a bit about asking which color for a new car I should take but anyway…;)

EDIT: It was too temping to cancel the order for the current MBP 16" so I canceled. Now let's see what comes on November 17th :)

Last edited:
Reactions: jplucinsky

MarkAtl

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2019
Hi all, my MacBook Pro Retina 2012 died after more than 8 years so a couple of weeks ago I ordered a new MBP 16" full spec.

As rumours about a new MBP continue I wonder if it is wise to send it back after arrival (coming days) and wait for November 17th or just enjoy the new machine. In the EU there is a 14 days return policy.

PS This is a bit about asking which color for a new car I should take but anyway…;)
If you paid full price then I’d consider waiting. If you got it on sale I can’t imagine more than a CPU spec bump coming out.

Joshel

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2020

Agree, I think you should wait for a new one; moreover, the price of old MBPs will go down right after the release

Reactions: EventsLooped

LastZion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
my Apple Rep just told me this, but I can't see the update she is referring to...

"The last update was in June 2020 that the MacBook Pro 16” was last refreshed.

It is fully upgradeable now with the following configurations, and it is a very powerful and fast MacBook:

• 2.4GHz 8-core Intel Core i9, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz, with 16MB shared L3 cache
  • 32GB or 64GB of 2666MHz DDR4 memory
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 4GB of GDDR6 memory
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5600M with 8GB of HBM2 memory
  • 1TB, 2TB, 4TB or 8TB SSD

We have heard that there may be another refresh - but to be honest we have no firm details and we do not know which Macs will be refreshed.

We do know that Apple will be launching Apple Silicon and ARM."

nameste

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2016
my Apple Rep just told me this, but I can't see the update she is referring to...

"The last update was in June 2020 that the MacBook Pro 16” was last refreshed.

It is fully upgradeable now with the following configurations, and it is a very powerful and fast MacBook:

• 2.4GHz 8-core Intel Core i9, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz, with 16MB shared L3 cache
  • 32GB or 64GB of 2666MHz DDR4 memory
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 4GB of GDDR6 memory
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5600M with 8GB of HBM2 memory
  • 1TB, 2TB, 4TB or 8TB SSD

We have heard that there may be another refresh - but to be honest we have no firm details and we do not know which Macs will be refreshed.

We do know that Apple will be launching Apple Silicon and ARM."
you can get the 16" ,there won't be refresh this year but only 13" will get arm

nobblan

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2020
Sorry if this has been stated a million times but when is a 16" MBP refresh expected? Seems like it's lagging behind the other refreshes? Not bothered if its ARM or not. The current one just seems a bit old.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Sorry if this has been stated a million times but when is a 16" MBP refresh expected? Seems like it's lagging behind the other refreshes? Not bothered if its ARM or not. The current one just seems a bit old.

Just read the last few posts. It’s been responded to more than a million times.

Reactions: ModusOperandi

MarkAtl

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2019
I don’t see why Apple would release a 13” MBP ARM this year when it just was refreshed. Would think the Air or 12” MB replacement should get it first rather than power users?

nameste

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2016

MarkAtl

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2019
Well samething happened in the past.According to kuo 14” will be released in 2021
We will see soon enough.

Just seems silly that Apple FINALLY fixed the keyboard and bumped the spec to 10th Gen for the $1799 model and 6 months later they are replacing it with Apple silicon and discontinuing it.

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
We will see soon enough.

Just seems silly that Apple FINALLY fixed the keyboard and bumped the spec to 10th Gen for the $1799 model and 6 months later they are replacing it with Apple silicon and discontinuing it.

I think it's because they want to have a last good Intel version out of each model before the Apple Silicon ones come out. Makes sense when you think about the 16inch MBP. They very easily could have waited to put those good speakers, return of the good keyboard and the slightly slimmer bezels for the Apple Silicon 16inch MBP that's coming in 2021. I also don't think once the Apple Silicon ones come out that they will discontinue the Intel ones they've just released. I think they will co-exist for a little bit because some people will still need these last Intel models.

Luke_Valley

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2020
At the moment I'm in the same situation: My 13" MBA from 2013 is dying and I need a new notebook for my PhD. Due to screen size I would go for the baseline 16" MBP.
Since I'm still a student I would benefit from the back to school program until the end of this week, which safes me around 100€ (Germany) in comparison to the standard education prices, if I sell the AirPods separately afterwards.
So at this point I don't know if I should go for the current MBP or hope & wait until 17th Nov and pay more.
ARM is no option for me at this point so my only concern is, if apple gonna release an updated model with 10th/11th gen intel CPU.
Can we expect any performance/thermal gains for this CPUs?
Since they updated the GPU already this year, I wouldn't expect to much/anything.
What would you do in my place? Actually, I think the 2019 16"MBP would do fine for me but I don't want to spend that much money if a newer/better version is right around the corner.

Last edited:

EventsLooped

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2020
Bangkok, Thailand
At the moment I'm in the same situation: My 13" MBA from 2013 is dying and I need a new notebook for my PhD. Due to screen size I would go for the baseline 16" MBP.
Since I'm still a student I would benefit from the back to school program until the end of this week, which safes me around 100€ (Germany) in comparison to the standard education prices, if I sell the AirPods separately afterwards.
So at this point I don't know if I should go for the current MBP or hope & wait until 17th Nov and pay more.
ARM is no option for me at this point so my only concern is, if apple gonna release an updated model with 10th/11th gen intel CPU.
Can we expect any performance/thermal gains for this CPUs?
Since they updated the GPU already this year, I wouldn't expect to much/anything.
What would you do in my place? Actually, I think the 2019 16"MBP would do fine for me but I don't want to spend that much money if a newer/better version is right around the corner.

Assuming a non-Arm, Intel 10th gen bump, dont expect anything more than 5% performance bump. I'm more interested in the other changes this refresh will bring: Better webcam, Wifi6 support and improved battery life...

JosepPont

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2019
Albaida, Valencian Country
Yes, I saw the Chinese link. I still don’t see WHY Apple would unnecessarily cannibalize their market. Plus, wouldn’t it be a 14”?
I doubt it. The lack of more rumors, leaks, filtered images or images of models on the Big Sur betas (like the 16" that was finded on Catalina weeks before the launch) makes me sceptic about a big launch of a redesigned machine (or screen). That all Is too strange i think.

LastZion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006

Ah, ok, good to know. Thank you!

I'm going to go with this:

• 2.4GHz8-coreIntelCorei9,TurboBoostupto 5.0GHz
  • AMDRadeonPro5500Mwith8GBofGDDR6 memory
  • 64GB2666MHzDDR4memory
  • 1TBSSDstorage

Reactions: nameste

trancex

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2020
dear collegues, for daily business I'm using windows machine, but for some tasks needed asap a new macbook. I ordered basic model MBP 2020 and my question is, if for basic work with azure cloud, visual code with external monitor 8gb ram will be enough? I know 16gb ram is safety and optimal, but had restricted budget and it was once reason for ordering a new basic model. I also can MBP 2018 with 16gb ram and ssd 512, but is is out of warranty. thanks

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
Ah, ok, good to know. Thank you!

I'm going to go with this:

• 2.4GHz8-coreIntelCorei9,TurboBoostupto 5.0GHz
  • AMDRadeonPro5500Mwith8GBofGDDR6 memory
  • 64GB2666MHzDDR4memory
  • 1TBSSDstorage

Get the 5600M. It's a vastly better computer with the 5600M, and it doesn't have the issues associated with the 5300/5500M.

Reactions: DesertNomad

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
Ok, does it matter that I will never use an external monitor?

In my personal opinion, if someone is investing in a higher spec version and they will use applications that utilize the dGPU, it is definitely worth consideration. Beyond externals, it is way more powerful and efficient, applications that can extensively use the GPU run better, and it yields a lower overall operating temperature (freeing up precious thermal headroom) as well as longer runtimes on battery when using the dGPU. And if you are keeping this system for several years (which I am guessing you are based on your specs), if down the road your situation changes and you want to use this with externals or to run some TVs, now you have the GPU that plays nice with them. Overall, I personally feel the 16-inch is a better system with the 5600M because the 5600M is such a great GPU. Apple and AMD nailed this one.

LastZion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
In my personal opinion, if someone is investing in a higher spec version and they will use applications that utilize the dGPU, it is definitely worth consideration. Beyond externals, it is way more powerful and efficient, applications that can extensively use the GPU run better, and it yields a lower overall operating temperature (freeing up precious thermal headroom) as well as longer runtimes on battery when using the dGPU. And if you are keeping this system for several years (which I am guessing you are based on your specs), if down the road your situation changes and you want to use this with externals or to run some TVs, now you have the GPU that plays nice with them. Overall, I personally feel the 16-inch is a better system with the 5600M because the 5600M is such a great GPU. Apple and AMD nailed this one.

Thank you I appreciate this. In reality I really do not need anywhere near this machine. I am leasing it for a non tech sales job. I do some basic photo editing and web stuff, but really it is a lot of overkill. I just lease them for 36 month. So going from 32 to 64 was $15/month... but thats a dangerous game to play lol

Reactions: HappyIntro

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
So the latest bit of news suggests a 16" refresh is coming soon, which I guess makes sense if they start to move some of their laptop line to ARM this side of Christmas.

There's also been at least one rumour which suggests we're going to see a 13" MacBook Pro at the November event, so that's going to be really interesting to see what they do with it and how it will differentiate from the non-Pro model(s).

Its an interesting time even on here where we have a thread on the 2020 MBP, one for the 2021 MBP and also an Apple Silicon one!

Reactions: zehcnassurfero
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.