Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Tomorrow we will know more about the dGpu from the next intel based 16" Mbp 2020
Amd will be doing an event for RX 6000 Series

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
Tomorrow we will know more about the dGpu from the next intel based 16" Mbp 2020
Amd will be doing an event for RX 6000 Series
I'm very curious if Big Navi will make its way into this update or not. If this updated 16-inch is coming super soon, my inclination is that it will not.

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
I'm very curious if Big Navi will make its way into this update or not. If this updated 16-inch is coming super soon, my inclination is that it will not.
why not? since a lot of times amd presented new gpu with release of new macs

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
why not? since a lot of times amd presented new gpu with release of new macs

Presumably if we are seeing a new 16 inch in say a week or so, manufacturing on the 16-inch probably began at least several months earlier and may predate mobile versions of the Big Navi family being released to OEMs. That's just my guess though and I could be 100% wrong.

Then there is also the question of if we would see a HBM2 (or HBM2e) GPU for the MacBook Pro 16, which arguably needs the 5600M's HBM2 to achieve its full potential.

Reactions: louisitou

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
I keep seeing stuff about an updated 16" MacBook Pro in a week or on the 17th of November, but where are these rumors sourced? Are people just blindly guessing?

R.

LastZion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
Mine I just ordered is going to take 3-4 weeks, so I guess by the time it comes I will have the news of the refresh (or not).

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
I keep seeing stuff about an updated 16" MacBook Pro in a week or on the 17th of November, but where are these rumors sourced? Are people just blindly guessing?

R.
There is a rumored Apple event. That said, even if this rumored event is true, I would not count on this as the date of the announcement. That is likely when Apple Silicon will launch, so I am not sure if Apple would dedicate keynote time to an Intel refresh. They've done 'soft' updates of the 15-inch MacBook Pro before, so if we do see an updated 16-inch, it could be one of those soft updates where they just appear for sale with no real formal press event. It's all still up in the air at the moment.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
I prefer HP keyboard layout with a separate column for Home, End, Page Up and Page Down keys... makes cursor navigation so much easy to use. I was looking forward to this 14" update but now they have replaced the Menu key with a fingerprint reader and I don't think that's the best placement for it. having a physical Menu key there is much more useful than the fingerprint reader since you don't have to use the fingerprint reader very often. Better design would be embedding the fingerprint sensor in the power button or even some other key but not replacing the key itself.
Still good to see 3:2 aspect ratio, it's so much better than 16:9.
hee. check out the newly announced HP 14" Spectre x360 :)

i have a refurb 13" MBP i5 on order, but my sister has now backed out of taking my 2015 so I may just return it. :/

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
As the first Apple Silicon notebook will supposedly be a MacBook Pro, that suggests to me the Arm MacBook Air will handily outperform the Intel 13" Pro so they needed to get that one out first. This does leave me wondering about another Intel 16", Jon Prosser suggested the next iteration would be an Arm machine, for what that's worth. If they were bothering with 10th gen chips I would really have expected them by now, probably when the 5600m graphics update dropped. Tiger Lake is around the corner by now, I expect if they're doing 'one last refresh' with Intel that's what they will aim for?
This is the big question on the 16 inch model- A Tiger Lake H class chip would be worth an upgrade for me.

No sign of the H class chips in time for Nov 17th tho. Not sure what else they could do other than FaceID or MiniLed which are not soonish.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Really need a new computer as my 2013 is not doing well. I have waited for new arm based macs but would rather have a 14 inch over 13.

Looks like next month would be 13 and next year 14. Ugh lol.

Reactions: ModusOperandi

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
This is the big question on the 16 inch model- A Tiger Lake H class chip would be worth an upgrade for me.

No sign of the H class chips in time for Nov 17th tho. Not sure what else they could do other than FaceID or MiniLed which are not soonish.
I would say maybe they were holding on for new graphics, but if a refresh is happening within a month I don’t see that either? Just Comet Lake chips would probably be the most underwhelming update ever, given it could result in a pretty much 0% performance gain ?

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
I would say maybe they were holding on for new graphics, but if a refresh is happening within a month I don’t see that either? Just Comet Lake chips would probably be the most underwhelming update ever, given it could result in a pretty much 0% performance gain ?
I think AMDs got new chips on the 18th. I wouldn't update for just a new gpu either.

Tiger Lake H class, faceID, improved screens...those are the main things missing.
otherwise frankly its a perfect machine

John Calvin Young

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2020
Raleigh, NC
I think AMDs got new chips on the 18th. I wouldn't update for just a new gpu either.

Tiger Lake H class, faceID, improved screens...those are the main things missing.
Yeah, the (sane) things I'm hoping for in a final x86 MBP (and my next machine): RNDA2 and/or Tiger Lake H. And both of those are around better graphics performance, in discrete and integrated mode. I'd love to have both--and if word isn't forthcoming will probably wait around until 1Q21 closes just in case before ordering a 5600M model--but I agree, feels at least a couple months too early for an immediately-shipping model to have either.

Now, if they announce something shipping December 17th? Not out of the realm of possibilities...

Lammers

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
With Apple having declared that it is moving from Intel to AS, I imagine they will be winding down engineering effort on the Intel-based models to essential maintenance/support only, and maximise the engineering resource they can put into AS models. So IMHO people should have low expectations for refreshes for the Intel-based models.

Reactions: JosepPont

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017

I'd also add WiFi 6 to your list, which seems a plausible improvement for an upcoming model. I don't know whether Face ID is feasible in the current chassis, they can barely fit a 720p webcam up there. When you say improved displays, you mean ProMotion, or HDR (mini LED?)? I certainly don't see the latter appearing until the Arm model arrives, I think they will want to hold some carrots back to drive upgrades and get people on board the new platform as quickly as possible.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
I'd also add WiFi 6 to your list, which seems a plausible improvement for an upcoming model. I don't know whether Face ID is feasible in the current chassis, they can barely fit a 720p webcam up there. When you say improved displays, you mean ProMotion, or HDR (mini LED?)? I certainly don't see the latter appearing until the Arm model arrives, I think they will want to hold some carrots back to drive upgrades and get people on board the new platform as quickly as possible.
Man if they hold back Mini Led for Arm I'll be kinda bummed. I had the same thought tho. I think the ARM performance will appealing but I'm hoping I can hold off a year or two with one last Intel H class chip.

zehcnassurfero

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2019
60b52c43b56c55faa9a9bf4f8b0ba9c8.jpg

Here it is

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Im getting the 13.3. Im going crazy over my 2013 MBP. I just want to open 4 tabs without the fan getting so loud lol

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Bloomberg updated their article- looks a lot more vague saying just "2 models" will get ARM which sounds more like what we thought. the 13 inches. Mark if you are reading this.....sloppy sloppy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.