Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
All we got was a mediocre biography. Now we are stuck with this self-appointed Steve Jobs expert. Please stop interviewing him.

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Truth is, I think they just wanted some fresh blood, to shake things up a little.

If anything, Beats is STILL a brilliant marketing move. Also, Iovines and Dres connections are superb. Dre is going to make his buddies wear apple wearables in those rap videos, just like it started with beats headphones.

Dre himself is not that big of an artist anymore. But his producer connections and roots are quite immense. In Black culture, Dre is something of a king. dre is the best buddy of eminem, who is connected to rihanna, etc. Those are some of the biggest music artists out there

Iovine is a pretty smart guy with a lot of connections both in Hollywood and the music industry.

Beats might not be popular, but it does have some pretty smart algorithms and the app is done very well. Might be some engineering talent to get there aswell.

Oh and dont forget the Beats headphones itself, which have become somewhat of an icon.

So no - there is not ONE good answer, that justifies the 3 Billion. BUT there are many diverse things that can turn out to be pretty great for apple. And yes- it is "just" 3 Billion. And that for a company, which is extremly profitable for its size.That is almost a bargain compared to whats app, snapchat and motorola for google...

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
That's because Apple is so behind the times, they are now having to play catchup rather than bring us new ways of looking at the same thing.

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Probably because Apple hasn’t provided an answer to that question, and all we’ve got is a bunch of speculation. Apple execs probably have a better answer. Probably.

Do they need to provide one though? what if they have a plan, for future devices. They probably wont tell people: hey, we bought them for wearables. Or TV. Why give the competition an inside on their strategy?

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
Both companies make mediocre products at inflated prices - it's a perfect fit!

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010

Both companies make products people actually give a **** about. The Beats headphones were designed for a special sort of music.

gmcalpin

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
Somerville, MA
So why not poach him or add him to the board? Was it really worth 3 billion to add him as an executive?
I was skeptical of this at first, but it makes more sense when you realize that Beats has $1.5 billion in revenue per year. You can't buy a company for what it could make in one year.

Essentially, if they don't screw Beats as a brand up, it'll pay for itself in two years.

----------

It's pretty pathetic that you have an account here to talk **** about a company that you clearly have no real interest in.

OtherJesus

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Bay Area, California
Doesn't matter what Steve would have done. He told us not to think about what he would do, but to do what we would do.

I don't think most people fully realize the cultural impact this Apple Beats deal is going to have. Think about how Apple already changed the music industry. Think about how Iovine and Dre have done the same. This merge is sending a signal to the other companies: we are coming to claim what is ours.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Do we really need to know what Steve may or may not have possibly done? He's dead as a door nail. Give it up. It's over.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
No. Steve Jobs tasked him with writing his Biography. Not to speak on his behalf on what he would and would not do for the rest of all time.

When Steve Jobs selected Issacson as the person he trusted to tell his story, he had to know that he would the be a go-to man for Steve stories for a long time to come. The strange part is why anyone would find this to be such a huge mystery.

So like or not, Steve chose him. Time to get over it.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
When Steve Jobs selected Issacson as the person he trusted to tell his story, he had to know that he would the be a go-to man for Steve stories for a long time to come. The strange part is why anyone would find this to be such a huge mystery.

So like or not, Steve chose him. Time to get over it.

No thanks. You missed the point of my previous post clearly. You have no idea what Steve's intentions were for anything beyond writing the biography.

Steve himself did, when he commissioned Isaacson to write his biography.

See my previous post and what I just wrote to IJ

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
No thanks. You missed the point of my previous post clearly. You have no idea what Steve's intentions were for anything beyond writing the biography.

See my previous post and what I just wrote to IJ

Your previous post made no actual point. It only tries to deny that Issacson is going to get calls from the media about Jobs stories, which is obviously both unrealistic and untrue. This is how the media works. I am certain Steve understood that perfectly well, even if you don't.

You also exaggerate Issacson's role in commenting on Apple events to make your non-point. If you actually watch that video, you will hear Issacson relate a story about his discussions with Steve, his love of music, and his relationship with Iovine (something that, as his biographer, he is perfectly qualified to do). You will also hear someone else speculating not only on whether Steve would have done this deal, but how he would have managed the new executives. What his qualifications are to comment on this we have no idea, but because he's not Walter Issacson, nobody seems to care.

In the last year of his life, Steve chose someone to tell his story. That person was Walter Issacson. As I said, whether you like it or not, it really is time to get over it.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Your previous post made no actual point. It only tries to deny that Issacson is going to get calls from the media about Jobs stories, which is obviously both unrealistic and untrue. This is how the media works. I am certain Steve understood that perfectly well, even if you don't.

You also exaggerate Issacson's role in commenting on Apple events to make your non-point. If you actually watch that video, you will hear Issacson relate a story about his discussions with Steve, his love of music, and his relationship with Iovine (something that, as his biographer, he is perfectly qualified to do). You will also hear someone else speculating not only on whether Steve would have done this deal, but how he would have managed the new executives. What his qualifications are to comment on this we have no idea, but because he's not Walter Issacson, nobody seems to care.

In the last year of his life, Steve chose someone to tell his story. That person was Walter Issacson. As I said, whether you like it or not, it really is time to get over it.

What exactly do I need to get over. I accept that Isaacson was chosen to write Steve's biography. I've gotten over how poorly I think it was written as well. I just find it silly that he's a go-to guy to comment on what Steve Jobs would or would not approve of, like, think, etc. No one knows that except Steve Jobs - and he's dead.

I'm well aware of how the media works - I won't say a lot more than you because then I'd be making an assumption that you've made in your post.

There's nothing for me to "get over." I think it's silly to tell people to get over something when you clearly can't get over people differing in opinion fro m yours on this subject. See what I did there?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Hopefully in a couple of years its integrated in iTunes. That way I can upload my iTunes Match songs to Beats and get music that I have that's still not available to download or stream on these services.

That $99 annual payment should include iTunes Match.

But once again, Apple will have 2 apps on their phone who's job it is to play music. Contacts+Phone app. It's getting silly really.

aleksoctop

macrumors regular
May 8, 2011
I could see Iovine fitting into Apple well, but what the hell are they going to do with the Dre, who has a degree in what, smoking weed?

OtherJesus

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Bay Area, California
I wouldn't mind seeing Apple do another iPod Classic band edition.

I really want to the classic reborn and this could be a cool way to do that, especially with the Beats acquisition. Just some random thoughts...

Seems like the classic is due to disappear this year as it will be the only device left with a 30 pin and old ear buds.

Or does the shuffle come with the old ear buds still?

----------

I could see Iovine fitting into Apple well, but what the hell are they going to do with the Dre, who has a degree in what, smoking weed?
What did Jobs have a degree in? LSD?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
What exactly do I need to get over. I accept that Isaacson was chosen to write Steve's biography. I've gotten over how poorly I think it was written as well. I just find it silly that he's a go-to guy to comment on what Steve Jobs would or would not approve of, like, think, etc. No one knows that except Steve Jobs - and he's dead.

I'm well aware of how the media works - I won't say a lot more than you because then I'd be making an assumption that you've made in your post.

There's nothing for me to "get over." I think it's silly to tell people to get over something when you clearly can't get over people differing in opinion fro m yours on this subject. See what I did there?

Yes, Steve is dead. I wish the entire WWSD? thing would go away entirely. It's inane at face value. Even if anyone could know what Steve would have done, the answer could hardly be less relevant to what Apple is doing today. In fact it's worse than irrelevant, it's a distraction.

Yet this obvious fact doesn't seem to prevent that discussion from happening around here probably a hundred times a day. Nobody seems to think it's a problem except when the person answering the question is Walter Issacson. I would call this highly ironic, for reasons I hope I don't have to explain.

So in reality, the only "differing opinion" you are offering here is that you dislike Walter Issacson and it totally pisses you off every time somebody asks him to be a talking head somewhere, as if this should surprise you even in the least. I don't see a good reason for any of this, so perhaps it is something you really should get over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.