Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
I'm not being funny. Who gives a flying fig what Steve would or wouldn't have done. It doesn't matter. He's in a hole in the ground. People at Apple have to make their own decisions.

----------

Shut up already, Walter.

This x10000 and the same with any person who talks about what Steve would do.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
No he wouldn't.

You never met Steve, Walter did. Yea you know what Steve would do...:rolleyes:

Who made him the voice of Steve Jobs?

Steve.

All we got was a mediocre biography. Now we are stuck with this self-appointed Steve Jobs expert. Please stop interviewing him.

See comments above.

No. Steve Jobs tasked him with writing his Biography. Not to speak on his behalf on what he would and would not do for the rest of all time.

Looks like IJ already said more or less what I wanted to say. But bottom line is Walter Isaacson knew Steve more than most people did. So yes, he was more of a "voice" for Steve Jobs that your average Joe.

Shut up already, Walter.

I'm not being funny. Who gives a flying fig what Steve would or wouldn't have done. It doesn't matter. He's in a hole in the ground. People at Apple have to make their own decisions.

----------

This x10000 and the same with any person who talks about what Steve would do.

You two seemed to be getting pretty worked up for this. lol. :D:rolleyes:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
and it totally pisses you off every time somebody asks him to be a talking head somewhere, as if this should surprise you even in the least. I don't see a good reason for any of this, so perhaps it is something you really should get over.

You know - you're a smart guy. I know you are. And I agree with everything you said up until this statement. I don't think I've ever stated or implied I was pissed off. I find the practice of quote-getting from Isaacson silly. It doesn't "totally piss me off or even piss me off. I find it silly.

Looks like IJ already said more or less what I wanted to say. But bottom line is Walter Isaacson knew Steve more than most people did. So yes, he was more of a "voice" for Steve Jobs that your average Joe.

Got it - so you'd be ok with Isaacson being "asked" to provide his opinion on what Steve Jobs would or would not say or think until Isaacson himself passes away? Just curious what the statute of limitations is on his "authority" on the subject of someone who is dead and even if he were alive wouldn't be likely to tell you how he would respond years from now.

JVo

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
Yes, I really wish Isaacson would stop thinking he's qualified to comment on transactions "channeling" Jobs, the news media would stop asking him, and people to stop worrying WWSJD.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Steve Jobs would never have agreed with Walter Isaccson that Steve Jobs would have supported Beats Acquisition!

:rolleyes:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
You know - you're a smart guy. I know you are. And I agree with everything you said up until this statement. I don't think I've ever stated or implied I was pissed off. I find the practice of quote-getting from Isaacson silly. It doesn't "totally piss me off or even piss me off. I find it silly..

I don't want to attribute any opinions to you that you haven't expressed, so my apologies if I you believe I have. You did express the opinion that Issacson's book was poorly written. Perhaps it wasn't your intended meaning, but to me this suggested that you feel Walter Issacson isn't any kind of authority on Steve Jobs. This seems like a bold statement, one that is not only very difficult to support, but carries a clear implication that you find Issacson's media persistence to be irksome.

Personally, I find the entire cable TV talking head regime extremely annoying (which is why I never watch it). Most of the people they find to fill the time with gabbing aren't even qualified to talk about what they had for lunch. So while I wouldn't give Issacson a total pass for appearing on these programs, at least he wrote a book on the subject he is asked to comment upon. That alone exceeds my low expectations.

For the record, I had a few problems with his book on Jobs, but overall felt it was fine.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Perhaps it wasn't your intended meaning, but to me this suggested that you feel Walter Issacson isn't any kind of authority on Steve Jobs. This seems like a bold statement, one that is not only very difficult to support, but carries a clear implication that you find Issacson's media persistence to be irksome.

No - I didn't mean to imply he isn't "any" kind of authority. I think on the topics he spoke to Jobs about and in the context of the time at which he "interviewed" Jobs he's probably as close you can get to an expert aside from those that worked for him. And they will only know or be biased by their relationship.

However I just don't believe that translates to anything and everything going forward.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
No - I didn't mean to imply he isn't "any" kind of authority. I think on the topics he spoke to Jobs about and in the context of the time at which he "interviewed" Jobs he's probably as close you can get to an expert aside from those that worked for him. And they will only know or be biased by their relationship.

However I just don't believe that translates to anything and everything going forward.

I agree with that, but as I said before, most of what he talked about was Steve's love of music and his relationship with Iovine. The MR headline would have you thinking it was all about him channeling Steve.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Steve himself did, when he commissioned Isaacson to write his biography.

Well, duh, I realize that. But writing a biography doesn't mean the person can speak on behalf of that person.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
It just feels like such a fad. Some sources say that the Beats headphones cost $14.00 to make and rate at the bottom of similar products. Why are people buying these crappy headphones? Soon more people will ask the same thing. Then it will be a worthless acquisition.

I'm not saying that Beats headphones aren't crap, but how much they cost to make isn't really relevant. The iPhone 5s reportedly carried a sub-$200 BOM and manufacturing cost at launch, and a contract-free model goes for $800-900. Is this a ripoff? Most people in these boards (myself included) and dozens of million of consumers don't think so.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I would like to hear Ashton Kutcher's opinion on this matter.

You sir put a smile on my face !

----------

You never met Steve, Walter did. Yea you know what Steve would do...:rolleyes:

Lol. Just cause you met a person and spend sometime with them you know what they would do....:rolleyes:

Do you think that isaacson is just milking it a little these days ?

I hope he is better at mind reading than he is at writing autobiographies !

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
...Some sources say that the Beats headphones cost $14.00 to make and rate at the bottom of similar products.

Why are people buying these crappy headphones?....

That is the $3bn Dollar question, is it not?. If Iovine has the answer...

MacPhilosopher

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Phoenix
Yes...but..

I think people need to stand back and give this deal some room to breath. It is done, let's hope for the best. It's too late to second guess, so let's all pitch in and help make it successful.

I don't get why it's anything other than a business and marketing move. It certainly isn't for the technology or engineers behind the tech. Perhaps Apple wants to get into the headphone business. Personally, I think most of the headphones in the beats category are overpriced for their mediocre performance. Apple is buying Beats' market share, not the tech.

DanPhillips

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2009
I don't get why the 3 billion is such a crazy number, other than it being their highest paid acquisition. Beats did about $1.5 billion in revenue last year. Even if only 1/3 of that is profit, and sales are stagnant, it won't take too long for them to recoup. While also getting the other benefits of the business.

"Even if only 1/3 of that is profit" - 33% would be an incredible margin. As a reference, Apple's margin is currently just above 21%.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=aapl+Key+Statistics

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
I was skeptical of this at first, but it makes more sense when you realize that Beats has $1.5 billion in revenue per year. You can't buy a company for what it could make in one year.

Essentially, if they don't screw Beats as a brand up, it'll pay for itself in two years.

Revenues and profits are two different things.
I would not be surprised when Cook finds out that beats books were cooked.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
"Even if only 1/3 of that is profit" - 33% would be an incredible margin. As a reference, Apple's margin is currently just above 21%.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=aapl+Key+Statistics

That's Profit Margin, one of only three different ways of expressing profits and margins. The figure reported with earnings reports is Gross Margin, which for Apple was 39.4% last quarter. This is the best way of expressing the free cash generated by products sold.

----------

The Random Web Site Knows All theory at work.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I said in another thread that with this acquisition Apple gets to complete for music revenue on Android for the first time, without actually acknowledging that Android is chewing into their business, and without having to put an Apple branded app into Google Play.

WilliamDu

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Beats Earphones

It is to be hoped that no one at Apple expects to make a profit selling
hugely overpriced Beats earphones of questionable quality when quite a few excellent phones are available for under $100.

I'll give them about six months with either Beats or Apple tags on them until CR and word of mouth catch up with them.

Dre and Iovine will need to exert some magic to be worth $3B.

Cook may have made his first big boo boo.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Pretty sure Jobs would've said no to spending $3 Billion on beats, and whatever the reason for buying it he would've done in-house. Probably by working people 24/7.

----------

I heard U2 had to be talked around to do the U2 iPod. Doesn't Bono look happy in that shot. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.