Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
Is Walter trying to squeeze as much as he can out of Jobs death or does he think Steve is living through his body?

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Doesn't get to the point of my question. Why did they need him that badly? Why is the best answer we can get for the acquisition "Well, Beats isn't a bad business?"

You are getting plenty of answers. You just are ignoring them or are otherwise not absorbing them.

1. Apple needs a ready-for-showtime streaming music service, without busting the bank (as Spotify would). CHECK.

2. Apple could certainly use more leadership with pull in the music business. CHECK.

3. The headphone business is solid and justifies most of the cost of the acquisition.

The world is a complex place and if you need a single simple answer for anything, you are not going to be satisfied. This deal is actually pretty simple, but you need to be able to process 1+1+1=3.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
You are getting plenty of answers. You just are ignoring them or are otherwise not absorbing them.

1. Apple needs a ready-for-showtime streaming music service, without busting the bank (as Spotify would). CHECK.

2. Apple could certainly use more leadership with pull in the music business. CHECK.

3. The headphone business is solid and justifies most of the cost of the acquisition.

The world is a complex place and if you need a single simple answer for anything, you are not going to be satisfied. This deal is actually pretty simple, but you need to be able to process 1+1+1=3.

Actually, watching the recode conference shows me it's none of those. They seem to think curation is the next secret sauce for music sales. That makes sense to me and I'm curious how it will develop.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
The staff of the local mango smoothie shoppe knew him better than most too. :)

Yeah but one spends 5 minutes selling him a smoothie. The other ones spends days talking about and writing down notes about his life. You could learn a thing or two about a person's preferences and values doing that.

Isaacson is a Steve Jobs expert... more than most.

edever

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2009
Midwest USA
...does he think Steve is living through his body?

That's silly, of course he doesn't think that.

What people need to realize is that an authorized biography was not the only result of the time that Walter spent interviewing Steve. It also resulted in an awakening of sorts, a certain change in perspective for Walter. He soon came to feel, in a deeply intimate way, that there is a little Steve inside of everyone.

Gently knocking on our hearts. We just have to let him in.

zedzded

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
Perth, Australia
That's silly, of course he doesn't think that.

What people need to realize is that an authorized biography was not the only result of the time that Walter spent interviewing Steve. It also resulted in an awakening of sorts, a certain change in perspective for Walter. He soon came to feel, in a deeply intimate way, that there is a little Steve inside of everyone.

Gently knocking on our hearts. We just have to let him in.

Eh? I'm only half way through his book and he's making him out to be a complete asshat!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.