Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I see many people complaining about “clickbait headline”. Well. Sure. The headline is written in a way that makes you click on it. Macrumors is a business and has to make money. This comes from ad support. Ad dollars are dependent on number of clicks. If you like macrumors, support them by clicking on articles. If you don’t like macrumors, what are you doing here?
To me the headline reads as 'If ear cushions are defective Apple' warranty won't replace them'. If that's the story than this is fine. If it's not than it's poorly worded. However, I am not sure I would call it clickbait. To me clickbait would sound more like 'You won't believe what Apple's warranty doesn't cover if you spend over $500 on their new AirPods'.

Last edited:

yojason

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2011
SoCal
It’s because Apple doesn’t want to be responsible for your ear cushions while your AirPods are being looked at. Plus, that’s gross.

Reactions: KeithBN

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
This must just be for replacements that are mailed to the customer.

When I was at the Apple Store a week ago getting my iPhone 12 replaced, the person next to me was getting the AirPods Max replaced. The genius opened a brown shipping box, and inside was a brand new retail packaged set of AirPods Max. They opened them up, took the headphones out and did their exchange.

Edit: Should note that the person was saying something about the battery dying in a couple of hours.

I've often found that in-store Apple warranty service doesn't necessarily stick to the limitations of official Apple policy. I often get some little freebie.

Reactions: citysnaps

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Oh here we go again with the "Just buy the Sony, they are better" nonsense.

Reading this article by chance, I’m the type of guy who spends $10-20 on SkullCandy or Sony earbuds. I still don’t do wireless and won’t ever spend that kind of money just for better sound and convenience.

So I’m curious - is there really no compatible Sony product that is much lower priced? I’m assuming there must be, and my favorite wired earbuds have always been Sony, they have great sound for the price IMO...

Toratek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
The Sony equivalent does actually have (proven, measured) superior SQ and ANC, but the Apple unit connects to Apple devices faster, and offers the gimmicky spatial feature. The Sony also is much lighter in mass, folds to a more compact size, and comes with a far better case- all for nearly half the street price.

That is why so many people comment about it in threads like these.

• Haha
Reactions: KeithBN

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
When I got my AirPod Pro replaced at the AppleStore, they also gave me new „tips“ but he asked me to hand over the used ones that I had currently stuck on my broken AirPods. I couldn’t believe Apple was so cheap

bobmans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2020
Breaking news, company replaces defect parts.

When my phone breaks the warranty replacement doesn't come with a new charging cable.
When my airpods break the warranty replacement doesn't come with a new charging case/cable.
When my watch breaks the warranty replacement doesn't come with a new watch band.
When my car breaks in warranty they only replace the broken parts.
When my kidneys break I don't get a whole new body.

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
The Sony equivalent does actually have (proven, measured) superior SQ and ANC, but the Apple unit connects to Apple devices faster, and offers the gimmicky spatial feature. The Sony also is much lighter in mass, folds to a more compact size, and comes with a far better case- all for nearly half the street price.

That is why so many people comment about it in threads like these.
I have read many reviews and I would say the consensus is the APMs are actually a tad better at ANC, SQ and build quality than the plastic Sony XM4, but the difference is pretty small and certainly does not justify in any way shape or form the ludicrous price difference or the horrible joke of a case. The same consensus is you should get the Sony XM4.

kristof46

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2015
Apple is so cheap. If they are wet inside pads probably had a contact with water. So IMO they should replace whole headphones with pads. Unbelievable.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
This isn't really news. But thanks for the info.

However, when I brought my AirPods Pro for recall last September, the Genius bar gave me a ton of replacement ear tips...

coredev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2012
Bavaria
Forum members will of course spin this into "Apple is cheap and doesn't care about the customer", but economically (and also environmentally) it makes sense to only replace/repair/ship the part that's broken.

Reactions: citysnaps

coredev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2012
Bavaria
Apple is SAVING THE ENVIORNMENT.
Actually they are in a way. Shipping without the ear cushions makes for a smaller box and less weight, less waste (if they replaced the used cushions with new ones), overall less parts to produce.
Of course it's also an economic benefit for Apple, but that's what it should be, helping the environment and reducing cost is a win-win.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Reading this article by chance, I’m the type of guy who spends $10-20 on SkullCandy or Sony earbuds. I still don’t do wireless and won’t ever spend that kind of money just for better sound and convenience.

So I’m curious - is there really no compatible Sony product that is much lower priced? I’m assuming there must be, and my favorite wired earbuds have always been Sony, they have great sound for the price IMO...

How is that relevant to this article?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Apple is so cheap. If they are wet inside pads probably had a contact with water. So IMO they should replace whole headphones with pads. Unbelievable.

Perfectly believable and not uncommon. See post 58.

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
Does this mean the old cushions still have a notch, don't run Flash, and don't come with a wall charger?

Asking for a friend.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
next up... Airpod pro repair doesn't include silicon tips!!

seriously apple... selling 500+ headphone... are you really too cheap to give user a new cushion?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
If in 10 years time your Apple car needs to be replaced, I wonder if you will need to remove your seats to refit into the replacement car ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.