Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Thanks a lot for the feedback @mollyc. I knew this pictures doesn’t really fit the theme but I was totally confused about what to post. And as always awesome judging and congratulations everyone. Looking forward to the competition for next week.

Reactions: mollyc

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Congrats to those on the podium ! and thanks for the feedback . My 70th coincided with the first date of the contest (the 19th) . A very close friend pestered me to knock something together to enter , so I did . Certainly not the best image I've ever posted on this board.

globalist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2009
@globalist - I guess this is a literal fall translation? I mean, otherwise it's to go burning into the night of life...

Not sure what you mean. It's an old guy (you could say he's in the autumn of his life) setting up a little bonfire in the forest to prepare his lunch (the sausages).

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Oh gosh! I've just read and reread the results, and I'm actually trembling with excitement :)

Thank you very much for your kind comments; and yes, I love my Lensbaby as well. It's one of my reasons for keeping a Nikon camera, in fact I'm just about to dip into Z land with the prospect of focus peaking ;)

It was a great theme and I like the way it made people think about their entries, so there was a high quality of submissions.

Give me a day and I will come up with a new theme for the next challenge.

[automerge]1572249187[/automerge]
I've added some likes to the entries now as they are all really good shots ;)

Where next, difficult and challenging, or easy and popular?

Cheers :)

Hugh

Last edited:
Reactions: needfx and mollyc

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
darn it - hit enter too soon. hang on.

______

That's a wrap! I loved all the varied entries! Creative thinking is where it's at!

@globalist - I guess this is a literal fall translation? I mean, otherwise it's to go burning into the night of life....I like the smoke coming off the fire, the highlights are blown, which drops it down a peg for me.

@akash.nu - a spectacular sunset! I am always amazed at the photos you capture with your phone. Based on your description, it seems more of a temporary issue, rather than a drawn out season, but it's still lovely nonetheless.

@deep diver - a beautiful tribute to aging with your best friend. No matter that it's a "new" relationship, love is sweet at any age.

@Hughmac - I'm always a sucker for a lensbaby image, and we just picked apples yesterday. Plus I love your double meaning as a description

@Robotti - Lovely leaves and fall tones. You do always find the bendiest subjects and pose them in such beautiful locations. Skintones seem a bit too magenta to me, but that is perhaps on purpose

@Strider64 - another whimiscal entry of the aging process. So nice that your dad still has a sense of humor.

@oblomow - your image and focus are definitely on theme and I like the different concept for this image. I admit baby birds freak me out with their weird eyes but that won't detract from your image. :)

@maflynn - this is such an interesting, almost monochromatic image. It seems quite otherworldly.

@needfx - I'm not sure this quite hits the theme for me - the vintage car with the newer wreath and bow seems at cross purposes, but the image itself is well executed.

@Janichsan - such lovely foliage, definitely on theme for a literal translation. I like the play of light throughout the leaves.

@Indydenny - a clever take for the theme! I love the depth of field in this image

@tizeye - I like the leading line you used for all the RVs, rather than just shooting one straight one. One small CC is I wish you'd rotated slightly to the right to get in all of the right most RV and the back end of the trailer on the left.

@redshifted - lovely leaf and slow shutter speed. I'm partial to that orange color

@Clix Pix - I like the single leaf caught in both the light and the water. Would love to see the shadows on this raised just a bit but I also like the framing you used.

@kenoh - I like the simplicity of this, but admit it seems really quite underexposed to me - I can barely make out the fall color. Would love to see this brightened and warmed up a bit.

@someoldguy - a nice, lighthearted approach to this challenge. :) Happy birthday, whenever it was!

Okay, time for the lineup!

Third: @oblomow
Second: @Indydenny
First: @Hughmac I admit I knew this was a contender the first time I saw it. I just love the LB blur.

On to the next!

Lol. Thank you for your comment. I agree.... but..... this is Scotland and this is what it is like at this time of year - mainly dark and gloomy... :) I did try a brighter version but it just didn't look right compared to how I remember it.
[automerge]1572252286[/automerge]
Oh gosh! I've just read and reread the results, and I'm actually trembling with excitement :)

Thank you very much for your kind comments; and yes, I love my Lensbaby as well. It's one of my reasons for keeping a Nikon camera, in fact I'm just about to dip into Z land with the prospect of focus peaking ;)

It was a great theme and I like the way it made people think about their entries, so there was a high quality of submissions.

Give me a day and I will come up with a new theme for the next challenge.

[automerge]1572249187[/automerge]
I've added some likes to the entries now as they are all really good shots ;)

Where next, difficult and challenging, or easy and popular?

Hugh

Remember that easy and popular will bring out more images, subsequently it means more work for you. Just saying.
[automerge]1572252543[/automerge]
How come my post was deleted? what happened?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hughmac

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Not sure what you mean. It's an old guy (you could say he's in the autumn of his life) setting up a little bonfire in the forest to prepare his lunch (the sausages).

I am sorry that I did not see the symbolism in your photo. I can only blame it on rushing through after being away from the weekend. It's quite clear now that you point it out. :)

Lol. Thank you for your comment. I agree.... but..... this is Scotland and this is what it is like at this time of year - mainly dark and gloomy... :) I did try a brighter version but it just didn't look right compared to how I remember it.
[automerge]1572252286[/automerge]

Well I've never been to Scotland, but gloomy to me doesn't mean black, just more sort of grey. And actually gloomy weather where I come from typically brings out the colors. But I did love the vantage point and composition. :)

How come my post was deleted? what happened?

What kind of a post did you have deleted? I had a notification the other day that I had a post removed from this thread that was off topic.....I have no idea what post it was or why it would have been considered off topic.....Still scratching my head on that one.

Last edited:

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I am sorry that I did not see the symbolism in your photo. I can only blame it on rushing through after being away from the weekend. It's quiet clear now that you point it out. :)

Well I've never been to Scotland, but gloomy to me doesn't mean black, just more sort of grey. And actually gloomy weather where I come from typically brings out the colors. But I did love the vantage point and composition. :)

What kind of a post did you have deleted? I had a notification the other day that I had a post removed from this thread that was off topic.....I have no idea what post it was or why it would have been considered off topic.....Still scratching my head on that one.

This is exactly what I have got today for this thread.

"What kind of a post did you have deleted? I had a notification the other day that I had a post removed from this thread that was off topic.....I have no idea what post it was or why it would have been considered off topic.....Still scratching my head on that one. "

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
This is exactly what I have got today for this thread.

"What kind of a post did you have deleted? I had a notification the other day that I had a post removed from this thread that was off topic.....I have no idea what post it was or why it would have been considered off topic.....Still scratching my head on that one. "

@maflynn is an moderator. Maybe he knows? Maybe it was a glitch?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There were a number of posts that were removed as it appeared to start derailing the thread from the intended purpose.

Reactions: kenoh and mollyc

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
There were a number of posts that were removed as it appeared to start derailing the thread from the intended purpose.

Thanks for your reply. Our challenge and POTD often veer off track a bit, but we always get back on course. Seems like an odd thread to pull posts from since we tend to be a generally small group.

Reactions: needfx and kenoh

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Congratulations to the winners, looking forward to next week's challenge. @mollyc, you have no idea how close to reality that was as I am about to formally retire and tranition to more travel and landscape photography. While the cost posted on those Class A is an issue, I'm not retiring to drive a 40' bus. I have been looking more at Class C at 1/3 the price and around 25' length. But, I knew this dealer had them angle parked and not straight in 'block' parked like the others, so went there for the photo. Probably should have forgotten about even trying to show the second/opposite row of other vehicles and concentrated on the single row as you suggested. Showing more of the side, and also step out (and back) a couple of steps for a better angle of the line.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Congratulations to the winners, looking forward to next week's challenge. @mollyc, you have no idea how close to reality that was as I am about to formally retire and tranition to more travel and landscape photography. While the cost posted on those Class A is an issue, I'm not retiring to drive a 40' bus. I have been looking more at Class C at 1/3 the price and around 25' length. But, I knew this dealer had them angle parked and not straight in 'block' parked like the others, so went there for the photo. Probably should have forgotten about even trying to show the second/opposite row of other vehicles and concentrated on the single row as you suggested. Showing more of the side, and also step out (and back) a couple of steps for a better angle of the line.

My parents had a series of RVs when I was a kid and we'd go out once a year, but always to the same location, never just on big travel trips. I have mixed memories about those times, but as parents, I hope to take our kids out one year to Montana, etc. to see some big sky country (okay, this is my dream, not my husband's and he'd be the one to have to drive it! ?). But we would just rent one for a few weeks.

Happy almost retirement!

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
My parents had a series of RVs when I was a kid and we'd go out once a year, but always to the same location, never just on big travel trips. I have mixed memories about those times, but as parents, I hope to take our kids out one year to Montana, etc. to see some big sky country (okay, this is my dream, not my husband's and he'd be the one to have to drive it! ?). But we would just rent one for a few weeks.

Happy almost retirement!
Actually, we've just bought a 20' fun bus for trips out and overnight stays. It's well laid out with all the services needed for going off grid, although there is a very good network of sites in the UK, and it is large enough to be comfortable with just the two of us and 2 dogs, but not too large to be unwieldy.

Hugh

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I am sorry that I did not see the symbolism in your photo. I can only blame it on rushing through after being away from the weekend. It's quite clear now that you point it out. :)

I got the same thing on Thursday or Friday. I know that everything I posted wss on topic. I hope we don't have a new moderator overdoing the job.

EDIT:. I posted this before I read all of the new posts. Perhaps maflynn can educate the moderator.

Last edited:
Reactions: kenoh and mollyc

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
What Molly described as "always to the same location" is the basis and motivation I have for my first e-book in the process of writing and hopefully have published by Christmas. Will let this group know when the 'free download' week is at Amazon. It is amazing how people come to Disney World every year and think they have seen Florida. Hughmac, sounds great and have fun. With my annual Swiss trips to spoil the grandchild, I know European RV and trailers are slightly different, but at 20' that sound like what we refer to as a Class B which is a little too cramped (but great driving characteristics) with the extensive miles we typically travel. With England about the size of Alabama and Georgia combined, our former British neighbors from when we lived in the UK can't believe we drive from Florida to Connecticut with an overnight at the NC/Virginia line. Looking more at the Class C (think box over cab like a U-Haul truck) as just can't think of re-convering the bed to seating every day in the Class B...even if staying put. The majority (and least expensive) are built with the Ford V10 on an E350/E450 chassis (bombproof) and probably the best choice for Molly to rent due to Montana is one area where the clean biodiesel meeting Mercedes specification is difficult to find. The Mercedes would provide a better driving experience for her husband. I would be looking at the Mercedes Sprinter (or Ford Transit) based Class C as closer to the driving experience of the Class B van, and more refined than that high revving, noisy 6.3 liter V10 which Ford has used for decades and about to replace with a 7.2 liter V8 reaching maximum torque at lower revs.

Reactions: Hughmac and mollyc

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Looking at your classes, I'd say we have a small Class C, purpose built rather than a van conversion, with over cab double berth and an L shaped lounge to the rear that makes another double. A proper toilet room with shower, kitchen area, loads and loads of storage, 2.8l turbo diesel engine.
I've driven Sprinter vans in my job and it doesn't feel much different on the road.

Anyway, the idea behind it is to see more of our country (pin in the map trips) and hopefully be able to more fully use the camera gear I have.

Hugh

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Wonderful theme for a contest and thoughtful and positive judging, @mollyc, so very well done.

Personally, I loved @deep diver's moving yet uplifting take on 'old love' - you hear so much about young love, that it is quite lovely (all puns intended) to see the older version acknowledged and rendered with such sweet (yet respectful) attention and care.

Others that appealed to me were the stunning colours of @Janichsan's shot, and @Indydenny's terrific and powerful image - older ladies owning what they do don't feature half enough in photographic images. And, I love apples and the colours of autumn, so very well done @Hughmac on your No 1 spot on the podium.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.