Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sam Marks

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2019
My recently purchased iMac i9 Vega 48 has also died today after 14 days. Today it started to restart randomly and increasingly. It went mad and died. I think that the GPU or the mother board could be defective from factory.

28Gauge

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2011
DFW
My recently purchased iMac i9 Vega 48 has also died today after 14 days. Today it started to restart randomly and increasingly. It went mad and died. I think that the GPU or the mother board could be defective from factory.

That is certainly beyond disappointing. Please post when you find out what caused your iMac to fail.

Sam Marks

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2019
That is certainly beyond disappointing. Please post when you find out what caused your iMac to fail.
Thank you. I will post the causes of this failure or any related news. Before it died I checked the RAM, the USB ports, the SSD status (from the system report), and they seemed to be OK. I have the machine as it was shipped from factory for the return for repair process. During these days it has worked OK. It was today that the iMac started to fail and randomly reboot and it finally died. It is very strange.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Did you need to post in multiple threads and create your own to tell everyone this?

nemoryoliver

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2013
Philippines
Ordered the mid-tier 27" model but upgraded the CPU to i9. Everything else is the base configuration. My super regret is not upgrading the fusion drive to ssd. I didn't know that SSD's have new and faster kinds like the M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD's. I only knew the 2.5" SATA SSD's since my first iMac upgrade. And now I can't return it because it's a policy of the shop I bought. I hope the fusion drive will be enough for Software Development

mathemabeat

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
Replaced my 2018 Mac Mini + Vega 56 eGPU with a 2019 3.7GHz i5 with RX580X graphics iMac.

I picked up the high end retail version as the 2TB fusion drive doesn't bother me (had it previously on 2 other iMacs). I keep all my Final Cut libraries on a USB-C SSD for editing.

IMG_2263.jpg

alisalem

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2013
Mississauga, ON
Finally got my first iMac, a refurbished 27 inch with:
- i5 3.7 GHz
- 8 GB RAM
- 580X
- 512 GB SSD

I'm a bit salty about the i5's lack of Hyper Threading having mainly used i7's in the past, but the performance is comparable to a MacBook i9, so that's ok. I mainly do UI/UX Design, so I don't really need the extra cores. The apps I use are not graphically demanding either so the 580X should be fine.

I also bought these:
Crucial 32 GB RAM
Crucial 2 TB SSD
VanTec USB-C enclosure

Rupert Beehsley

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2017
Another purchaser of the i5 3.7, 580x and 512gb ssd. Got it yesterday, installed 16bg RAM from Crucial and all works great. The price gap between the three models becomes less when you replace the fusion drive with the ssd making the top i5 model seem the bess VFM.

whosthis

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
Finally ordered my machine to replace the cMP 5,1 that served me well (still does, actually).

Maxed out 27 i9 it will be with VESA mount, with RAM obviously ordered 3rd party.

Fortunately, the i9 didn't show up in the refurb shop here, or the VESA would have been a ridiculous 600 Euro upgrade. :confused:

Thanks everyone for the input to make up my decision.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Refurb 2019 5k 27' i9/ 8G RAM / 1TB SSD / Vega 48 at $2929, threw in 32gb of Micron memory. Also tossed on Apple Care.

will say, the fan does make its self known... but isn't consistently on.

the screen change from 2013 model, which is the last of the non retina models, was worth it. sadly the lack of nvidia support really pushed me into a new machine. the only driver available is Apple's and it was a drop back in ability.

Reactions: Sooby

Teemuhyn

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016
Finally ordered one as the SSD is now cheaper. Specs are Core i9, Radeon Pro Vega 48, 1Tb SSD, 8GB RAM (I will buy 2x16GB so total ram will be 40GB).

I got the education discount and Beats Studio3 Wireless Over-Ear headset and Apple Care -20% discount.

This iMac will hopefully serve me for many years. I currently have late-2013 iMac and can’t wait to see the new one as the current one don’t have 5K screen.

28Gauge

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2011
DFW
Finally ordered one as the SSD is now cheaper. Specs are Core i9, Radeon Pro Vega 48, 1Tb SSD, 8GB RAM (I will buy 2x16GB so total ram will be 40GB).

I got the education discount and Beats Studio3 Wireless Over-Ear headset and Apple Care -20% discount.

This iMac will hopefully serve me for many years. I currently have late-2013 iMac and can’t wait to see the new one as the current one don’t have 5K screen.

I’m looking at the same setup minus the Vega 48 via the Education Store. What sort of shipping time frame did Apple give you?

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Replaced my 2018 Mac Mini + Vega 56 eGPU with a 2019 3.7GHz i5 with RX580X graphics iMac.

I picked up the high end retail version as the 2TB fusion drive doesn't bother me (had it previously on 2 other iMacs). I keep all my Final Cut libraries on a USB-C SSD for editing.

View attachment 848322
An editor using a fusion drive in 2019 hurts my soul.
[doublepost=1563420947][/doublepost]
I’m looking at the same setup minus the Vega 48 via the Education Store. What sort of shipping time frame did Apple give you?
2 weeks.

sick z33

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2008
I ordered my iMac on 7/13 for store pickup. Specs are:

3.7 i5
8GB Memory
512 SSD

Originally showed it would be available to pick up on 7/29. I just got the notification text that its here!

28Gauge

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2011
DFW
I ordered the following with an estimated delivery on July 24-26.
  • 3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
  • 8GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory (upgrade to 40GB by me)
  • 1TB SSD storage
  • Radeon Pro 580X with 8GB of GDDR5 memory
  • Magic Mouse 2
  • Magic Keyboard - US English
I kept browsing the refurb store for this configuration, but I was never able to get one exactly like this. Now I have to figure out how to migrate everything over from my 2011 iMac to the new one. I have never done that before!

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Never been so torn on what to order ...

But looking at my hobby needs and budget I turned to the refurb section and with taxes I’m saving $560 on:

i5/8GB/512SSD/Radeon580x - still $3,000 Canadian but I am hoping to keep this for years. Lousy exchange rate kills us up here. The new toy arrives Tuesday. Can’t wait!!

Also ordered 32GB Crucial Ram Kit from Amazon.

Was hoping for 1TB SSD drive but couldn’t find one in refurb just fusion options.

The near year wait after my 2011 died is almost over!

I poured through endless threads - thanks to everyone who offered opinions and views on their machines.

Now how do I best access data on 2011 with dead graphics to transfer to the new one!?

Last edited:

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
I've just replaced my 2011 iMac with a well specced 2019 model. The difference in speed between the new SSD and the old HDD is particularly impressive.

Quick question:
The new machine has 8 GB of RAM with the intention to increase this when needed. What are the main symptoms/bottlenecks that I will encounter that would be solved by increasing the RAM?

Performance is fine at the moment. Lightroom and Photoshop are impressively fast and the machine only gets hot if I play World of Warcraft or Civilization VI.

theroaringbadger

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2018
Ordered my iMac 2019 this past weekend for photography/manipulation, video editing/colour correction, InDesign, illustrator, AE, music production, extensive and intensive web apps, and delving into x-code.
27 inch iMac with 5K Display
3.6 ghz i9
Vega 48
8gb (upgrading to make 40)
1tb SSD

Can’t wait.

alisalem

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2013
Mississauga, ON
I've just replaced my 2011 iMac with a well specced 2019 model. The difference in speed between the new SSD and the old HDD is particularly impressive.

Quick question:
The new machine has 8 GB of RAM with the intention to increase this when needed. What are the main symptoms/bottlenecks that I will encounter that would be solved by increasing the RAM?

Performance is fine at the moment. Lightroom and Photoshop are impressively fast and the machine only gets hot if I play World of Warcraft or Civilization VI.

Multi-tasking for the most part. When your RAM runs out, macOS has to resort to your HDD/SSD for virtual memory which is a lot slower than the RAM.

RAM is pretty cheap, just don't buy from Apple.

Reactions: 28Gauge

nemoryoliver

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2013
Philippines
Anyone got the one with Radeon 575X? I got this one and hope it will be fine for my work as a software engineer and a little bit of illustrator and photoshop.

Teemuhyn

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016

Mine should arrive next tuesday! Can’t wait!

Teemuhyn

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016
I think that I ordered one day after you ordered yours. Mine is still in “processing” status.

Just be patient, it’s coming. ”Processing” took a few days. The shipping seems to be fast as mine is coming from Ireland. I though these custom ones would come from China, but luckily not. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.