Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whosthis

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
Just be patient, it’s coming. ”Processing” took a few days. The shipping seems to be fast as mine is coming from Ireland. I though these custom ones would come from China, but luckily not. :)
I don't think there's evidence for one country of assembly being better than another?

FWIW, my custom i9 with Vesa mount should arrive shortly (shipping indicates it's arriving via the Netherlands, the invoice gives China as country of origin. I had thought that a custom build for EU would probably ship from Ireland.

Teemuhyn

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016
I don't think there's evidence for one country of assembly being better than another?

FWIW, my custom i9 with Vesa mount should arrive shortly (shipping indicates it's arriving via the Netherlands, the invoice gives China as country of origin. I had thought that a custom build for EU would probably ship from Ireland.

I just mean that usually the shipping takes less time when it come from Ireland than China as I live in Finland. :)

MadDane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2015
I finally caved and bought myself a new iMac. I have literally been debating getting one since 2015, so I am excited about pulling the trigger :D I got the following:
  • 27" 5K
  • 3.7 GHz i5 6-core
  • 8GB RAM
  • 1TB SSD
  • Radeon Pro 580X
  • Magic Trackpad 2
  • Full size keyboard
I am upgrading from a 27" 2.8 GHz i7, so hopefully this should be quite the upgrade. I debated back and forth between getting the basic 27" with a 256GB SSD and adding an external 1TB SSD, but in the end I decided that I didn't want to deal with multiple SSD's so I decided to just go for it. Besides, the 1TB upgrade costs a tad less than a 1TB Samsung X5.

D4walker

macrumors member
May 26, 2019
Lucky you guys only have to wait days or weeks. I'm waiting an estimated 1.5 months. Philippines :(

I have the same problem as you. I’m not in the US right now so my iMac arrived last Friday (mind you it came from China and it only took 5 days) to my freight forwarder and now I have to wait another 2-3 weeks to get it :confused:

Reactions: nemoryoliver

nemoryoliver

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2013
Philippines
I have the same problem as you. I’m not in the US right now so my iMac arrived last Friday (mind you it came from China and it only took 5 days) to my freight forwarder and now I have to wait another 2-3 weeks to get it :confused:
Where you from? I do not even have a tracking number. The reseller couldn't provide. That's what they said. It sucks big time.

28Gauge

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2011
DFW
I ordered the following with an estimated delivery on July 24-26.
  • 3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
  • 8GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory (upgrade to 40GB by me)
  • 1TB SSD storage
  • Radeon Pro 580X with 8GB of GDDR5 memory
  • Magic Mouse 2
  • Magic Keyboard - US English

I finally received the shipping information this morning. UPS says that it will be delivered this Wednesday, Apple says Thursday. The 32GB of RAM and the Trackpad 2 that I ordered arrived today.

D4walker

macrumors member
May 26, 2019
Where you from? I do not even have a tracking number. The reseller couldn't provide. That's what they said. It sucks big time.
I’m working in Argentina/Colombia for a while and there’s no Apple Store, so to get an iMac with an SSD I had to do it from Apple.com.
It does sucks not to have at least a tracking number, but I hope that both your computer and mine will arrive soon and well!

nemoryoliver

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2013
Philippines
I’m working in Argentina/Colombia for a while and there’s no Apple Store, so to get an iMac with an SSD I had to do it from Apple.com.
It does sucks not to have at least a tracking number, but I hope that both your computer and mine will arrive soon and well!
I see same here no apple store but It's possible to also order from their website. It was cheaper to purchase via the reseller though that's why I went that route. Thanks a lot and cheers to us with our new iMacs

Reactions: D4walker

mountain_feeling

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2019
After 4 months of deliberation, I finally ordered:

27 inch
i5 3.7 ghz
Vega 48
512 SSD
8 GB RAM (bought two 16 GB sticks of crucial from amazon)

My primary computer for the last 8 years has been an 11 inch macbook air. I think I just ordered a monster.

28Gauge

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2011
DFW
The new BTO iMac arrived today. It took exactly one week from order to arrival. Time to get everything moved over from the 2011 iMac to the 2019 iMac. Hopefully all goes well. The 2011 iMac was my first Mac and I have never done a transfer from Mac to Mac before now.

Reactions: Drmedic1

Drmedic1

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2016
Need some advice. I think it's finally time to update my mid 2012-Macbook Air that I bought at the start of university. I use it with a 1440p monitor. It works great for simple tasks (Microsoft Office, web browsing etc), but I notice using photos, or multiple video tabs with chrome that the fans go into overdrive. I would like to start using final cut pro for some film editing - but that crashes or freezes far too frequently to use.

I debated about getting a 15" Macbook Pro, but I don't really need the portability and 99% of the time, my Macbook Air is just sat on my desk and plugged to an external monitor.

My line of thinking is that I would like to future-proof it (some-what anyway), and perhaps hold onto it for 7+ years like I have with my Macbook Air (which I will now retire to my mother), and once it's time to update my iMac, I could give it my kids potentially? Now is the perfect time as my sister is off to university so I can make use of the back to school deal.

I will be deciding between the low and high base models with 1TB + Whatever graphics card it comes with + 8GB RAM (which I'll upgrade later, probably to 40gb). The key issue is I'm debating between the base model 3.0 GHz 6-core 8th Gen i5 v 3.7 GHz 6-core 9th Gen i5.

£1,980 v £2,268
The difference is £228, but is the 3.7 9th Gen 10% better or will add 10% longer to the life of the iMac?

EDIT: I will be getting the 27"

28Gauge

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2011
DFW
Need some advice. I think it's finally time to update my mid 2012-Macbook Air that I bought at the start of university. I use it with a 1440p monitor. It works great for simple tasks (Microsoft Office, web browsing etc), but I notice using photos, or multiple video tabs with chrome that the fans go into overdrive. I would like to start using final cut pro for some film editing - but that crashes or freezes far too frequently to use.

I debated about getting a 15" Macbook Pro, but I don't really need the portability and 99% of the time, my Macbook Air is just sat on my desk and plugged to an external monitor.

My line of thinking is that I would like to future-proof it (some-what anyway), and perhaps hold onto it for 7+ years like I have with my Macbook Air (which I will now retire to my mother), and once it's time to update my iMac, I could give it my kids potentially? Now is the perfect time as my sister is off to university so I can make use of the back to school deal.

I will be deciding between the low and high base models with 1TB + Whatever graphics card it comes with + 8GB RAM (which I'll upgrade later, probably to 40gb). The key issue is I'm debating between the base model 3.0 GHz 6-core 8th Gen i5 v 3.7 GHz 6-core 9th Gen i5.

£1,980 v £2,268
The difference is £228, but is the 3.7 9th Gen 10% better or will add 10% longer to the life of the iMac?

Since you tend to hang on to Mac’s quite awhile (like me) and are looking for a bit of future proofing, I would buy the the 3.7GHz processor or the best processor that fits within your budget. Of course, how you use your Mac is important and that would have bearing on processor choice.

Reactions: jagooch

MadDane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2015

£1,980 v £2,268

Only you can know with yourself for sure, but I have just been through the exact same process. I am currently using a 2009 iMac (so it has lasted me almost 10 years). I don't remember ever regretting upgrading something, whether it was an option extra for my car, extra RAM in a MacBook Pro i used to have and so on. So for myself I decided to just go for it and get better (and slightly never with the 9th gen i5 vs. 8th gen) hardware. Percentage wise it is not so much of a difference, and I figured that I could sell the Beats to offset the cost a bit.

I should get my new iMac tomorrow btw. I am quite excited for that :D

Drmedic1

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2016
Since you tend to hang on to Mac’s quite awhile (like me) and are looking for a bit of future proofing, I would buy the the 3.7GHz processor or the best processor that fits within your budget. Of course, how you use your Mac is important and that would have bearing on processor choice.

Bit contradictory, but budget isn't a huge issue as long as it's value for money (whether that's how I internalise it, or persuaded by others), I probably will get the 3.7 GHz t hough.

Only you can know with yourself for sure, but I have just been through the exact same process. I am currently using a 2009 iMac (so it has lasted me almost 10 years). I don't remember ever regretting upgrading something, whether it was an option extra for my car, extra RAM in a MacBook Pro i used to have and so on. So for myself I decided to just go for it and get better (and slightly never with the 9th gen i5 vs. 8th gen) hardware. Percentage wise it is not so much of a difference, and I figured that I could sell the Beats to offset the cost a bit.

I should get my new iMac tomorrow btw. I am quite excited for that :D
I finally caved and bought myself a new iMac. I have literally been debating getting one since 2015, so I am excited about pulling the trigger :D I got the following:
  • 27" 5K
  • 3.7 GHz i5 6-core
  • 8GB RAM
  • 1TB SSD
  • Radeon Pro 580X
  • Magic Trackpad 2
  • Full size keyboard
I am upgrading from a 27" 2.8 GHz i7, so hopefully this should be quite the upgrade. I debated back and forth between getting the basic 27" with a 256GB SSD and adding an external 1TB SSD, but in the end I decided that I didn't want to deal with multiple SSD's so I decided to just go for it. Besides, the 1TB upgrade costs a tad less than a 1TB Samsung X5.

I will most likely get the same machine as you to be honest :p. Hope you enjoy your wonderful machine!

D4walker

macrumors member
May 26, 2019
I finally got my new iMac today! It arrived sooner than expected, now I'm in the process of downloading apps and transferring my data, so far so good, I'm truly satisfied and happy about my purchase (although my pocket is not as happy or full).

Like I said before, I had a 21.5'' Late-2015 iMac 3.1GHZ i5/8GB/1TB HDD, now I have a new 27'' iMac 3.7GHz i5/40GB/512GB SSD. The change is huge, the only thing I sort of wish was going for the 1TB SSD instead of getting the keyboard with numeric pad and trackpad lol but that's just a minor thing since I have enough external storage to use.

Anyway, I've just been less than a day with my new iMac and I think it's a great value for the money I paid. And I got used to the big screen pretty quickly, there's seriously a lot of room. Hope everyone is enjoying their iMacs as well!

nemoryoliver

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2013
Philippines
My New iMac just arrived as well! Glad it didn't took that long.

2019 27" iMac
Inter Core i9
Radeon Pro 575X
8GB RAM > Upgraded to 40GB - 16GBx2 RAM
1 TB Fusion Drive (regretted and cannot return)

Reactions: D4walker

spiderpumpkin

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2014
I finally got my new iMac today! It arrived sooner than expected, now I'm in the process of downloading apps and transferring my data, so far so good, I'm truly satisfied and happy about my purchase (although my pocket is not as happy or full).

Like I said before, I had a 21.5'' Late-2015 iMac 3.1GHZ i5/8GB/1TB HDD, now I have a new 27'' iMac 3.7GHz i5/40GB/512GB SSD. The change is huge, the only thing I sort of wish was going for the 1TB SSD instead of getting the keyboard with numeric pad and trackpad lol but that's just a minor thing since I have enough external storage to use.

Anyway, I've just been less than a day with my new iMac and I think it's a great value for the money I paid. And I got used to the big screen pretty quickly, there's seriously a lot of room. Hope everyone is enjoying their iMacs as well!

I have the same iMac but with Vega graphics and 1TB SSD. I bought it a couple months ago and it has been awesome so far. 1TB SSD is nice but I wish the lower SSD prices would have been a thing when I ordered, because I would have bought the 2TB SSD instead.

Reactions: 28Gauge

JacobHarvey

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2019
Somewhere

2019 27" iMac
Inter Core i9
Radeon Pro 575X

If the Fusion Drive with the 32GB SSD does not meet your needs you can always use an external USB or Thunderbolt 3 SSD.

Later once the warranty is finished you can potentially open it up and replace the internal PCIe SSD and/or the SATA HDD with a big SSD if you are game. Plenty of people on the forum and across the internet have done this successfully (but of course you need to be careful and follow instructions closely).

I think that it is quite likely that future iMacs will have soldered internal storage that is impossible to upgrade once they get T series chips in them. At least you've got a few options to think about!

D4walker

macrumors member
May 26, 2019

2019 27" iMac
Inter Core i9
Radeon Pro 575X
I know people seem to not like Fusion Drives on this forum, but I think with the 40GB Ram and the i9 will be fast and enough for most tasks and of course multitasking which is important.

Also, like someone said above me, you can always use external drives as the boot drive in the future, if the Fusion Drive is not enough. So don’t worry too much, make sure to keep the most important apps and documents on the SSD part and enjoy it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.