Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Thermals above design perimeters for extended periods of time has a negative effect on battery longevity. This mostly applies to the battery when its nearing its fully charged capacity. The charging IC monitors battery temp and will reduce power consumption if it needs too and at 80% charge the fast charger drops back to 5volts like current chargers.

Fast charging causes higher thermals because its more efficient delivering power.

Watts (power) = volts x amps (current). Comparatively speaking fast charing uses high volts to obtain its wattage and normal charging uses higher amps to obtain its wattage.

The problem with this is when current meets resistance the voltage will drop. The higher the current the more the voltage will drop.

When you are charging with a 5volt 2.4amp 12watt charger you will be lucky to get 10 watts to the source due to those loses.

Here is a 12.2 watt power source that drops to 10.5 watt at the load because of the resistance in the Lightning cable, and its a BRAND NEW APPLE Lightning cable.

IMG_6989.jpeg

The voltage is 4.4 volts at the load which is why the wattage is so low.

IMG_6990.jpeg

In practice the voltage regulator in an iPhone/iPad would have reduced current to maintain a higher voltage before dropping to 4.4v.

You'll only get 12 watts from a 5 volt source (iPad charger) on a 6"-12" cable.

Many people describe fast charging as cramming more power into the iPhone, this isn't completely accurate. A battery always has to be charged from a source with higher potential, if not the battery would send power back to the charger (in a simple circuit not iPhone). Fast charging just takes advantage of the lowered internal resistance the battery has at a lower charge state.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. If you are then charge your iPhone from a standard USB source.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
Yes and fast charging increases the temperature as shown in multiple tests.
18 W ?
Not in a significant way.
[automerge]1575825622[/automerge]
And just leaving a video link here for a little more explanation for those looking for more information on this.

I’m never impressed by YouTube “experts” (especially the ones streaming from a kitchen ... ?).
And your link provided no useful data at all on the matter.

Last edited:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Really can't see it - technically yes charging faster does more damage to the battery, but it's such a small difference you'd probably only begin to notice over a timescale of years, not months.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I kinda wish Apple never included the 'Health' feature. My first iPhone was a 3GS. then a 4. Now a 6S. I used to deal all the time with Fandroids over the whole 'non-removable battery' mess, but in my experience, Apple products last a LONG time with their original battery. my 3GS was 5 years old when i upgraded to a 4, I found a decade-old iPhone 4 in a junkyard car and it holds a charge, and my 6S is still showing 100% battery health. I even got a PowerBook G4 Titanium laptop that has a battery still holding a charge. Grant it's not near my new MBP but it does work. Most Compaq or HP laptops have batteries that don't do jack after a year or two.

Oh and most of my Android phones removable batteries were unable to do much after a year.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

white4s

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
My XR Is also at 95%. I got it on Day 1. Mainly use regular charger but I do have an 18W charger. Guess I shouldn’t use it for the XR unless I have to. Thanks for the tip.

No problem. It dropped to 98% and stayed there until I started using 18W this past April
[automerge]1575905175[/automerge]
It's normal. Be glad you even own a fast charger. My 8 Plus battery dropped from 100% to 88% in a year. So?

So? That's not normal.
[automerge]1575905195[/automerge]
Or just use the fast charger for when you need it...

wireless for everyday use.

I don't use wireless.
[automerge]1575905291[/automerge]
Makes sense. Even though the iPhone can gladly accept higher wattage, a side effect is increased temperature in and around the battery and heat is a common denominator in any battery’s degradation, regardless of the battery’s chemistry.

I noticed the increase of heat almost right away to the point I started taking off the case while charging because it was trapping the heat in.
[automerge]1575905397[/automerge]
I'll take your cord.

Maybe your battery life just declined from using your phone and charging it since April?

Well my phone use has been consistently the same the whole time I've had it. Average 2 day battery cycle
[automerge]1575905591[/automerge]
Wrong. Temperature reduced long term battery life (among other things like charging cycles).
[automerge]1575806888[/automerge]

The only point I can see here is it was April and today is December.
That’s why the battery health dropped. Normal use (and charging).

The phone never got hot with the 5W, never. The heat it gets from 18W is enough where I started taking off the case because it was trapping the heat
[automerge]1575905637[/automerge]
Really can't see it - technically yes charging faster does more damage to the battery, but it's such a small difference you'd probably only begin to notice over a timescale of years, not months.

It causes more heat while charging which in return is doing the damage.
[automerge]1575905779[/automerge]
The mods really should create subforums devoted to Battery Health Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (BHOCD) and Buyer's Remorse.

Could probably command some of the highest ad rates on the site.

Has nothing to do with any of that. This is a $900 phone that I'd like to last as long as possible. Simple as that

Last edited:

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019
The phone never got hot with the 5W, never. The heat it gets from 18W is enough where I started taking off the case because it was trapping the heat

If your case doesn’t allow the heat to dissipate at all then it’s probably time to switch cases if you’d like to keep using the 18W charger.
Which case are you using by the way?

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Let's do the math. Assuming you bought the XR at launch. You say you lost 2% (100 to 98) until April. So you lost 2% in the first 7 months. You then lost 3% additional since April, which is also 7 (almost 8) months. This is normal and given the fact that these numbers are just estimated I'd be even less concerned. Even if fast charging did cause you to lose an additional 1% in 7-8 months, then you'd lose maybe an additional 3% over regular/slow charging if you keep the phone 2 more years.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I don't know what anyone else is using but my 6S has a simple Otter Box Commuter case.

I charge it with some $10 'Road Gear' charging dock with multiple USB to lightning cables and 'IQ' charging along with my iPad, Pencil, Generic Android stuff, etc.

Never had an issue with ANY Apple device using a non-removable battery--whether it was from 2010 or 2019. Longevity is one of Apple's strong suits. For Christ's Sake, just ignore that stupid health reading. it's meaningless. Causes nothing more than paranoia.

My Mom has a 6S she's used since the 6S launched. It gets HEAVY usage (she plays games, uses it for Facebook and so on) and the battery health is showing like 65%. She still gets a day or two standby on the thing.

Reactions: jbachandouris

FlippyGonnaSnap

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2019
I kinda wish Apple never included the 'Health' feature. My first iPhone was a 3GS. then a 4. Now a 6S. I used to deal all the time with Fandroids over the whole 'non-removable battery' mess, but in my experience, Apple products last a LONG time with their original battery. my 3GS was 5 years old when i upgraded to a 4, I found a decade-old iPhone 4 in a junkyard car and it holds a charge, and my 6S is still showing 100% battery health. I even got a PowerBook G4 Titanium laptop that has a battery still holding a charge. Grant it's not near my new MBP but it does work. Most Compaq or HP laptops have batteries that don't do jack after a year or two.

Oh and most of my Android phones removable batteries were unable to do much after a year.

I agree in regards to all the paranoia and hysteria it has created which has been absurd with people storming down the freeway for a battery replacement just because it hit 90% regardless of real day to day performance.

For me that’s the big issue, people are paying far more attention to that percentage then real use.

I wish Apple would just give a warning when the battery is acting up and give them the option to toggle throttling.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I think the only reason for even includng it was to settle all the FUD about 'BatteyGate' and so on. Remember when the 5S was having a BSOD problem? Wasn't that caused by battery shutdown due to NOT being throttled or something? Would anyone love to go back to that?

Reactions: white4s

FlippyGonnaSnap

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2019
I think the only reason for even includng it was to settle all the FUD about 'BatteyGate' and so on. Remember when the 5S was having a BSOD problem? Wasn't that caused by battery shutdown due to NOT being throttled or something? Would anyone love to go back to that?

My only issue with that was that we didn’t know it was being throttled and we didn’t have the toggle to undo it.

For me that’s all we needed, a warning and an option.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
18 W ?

I’m never impressed by YouTube “experts” (especially the ones streaming from a kitchen ... ?).
Streaming from a kitchen? I don't believe I've seen that.

I don't even watch YouTube really, I still get all my info from forums. Maybe that's old fashioned but I get info better from text.

white4s

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
If your case doesn’t allow the heat to dissipate at all then it’s probably time to switch cases if you’d like to keep using the 18W charger.
Which case are you using by the way?

I have the Pitaka armor along with it's car mount so I will not be changing cases, it's the only case I like anyway. I already went back to 5W so no more 18W for me. I mostly bought it for fast charging since they take so long to now
[automerge]1575921230[/automerge]
Let's do the math. Assuming you bought the XR at launch. You say you lost 2% (100 to 98) until April. So you lost 2% in the first 7 months. You then lost 3% additional since April, which is also 7 (almost 8) months. This is normal and given the fact that these numbers are just estimated I'd be even less concerned. Even if fast charging did cause you to lose an additional 1% in 7-8 months, then you'd lose maybe an additional 3% over regular/slow charging if you keep the phone 2 more years.

The math adds up but I don't like the heat the 18W generates during charging. No bueno for the battery

Last edited:

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)

I don't even watch YouTube really, I still get all my info from forums. Maybe that's old fashioned but I get info better from text.
Agreed. YouTube is the worst place to learn something.
Lots of paid shills and uninformed “experts” with a webcam.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
The only good thing at Youtube lately is Shango066. Bit cantankerous and a fan of old vacuum tube stuff but his commentary is priceless!

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
18 W ?

I’m never impressed by YouTube “experts” (especially the ones streaming from a kitchen ... ).

Agreed. YouTube is the worst place to learn something.
Lots of paid shills and uninformed “experts” with a webcam.

If you’re not familiar with Linus then I’ve got nothing to say. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
If you’re not familiar with Linus then I’ve got nothing to say. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Linus is an above average Youtuber. I've watched a handful of his videos. (I know the you're wasn't directed at me specifically). While I don't agree with everything he says, he's definitely an above average youtuber. Anthony is awesome. :p

While I agree there's a LOT of misinformation on youtube, there are a fair amount of youtubers with good knowledge. But most people won't be able to sift through the **** to find the gems.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.