Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nightrhyme

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2019
After getting my 11pro, I quickly realized that charging went way to fast and made the phone way too hot to be healthy for the battery. Regardless of what anyone might think on the internet.
So I had to go borrow an old 5w iphone charger. Way better.
Now looking for s decent charge alarm to avoid charging above 80% as it is no longer needed...

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Not all chargers charge adhere to the current charging spec. The Apple 29W adapter has been shown to cause significantly higher battery temps during charging (because it charges at ~14V rather than ~9V). I'd be surprised if that's the problem with your Anker adapter, but maybe that's the issue. I wouldn't reach any conclusions until you've tried an Apple charger.

I charge my XSM and 11PM on 5W, 12W, 18W, 30W and 61W Apple adapters and there's no noticeable difference in charging temps.

Reactions: IowaLynn

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not all chargers charge adhere to the current charging spec. The Apple 29W adapter has been shown to cause significantly higher battery temps during charging (because it charges at ~14V rather than ~9V). I'd be surprised if that's the problem with your Anker adapter, but maybe that's the issue. I wouldn't reach any conclusions until you've tried an Apple charger.

I charge my XSM and 11PM on 5W, 12W, 18W, 30W and 61W Apple adapters and there's no noticeable difference in charging temps.
Realistically if the device itself regulates what it takes in, then the adapter shouldn't really play much of a role in that aspect.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
You say it like he's Beyoncé.

I didn't even know he existed until a month ago.

He’s no Beyoncé but he’s pretty well known in the YouTube tech community and his testing methods are generally pretty detailed.

Linus is an above average Youtuber. I've watched a handful of his videos. (I know the you're wasn't directed at me specifically). While I don't agree with everything he says, he's definitely an above average youtuber. Anthony is awesome. :p

While I agree there's a LOT of misinformation on youtube, there are a fair amount of youtubers with good knowledge. But most people won't be able to sift through the **** to find the gems.

I don’t agree with everything he says either, but he’s pretty well known in the YouTube tech community. I’d assume tech enthusiasts will know him.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
You referring to Linus Tech Tips? I pay for Youtube Premium but all the videos are flooded with sponsors these days and it's like unskippable ads. I stopped using Youtube or following channels who do that.

There's one channel where each video is now about 5 minutes of talking about Private Internet Access in random parts of the video. totally annoying.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Realistically if the device itself regulates what it takes in, then the adapter shouldn't really play much of a role in that aspect.

Not true in this case. The most dramatic example in this comparison test was the 29W Apple adapter:
http://www.chargerlab.com/iphone-11-pro-max-charging-test/ Although it is also true that you don't need a 'smart' adapter to fast charge an iPhone safely. The ubiquitous 12W iPad adapter does nearly as well as the 18W Apple USB-C adapter and, back to the original post, isn't considered by people here to pose a heat threat to iPhone batteries.

Last edited:

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
If you’re not familiar with Linus then I’ve got nothing to say. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
I know who he is I just haven't seen many of his videos. As stated above I don't watch tech videos, regardless of who makes them

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Not true in this case. The most dramatic example in this comparison test was the 29W Apple adapter:
http://www.chargerlab.com/iphone-11-pro-max-charging-test/ Although it is also true that you don't need a 'smart' adapter to fast charge an iPhone safely. The ubiquitous 12W iPad adapter does nearly as well as the 18W Apple USB-C adapter and, back to the original post, isn't considered by people here to pose a heat threat to iPhone batteries.

In support here’s a video test from Macworld.

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
I love the fast charging it is so convenient. If the battery gets a little hot or goes over 80%, so be it. As long as it does not explode or catch fire then I don't care. If I need a new battery I will just buy one. I bought a premium piece of kit to be used hard, I will respect it, but I did not pay out all this cash to treat it like some revered, sacred object. When it's finished I'll just throw it away.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
The battery health dropped from 98% to 95% since I switched to 18W in April. So,anyone need a 18W Anker usb-c charger or cord lol.

To jest, I wonder what might have happened had you used the new 96W USB-C bricks that come with the 16" notebooks to charge the phone using a USB-C to lighting cable.

On a serious note, the only real issue today is heat generation that dims the light on battery life, not much else over regular use. Playing games that kill the battery soon while producing heat and then charging the device using a fast charger would be a somewhat extreme example of how to reduce battery life soon. From what it looks, the decrease in your phone's battery life is contained and normal, it is just coincidental with your using an 18W charger. Enjoy your phone.

I use a 29W USB-C charger with USB-C to lightning cable. What I don't do is let the battery go down below 60% if I can help it organically. I don't fret, but I just put it to charge when I can, and don't bother when I am out. I realise that using a fast charger on a battery that is low on charge at, say, 40%, will generate more heat than using the same charger on a battery at, say, 60%, since the charger will pump a higher voltage into the battery to charge it fast. Yet, at somewhat reasonable charge levels, say 50-60%, the fast charger is fast enough and cool enough. So, I use fast chargers knowing I can charge the phone really fast if needed when the charge is low, and to just charge the phone quickly enough when the charge is adequate.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
To jest, I wonder what might have happened had you used the new 96W USB-C bricks that come with the 16" notebooks to charge the phone using a USB-C to lighting cable.

The rest of your answer supports the most likely answer: nothing. :) At least nothing different than with a 5W adapter.
[automerge]1575979214[/automerge]
And just leaving a video link here for a little more explanation for those looking for more information on this.

Omigosh, do his hands EVER stop moving? ;)

Reactions: macintoshmac

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Here's a funny thing, though. For years (and I mean years, back to the 1980s) I've been careful about how I charge my batteries. Early phones were lead acid or NiCd, then NiMH, all of which were quite picky about how they were used and charged. Then various Li chemistries and increasingly "smart" chargers. But the thing that is really changing my attitude is the IUP. If I'm trading the phone in to Apple after a year, why do I care whether it's at 99% of original capacity, or 85%, or something even lower? As long as it gets me through the day, I'm fine - with the IUP, the phone (and its battery) are essentially just rented.

Nightrhyme

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2019
Here's a funny thing, though. For years (and I mean years, back to the 1980s) I've been careful about how I charge my batteries. Early phones were lead acid or NiCd, then NiMH, all of which were quite picky about how they were used and charged. Then various Li chemistries and increasingly "smart" chargers. But the thing that is really changing my attitude is the IUP. If I'm trading the phone in to Apple after a year, why do I care whether it's at 99% of original capacity, or 85%, or something even lower? As long as it gets me through the day, I'm fine - with the IUP, the phone (and its battery) are essentially just rented.

Well that’s a sloppy attitude. Where I come from, we save up for things we want. And pay cash.

Reactions: macintoshmac

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
I don't know what anyone else is using but my 6S has a simple Otter Box Commuter case.

I charge it with some $10 'Road Gear' charging dock with multiple USB to lightning cables and 'IQ' charging along with my iPad, Pencil, Generic Android stuff, etc.

Never had an issue with ANY Apple device using a non-removable battery--whether it was from 2010 or 2019. Longevity is one of Apple's strong suits. For Christ's Sake, just ignore that stupid health reading. it's meaningless. Causes nothing more than paranoia.

My Mom has a 6S she's used since the 6S launched. It gets HEAVY usage (she plays games, uses it for Facebook and so on) and the battery health is showing like 65%. She still gets a day or two standby on the thing.
65% is brutal. End of life is 80%

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I know this is only anecdotal but I use an iPad charger for my 8+ that I got in early May. I use it every night for my 8+ and the battery health is still at 100%.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Sometimes I think it is a false correlation. If people use the fast charger, they use the phone a lot and they use it while charging fast which will really heat it up, so the fast charger and the battery health are both symptoms of heavier use and not causes of each other.

Reactions: Closingracer

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019
I've only been using the 18W charger that came with my launch day 11 Pro and even played movies while charging. While the Battery Health shows it at 99% Coconut Battery still shows the 11 Pro at 100% after 78 cycles.

EDIT: Except maybe a handful of times when I plugged into my Mac.

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 5.03.09 PM.png

IMG_0313.PNG

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
My 11 is at 99%. Granted I’ve only had it a couple months, but I never use a regular block - only my iPad charger I kept from my previous iPad. It’s all I’ve used on my last few phones, and I’ve never really noticed an issue with battery health/life.

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
If I'm trading the phone in to Apple after a year, why do I care whether it's at 99% of original capacity, or 85%, or something even lower? As long as it gets me through the day, I'm fine - with the IUP, the phone (and its battery) are essentially just rented.
Don't you get a better rating (and thus a bigger chunk off the price of the new phone) if the battery is in good shape? When I traded in my wife's iPhone 7 (which, by the way, showed a battery health level of 99% after two years, despite having been charged erratically), I got the maximum amount possible for that model. I'm sure I would have gotten less if the battery had been at, say, 82%.

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019
Don't you get a better rating (and thus a bigger chunk off the price of the new phone) if the battery is in good shape? When I traded in my wife's iPhone 7 (which, by the way, showed a battery health level of 99% after two years, despite having been charged erratically), I got the maximum amount possible for that model. I'm sure I would have gotten less if the battery had been at, say, 82%.

As long as it turns on and works fine I don’t think the battery capacity is a factor for trade in value at Apple.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
I use mostly USBC to lightning using Apple chargers. And Apple cable. Most of the time a duo wireless charging pad in oe room, and Samsung wireless pad next to my Mac.

Over-thinking a bit? OCD etc?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

Not at all - not from Apple. You will get more (hopefully) selling privately, but Apple doesn't check battery health at all if you turn the phone in to them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.