Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
As long as it turns on and works fine I don’t think the battery capacity is a factor for trade in value at Apple.
Not at all - not from Apple. You will get more (hopefully) selling privately, but Apple doesn't check battery health at all if you turn the phone in to them.
In my case the guy did check the battery health among other things. Would the trade-in value have been lower if the battery had been shot? I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. But he did check it.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
In my case the guy did check the battery health among other things. Would the trade-in value have been lower if the battery had been shot? I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. But he did check it.

Are you sure he was checking the battery health value rather than, say, service warnings which might indicate that you'd had a third party battery installed?

Reactions: BigMcGuire

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019

He was probably just running the diagnostics or checking for the non-authorized battery. And I don’t think the battery capacity would’ve had played a role in the value regardless of the capacity.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
After getting my 11pro, I quickly realized that charging went way to fast and made the phone way too hot to be healthy for the battery. Regardless of what anyone might think on the internet.
So I had to go borrow an old 5w iphone charger. Way better.
Now looking for s decent charge alarm to avoid charging above 80% as it is no longer needed...
I’m finicky about my charge patterns and mostly use a 5w charger, but for me a I don’t worry about if I’m charging above 80% and a charge alarm would be totally unnecessary. Better to let the phone optimize charging, IMO.

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
He was probably just running the diagnostics or checking for the non-authorized battery. And I don’t think the battery capacity would’ve had played a role in the value regardless of the capacity.

Or maybe just curious. Here are the official Apple trade-in criteria (and a belated edit below):

Is the iPhone in good condition?
Answer yes if all of the following apply:
  • It turns on and functions normally
  • All the buttons work
  • The cameras work
  • The body is free of dents and scratches
  • The touchscreen and back glass are undamaged
Late edit: I traded in an iPad last year that had been dropped on a tile floor (short distance). The display was fine, but there was a serious dent/flat spot in one corner - the Apple store rep asked no questions. My wife traded in her S3 Watch when the S4 was introduced; it had noticeable scratches, and no questions were asked. At least in the stores, Apple is willing to give customers who are trading in/up quite a bit of latitude.

Last edited:

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
It’s possible using a fast charger will add to it degrading faster but I also wonder about the daily usage on those whose battery degraded so fast.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I fast charge daily on my xs max and battery health has been solid at 95% for over a year now. It dropped from 100-98 then 95. And it’s been stable since. I fast charge multiple times a day. And wireless charge occasionally.

imp3rator

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2019
I wirelessly charged about 6 months (slow charching during night) and have 100% battery health. Then I charged few times 18W charger and dropped to 99% and about one week to 98%. I sometimes charged with 18W but I didn't have any battery health drop.
iPhone 11 since launch day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.