Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OceanFrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
A family member is 50 years old and just getting aback to the gym after a few years of working 80 hours weeks since before COVID. He is definitely out of shape, but not too fat/unfit for an average 50 year old. He is now making an effort to get fitter and healthier.

He is techie and loves Apple, but has never had an Apple Watch. He also travels frequently and is interested in hiking and mountains. We know he loves the Ultra, and he has an iPhone 14 pro max.

So what would be the main benefits of an Ultra to him? Specifically, what would be the fitness and health benefits? I know I can look this up online (I have) but I’d love to hear from similar use cases and people with the watch on their wrists everyday.

Thanks in advance!!!

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Different people are motivated in different ways. I’m late 40s and I’ve been in half decent shape for most of my life but the Watch still provides a motivation for me through trending. I like data and the watch (and Apple Health) are great tools to show me how quickly I’m declining into old age :D

For hiking specifically I use AllTrails on the phone and the compass/backtrack feature on the watch.

You can hike/run without the watch of course, but for me those watch specific features are helpful and the health data trends are motivational.

OceanFrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Thanks!! That’s really useful.

What about the advanced health features? Is ecg any use etc?

Reactions: surfzen21

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
A family member is 50 years old and just getting aback to the gym after a few years of working 80 hours weeks since before COVID. He is definitely out of shape, but not too fat/unfit for an average 50 year old. He is now making an effort to get fitter and healthier.

He is techie and loves Apple, but has never had an Apple Watch. He also travels frequently and is interested in hiking and mountains. We know he loves the Ultra, and he has an iPhone 14 pro max.

So what would be the main benefits of an Ultra to him? Specifically, what would be the fitness and health benefits? I know I can look this up online (I have) but I’d love to hear from similar use cases and people with the watch on their wrists everyday.

Thanks in advance!!!
read thru this and also share with your family memeber

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
I'm 55 and until earlier this year I had not worn a wrist watch for 25 years because a) they are not comfortable to me and b) I can use my phone to tell time. But I decided to get an Apple Watch last spring and I love it for several reasons.

One is the fitness/health data, which is being collected continuously even when not working out. Before I got the watch I used MapMyWalk app but it only collects data when I start a workout, while the watch is always on whether in a workout or not and keeping track of goals. Also there's a ton of data to look at. Much more than from just the iPhone.

Two is the motivation it provides to do even simple things such as standing once per hour or to let me know I am getting close to reaching a daily movement or exercise goal. Also I have started logging mood data although I don't know what I will use it for.

Three is the trend data and integration with other apps. For example, I sleep with the watch on to track sleep data and combine that with the sleep data imported from my Sleep Number bed app.

Four is offloading phone functions such as notifications, messages, Apple Pay etc., so I don't have to pick up my phone as often.

Five is the haptics which are gentle reminders and (I find) less annoying than having my phone ping me.

Apple Watch is a solid product especially because it is so well integrated into the Apple ecosystem, which makes it much more useable than a non-Apple fitness product IMHO.

Doc_dee

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2021
Remember: A new watch also comes with Apple fitness for 3 months.

I find Pilates , core and HITT great for workouts at home on days I’m unable to get out of the house for a Run, swim or bike ride. Very useful now the nights are drawing in and getting colder

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I watched my health stats improve, like resting heart rate, etc when I started going back to the gym. When I got Long Covid, I watched all of my stats go to the garbage. It was 6-8 months before I could do any exercise. When I could return the AW health stats jumped back to "close" to the original. It was the AW that told me something was wrong even before people knew what COVID was, much less Long Covid.

It was a month into covid before hearing one of the symptoms was loss of taste, so I knew that day what I had, as everything I used to like eating was now unpalatable.

I can still go back and look at thoese nightmare stats! My doctor was amazed . . . .

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Remember: A new watch also comes with Apple fitness for 3 months.

I find Pilates , core and HITT great for workouts at home on days I’m unable to get out of the house for a Run, swim or bike ride. Very useful now the nights are drawing in and getting colder

Good point. Fitness+ is great to do a couple of 10 minute workouts on days when I can’t get out. It’s going to be super useful over the winter.

Reactions: OceanFrog

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Sounds like for the OP’s relative there are no advantages to the Ultra versus a Series 9 vs SE. If desired, get a cheaper tracker.

Why are people responding as if they’re just being asked about Apple Watch? Title says:

“What are the benefits of the Apple Watch Ultra for a 50 year old male just getting back to the gym and healthy living?”

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
For real? The benefits are zero. Do a normal workout and just wear a normal analog watch, so you come back home in time for lunch. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I agree :)

Start a workout routine and see if it’s followed. If yes, maybe there’s interest in tracking workouts.

We often fall into the fallacy of focusing on the wrong thing rather than looking at what really needs to be done.

Flowstates

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2023
Not quite particular to your use-case, but I found myself making alot of use of the heart-rate monitoring to get feedback about potentially stressful thoughts/situations and avoiding them to mitigate stress. Works wonders and really helps you getting insights about your self.

This and custom timers for workout are the only uses I have for the watch, all other notifications/tracking are disabled.

dolf

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2010
Significantly better battery life and it’s much better looking, IMHO. Those are the things that pushed me over the edge to get the Ultra. Never had, or particularly wanted, an Apple Watch before.

rcarter3636

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2015
I’ve been into fitness for over 40 years. Since the Apple Watch optical has become so reliable, I’ve always recommended wearing one for health and fitness. Now you could probably add the latest Garmin optical heart rate sensor to that list.
I think it is important to keep up with certain stats especially at 50 and after.

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
I was worried about this because it had been over 10 years since I had worn a watch. Glad it wasn't an issue for me.
That was my concern when I purchased the Ultra on Launch day in 2022, but it had been over 30 years for me.

I began tracking my mountain biking in 1990 with a bike computer and excel spreadsheet, then Polar chest straps/watches along with iOS apps.

I waited too long to buy an Apple Watch.

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
OP: Asking Apple people why you should buy Apple products is going to get a LOT of Apple marketing. They are readily giving you what you are asking for... but whether that is best for your family member or not is not necessarily in full consideration.

A different question: does he NEED an Apple Watch for some reason? What if this was a decade+ ago when there was no Apple Watch? Could he work on his health without it? Of course he could.

A watch is not necessarily going to do a thing for improving his health. Yes, there are certainly features & benefits that can support an overall goal of improving health... but that can be said about ANYTHING you/he could buy aiming at the same target:
  • A program that provides better food choices?
  • Home equipment so he can fit in some health-improving activities OUTSIDE of the gym?
  • Social activities/clubs that mask health benefits by building them into activities like kayaking/hiking/skiing/biking/etc and/or (healthy) cooking classes, etc. While interacting with others, he's getting exercise at the same time... a kind of stealth way to better health.
  • A dog... because Spot needing a walk at least a few times a day means Spot's owner will need to take a walk a few times a day. Even bending down to pick up Spot's regular poos is guaranteeing at least ONE squat a few times each day. Apple Watch will never need a walk or a poo, so while it has potential to help him get more exercise, he could also park it in the corner like a piece of furniture and never get the intended benefit. A dog MUST poo. You cannot park a dog in a corner.
I share this NOT to put down Apple or Apple Watch but to point out that you could put the same kind of money towards many other things and potentially make more of a difference. Tech is not the answer to everything. And weight-loss in particular is much harder than strapping on a bit of tech and hoping it can motivate someone.
  • Good supporting tool? Yes.
  • Good solution? That mostly depends on him.
  • Best way to help him with this? Maybe... but the same money could buy lots of other things that might better get him moving, eating better, etc.
Find some stealthy activity that he likes to do but lacks a potential "gift" to let him do it now. For me, that was bicycling. I didn't even have a bike for about 20 years but now I try to do all local travel on the bike (even grocery runs, etc) and leave the car parked in the garage. Golf (clubs)? Hiking (if this, maybe a weight vest to wear while hiking)? Skiing? Skates? Check out Hobie Kayaks with their pedal-based "rowing". Maybe he has a stealth "workout" hobby he really likes but lacks some key bit of equipment or materials? Paint ball war games with some buddies (which can actually be quite a workout)? Nearby amusement park season/annual pass (walk around one of those for a day, and you get a workout)? Tennis? Pickleball? There are soooooooo many possibilities.

In short: think about what will actually get him moving vs. what MIGHT get him moving. Watch has great potential but nothing about it will push him to "get with it" unless he applies self motivation. You can't shoot one buddy with a paint ball without actually getting out there and "hunting" that buddy. That Hobie won't row itself.

Especially if you can make it a SOCIAL thing though, the fundamental desire to socialize can become motivating to "get with it." You can't flirt with the pretty ladies in the Paddle Board group if you are not out there on a Paddle Board with them. You can't win the over 50's rowing team trophy if you are not out there rowing with the team. Etc.

Last edited:

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe

Thanks in advance!!!
Sounds like the guy needs a break, why don't you get him a less smart watch but that makes it possible to track his adventures and advances?

Have a look at Polar Vantage V3 as a less connected but good alternative.

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
OP: Asking Apple people why you should buy Apple products is going to get a LOT of Apple marketing. They are readily giving you what you are asking for... but whether that is best for your family member or not is not necessarily in full consideration.

A different question: does he NEED an Apple Watch for some reason? What if this was a decade+ ago when there was no Apple Watch? Could he work on his health without it? Of course he could.

A watch is not necessarily going to do a thing for improving his health. Yes, there are certainly features & benefits that can support an overall goal of improving health... but that can be said about ANYTHING you/he could buy aiming at the same target:
  • A program that provides better food choices?
  • Home equipment so he can fit in some health-improving activities OUTSIDE of the gym?
  • Social activities/clubs that mask health benefits by building them into activities like kayaking/hiking/skiing/biking/etc and/or (healthy) cooking classes, etc. While interacting with others, he's getting exercise at the same time... a kind of stealth way to better health.
  • A dog... because Spot needing a walk at least a few times a day means Spot's owner will need to take a walk a few times a day. Even bending down to pick up Spot's regular poos is guaranteeing at least ONE squat a few times each day. Apple Watch will never need a walk or a poo, so while it has potential to help him get more exercise, he could also park it in the corner like a piece of furniture and never get the intended benefit. A dog MUST poo. You cannot park a dog in a corner.
I share this NOT to put down Apple or Apple Watch but to point out that you could put the same kind of money towards many other things and potentially make more of a difference. Tech is not the answer to everything. And weight-loss in particular is much harder than strapping on a bit of tech and hoping it can motivate someone.
  • Good supporting tool? Yes.
  • Good solution? That mostly depends on him.
  • Best way to help him with this? Maybe... but the same money could buy lots of other things that might better get him moving, eating better, etc.
Find some stealthy activity that he likes to do but lacks a potential "gift" to let him do it now. For me, that was bicycling. I didn't even have a bike for about 20 years but now I try to do all local travel on the bike (even grocery runs, etc) and leave the car parked in the garage. Golf (clubs)? Hiking (if this, maybe a weight vest to wear while hiking)? Skiing? Skates? Check out Hobie Kayaks with their pedal-based "rowing". Maybe he has a stealth "workout" hobby he really likes but lacks some key bit of equipment or materials? Paint ball war games with some buddies (which can actually be quite a workout)? Nearby amusement park season/annual pass (walk around one of those for a day, and you get a workout)? Tennis? Pickleball? There are soooooooo many possibilities.

In short: think about what will actually get him moving vs. what MIGHT get him moving. Watch has great potential but nothing about it will push him to "get with it" unless he applies self motivation. You can't shoot one buddy with a paint ball without actually getting out there and "hunting" that buddy. That Hobie won't row itself.

Especially if you can make it a SOCIAL thing though, the fundamental desire to socialize can become motivating to "get with it." You can't flirt with the pretty ladies in the Paddle Board group if you are not out there on a Paddle Board with them. You can't win the over 50's rowing team trophy if you are not out there rowing with the team. Etc.
I agree that the watch is just one tool in the toolbox and I'm not suggesting that it is a complete solution. it is one of the better tools out there for someone who already owns an iPhone and is looking for a way to get motivated again. (How many people have gym memberships but hardly ever go to the gym?) And getting the watch doesn't preclude doing other things including seeking advice in another non-Apple forum. OP didn't mention a budget and even the Ultra I think probably won't break the bank for someone who was working 80 hour weeks for years on end. Also a less expensive model will do just as well.

The benefit of the smart watch is that it is compatible with most of the other things you mentioned. At one point I bought a canoe to get some rowing exercise but I could only use it on good weather days in the summer and I had to lug it to a nearby pond every time, so it was only a partial solution. The watch will help along with pickleball, running, golf, walking the dog, whatever.

Reactions: G5isAlive

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I read or perhaps mis-read OPs post like "potential Christmas present" not that the family member was buying for themselves. Watch can be a tool used in conjunction with all of the stuff I offered. But if it is a potential present, maybe the watch budget is the budget. If so, Watch money could buy something with which to actually get exercise benefits vs. monitor benefits of exercise, track heart rate, etc.

Certainly, if it's not a gift but just a purchase, OP's family member can buy watch and any and all exercise stuff too. I simply see a post published in mid-NOV, exploring the idea of something for somebody else and imagine holiday shopping, holiday budgets and then consider overall goal of the gift vs. how else the same budget could be spent.

Watch could be a fantastic gift. But so could a few golf clubs or some pickle ball equip or whatever else might interest the family member that better facilitates the goal of getting exercise or eating better, etc. A potentially FREE dog would almost certainly get family member to at least take a few walks every day.

Last edited:

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
I read or perhaps mis-read OPs post like "potential Christmas present" not that the family member was buying for themselves. Watch can be a tool used in conjunction with all of the stuff I offered. But if it is a potential present, maybe the watch budget is the budget. If so, Watch money could buy something with which to actually get exercise benefits vs. monitor benefits of exercise, track heart rate, etc.

Certainly, if it's not a gift but just a purchase, OP's family member can buy watch and any and all exercise stuff too. I simply see a post published in mid-NOV, exploring the idea of something for somebody else and imagine holiday shopping, holiday budgets and then consider overall goal of the gift vs. how else the same budget could be spent.

Watch could be a fantastic gift. But so could a few golf clubs or some pickle ball equip or whatever else might interest the family member that better facilitates the goal of getting exercise or eating better, etc. A potentially FREE dog would almost certainly get family member to at least take a few walks every day.
Funny, I read the first post as "just asking for a friend." Who knows.

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.