Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Any other time of the year, I would have done the same. Mid-November, just ahead of Black Friday, etc... gives me a different assumption. You very well may be right. It could also be the classic "I have a friend" bit... when in fact, OP is this "other" family member. That's not exactly unheard of either.

Whatever the case, while Watch can be a nice purchase, that money can buy a lot of other things in support of that kind of goal too. Or OP and/or the family member can buy both.

Reactions: onenorth

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
If they already like the Ultra, they should definitely get it. I have an Apple Watch since the Series 1 (not Series 0), and I like the constant health monitoring that happens in the background, especially during my sleep. I use Gentler Streak as my workout app and it is perfect for me and my fitness level/mindset. But there are of course many, many fitness apps including Apple's integrated one.

ECG is more of a gimmick in my opinion, unless you have a specific heart condition. I thought I would find it more useful, but the background heart rate measurements are enough for me.

If they don't want to spend the money for the Ultra: A regular, aluminum Apple Watch is perfect to try out if it works for you or not.

Just make sure they don't mirror iPhone notifications on their Watch :D It's much better to activate the notifications on a case by case basis when you realize you actually want them on your Watch.

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
BTW I get the luddite-type comments here. I was the last person I knew to get a cell phone, and then I held onto a flip phone until the iPhone 4s came out. I used wired earbuds until 2021 when I finally sprung for AirPods Pro. I just got my first Apple Watch this year. And that's even though I have been working/playing with computers/electronics since the 1970s and I love gadgets. But I keep holding out on the new tech because I've lived without the tech, at least until I have it and then can't imagine going back to the old days of rotary dial phones.

I will just say that the Apple Watch has motivated me to exercise more often and more routinely. There is room for improvement but the watch as a constant (and non-judgmental) companion will be helpful for that too. For that alone, it was worth the price. But I also use it as an extension of my phone and that too has been beneficial (less screen time on the phone). Yes some things like sharing activity with family/friends seem gimmicky but those things don't diminish the overall experience for me. Just my experience, YMMV.

arc of the universe

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2023
I'm 55 and until earlier this year I had not worn a wrist watch for 25 years because a) they are not comfortable to me and b) I can use my phone to tell time. But I decided to get an Apple Watch last spring and I love it for several reasons.

One is the fitness/health data, which is being collected continuously even when not working out. Before I got the watch I used MapMyWalk app but it only collects data when I start a workout, while the watch is always on whether in a workout or not and keeping track of goals. Also there's a ton of data to look at. Much more than from just the iPhone.

Two is the motivation it provides to do even simple things such as standing once per hour or to let me know I am getting close to reaching a daily movement or exercise goal. Also I have started logging mood data although I don't know what I will use it for.

Three is the trend data and integration with other apps. For example, I sleep with the watch on to track sleep data and combine that with the sleep data imported from my Sleep Number bed app.

Four is offloading phone functions such as notifications, messages, Apple Pay etc., so I don't have to pick up my phone as often.

Five is the haptics which are gentle reminders and (I find) less annoying than having my phone ping me.

Apple Watch is a solid product especially because it is so well integrated into the Apple ecosystem, which makes it much more useable than a non-Apple fitness product IMHO.

i mirror all these reasons.
it was a really great summary.
so easy on Watch.
-continuous health related data
-Stand notifications (at 50 minutes after the hour) really is annoyingly wonderful
-Mindfulness related (am looking forward to iOS 17.2 with Journaling)
-Sleep data
-Offloading to Watch notifications
-Haptics
-total integration with all apple devices

by far, my favourite apple device. and with WatchOS 10 it got even better.

for me Series 8 or 9 is totally enough. Ultra 2 doesn't have (yet) much more than more accurate GPS and better battery life. but if your lifestyle is hectic, with irregular days, then that extra battery life could be the game breaker and that would be a better option.

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
for me Series 8 or 9 is totally enough. Ultra 2 doesn't have (yet) much more than more accurate GPS and better battery life. but if your lifestyle is hectic, with irregular days, then that extra battery life could be the game breaker and that would be a better option.
I had a Series 8 aluminum 41 mm but traded it for the Series 9 because I was going to buy a new band anyway and the difference was only $160 for the watch after trade.

The watch is super light and the small size is unobtrusive. I appreciate that the larger display has some advantages but as I said I had not worn a watch in years because I don't like having something bulky on my wrist. Smaller, thinner and lighter is better for me.

The Ultra is too much watch for what I need. The Series 9 gets the job done and I use my phone to review the data anyway. But the Ultra is pretty cool.

Reactions: arc of the universe

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
The Ultra is too much watch for what I need. The Series 9 gets the job done and I use my phone to review the data anyway. But the Ultra is pretty cool.
Same. I do not want something that big for a watch. I'm happy with my Series 9.

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
Gotta love all these naysayers here using highly connected devices on an online forum complaining about how useless the Watch is.

Yes, yes. Back in ancient Sumer, people were fit and trim and paid their bills on time — and the hourglass hadn’t even been invented yet, let alone the Rolex.

So, no, of course nobody needs such a thing. But, of course, nobody needs a phone or a computer … or, for that matter, shoes and clothes. Real manly he-men of manliness just glare in a manly way at small furry critters and the critters leap into a truly manly man’s manly man’s mouth to be eaten.

For those of us who aren’t quite so ugh ur ugachuka …

… for me, my Ultra is my smartphone and my 13 mini is a small tablet plus camera. The Ultra is a significantly superior smartphone to the original iPhone — which, let’s not forget, was a groundbreaking smartphone back in the day. So I wind up using the watch for most classical smartphone-type things, and mostly only dig out the iPhone when I want to read something or take pictures.

And, “oh-by-the-way,” it’s a great activity tracker / motivator. One of my most-used Watch apps is WorkOutDoors, which is perfect for pacing my bodyweight workouts and shows me a pretty map when I go on a walk.

While a Manly Man’s Man might enjoy shouting out the seconds of an interval workout to his own perfect Manly Mental Metronome, I’m quite happy to have the watch call out, “Wide-grip pullups for 30 seconds … 20 seconds … 10 seconds … 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, rest for 10 seconds … one-legged squats for 30 seconds ….”

When the watch was new to me, I made a point of making Siri happy by closing my rings as much as possible. I’ve since found a rhythm / pacing that works well for me; I could certainly keep the routine going now without the watch. But, honestly? I’m not at all confident I’d have found that rhythm in the first pace. And there’ve been plenty of times when “life happens” and I fall out of the rhythm … and it’s been the Watch that’s nudged me back into the rhythm.

So … yeah. Nobody needs any of these gadgets. But, honestly? If I had to pick just one to keep, it just might be the Ultra.

b&

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Gotta love all these naysayers here using highly connected devices on an online forum complaining about how useless the Watch is.

Yes, yes. Back in ancient Sumer, people were fit and trim and paid their bills on time — and the hourglass hadn’t even been invented yet, let alone the Rolex.

So, no, of course nobody needs such a thing. But, of course, nobody needs a phone or a computer … or, for that matter, shoes and clothes. Real manly he-men of manliness just glare in a manly way at small furry critters and the critters leap into a truly manly man’s manly man’s mouth to be eaten.

For those of us who aren’t quite so ugh ur ugachuka …

… for me, my Ultra is my smartphone and my 13 mini is a small tablet plus camera. The Ultra is a significantly superior smartphone to the original iPhone — which, let’s not forget, was a groundbreaking smartphone back in the day. So I wind up using the watch for most classical smartphone-type things, and mostly only dig out the iPhone when I want to read something or take pictures.

And, “oh-by-the-way,” it’s a great activity tracker / motivator. One of my most-used Watch apps is WorkOutDoors, which is perfect for pacing my bodyweight workouts and shows me a pretty map when I go on a walk.

While a Manly Man’s Man might enjoy shouting out the seconds of an interval workout to his own perfect Manly Mental Metronome, I’m quite happy to have the watch call out, “Wide-grip pullups for 30 seconds … 20 seconds … 10 seconds … 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, rest for 10 seconds … one-legged squats for 30 seconds ….”

When the watch was new to me, I made a point of making Siri happy by closing my rings as much as possible. I’ve since found a rhythm / pacing that works well for me; I could certainly keep the routine going now without the watch. But, honestly? I’m not at all confident I’d have found that rhythm in the first pace. And there’ve been plenty of times when “life happens” and I fall out of the rhythm … and it’s been the Watch that’s nudged me back into the rhythm.

So … yeah. Nobody needs any of these gadgets. But, honestly? If I had to pick just one to keep, it just might be the Ultra.

b&

Agreed, the Watch is my favourite piece of tech.

Dade Murphy

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2023
The ultra? Probably none, unless you just simply have to have the best. Not that there’s anything wrong with that either, hahaha

Reactions: OceanFrog

Surfsalot

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2023
Just sold my Ultra 1 after 14 months, bought it to surf in but was too heavy v a ripcurl type watch, also screen is buggy in the water, only other use was timing and for distance walking the dog lol
Might get a base model S9 not sure. Prefer seiko divers watch for everyday use.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
A family member is 50 years old and just getting aback to the gym after a few years of working 80 hours weeks since before COVID. He is definitely out of shape, but not too fat/unfit for an average 50 year old. He is now making an effort to get fitter and healthier.

He is techie and loves Apple, but has never had an Apple Watch. He also travels frequently and is interested in hiking and mountains. We know he loves the Ultra, and he has an iPhone 14 pro max.

So what would be the main benefits of an Ultra to him? Specifically, what would be the fitness and health benefits? I know I can look this up online (I have) but I’d love to hear from similar use cases and people with the watch on their wrists everyday.

Thanks in advance!!!

‘Just buy an Apple Watch and try it for 3 months and if you do not like, return it.

Thirio2

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2019
Maryville, IL
One consideration for older people is night mode on the Ultra. I hate it because it is nearly impossible to read messages, and I have not been able to turn it off. It is my understanding that this only applies to the Ultra and not the S9. So until Apple fixes this so you can turn it off,I would go with the S9.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
One consideration for older people is night mode on the Ultra. I hate it because it is nearly impossible to read messages, and I have not been able to turn it off. It is my understanding that this only applies to the Ultra and not the S9. So until Apple fixes this so you can turn it off,I would go with the S9.

You can’t turn it off for the specific watch face?

IMG_6176.jpeg

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Totally get the watch. He's a techie, he loves Apple, he has a recent iPhone, he'll absolutely love it. It'll provide just the right bit of extra motivation. Worked wonders for me.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I don't have an Ultra, but have you tried spinning the crown?

IAmStumped

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2023
A watch is not necessarily going to do a thing for improving his health...
This is true, however I found for me that the gamification of the Apple Watch system was helpful in motivating me to get out and walk/run/etc when I otherwise might not have felt like it. The push to close my rings or beat my previous distance record made getting back in shape a lot more fun.
The heart rate monitor has been a really handy tool for me as well. There is a difficult and mountainous hiking trail nearby that I love and used to frequent in the pre-pandemic days. Going back to it after the sedentary lifestyle of the pandemic wasn't easy and I could really feel the burn on the steeper sections. Pre-Apple-watch me would have just pushed through it, not wanting to be a quitter, but having my watch on my wrist showed me that my heart rate was getting dangerously high at certain points and I needed to stop. Having this information helped me to realize this trail was not safe for me in my current condition and I was able to end the hike before I pushed it too far. So, no, and Apple Watch isn't a requirement for an active lifestyle, but it is a very useful and motivational companion.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
OP: Asking Apple people why you should buy Apple products is going to get a LOT of Apple marketing. They are readily giving you what you are asking for... but whether that is best for your family member or not is not necessarily in full consideration.

A different question: does he NEED an Apple Watch for some reason? What if this was a decade+ ago when there was no Apple Watch? Could he work on his health without it? Of course he could.

sorry, but why why do people keep thinking the focus has to be on NEED rather than WANT. what is wrong with wanting? Especially if one has the means.

though I do agree with everything else you said, that tech is not always the answer, one should evaluate what else besides tech can move the needle.

But it doesnt have to be a matter of one versus the other, if one has the means, one can get a shiny new toy to motivate them and keep track of their exercise and do all those other activities... after all, one of those social activities includes a bike, which is another place where money helps. if you have the money for both, why not?

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
A potentially FREE dog would almost certainly get family member to at least take a few walks every day.

I would kill anyone that pushed a responsibility on me like that .. assuming a gift is a surprise. if it's not a surprise, then what are you actually providing the person? a lift to the pound? lol

Reactions: webbuzz

MapleBeercules

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2023
A family member is 50 years old and just getting aback to the gym after a few years of working 80 hours weeks since before COVID. He is definitely out of shape, but not too fat/unfit for an average 50 year old. He is now making an effort to get fitter and healthier.

He is techie and loves Apple, but has never had an Apple Watch. He also travels frequently and is interested in hiking and mountains. We know he loves the Ultra, and he has an iPhone 14 pro max.

So what would be the main benefits of an Ultra to him? Specifically, what would be the fitness and health benefits? I know I can look this up online (I have) but I’d love to hear from similar use cases and people with the watch on their wrists everyday.

Thanks in advance!!!

The best way to describe the apple watch is like having a coach, that never shuts up and always hounds you to do the right thing, but its a good thing.

If anything the watch provides insight to what effort you are doing to get back in shape, I used the nike fuel band during my weight loss journey and it helps alot, mostly because it had rewards and kept track of everything for me. Apple watch has the same thing, it will keep track of your progress and reward you acordingly.

I highly recommend you complement your AWU with a Withings Digital Scale, its around 120$ CAD and it will keep track of your weight, body fat and heart rate when you weigh yourself daily or however you wish to do it.

I hope you find the technology helpful in your weight loss journey, its always a struggle but its worth it in the end, I went from 320 pounds to 209 as my lowest and Im back to around 240. Im 6 foot 2... so 230ish is average weight for me.. Remember its a daily battle and the second you look in the mirror and your happy with what you see, you have lost that battle, a little Scrubs quote for ya.

Enjoy

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
The best way to describe the apple watch is like having a coach, that never shuts up and always hounds you to do the right thing, but its a good thing.

If anything the watch provides insight to what effort you are doing to get back in shape, I used the nike fuel band during my weight loss journey and it helps alot, mostly because it had rewards and kept track of everything for me. Apple watch has the same thing, it will keep track of your progress and reward you acordingly.

I highly recommend you complement your AWU with a Withings Digital Scale, its around 120$ CAD and it will keep track of your weight, body fat and heart rate when you weigh yourself daily or however you wish to do it.

I hope you find the technology helpful in your weight loss journey, its always a struggle but its worth it in the end, I went from 320 pounds to 209 as my lowest and Im back to around 240. Im 6 foot 2... so 230ish is average weight for me.. Remember its a daily battle and the second you look in the mirror and your happy with what you see, you have lost that battle, a little Scrubs quote for ya.

Enjoy
I like the coach analogy. I just got the Withings scale so I don't have to manually enter my weight into the phone and to get some more data. Every little bit helps....

OceanFrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Which exact model of Withings scale would you recommend?

DonnyDPassMeDaGravy

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2024
I can’t imagine strapping a radiation emitting device to your wrist for hours a day can be anything but harmful. How much? Depends on who you believe I guess.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I can’t imagine strapping a radiation emitting device to your wrist for hours a day can be anything but harmful. How much? Depends on who you believe I guess.

You could start learning a little about radiation. The radiation from a watch appears to be harmless. And if someone gets secondary health benefits from the watch then that’s easily a positive result.

Each to their own of course. You obviously don’t have to own an Apple Watch.

Reactions: BillGates1969
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.