Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thirio2

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2019
Maryville, IL
I am not a slave to my watch, but when I was working the stand reminder was useful to remind me to take a break from my desk every hour. I like the convenience of the Apple Watch for text notifications, Apple Pay,etc. I do use it to record workouts and occasionally take an ecg. As far as I know the O2 sensor only works when resting. If you really want to monitor O2 during a workout you need to get a finger pulse oximiter. Not convenient but works. About all I track is time, distance, max and average heart rate. I take VO2 max and heart rate recovery with a grain of salt. I enjoy my U2, but would probably enjoy a ssS9 more.

cubodado

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2022
Torino
I like health tracking, fitness tracking, had to add some apps for better health&fitness insights.
I like to have notifications & info on my wrist, I like to change the aspect of my watch often, I like the shape but wouldn’t mind getting an Ultra2 for longer battery life.
When I got it I changed and became more active in fitness.
I find it is quite precise on me, expecially GPS and HR, sleep is precise too but should add naps.

Reactions: arc of the universe

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
honestly just go to the gym or park or trail. Don’t need an Apple Watch to get in shape. It’s just marketing fluff. Now I like my Apple Watch for fitness but people have worked out for decades without smart watches.

The1Biz

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2018
Stats are fun but I don't think an Ultra is needed.

Look for a used 6 or above and slap on a Spigen Rugged Armor case.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
A family member is 50 years old and just getting aback to the gym after a few years of working 80 hours weeks since before COVID. He is definitely out of shape, but not too fat/unfit for an average 50 year old. He is now making an effort to get fitter and healthier.

He is techie and loves Apple, but has never had an Apple Watch. He also travels frequently and is interested in hiking and mountains. We know he loves the Ultra, and he has an iPhone 14 pro max.

So what would be the main benefits of an Ultra to him? Specifically, what would be the fitness and health benefits? I know I can look this up online (I have) but I’d love to hear from similar use cases and people with the watch on their wrists everyday.

Thanks in advance!!!
The only benefits of the Ultra over the cheaper Series 9 are slightly more battery confidence (you'll still charge it daily), a couple of exclusive watch faces and a nicer included strap. It also looks different; the jury is out on whether it is better.

If its gym and fitness you'll find the Series 9 or SE does 95% of the exact same job for a lot less cash. They're brilliant!

If he is someone who is hiking and out in the mountains for a few days at a time the Ultra's battery will not last that long, despite Apple's clever marketing telling you otherwise. For that (and even deeper fitness tracking) the Garmin Fenix will give you 2-3 weeks of comfortable battery life. It works 100% with the iPhone.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
The only benefits of the Ultra over the cheaper Series 9 are slightly more battery confidence (you'll still charge it daily), a couple of exclusive watch faces and a nicer included strap. It also looks different; the jury is out on whether it is better.

If its gym and fitness you'll find the Series 9 or SE does 95% of the exact same job for a lot less cash. They're brilliant!

If he is someone who is hiking and out in the mountains for a few days at a time the Ultra's battery will not last that long, despite Apple's clever marketing telling you otherwise. For that (and even deeper fitness tracking) the Garmin Fenix will give you 2-3 weeks of comfortable battery life. It works 100% with the iPhone.

It sounds like there is something wrong with your Ultra. You should not have to charge it every day during normal use.

Significant full day hikes with full hear rate detection, sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.