Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The problem is unless the vinyl was perfect, you were plagued with snaps, pops, and disturbances in the music.

Some companies (Deutsche Grammophon, for example, made high quality recordings), and, if you looked after those vinyl LPs properly, they would last for ages and retain their excellent sound quality.

Reactions: Huntn

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The problem is unless the vinyl was perfect, you were plagued with snaps, pops, and disturbances in the music.
I’m finding that is more of a care issue. I have some records that were pressed in the 1950’s and 1960’s and after giving them a proper cleaning, they sounded absolutely great.

I think more than anything, keeping the records and the needle cared for properly, one isn’t plagued with much or any pops and whatnot.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I’m finding that is more of a care issue. I have some records that were pressed in the 1950’s and 1960’s and after giving them a proper cleaning, they sounded absolutely great.

I think more than anything, keeping the records and the needle cared for properly, one isn’t plagued with much or any pops and whatnot.

Exactly; you expressed or articulated this point better than I did.

We (or, rather, I) still have LPs - records - from the 50s and 60s owned by my parents that are in perfect condition, precisely because they were - and have been - well cared for.

And, as @SandboxGeneral has said, if you look after the record and the needle properly, they should still sound great.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I remember taking good care of records, yet... The thing about digital you just have to make sure the plastic does not get scratched either, but it’s easier to accomplish that and once you have them stored in an electronic device, backed up, you are good to go.

Now I admit I’ve not listened to a vinyl recording side by side with a digital copy.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I remember taking good care of records, yet... The thing about digital you just have to make sure the plastic does not get scratched either, but it’s easier to accomplish that and once you have them stored in an electronic device, backed up, you are good to go.

Now I admit I’ve not listened to a vinyl recording side by side with a digital copy.
Give this video a watch.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
From the Earth to the Moon(soundtrack) - Spider
I reckon this music would resonate more with someone who is an engineer or in R&D(maybe because of the video and episode it is from.), but its a great tune nonetheless.
(I think the music was composed by Michael Kamen)

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

My memories of vinyl was the inevitable issues with house parties and dancing. The turntable wouldn’t cope with all the jumping around.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
1577635814920.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.