Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I very much approve of your choice of the Buena Vista Social Club-among my favourites as well.

This weekend is Orthodox Easter and as I am of Greek Orthodox background I am listening to Orthodox liturgical music from the various traditions, Greek, Slavic, Romanian but also Copt and Arabic (as there are Orthodox in Syria and Lebanon).

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
I'm not one to question anyone's personal taste, and I'm not doing it now.

But I have to ask...what am I missing here? There must certainly be something I don't understand.:confused::D

Well... Yasutaka Nakata is a brilliant and prolific Japanese electropop producer... who writes for a number of different 'projects', most of whom I like, and one of whom is MEG.

'Precious' is a sad little song of MEG's disappointment in men...

I'm not a "sampling girl" and
You are a naughty boy
Dareka to onaji kotoba ja tsukamaranai wa !!
I wanna be your precious girl... ! ?
1, 2, 3... No TESUTO KEESU ni naru ki nara zenzen nai waa

Not sure where the cat concept came from, but the live performance makes even less sense (if that helps)!! :D

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Well... Yasutaka Nakata is a brilliant and prolific Japanese electropop producer... who writes for a number of different 'projects', most of whom I like, and one of whom is MEG.

'Precious' is a sad little song of MEG's disappointment in men...

I'm not a "sampling girl" and
You are a naughty boy
Dareka to onaji kotoba ja tsukamaranai wa !!
I wanna be your precious girl... ! ?
1, 2, 3... No TESUTO KEESU ni naru ki nara zenzen nai waa

Not sure where the cat concept came from, but the live performance makes even less sense (if that helps)!! :D

YouTube: video

If you want to try a more serious Nakata project, then Capsule is probably a better choice. Here he is performing live in a Japanese Apple store!

Thanks much for taking the time to explain the genre to me.

It's...er...interesting.;) :D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
More from the 80s, with music by a group called The Cars, with a song that goes by the name of 'Heartbeat City'.

Now, at the time, I thought much of it was a dismal decade, but now I realise that the music of the era sprang authentically from the life experiences of the musicians, song-writers and singers.......

Indeed, these days, I watch documentaries and news stories of that decade with something approaching disbelief (even though I lived through it, and remember what it felt like) and find myself staring, brooding, at the TV, and wondering, was it really as bad as it looked - the awful clothes (not everyone was Don Johnson in pastel outfits which cost a fortune wearing shades and managing, inexplicably, to look cool), the grimy living conditions, the misery of high unemployment, and emigration......

But, oh, some sublime music accompanied all of the social misery, especially in the UK (and also in Ireland)......

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
For your enjoyment...

Why, thank you very much for that (and yes, I watched it - and listened to it - again).

Now, I am listening to (more 80s) Peter Gabriel with the lovely song In Your Eyes. The cover album (on my iPod and MBA, from the CD I bought back in the day when people like me bought music, and savoured the pleasure of listening to CDs) depicts a rather attractive man, a man with dark soulful eyes, dark hair falling across his forehead in an insouciant fringe, a man with a very agreeable singing voice......so, I confess when I saw a recent photograph of the same man, I could only whimper, aghast, 'tempus fugit' or something along those lines.

And yet more 80s. Before Shrink had posted the video of The Cars, (and yes, I confess...the sort of song middle class aspiring revolutionaries - ahem - used to like to dance to, on rare occasions when the revolution could be spared...) I had also listened to the altogether more elegant Godley & Creme - why yet another song from the early 80s that I loved at the time, Under Your Thumb Forever....

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
'Last Time Forever' by Squeeze....a song that haunted me when I first heard it in the mid 1980s.....great song, and as for that piano sublime riff......and the wonderful finale....

And another song from that era that I also loved: The Style Council (that amazing, soaring flute) and the song 'With Everything To Lose'....

Last edited:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
More from the 80s...

Now, at the time, I thought much of it was a dismal decade, but now I realise that the music of the era sprang authentically from the life experiences of the musicians, song-writers and singers.......

Indeed, these days, I watch documentaries and news stories of that decade with something approaching disbelief (even though I lived through it, and remember what it felt like) and find myself staring, brooding, at the TV, and wondering, was it really as bad as it looked - the awful clothes (not everyone was Don Johnson in pastel outfits which cost a fortune wearing shades and managing, inexplicably, to look cool), the grimy living conditions, the misery of high unemployment, and emigration......

But, oh, some sublime music accompanied all of the social misery, especially in the UK (and also in Ireland)......

Have yet to check out the music you posted, but this is one nice post! I too like very much the combination of the fragile and grimy or bittersweet music of some 80s musicians....yet a lot still remains to be discovered. Lots of British (electronic-minimal-cold wave) music recorded at home with first widely available (and affordable) recording equipment - low tech we would call it today - very personal, somehow sentimental and extremely raw as well.

Interesting decade for sure.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Have yet to check out the music you posted, but this is one nice post! I too like very much the combination of the fragile and grimy or bittersweet music of some 80s musicians....yet a lot still remains to be discovered. Lots of British (electronic-minimal-cold wave) music recorded at home with first widely available (and affordable) recording equipment - low tech we would call it today - very personal, somehow sentimental and extremely raw as well.

Interesting decade for sure.

Thank you.

Has been a long while since listening to The Doors.

Yes, I used to love 'The Doors', too. One (unusually warm and sunny) summer - quite some time ago - was spent brooding to 'Light My Fire' and 'Riders On the Storm' among others.

Huntn, elsewhere, has reminded me of Carl Sagan, which, in turn prompts me to listen to Vangelis and some of his superb soundtrack to the spellbinding (when first broadcast) TV series 'Cosmos' ('Heaven and Hell' and 'Alpha' in particular...)

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Going to see him performing this evening at the philharmony. :cool:

Chili Gonzales - Dot

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Going to see him performing this evening at the philharmony. :cool:

Chili Gonzales - Dot

Bravo, you lucky thing; enjoy the experience.

For my part, I have always really loved being able to see artists or musicians whose music I have admired (treasured, revered, and yes, sometimes loved) play live. it is a rare and special privilege, especially when they too, feel the honour of performing live to an audience, and treat the audience with respect.

(I remember seeing and hearing Mavis Staples, elegant, effortlessly professional, generous, gracious and spell-binding, playing live, several years ago, an utter pleasure. She made time afterwards to meet the audience, talk with people and sign autographs - a splendid artist and admirable and impressive human being.

Then there was Pink Martini - whose music I adore - and Marcus Miller - all of them sublime US artists, gave wonderfully gracious and splendid concerts which were a pleasure and a privilege to attend).

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Bravo, you lucky thing; enjoy the experience.

For my part, I have always really loved being able to see artists or musicians whose music I have admired (treasured, revered, and yes, sometimes loved) play live. it is a rare and special privilege, especially when they too, feel the honour of performing live to an audience, and treat the audience with respect.

(I remember seeing and hearing Mavis Staples, elegant, effortlessly professional, generous, gracious and spell-binding, playing live, several years ago, an utter pleasure. She made time afterwards to meet the audience, talk with people and sign autographs - a splendid artist and admirable and impressive human being.

Then there was Pink Martini - whose music I adore - and Marcus Miller - all of them sublime US artists, gave wonderfully gracious and splendid concerts which were a pleasure and a privilege to attend).

Thank you. It was very nice, he's a born musician & entertainer...although I'd like to see him playing on a rather small and more intimate stage next time. I just learned that he composed the music used in the first iPod advertisment. Guess they paid him lots of money for the three notes he used for that piece. Cool guy.

VanishGem

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2013
Currently I’m listening to James Morrison’s ‘The Awakening album’, and I’m really enjoying it at the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.