Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
I'm a sucker for Mashups. :rolleyes:

GHP's (I am the) trampoline (to the other side) with Julian Cope / The Doors / The Beatles / The Verve gets good air play here for me.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
You two need to take a chill pill, put down the 70s music (or even the 1770s music) and try expanding your minds with something different and contemporary - from this century... or even the last year! ;)

YouTube: video

Well, my musical universe incorporates material from 1370 through 1570, and, as you have so kindly pointed out 1770, not forgetting 1870 and indeed the entire twentieth century (which includes the 1970s). I confess that much of what passes for music since the Millennium has escaped me.......

Brahms Hungarian Dances

Class. Sheer class.....

Myself, just now I am listening to a wonderful album called 'Mexican Spaghetti Western' by Chingón. You can find some of their work in the 'Mariachi' cycle ('Once Upon A Time In Mexico', 'Maricahi', etc).

Songs include the rollocking 'Cuka Rock', the wonderful 'Malaguena Salerosa', (which is what I am listening to just now), the gripping 'Mexican Sauage Link', haunting 'Alacrán Y Pistolero' and and terrific 'Siente Mi Amor'......among several others....just moved on to 'Fideo del Oeste' from the same album (superb).

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Love this Aussie band, the Cat Empire, particularly this song! Everyone here is sick of it after me playing it a million times now... :eek:

The words are great, the film-clip is fantastic too! Enjoy! :cool:

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
A song from the early 1990s called 'Get The Message' by a group called Electronic.

One of my favourite groups of the nineties... My favourite album is 'Twisted Tenderness'.

Never had the success that the combined talents of Mr Sumner and Mr Marr might have warranted.

Here's another favourite band from the same time...

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
One of my favourite groups of the nineties... My favourite album is 'Twisted Tenderness'.

Never had the success that the combined talents of Mr Sumner and Mr Marr might have warranted.

Here's another favourite band from the same time...

Thanks for posting this; lovely. I, too, have never understood why they were not better known (and appreciated, more popular.....more widely admired...)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
"Sultans of Swing" by Dire Straits. A terrific song when it came out, and still timeless - I find myself smiling every time I hear it. This was a song which defined the term 'cool' for me when I first heard it......

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
A song from the early 1990s called 'Get The Message' by a group called Electronic.

video

I have both Electronic and Raise The Pressure in my CD collection. My fave Electronic song is "Dark Angel" from Raise The Pressure. It almost begs for a Shep Pettibone remix a la "Bizarre Love Triangle".

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
And then, I had to follow Sultans of Swing - what a magnificent finale - it is still irresistible - with 'Private Investigations' also by Dire Straits, Belfast Child by Simple Minds was a subsequent choice, and 'Words' by The Christians...

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
In light of last nights news of the lost of a great hero,
Slayer, Reign in Blood

Last edited by a moderator:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
An evening of the Buena Vista Social Club......one of my all time favourite series of albums.....an album (a set of albums) I find myself returning to again, and again.....such effervescent brilliant, unquenched enthusiasm, and sheer effortless class, sunshine in the soul and perfection in the ear......over a decade ago, I had the rare and exquisite privilege of hearing them play live, a transcendental experience......

Just now, I am listening to the soulful and sublime Omara Portuondo singing La Sitiera

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.