Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
Seeing that made me buy it straight away.:D

I had totally forgotten about this gem.:eek:

The Driving Song pure 1970's sound.:cool:

Great album. The drum solo on Jump Into The Fire reminds me of an old drummer friend of mine who used to blast his stereo and play along on his set. Listening to this stuff brings me back to the good old days.

You should check out Who Is Harry Nilsson (And Why Is Everyone Talkin') It's a great documentary on his life and music. You can watch it free on Netflix

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Best song ever written?

YouTube: video

No. A very good song, great lyrics, and very reminiscent of its era which it expressed exceptionally well (I find watching clips of certain news stories from that year match with this song almost perfectly), but no, not the best song ever written.

In fact, I wonder whether the music of the Stones has actually aged as well as that of some other groups from the Sixties (here, in particular, The Beatles' come to mind - some of their later stuff has aged really well, and, to my ear, the 'White' album still sounds superb). Personally, I'm not sure that it has aged all that well.......

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
No. A very good song, great lyrics, and very reminiscent of its era which it expressed exceptionally well (I find watching clips of certain news stories from that year match with this song almost perfectly), but no, not the best song ever written.

In fact, I wonder whether the music of the Stones has actually aged as well as that of some other groups from the Sixties (here, in particular, The Beatles' come to mind - some of their later stuff has aged really well, and, to my ear, the 'White' album still sounds superb). Personally, I'm not sure that it has aged all that well.......

For me, the old, rhythm and blues based stuff stands up best...Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Howlin' Wolf...etc.

Reactions: MSastre

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
For me, the old, rhythm and blues based stuff stands up best...Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Howlin' Wolf...etc.

Yes, it does, agreed, and I find that I also like some of the 'one hit' songs of less well known groups (I posted a few some days ago).

Another who has aged extraordinarily well - in both music and appearance - is David Bowie; his music (from the 60s) is as fresh as ever, and, astonishingly, he is still capable of writing good stuff....

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Yes, it does, agreed, and I find that I also like some of the 'one hit' songs of less well known groups (I posted a few some days ago).

Another who has aged extraordinarily well - in both music and appearance - is David Bowie; his music (from the 60s) is as fresh as ever, and, astonishingly, he is still capable of writing good stuff....

Agree on Bowie.

I just love reading what you young folks remember as "old" rock and roll.

You kids!!!;)

:D

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
I wonder whether the music of the Stones has actually aged as well as that of some other groups from the Sixties (here, in particular, The Beatles' come to mind - some of their later stuff has aged really well, and, to my ear, the 'White' album still sounds superb). Personally, I'm not sure that it has aged all that well.......

Songs like this don't age. They're timeless. And personally I think the Stone's music has aged far better than that of other bands of the time, for example the Moody Blues, or (dare I say it) The Beatles. You still see/hear the Stone's music in modern media everyday, eg. Sympathy For The Devil was the Call Of Duty: Black Ops theme song - a franchise aimed at a generation that on-the-whole, is into it's dubstep & 'RnB' (not that modern 'RnB' music is even real Rhythm & Blues anymore). If I here a Beatles song it instantly takes me into the 60's. Whether it be the weird stuff they did early on - or the decent tracks they put out from say '67 and up.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Songs like this don't age. They're timeless. And personally I think the Stone's music has aged far better than that of other bands of the time, for example the Moody Blues, or (dare I say it) The Beatles. You still see/hear the Stone's music in modern media everyday, eg. Sympathy For The Devil was the Call Of Duty: Black Ops theme song - a franchise aimed at a generation that on-the-whole, is into it's dubstep & 'RnB' (not that modern 'RnB' music is even real Rhythm & Blues anymore). If I here a Beatles song it instantly takes me into the 60's. Whether it be the weird stuff they did early on - or the decent tracks they put out from say '67 and up.

A well argued answer, and I can't really fault it. ;) Agree, too, that the Beatles' best stuff was post 67 - these days, I find I really have little time for anything of their prior to 65.....

I suppose I was taking issue with your original comment about 'best ever song' as a bit too hyperbolic......

----------

Agree on Bowie.

I just love reading what you young folks remember as "old" rock and roll.

You kids!!!;)

:D

Ah, well, methinks it is all simply a matter of perspective......the rich and deep perspective afforded by the passage of time....

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
LOL. They've only been going for 18 years...

Here's my favourite track... it's verging a bit on NSFW. Superb choreography from Mr. Preljocaj!

YouTube: video

Hey, I listen to Medieval madrigals, Renaissance music and absolutely love some of the masters of the Baroque era (Scarlatti, Soler....) And I adore what is called 'classical' music (W. A. Mozart is simply sublime...and L v. Beethoven utterly magisterial)....

When speaking of time where music is concerned, '18 years' is the merest blink of an eyelid.....and yes, to my ear, 'Air' are what I term 'modern'......

But, while I may dispute your sense of time, I have no quarrel whatsoever with your choice of track.....excellent and a lovely piece of music...

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Listening to the amazing sounds of Chick Corea and his Forever gang. Such a good bonus when something good is heavily conected to previous holidays, too. In this case southern France. :)

iBoffin

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2013
UK
Manics!

lfh3n.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.